CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Complete Series Playthrough

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 5 - MARCH 7TH 2009

CHAPTER 6 - 1

Chapter 6 - 1 is essentially a continuation of what Chapter 5 started, just endless gun fights with only the scenery helping to mix it up. You chase Wesker onto a huge cargo ship, and have to fight from the top deck, down into the depths of the boat. It’s the first time in the game we have the huge minigun Majini, who are just a total pain to be honest. I died a couple of times trying to kill the harder-than-I-remember Duvalia. I didn’t have any flash grenades and I just couldn’t get the time down. The only story progression within the chapter is Chris and Sheva running into Excella again, but as she flees Chris shoots an attaché case out of her hand and inside is a injector with the code PG67AW printed on it.

The chapter ends with a spectacular cutscene. We finally witness Ozwell E. Spencer on screen at long last. It is the fateful meeting in 2006, but mercifully we see it moments before Chris and Jill burst in. Spencer tells Wesker that he is the last of a project of trying to find a human being with endless potential. He curses the fact that he is an old man now, and tells Wesker that he was to become a god. Wesker is enraged by this revelation about his past, and thrusts his hand through Spencer’s chest and throws him down, noting that Spencer had been ‘arrogant until the end’.

I personally love the sequence. It’s a great Blade Runner-esque scene of a character meeting in a sense his mentor or creator, and finding that they are frail old man , and ultimately killed by their creation. It’s brilliant in my opinion, and if that’s Spencer’s only scene then it’s good enough.

PLAY TIME: 27:26

MODE: Veteran

DEATHS: 3

CHAPTER 6 - 2

This chapter begins with the death of Excella, Wesker has effectively double crossed her and infected her with Uroboros. She is immediately consumed by the Uroboros virus and a huge collection of dead bodies that have been piled up on the deck are also consumed. The monster becomes absolutely gigantic and chase Chris and Sheva until they have no choice but to hide in the ship.

As they make their way to the bridge they come across a couple of very interesting files. One is written by an ‘Alex W’. Is this the same Alex that Spencer was talking about? He’s talking about the death of Wesker back in 1998… Alex W…. Wesker? There is also a file written by Spencer discussion the downfall of Umbrella. It’s all great material, and easily the best in game files in YEARS.

Chris and Sheva discover an extremely convenient satellite laser and go out to fight the Excella monster. By this point, bizarrely I was starting to run out of ammo, veteran had really took it out of me and I struggled quite a bit with the boss, and died numerous times until I could do it, eventually finishing it with the satellite laser.

PLAY TIME: 45:19

DEATHS: 6

DESPERATE ESCAPE

We take a brief break from Chris and Sheva, and discover how Jill is doing. After she encouraged Chris to go on ahead, she collapses and is shortly after found by none other than Josh Stone. He tells Jill he is going to go after Chris and Sheva and that he has a helicopter nearby. Wasting no time they set off through the dock to the extraction point.

Desperate Escape is just non-stop, frustrating action from start to finish. Plentiful enemies, rocket turrets endlessly raining down rockets at you, and gun fights galore. It’s not a great section of the game to be honest, although Jill and Josh work really together. As they battle the Majini, Jill says to Josh that she quickly needs to head to communication tower as she needs to get a message to Chris. Thankfully, the tower is in the same direction as the extraction point.

When they arrive there, Jill contacts Chris in a scene we haven’t yet seen from Chris’ point of view. Jill reveals that in order to maintain his superhuman abilities, Wesker has to take a serum called PG67AW, and Jill tells them that if Wesker was to overdose on it, it will act like it a virus itself and poison him. The conversation is abruptly ended when the connection breaks, and Jill and Josh head to the helipad to meet up with BSAA heli pilot Doug. A huge battle occurs, but Doug eventually arrives and after landing, gets out to give Jill and Josh covering fire. As Jill and Josh board the chopper, a stray missile kills Doug. Josh pilots the chopper, and both he and Josh narrowly escape, making their way after Chris and Sheva.

PLAYTIME: 25:27

MODE: Normal (given how I was currently doing in the main game, and knowing how frustrating this chapter is, I backed down from Veteran.)

DEATHS: 2

CHAPTER 6 - 3

This chapter starts off with Chris and Sheva coming down from the deck just after the Uroborus monster has been killed. As they return to the bridge, they notice Wesker stood in a hangar with a stealth bomber. As they take a lift down to get him, Chris receives a call from Jill, who explains about the PG67AW serum. Sheva notes it’s the very same that they retrieved from Excella, and with this new weapon in their arsenal, go after Wesker.

The first section is yet another huge battle area, with 3 doors that must be opened to gain progress. The first two are huge doors that open slowly, meaning you have to fend off lots of monsters, the second of which has you being attacked by two Reapers. Like the Lickers, I don’t know what the hell was going on, but this point my ammo was practically all gone, and I died lots of times against the Reapers, and then a couple of times with the Big Man Majini after. It was a very tiresome part of the playthrough to be honest.

Eventually after many a retry, we get through to fight Wesker. An amazing fight sequence kicks off the battle, and with the song ‘Winds of Madness’ playing through the battle, it’s one of the greatest moments in the series. Chris and Sheva must use a rocket launcher and the cover of darkness, to hurt Wesker enough to be able to inject with the serum. I do this reasonably quickly - only dying once, and Wesker is shown for the first time since CODE: Veronica, to be physically hurt. He boards the jet and starts the take off procedure, but and Chris and Sheva manage to climb on board before take off.

Inside Wesker reveals that he plans to detonate Uroboros into the atmosphere, as it will ensure Complete Global….. Saturation! With that he attacks Chris and Sheva in a bloody brilliant QTE battle. I manage to do it first time, and notice that Wesker is amazingly still wielding his Samurai Edge with the STARS logo on (I remember first seeing this in the trailer and thinking it had a huge relevance, but alas). Chris and Sheva open the cargo door and Wesker is sucked out as the bomber crash lands into an active volcano.

As they emerge the wreckage, Wesker is waiting and he’s not happy. He quickly fuses himself with Uroboros and becomes extremely powerful. Chris and Sheva do battle in the volcano, Chris takes out his anger on a boulder and I die a couple of times because Sheva ran out of bloody ammo on the section where she has to draw Wesker’s attention. Annoying.

Eventually Chris, Sheva and Wesker end up in the middle of the area they are in, and the final battle occurs. A great hidden prompt allows you to do an instant finisher on him, and as Sheva hacks at Wesker’s heart with a knife, Chris impales him through the back while Sheva the chest.

The ground Wesker is stood on gives and he falls into the lava, at the same time Josh and Jill arrive in the helicopter and drop a ladder down to Chris and Sheva. They climb into the chopper, as Wesker emerges from the lava grabbing the chopper from a great distance. Jill gives Chris and Sheva a rocket launcher each and they both fire at Wesker, and he is at last consumed in a huge explosion and sinks into the lava dead.

The four survivors leave the volcano as the sun rises, and Chris looking at Sheva and Jill asks himself again whether it’s all worth fighting for, to which he answers himself, “For a world without fear? Yeah, it’s worth it…”

PLAYTIME: 45:15

DEATHS: 11

----

So there we have it. Storywise the most important game in the series since CODE: Veronica. The amount of ground covered in this game, whether through files or cutscenes is staggering really and it delivers on so many levels. Seeing Spencer at last was perfect even if many don’t like it, the back story to Jill as I’ve mentioned is brilliant and although her death isn’t anywhere near as dramatic as Capcom perhaps would have us believe I don’t mind it at all.

The Wesker children is the games biggest revelation, but again that’s not as huge as some people like to make out. It’s simply an experiment engineered by Spencer to raise 13 people in a controlled way so that at some point in their lives they will receive the virus he received from Birkin. I always liked the idea that Birkin and Wesker essentially cheat the project and Spencer, and that by using the virus when he did, it allows Wesker to fake his death and leave Umbrella. The revelation though, that there is another surviving Wesker child, Alex is a huge moment in the series, and one I hope Capcom deal with in a future title. Biohazard 5 for me is stunning, and I have so much time for it. Gameplay wise it isn’t bad, but for every false step the gameplay might take, it rewards in dividends in story. A high point in the series playthrough.

So where to next? Will Chris and Jill likely turn up again now Wesker is finally dead? Does Chris have a reason to fight anymore? One more movie, and one more game to finish!

--
October 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD DAMNATION - FEBRUARY 2011

Well all of a sudden I’ve realised the playthrough is quickly coming to an end. With Damnation now watched all we have left is Biohazard 6… It’s been less than two months and we are nearly done!

So here we have Damnation, the second of the two Biohazard CG movies. It’s a mostly stand alone story set in the fictional Eastern Slav Republic. There is a large civil war going on, with the rebels trying to overthrow the government and reclaim the country. Leon S. Kennedy is in town to investigate the use of BOW’s in the conflict.

Not long after his arrival he is told by Ingrid Hunnigan, that he is to withdraw at once. Leon isn’t happy as he wants to get to the bottom of the BOW’s and ceases contact with Ingrid and carries on anyway.

He soon runs into a Licker, and during the battle an explosion knocks him unconscious. Just before he passes out however, he sees a man actually controlling a Licker with a simple gesture. When he wakes up, Leon is bound to a chair in the company of 3 of the rebels.

After a bit of banter and some exposition, Leon learns that the elder of the rebel group is able to control the Lickers by using a Control Plaga, and that many people have been possessed by the subordinate plaga. An attack from the army causes Leon and the rebels to flee, and after Leon saves one of them from a Ganado attack, they create an alliance. Unfortunately the elder cannot withstand the plaga within him anymore and ‘Buddy’, someone high up in the rebels executes him.

Buddy decides to go and retrieve another Dominant Plaga to lead another group of Lickers to try and overthrow President Svetlana Belikova, who resides in her Presidential palace nearby. Leon goes after him to try and stop him but is too late.

At this time, Ada Wong infiltrates the Presidential palace, disguised as an advisor of the BSAA, she gives the President plenty of intel about Las Plagas. She eventually runs into Leon as he finds he’s too late to stop Buddy retrieving the Plaga. She hints that they need to continue on from ‘that night’, which is clearly an event we’ve not yet seen between them. She takes off just as mysteriously.

Buddy makes off for the palace with Leon close behind, and the first wave of Lickers devestate the forces guarding. Leon arrives to many corpses which carry on well inside the palace.

President Belikova learns that Ada is a spy, and they have a quite spectacular fight which ultimately end with Ada being captured, she however escapes just as easily with using a knife hidden within her heels.

Ada and Leon arrive in a large lab facility beneath the Palace, and discover a huge hive live structure where they are effectively mass producing the dominant species Plaga. At that point though, President Belikova arrives with a huge security force, and after a brief skirmish, Ada and Leon flee. Buddy then attacks with an army of Lickers and decimate the Belikova’s security force. Buddy charges Belikova but she is now sheltered behind a large sheet of toughened glass. She activates, to my absolute delight, two T-103 Tyrants (remember them?!) and they begin to fight off the Lickers, and pursue Buddy and Leon. They barely survive thanks to a bit of remote help from Ada and head outside.

One Tyrant appears first and despite Buddy throwing seemingly endless Lickers at it, they are all powerless to stop the relentless and insanely powerful Tyrant. However, Leon is able to use a tanker full of fuel and incinerate it. As a result though, the Tyrant limiter coat is destroyed and the Tyrant becomes a Super Tyrant. Only by using a tank, and some more Lickers are Leon and Buddy able to stop it.

To their horror though, two more Super Tyrants appear, and when death is nearly certain, a US airstrike destroys the two Tyrants. A joint attack from the US and Russia have come to end the civil conflict.

Leon and Buddy have a brief conversation, but Buddy is nearly consumed by the Plaga and attempts to commit suicide, but Leon has an alternative, and shoots him through the spine. Severing the connection between the Plaga and Buddy, removing the use of his legs but very much saving his life.

The events of Damnation conclude with:

-Ada giving a Dominant species Plaga to her employer (who many of us believe was originally intended to be Simmons - it even looks like him - but through timeline issues can’t).

-Leon becoming a little disheartened that the government were watching the whole time, and were going to act anyway. And that despite everything, nothing has really changed.

-Buddy returns to his previous profession, a teacher.

-President Belikova is forced to stand as a result of the conflict.

-----

Damnation, whilst quite good should actually be better and a little more relevant to the series. As it happens, it’s a mostly throw away entry to the storyline.

The film is also pretty slow up to literally the moment Ada and Leon enter the lab and the Tyrants enter the fray, then the movie engages full throttle and doesn’t let off until the end. The Tyrants are absolutely stunningly well realised. Stupendously powerful and intimidating. Indeed, It’s the first real time I think their potential has been shown in any media, very impressive.

Altogether, a fine entry in the series.

Just Biohazard 6 to finish!

October 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 6

CHRIS - CHAPTER 2 - DECEMBER 24TH 2012

So here we are, 3 years since Biohazard 5 and the beginning of the end of the playthrough. I have decided to break up the chapter order to allow a perfectly chronological playthrough.

We join Chris, who after the events of Biohazard 5 has seemingly been made Captain of his own BSAA unit. Among his team of Piers Nevins, and Finn Macauley. Finn gives a small briefing that they are now fighting mutated humans called J’avo. Chris gives a encouraging speech and they make their way out to fight.

Edonia is heavily war torn, with a unit of the BSAA battling a huge number of J’avo. Unlike the events of Africa however, the BSAA has seriously geared up, and now bring convoys, a plentiful amount of troops and lots and lots of firepower. It’s not long before the BSAA start to punch through the enemy, but as soon as they do and absolutely BOW attacks. Chris and Piers are able to repel it and Finn eventually turns up with an APC and uses it’s heavy machine gun to force it to retreat. After crossing a few more enemy checkpoints, they emerge into a huge square in the middle of town.

There they have an unlikely meeting. It appears SHERRY BIRKIN, (now a spritely 26 year old and all grown up) is in town and is working for National Security. She has a member of the mercenary force that the BSAA are fighting, and she has placed him under protection. Chris recognises the name, and tells Sherry she knows who she is via Claire. Sherry also knows Chris by name too. This brief meeting is cut short by the arrival of the giant BOW, and this time it’s not alone.

Chris and his force of the BSAA, and Sherry and her new friend decide to team up to take out the BOWs, which they ultimately achieve thanks to an airstrike from the BSAA. I do actually suffer my only two deaths of the scenario, once by hitting with a car and another by being hit with a truck, both insta-kills. Chris helps Sherry escape with her mercenary and part on good terms, but Chris seems to think he has met the man before somewhere…

Chris and Piers enter City Hall, and the game suddenly slows down and all of a sudden I realise I am absolutely loving Biohazard 6. The atmosphere is City Hall is decidedly creepy with all the cocoons everywhere. Horrible figures of people frozen in pain ridden gestures and positions, it’s wonderfully icky. Chris and Piers move through the building and quickly discover… Ada Wong?!

(Blimey - 3 familiar faces already and we are only 30 minutes in!)

To my surprise Chris makes nothing of Ada Wong at all, not even as much as recognising her name. How strange after all these years he’s not aware at all, not even after her role as BSAA ‘advisor’ in Damnation… That is all a bit too convenient for my liking.

Ada reveals that the J’avo are created by a new virus called the C-Virus, and the terrorist group are called Neo-Umbrella. Chris thanks her for the information and they all join up to leave building together.

After fighting some new BOWs in the guise of a huge hulking creature called the Napad, and a armoured lizard type things called Strelat. They emerge from the cocoons of humans, and are incredibly formidable BOWs, particularly the Napad. Eventually, as they reach the exit, a huge door slams down and Ada has vanished. Chris and Piers are divided from the team, with trapped behind the steel bars of the door. Ada reappears on the other side of the room, and throws a needle bomb into the room, infecting all the BSAA. Chris is forced to watch in horror as his team become engulfed in an icky crysalis, including Finn, but it’s not long before Napad’s emerge from the cocoons. One charges Chris and slams him repeatedly at a wall, and throws him violently down to the ground, he is knocked out instantly, and the scene fades to white as Piers desperately shoots the Napads while trying to drag Chris to safety.

PLAY TIME: 1:02:37

MODE: Normal

JAKE - CHAPTER 1 - DECEMBER 24TH

It’s time to meet who our mysterious mercenary is. We meet him sat down in a room on his own, he looks at a syringe for a moment and injects the contents into his neck. It has no effect on him, but other mercenaries in the facility start to convulse violently. One of them attacks our newcomer, but he quickly dispatches him with some fancy hand to hand combat.

A girl runs in, we recognise her from Chris’ campaign as the returning Sherry Birkin. Apparently she needs this man whom she calls Jake Mueller. Turns out the syringe contained the C-virus, and that Jake holds the antibodies in his blood which Sherry needs. He negotiates a crazy fee, which ultimately Sherry’s employers agree too.

As they escape the facility, which is currently under attack by the BSAA, a huge hulking creature called Ustanak is searching for Jake, it seems Sherry isn’t the only one interested in him. Ustanak makes his appearance and chases Jake, and catches up to them in a large warehouse.

This fight is actually really good, giving a classic Biohazard vibe, whilst also being a joy to play using the heavily refined controls. Dodging, sliding and shooting is actually bloody brilliant in this game. Ustanak himself is a great creature, invoking the relentlessness of Nemesis but probably being more terrifying to look at. A great addition to the mythos.

Ustanak is eventually defeated by Sherry and Jake, and the floor gives way and they fall into an underground section beneath the warehouse. There they find dark tunnels of seriously creepy mannequins, and crudely drawn faces scribbled on the walls. The atmosphere is very dark, and almost surreal with all the frozen, albeit fake bodies, almost shadowing bizarrely what Chris and Piers will find shortly in city hall.

Sherry and Jake emerge into the town square and fight the large BOW’s again, this time I manage to escape death however and the fight goes considerably easier.

As Sherry and Jake depart Chris and Piers and leave in a helicopter, Jake finalise his deal with Sherry and her employers and begins to ask about Chris before he stops himself. At that moment the helicopter is attacked by a returning Ustanak. As insanely over the top aerial battle occurs as Sherry and Jake are attacked by a chaingun wielding Ustanak, who hops between helicopters as they are shot down. Eventually he boards the chopper Sherry and Jake are in but a well placed gas canister knocks him out into the sky. Jake quickly grabs a parachute and taking hold of Sherry, plummets from the sky. As the parachute opens, a stray rotor from one of the exploding choppers rips straight through the parachute, and Jake and Sherry fall quickly to the ground, where the chapter ends...

PLAY TIME: 46:04

DEATHS: 0

----

When played chronologically, Biohazard 6 actually starts off very very strongly. Chris’ journey carries on in a natural way with a new conflict. The returning Sherry is in my opinion absolutely amazing. I never thought they’d do what they did with her character and she has come back with a really cool and no-nonsense attitude, but is also sarcastic and pretty funny. She is definitely a fantastic addition to the Biohazard universe and it’s so good to have her back after all this time. At this point seemingly nothing has been mentioned of her exposure to the G-virus, but I’m sure that will change.

Piers is initially a bit short tempered and hot headed, and not overly likable at this time, but it’s amazing how well Jake comes across, being himself quite difficult and also interested in Chris somewhat. It’s amazing how well he works as a character when we actually just think he’s a nobody with a natural immunity to the C-Virus. Such a shame this will change very shortly.

And Ada returns yet again, seemingly more than ever working behind the scenes. She mentions Neo-Umbrella as being the bio-terrorists, but then does a truly out of character act by causing the needless deaths of several BSAA members. What is her agenda, and why did she go to such extremes? And how has Chris never heard of her?!

Biohazard 6 has started off VERY strongly it must be said, and I am actually blown away by how much fun I’ve had so far. The health system is woeful, as is the inventory, and some of the mechanics don’t work, but the controls, the setting, the monsters and the characters at the minute are of the high quality we expect from the series. I look forward to replaying the game again.

October 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 6

JAKE + SHERRY - CHAPTER 2 - DECEMBER 24/25TH 2012

We catch up with Sherry and Jake moments after they hit the ground hard from their botched parachute jump. Jake seems okay, but to his horror Sherry has been impaled through the back by a huge piece of shrapnel.

Jake is unsure what to do, but Sherry begs him to take the metal out. Reluctantly he does, and we get to see there is more to Sherry than meets the eye. The wound heals nearly instantly and Sherry gets up physically okay. Jake says that perhaps it should her blood they should be testing, and Sherry replies that they already have, more than she could stand… Wow.

What follows is a rather silly fetch quest, involving some lost data from Sherry’s device that needs retrieving. I don’t know about blood tests or anything, but surely with Jake in tow would it be really necessary to go hunting when he could be simply be retested again? Anyhow, whilst being attacked by J’avo in a snow blizzard (in a strangely effective sequence I found this time), they seek refuge in a nearby cabin.

We have Jake quiz Sherry on her healing ability, and in one of the best moments in the game, Sherry tells a brief story of her father, her exposure to the G-Virus, and how Leon and Claire rescued her and she has since spent her life trying to live up to the example they set for her. It’s a wonderful, superb moment of characterisation, and we love Sherry more and more each time we see her. What a wonderful realisation of the character.

Their conversation is cut short however by another wave of attacking J’avo, they escape the cabin just as an avalanche starts to fall, and they escape on two nearby snow mobiles. As anyone knows, this section is absolutely horrible. It should be a fun little diversion in the game, but just to a stupidly punishing level of difficulty which is often dependant on luck and a gift of foresight, (even though it’s scripted) make this a painfully frustrating section. I died twice however, less than what I was expecting.

Jake and Sherry survive and end up in a nearby mine, where they quickly see the Ustanak still hunting them. This section is essentially stealth all the way, and although the mechanic of trying evade these little bugs that Ustanak uses to find you is clunky, it’s still tense when he starts charging after you, and you frantically try to find somewhere to hide. The mine section ends with a sequence of rooms that you need to rush through while he charges behind, until you ultimately find a large ridable tunnel drill, and use it to grind Ustanak into a wall.

As Sherry and Jake emerge from the mine and see the rendezvous site, they are fired upon by a large group of J’avo, and unbeknown to them Ustanak has revived and appears behind Sherry, hitting her incredibly hard so she lands out cold. Jake is stomped to the floor when he notices Ada standing before him. She drops the bombshell and informs Jake he is none other than the son of Albert Wesker, and that is heir to a very special blood type. Ustanak then stomps on Jake once more, and the chapter ends.

PLAY TIME: 46:24

DEATHS: 4

----

So another chapter, and I absolutely love all the scenes with Sherry. The little bit of backstory we get is simply but enough to satisfy. This is marred slightly by the fact that we now know Jake is connected to the series in a way I don’t think anyone would have ever expected.

It just doesn’t work I’m afraid, that he’s the son of Wesker. It’s just a totally implausible and frankly ridiculous concept. I *hope* Capcom realise this and pull an absolute blinder and make it so it was all an issue of confusion and he is infact the son of Alex Wesker.

The chapter however is a fine mix, bit of linear exploration, and a nice attempt at pace breaking and set piece at the end with Ustanak in the mines. It’s just a shame the snowmobile section is just so badly designed. Should Capcom ever make a Directors Cut of Biohazard 6 which fixes much of the problems as I’d love them to do (yes I know they won't), the vehicle sections should be remade, and made well.

Still, 3 Chapters in and aside from the silly Jake being Wesker’s son angle, the game is great!

October 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

Now that radio silence has been lifted we can resume! I've been busy!

ADA - CHAPTER 1 - JUNE 27TH 2013

So after finally learning a little more of Ada from the ending of Jake and Sherry’s last chapter where she captured them both, it’s time to learn a little bit about her motives this time round.

We start with her arriving, quite naked, to a submarine deep underwater. As she gears up ready to go, a brief flashback shows her being contacted by someone called Derek Simmons. He gives Ada co-ordinates to the submarine and implies it’s a trip she needs to take.

We catch up with Ada back on the sub, and begin our search. The beginning of the chapter is again different to what we had for both Jake and Chris’ scenarios. Ada has to stealthily make her way round the ship using ducts and silent takedowns and it’s actually considerably more fun using those mechanics instead of just blasting your way through. The enemies are bizarre, J’avo like we are now used to, but these are wearing strange armour resembling an insect.

It’s not long before we stumble into a very elaborately decorated room, which houses - get this - an actual puzzle! It’s a simple puzzle, but a puzzle nonetheless, involving matching up images to a painting. Not long after solving it we come to a room with a large projector which Ada activates.

Things start to now get a little strange, Ada is given instructions to help Jake and Sherry to escape Edonia, except that now happened 6 months ago and Ada doesn’t remember ever hearing the orders. What exactly is going on? Ada was in Edonia though?

An alarm sounds and groups of J’avo rush to Ada, and the resulting battles as we make our escape causes an explosion on the sub which ruptures the hull. The level sadly slips into total tedium now, as you have to escape a series of corridors, ladders and rushing water. It’s bloody awful, and so many pointless deaths caused because of the rushing water.

When you reach the final section, there’s a new type of J’avo. An incredibly annoying large hornet type thing, that surrounds itself with a swarm of smaller hornets, a truly ridiculous enemy and even more irritating to fight. The final section is gated with a strange question and answer section where you have to give answers into a microphone whilst fighting endless J’avo. Ada answers some questions about her beliefs and intentions (but still gives absolutely nothing away about herself).

With the questions completed Ada is able to escape the exploding sub. A final conversation between herself and Simmon’s reveals that Simmons is planning to start armageddon by launching a biohazard in America, and then in China. And the person taking responsibility? Neo-Umbrella’s very own… Ada Wong. What the hell is going on here?

PLAY TIME: 40:10

DEATHS: 1

LEON & HELENA - CHAPTER 1 - JUNE 29TH 2013

With seemingly all the major players of Biohazard 6 in place, we are now introduced to a couple more - this game is certainly going huge on scale and people. We meet Leon S. Kennedy again, and straight away his gun is drawn. We see a woman, a Helena Harper and before both she and Leon is a zombie. The zombie lurches toward Helena and just as it lunges for her, Leon shoots the undead. It turns out to be the current President, Adam Benford.

Helena says everything is her fault, and they are both contacted by the also returning Ingrid Hunnigan who informs Leon that Helena is with the secret service. Apparently there has been a full scale in biohazard in Tall Oaks, a small town in the United States. Ingrid arranges an evacuation, but Helena tells Leon they must go to the cathedral. Leon bluffs Ingrid and they both make their way through the university they have currently found themselves in (Leon’s campaign starts rather clumsily).

Thought painfully slow paced and scripted far too much, the university is a wonderfully atmospheric section. As you go through large, empty halls where a dinner party was to be held it’s wonderfully eerie with all the balloons and long dark halls. In one sequence, the game has shown more atmosphere than nearly all of Biohazard 5.

We run into a pointlessly length survivor rescue as we escort a father looking for his daughter, but before we can get them off of the current floor, the girl has transformed into a zombie and killer her father. The remainder of the university section is more combat focused and it’s not long before Leon and Helena escape in a Heavy Rain inspired car driving section, which is also interrupted by a zombie. The chapter goes completely crazy now and you blast through the locations rapidly just blasting zombies all the way through. Despite the fact that Leon and Helena battle zombies, the gameplay is practically identical to the other scenarios. Despite a trip through the sewers, to a subway, to the chaos in the streets and ultimately a siege in a gun shop which ends with Leon and the survivors boarding a bus, the chapter is over long and overstays its welcome somewhat.

PLAY TIME: 1:23:08

LEON & HELENA - CHAPTER 2 - JUNE 29TH 2013

Chapter 2 for Leon and Helena continues the chaos exactly as Chapter 1 left it, and I start to wonder if Capcom marketed the campaigns wrong. The bus ends up crashing, and everyone on board dies except for Leon and Helena, who would have thought, and look! They’ve crashed conveniently right in front of the cathedral they were heading too.

I jest, as I find this chapter for Leon and Helena rather good. The setting of the cathedral is good and although the puzzles are archaic at least the modern Capcom of the day had a go at doing something a little different. Leon and Helena, after chasing a dog with a key, and surviving a huge zombie hoard outside the cathedral are ultimately allowed to enter by the survivors. They need to move the large statue by the altar as Helena needs to go beneath the cathedral. Whilst inside, they solve a few puzzles including deactivating some ludicrous crossbow wielding statues. Eventually the statue is moved and they can gain access below. However a hideous creature called the Lepotitsa emerges from beneath the statue, and emits a blue fog which can instantly turn the people into zombies. Lepotitsa is a seriously creepy monster, it’s properly horrible with it’s slimy skin and chattering smile with hideous teeth. A wonderfully designed monster.

Leon and Helena do their best to keep the creature from the survivors, but it’s not long before nearly all of them are turned. I eventually fell it with only two survivors left and Leon and Helena proceed to go downstairs. Beneath they find a laboratory and the game engages a welcome slow gear. Everything now truly feels like Capcom know what they are doing and although the progress is linear the setting is superb. This isn’t a smart, top of the range lab like in the Umbrella days. This is a dingy, seriously unclean lab with blood stained rags, and rubbish everywhere. As Leon and Helena come up to a series of rooms and beds, Helena frantically starts searching for someone called Deborah, and Leon gets increasingly frustrated with Helena, as do we with the constant promises from Helena that she will soon reveal all.

Leon and Helena stumble in a room with a few strange ‘things’ in huge water tanks, and within the room find a tv and an old VHS tape with the writing ‘Happy Birthday Ada Wong’ on it. Leon puts the video on, and it shows a woman emerging from a cocoon, and the woman is none other than Ada. Leon is understandably shocked at the footage, and we still don’t really know what the hell is going on, is Ada an experiment?! Judging by the tape, the footage was from sometime ago.

Leon and Helena press on and eventually find Deborah, they quickly try to get her out, but it’s too late and her skin burns and she becomes enshrouded in a cocoon. (I love how the C-virus works, the cocoon idea both looks and is suitably horrible and icky). As something begins to emerge from Deborah’s cocoon, a cross bow bolt comes flying past Leon and hits the creature squarely in the forehead. The creature is Deborah, but she looks quite different.

Ada emerges from the shadows wielding her crossbow, and she notices Leon is looking at her like he’s ‘seen a ghost’. Their meeting is cut short when Deborah comes to life and grows three huge tentacles. This is pretty good boss fight, which is helped by the great controls which make dodging a joy. It’s also not terribly difficult, and it’s not long before Deborah falls through the floor, and Leon, Helena and Ada have to work together to reach the bottom of the huge chamber they are in. The three of them eventually get into a mine cart and I’m reminded of Biohazard 4 all over again. Deborah attacks a couple more times, but the tracks run out and they are all thrown from the cart. Helena grabs Deborah and she starts to fall into the abyss below, and tells her that she’ll avenger her. Deborah then slips free of Helena’s grasp, and plunges deep into the darkness.

Helena reveals that Simmons has imprisoned both her and Deborah, and that she had no other choice to help Simmons breach the presidential security. Ada tells both Leon and Helena that they are now dealing with the people who really run the US, and as she receives a call uses her grapple gun to take her away.

PLAY TIME: 1:13:38

ADA - CHAPTER 2 - JUNE 29TH 2013

Being as Ada has just has a brief appearance in Leon’s scenario, it’s only logical that we will see the same event from Ada’s perspective, and maybe now some light will be shed on what’s going on.

Ada arrives at the cathedral at the same time as Leon, and it strikes me how similar in concept and execution Ada’s scenario in Biohazard 6 is to Biohazard 4’s Separate Ways campaign. Before we converge with Leon’s chapter, we have a rather lengthy section beneath the cathedral cemetery. Inside, the game attempts to a few more puzzles, and despite the fact that yet again they are painfully simplistic we have to give props to Capcom yet again for trying. The pace for the chapter on the whole is slow, and the game is all the better for it. From what we’ve played so far, Biohazard 6 is a damn fine game. I suffer one death, a tricky blade trap which you have to quickly crawl away from, I was just too slow killing the zombies blocking my path and got minced.

It’s not long before Ada has assembled various keys and gains further access, where we eventually come up to Leon and Helena before a cocoon. As the cocoon splits and a humanoid form starts to emerge, Ada loads up her crossbow and shoots the creature we of course know to be a mutated Deborah. The fight follows the exact routine as it had with Leon, and afterward, as Ada tells Leon about who really runs the country, and her futuristic phone goes off, after zipping away on her grapple gun, we this time follow Ada.

She receives a call from Simmon’s who tells her to carry on toward the laboratory, to which Ada questions Simmons about there being more games. When she arrives, she finds the video tape with the Happy Birthday message to herself. She plays the tape, and is suitable shocked by what she sees. She confirms to us all (not that we were in any doubt) that whatever it is, isn’t her. She also finally deduces something else, and calls Simmon’s back on her phone, she calls the avatar of Simmon’s Ada, and that Simmon’s would never, ever call and show his hand this early. Ada finally speaks in her own voice, and reveals that the world will blame Ada for all that will happen. The call ends, and Ada strengthens her resolve, saying this false Ada better be ready to take on the real Ada. She then places a bomb in the laboratory, and as she walks off contacts the real Derek Simmon’s, telling her that his doppelganger has revealed she wants to destroy the world.

PLAY TIME: 46:34

October 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 6

LEON & HELENA - CHAPTER 3 - 29TH JUNE 2013

Continuing on from Deborah’s death, Leon and Helena go deep underground Tall Oaks, and end up exploring a ridiculously huge cave that also acts as a huge tomb for thousands of the dead.

Oh dear, and here we have the first real mess the game makes. Chapter 3 for Leon is absolutely woeful in design. The concept in itself is ridiculous, deep underneath Tall Oaks is this stupidly massive hollow which is also medieval in style. The zombies are wearing chainmail and other various armours, and to round the scenario off is a huge mutated shark… thing.

Worse, is that Chapter 3 just serves no purpose within the game at all, the only story beats are at the beginning and the end, with the overlong middle just doing nothing apart from being very irritated as the game goes into a daft Indiana Jones gear. Awful. I’d of sooner lost Chapter 3, and had Leon Chapter 4 spread over two chapters, as so much happens in Chapter 4 it’s ridiculous. But hey.

Before they go deep underground, the conversation between Leon, Helena and Simmon’s continues. Simmon’s notes that Leon and Helena were the last two people with president, and asks them to turn themselves in to prove their innocence.

After they escape the catacombs, and kill the shark beast, they emerge a little distance outside of Tall Oaks and land in a large lake. From there they watch planes bomb Tall Oaks, ‘sterilising’ it as Helena calls it. As they reach the shore, Leon speaks to Hunnigan, who mentions that Simmon’s had just received a call (the call from Ada) and is heading to China. Leon asks Helena to fake their deaths, and they will leave for China in pursuit.

PLAY TIME: 40’46

CHRIS & PIERS - CHAPTER 1 - 29TH JUNE 2013

So we finally catch up with Chris, and things don’t look good. He’s still in Eastern Europe and he’s very drunk. After insulting the owner of the bar he’s currently drowning his sorrows in, and nearly hitting someone very hard with a bottle, he’s stopped by Piers. Apparently Chris has no memory of anything, and Piers says he’s been looking for him for the last 6 months. Piers manages to jog Chris’ memory by showing him photos of the men that died in Edonia and everyone in the bar stands up, members of the BSAA, and they are there to have Chris lead them again.

It’s a strong opening for a character who usually have everything under control. After his high points of Biohazard 5, it’s impressive to see Capcom strip a character down like they have and for perhaps the first time in the series, here we have a bit of a fallen hero. Bravo Capcom.

Chris and Piers arrive in China, and straight away get to work. China is an absolute war zone, but I can’t help but be impressed by how good the visuals are. The game on the whole isn’t as good looking as Biohazard 5, but it certainly has moments. Chris and Piers touch down in the streets, and the opening section is full of radio chatter and getting civilians out of the area. A nice touch involves Chris shoving a cameraman out of the way as a reporter tries to interrogate him about the recent bio attack in Tall Oaks.

They quickly run into an enemy and Chris lands a headshot, but see it’s head start to regenerate, confirming that they are once again up against J’avo. HQ tells Chris and Piers that they need to get to nearby building and rescue some UN inspectors who have been taken hostage.

As series of explosive firefights occur before they can reach the building, but on the whole I must say I found the chapter quite enjoyable after the diabolical Leon catacomb antics. I only suffered one death because the game flat out refused to give me any healing during the level at all, and after trying to survive with one health block I finally died. I really hate the ‘dying’ status in this game, it’s absolutely awful - even when you get revived you are still practically on one hit kills for a duration.

Anyway, Chris and Piers reach the building, and have a few close range battles with the J’avo. There are hostages on various floors, and a couple of hostages are being imprisoned by some strange spider-like J’avo that run them around the floors. It’s hilariously ill conceived this section, as you just end up playing chase around the floors in the most undramatic fashion.

The level rounds out with the game pulling a slow motion Call of Duty stand off, and I shed a tear thinking how this is where we are after the glory of the Ecliptic Express all those years ago.

Chris and Piers escape the building after rescuing the final hostages, and the BSAA destroy the building in an airstrike. Chris doesn’t quite remember everything yet… or does he?

PLAY TIME: 47’27

-----

So the game finally reaches China and so far I’ve enjoyed it very very much. Indeed the only chapter i’ve not liked is Leon 3, because it’s honestly a worthless entry in the game. The story has been building nicely, and I actually think it works better when you mix in Ada’s Chapters during the others, although the reveal of the Ada clone is blown much earlier, we all knew it anyway and seeing it unfold, and seeing how Ada will be going head to head with the false Ada is an interesting game of cat and mouse.

The mixed Chapters also help the games pacing (or at least have thus far, we’ll see how it copes in China) and all in all I’m finding Biohazard 6 a damn enjoyable experience. In fact the only thing I’ve not enjoyed was the awful Sherry and Jake snowmobile section, and the problems I have with the health system.

October 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 6

JAKE & SHERRY - CHAPTER 3 - 29TH JUNE - 2013

6 months on from Edonia. Jake and Sherry have been confined in a Chinese research facility. Call it coincidence, but they both make their escape at the same time there has been the terror attack in China. They escape their prisons, suit up and have to explore their elaborate surroundings to find 10 ID emblems to escape. Jake also reveals to Sherry that he knows he is Albert Wesker’s son. As they find a way out, Sherry downloads all of Jake’s data to a memory card, which is all the information they need to create a cure for the C-Virus. In the finale they are pursued by a tank, and escape on a motorbike heading into the city.

This is a simple yet quite effective chapter. Promoting exploration somewhat before spoiling itself with a hugely stupid action packed finale with the tank. The exploration sections are good, with the right balance of combat and searching the actually-quite-nice environment. Bedrooms, a library, a spar and a bar are randomly placed around the the level, but it’s actually a nice slice of luxury amid all the grimy side streets and such. A fine chapter in the end. Jake and Sherry are back in the fray, and are heading into China.

PLAY TIME: 43’07

(I realise that all I’ve been doing is writing up a huge synopsis of each chapter, resulting in huge blocks of text - I’m going to abridge it from now on - i’ll be here forever!)

CHRIS & PIERS - CHAPTER 3 - 30TH JUNE 2013

Chris sits looking down at the cocooned J’avo, and asks Piers what happened about Ada.

They set out after Ada, and the BSAA are intercepted by a large camouflaged snake, which they kill at the expense of the team except one, Marco.

Marco however, is subsequently shot by Fake Ada, and mutates. Chris and Piers then kill mutated Marco.

In between the snake battles, they cover Sherry and Jake from the helicopter attack (crossover).

They eventually get to a warehouse, where they see Fake Ada. They give chase and ultimately corner her. Leon and Helena turn up, Chris and Leon briefly fight, and end up with their guns drawn at each other. Leon tells Chris he will protect Ada as she’s a witness into everything that has gone on. Fake Ada uses a moment of pause to escape. Chris and Leon agree that Leon will go after Simmons, and Chris will go after Ada.

Chris and Piers take off after Fake Ada who is driving a sports car. A high speed chase pursuit follows, ending up with the three of them arriving at a large aircraft carrier in the water near the bridge.

----

Oh what a melting pot of ideas this chapter is. It starts SO well, with a nice crossover with Jake and Sherry, and then an honestly great boss battle with the huge snake. But the crossover with Leon is ill conceived, with a ridiculous scene where the characters have to dodge little robot mines bouncing off the walls. Awful. The resulting scene actually makes up for this though.

The final section where Chris and Piers drive a turbocharged jeep however, is a strong contender for the worst section in the game by a mile. The graphics are horrendous, the gameplay is dire and the whole thing is just absolutely appalling. Shame on Capcom. The sad thing is, I’m enjoying the games story so much, and I enjoy quite a lot of the combat, but then every now and then a really shit moment comes up and the game suffers badly. I thought for the first time playing this chapter, how much more I would have enjoyed it if it was a CG movie.

The scene between Chris and Leon is one fans have wanted for a long long time, and initially I felt underwhelmed, but for some reason this time, seeing all the history in the recent playthrough I felt it really worked, and loved it this time. A highlight of the game to be honest.

PLAY TIME: 1’04’48

JAKE & SHERRY - CHAPTER 4 - 30TH JUNE - 2013

Sherry and Jake speed into their city on the motorbike, and Sherry receives a call from her employer, the rendezvous isn’t far. As they reach the city outskirts, they are attacked by multiple J’avo and a combat chopper. It’s not a great vehicle section this to be honest. I was playing as Sherry on this chapter, but playing as Jake is an exercise in frustration as you have to steer the bike through narrow streets and dodging crashed cars, it’s really not great. Sequences like this also really hit home that the series isn’t what it used to be anymore, it’s now a mess of an ideas and only few now are actually worthy additions to the series.

Eventually they crash the bike and end up in a small enclosed location where they are surrounded by J’avo as well as the returning chopper, but mercifully Chris and Piers are watching down from above and with the full support of the BSAA, manage to cover Sherry and Jake, and work together to destroy the attack chopper. Before they depart, Jake and Chris take one long look at each other, and Jake asks Sherry if Chris knows he is Wesker’s son. Sherry says she doesn’t think so.

They move on through a couple of backstreets and it’s all painfully scripted now. The little bit of exploration we had in Chapter 3 now totally put to one side to make way for one action piece after another. It’s a shame the texturing isn’t amazing in this game, because there is a quite a lot of detail in the China sections of the game. The PC version does help to rectify this somewhat but it’s not great in all honest. I feel too many sacrifices were made to help the engine cope with all the chaos, but at least the lighting is exemplary.

Sherry and Jake run through some more backstreets, and are eventually interrupted by a creature falling from above after crashing into a large neon sign. The creature is Ubistvo, and continues Capcom’s sad obsession with putting a chainsaw type enemy into every modern Biohazard game. The Revelations monster, and Ubistvo here are all the more ridiculous because their chainsaws are organic. Yes, it’s as ridiculous as it sounds. Mercifully, if nothing else Ubistvo is at least fun to fight, and after a small battle I get the QTE finisher than Jake and Sherry can do together. Ubistvo is defeated for now.

As Sherry and Jake push forward they notice a plane come crashing down nearby. Sherry recognises its American, and they run to the crash site (it’s conveniently on their way to the rendezvous). There they run into Leon and Helena, who have seemingly just arrived in China. Leon and Jake have a sharp exchange, which Sherry defuses quickly by telling Jake that Leon saved her in Raccoon City all those years ago. Sherry reveals that she is going to meet Simmon’s her boss, but before they can discuss any further Ustanak arrive and the 4 must duel it in the street.

The game paired me up with another player at this point, and I remembered how good a feature the matching up is for certain sequences. However it made the battle painfully easy and Ustanak was defeated very quickly, ultimately being crushed by a huge pylon that separates the two teams. Through the wreckage, Sherry tells Leon where they will be meeting Simmons, and eventually head off themselves.

They emerge out into the river that runs through the city and are promptly chase down it by a returning Ubistvo. They also have to fend off J’avo as well as navigating a boat through all the wreckage in the river. They however, receive some support from an unseen sniper, and as I looked up with my sniper rifle, I was able to spot Ada high up! What is she doing?

As we nearly reach the rendezvous, Ubistvo separates Sherry and Jake, and as Sherry remains on the boat, slowly moving toward a crashed helicopter propellor, a mysterious stranger (Ada) swings down and rescues her, dropping Sherry into the arms of Jake. Ubistvo is diced by the propellor, and finally dies.

Sherry and Jake then quickly run to Simmon’s to find Leon and Helena stood before him. A shootout occurs when Sherry questions Simmon’s whether he’s responsible for the biohazards, and Leon tells Jake to get Sherry out. Sherry gives Leon the data card with Jake’s information on, and as they run off to fight Simmon’s, Jake and Sherry are captured by a group of J’avo and taken away….

-----

A fine chapter, very action packed but incredibly linear. It’s the most amount of times the game crosses over into other scenarios, and when the game does link up with others it’s a really fun experience.

Storywise the game is going from strength to strength. Simmon’s is finally established to be the new series villain. The little moments between Leon and Sherry are absolutely brilliant, and on the whole the game is actually a lot of fun.

PLAY TIME: 1’00’55

LEON & HELENA - CHAPTER 4 - 30TH JUNE 2013

Leon and Helena are on an airplane and unfortunately for them a Lepotitsa has emerged from the pilot. They manage to jettison the creature and steady the plane enough to survive the crash. As the plane comes down we see Ada Wong stood atop a train.

They soon run into Sherry and Jake, and battle the Ustanak. When they separate, Sherry tells Leon where they will be meeting Simmons.

Leon and Helena have to travel through a nearby market where they encounter a new BOW, a regenerator type monster called the Rasklapanje. They eventually get through the market, but not before putting one through a mincer.

Leon sees Fake Ada and starts to chase her, and ends up in a race against Christ to get her. As with Chris’ chapter, Fake Ada escapes and they both set out in their own directions.

They eventually reach Simmons, with Sherry and Jake behind them. As Sherry and Jake are captured, Leon and Helena go after Simmons. But a J’avo manages to infect Simmons with the C-virus, and he mutates into a dog style creature, and they have an admittedly very good fight on a train. He seems to die underneath the train, Leon and Helena jump into the nearby river.

As they emerge, a missile lands in Taichi and infects thousands of residents, turning them into zombies.

----

This is an absolutely chaotic chapter. Beginning with Leon and Helena not even in China, and ending with Simmons mutating and seemingly being defeated. Simmons becoming a monster truly saddens me even now. With Wesker gone he should have and was set up perfectly to be the new series villain going on. He would have been an interesting character for our heroes to battle. How would you be able to fight someone so high up in the US Government? Sadly all that potential is thrown away the moment the syringe enters his neck. The Rasklapanje sequence in the market is one of the games greatest sequences, so overall this chapter gets a tick. Even the battle against Simmons on the train was bloody good fun in truth.

PLAYTIME: 56’47

ADA - CHAPTER 3 - 30TH JUNE - 2013

Ada finally arrives to China pursuing Fake Ada, she battles a few J’avo in an indoor market before witnessing the birth of Ubistvo, the chainsaw wielding J’avo.

It pursues her relentlessly, but she is able to set it up to be smacked hard by a train, causing it to hit a neon sign and fall into the streets below… Right into the path of Jake and Sherry.

Ada then watches as Jake and Sherry travel down the river on their boat. She supports them via a sniper rifle, and also rescues Sherry from certain death by winching down and grabbing her before she is diced by the blades of a helicopter propellor.

Ada then sees Chris and Piers in pursuit of Fake Ada and then also joins the pursuit on a jet ski (the same jetski Fake Ada had earlier).

----

A short chapter this, and I wonder if the whole was more broken down and driven as this chapter, the game would have been punchier and more playable, with no action fatigue kicking in. Not a great deal happens in it that we didn’t know before, but the cross over with Jake and Sherry is honestly brilliant.

PLAYTIME: 30’49

CHRIS - CHAPTER 4 - 30TH JUNE 2013

Chris and Piers arrive on the aircraft carrier and pursue Fake Ada. But along the way, and through the relentless firefights, they catch a glimpse of a differently dressed Ada… Looks like the real one is here too!

They eventually run into Fake Ada, and she reveals that she wants the entire world to experience what happened to Raccoon City. But a helicopter carrying a member of the family armed with a sniper rifle shoots Fake Ada, causing her to fall onto the deck below with a large smack, and a lot of blood.

Chris and Piers fight off a few Rasklapanje, and gain access to the harrier hanger, and take the jet to aircraft carrier nearby with a missile ready to launch into the city. They think they manage to stop it but Fake Ada has a few failsafes and it launches anyway.

Leon asks Chris and Piers to go and rescue Jake and Sherry for a facility 80 miles away…

-----

By this point, Capcom don’t even look like they are trying too hard now. The Chapter is just non stop shooting from the moment it begins, and even a brief moment with the Rasklapanje creature at the end doesn’t work because by then you are just wanting the chapter to end. The harrier section however, is the only vehicle section the game gets right, and is a nice throwback to Chris being a pilot and such. Fake Ada’s death was an abrupt surprise, but surely there must be more to her? What were her real motives? Where did she come from?

PLAYTIME: 47’34

October 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 6

ADA - CHAPTER 4 - 30TH JUNE 2013

Ada arrives at the aircraft carrier, and travelling through the decks sees Chris and Piers chasing her.

She finds a room, with a series of documents and a voice recorder. On the voice recorder is a recording of Simmons. It appears he has been trying to create a ‘perfect’ Ada, and after a series of failed experiments, decides to use a woman called Carla Radames. She also finds an ornament of the quad tower, located in the city.

Ada goes out to the body of Carla, who has just been shot by a Family sniper. But to Ada’s surprise, Carla has injected herself with a powerful dose of the C-virus. She becomes a truly huge monster/sludge thing that begins to consume the carrier. As faces of Carla start to appear all over the ship, Ada is eventually confront by a huge face the size of a wall blocking the exit. But luckily for Ada, Carla has surrounded a chamber full of liquid nitrogen. Ada shoots the nitrogen and Carla freezes and explodes. Dead.

Ada takes a chopper, and makes her way to the quad tower, the Neo-Umbrella headquarters.

-----

Finally our Ada doppelganger has a name! A Carla Radames, Simmons motives for wanted a perfect Ada clone aren’t apparent yet, but with one chapter left for Ada, I’m sure we will learn.

That said, the chapter is a bit of a mess, and Capcom clearly had no idea with how to deal with Carla, and the liquid nitrogen take out is a complete cop out. I actually realised this time as well, that short of the brief Chris vs Leon moment, Leon never actually interacts with Carla but then I suppose by not doing that it avoids some very clichéd scenes.

The game is starting to wrap up now, but we’ve still a distance to go.

PLAYTIME: 30’19

JAKE & SHERRY - CHAPTER 5 - 1ST JULY 2013

Jake and Sherry are trapped in a huge underwater facility. They are however immediately set free on the chapter starting, and have to navigate several floors on a ridiculous rotating elevator to escape.

They eventually meet up with Chris and Piers, and it’s revealed that it was those that set them free. The meeting takes place before the gigantic cocoon of a creature called ‘Haos’.

Haos begins to emerge from the cocoon, and Chris tells Jake and Sherry to go. Sherry is reluctant but Jakes insists they move.

They travel across a series of suspended platforms above a huge lava pit, where Ustanak emerges for one last battle. They eventually take the fight to a high speed cargo train, where Jake and Sherry find a magnum, and take one shot to finish him once and for all.

-----

The game is quickly starting to fall apart in the finale, the opening to the level is awful as you navigate a series of floors that all look the same. Thankfully the battle against Ustanak is brilliant, and allows Jake and Sherry’s campaign to end a relative high note, despite a slightly clunky QTE section on the cargo train.

With Jake now safe, the process to create the cure for the C-virus begins.

PLAYTIME: 46’50

CHRIS & PIERS - CHAPTER 5 - 1ST JULY 2013

Chris and Piers arrive at the underwater facility, and Chris muses whether it’s time to hang up his gun and let Piers take over his role at the BSAA. Is Chris preparing to bow out of the series?

They free Sherry and Jake straight away and then battle through the facility until the meet them. The crossover is exactly the same, and when Haos arrives, Jake and Sherry leave and Chris and Piers have to escape a relentless attack from Haos, a ridiculous water based large tentacled, skull faced monstrosity. Eventually Chris and Piers battle it and seemingly defeat it.

Cue another horrible chase sequence, until they battle it again in another chamber, where Piers gets mortally wounded and loses an arm. He crawls over to a C-virus injector and jabs it into his arm. He grows a large mutated arm that can shoot lightning (yes).

Chris and Piers eventually defeat the Haos, and reach the escape pods, but Piers throws Chris into one on his own and launches it, with Piers staying within the facility. Haos chases after Chris, but Piers launches one last bolt of lightning at Haos, destroying it as the facility blows up.

Chris emerges in the middle of the ocean, and looks out as a helicopter arrives to retreive him.

----

So despite the promise of Chris leaving the series willingly and allowing some fresh blood to take over, we don’t get anything of the sort as yet again a series newcomer is killed off in the same game they are introduced in. I’m not quite in the mind that Chris should have died, but I’d have been more than happy with him leaving the series and leading a normal life in the place of a newer character. Sigh.

The chapter is also, a bit of a mess. The environment is just so boring and uninspiring, and the Haos sequences are just absolutely awful, I died three times on the awful scripted sequence where you have to run from it, through no real fault of my own. Awful.

That said the boss fight was surprisingly quite fun and I did it first time very very quickly with no hassle.

Piers’ death is a nice moment, but would it have been so much to let him take the reigns? I don’t like him in the beginning of Biohazard 6, but as he starts to help square Chris up, his character improves a lot.

PLAYTIME: 45’21

LEON & HELENA - CHAPTER 5 - 30TH JUNE

(Even though this takes place before the events of Chris and Jakes final chapters, I felt it was better to round the game off at the quad tower, with the death of Simmons and thus allowing Ada to actually round the game out, and then finish with the three epilogues.)

Leon and Helena look as the streets start to fill with zombies as a result of the missile spreading the blue fog everywhere. Leon gives Chris the information where to find Jake and Chris informs Leon that Ada is dead.

Leon and Helena join up with a BSAA unit and get into a truck which takes them as close as it can to the quad tower.

The emerge into a street where an explosion momentarily dazes them. They find themselves under a protection of sorts from Ada in a chopper with mounted machine guns. They get to safety, and after a ridiculous set piece involving a lot of explosions, end up at the quad tower with Ada not far behind in her chopper.

There they run into Simmons again, and a series of boss fights occur. At one point he becomes a dinosaur, a dog, and then a large fly and Biohazard finally lets go of any credibility it had left. Leon eventually finishes him with a rocket launcher, yet again left by Ada.

Ada leaves them the helicopter, as well as a data stick with all the information they need to prove Simmons involvement, and clearing both their names.

-----

Christ what a chapter. As if Simmons becoming a monster wasn’t enough, we had to fight him a ridiculous amount of times, and put up with even more stupid transformations. The chapter is effectively just a series of boss fights once Simmons turns up again, and although the final battle with the lightning rod is quite a nice strategy, I’m a bit sick of the games relentless action now. That said, the moment where Ada leaves the fight and looks at Leon from a distance, and the Leon/Ada music from Biohazard 2 comes back is absolutely wonderful, and a stand out moment in the game. Biohazard 6’s story is absolutely incredible when it’s just focussing on character interactions like this.

PLAYTIME: 51’35

SO! 1 chapter left, and 4 epilogues!

October 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

FINAL

BIOHAZARD 6

ADA - CHAPTER 5 - 1ST JULY 2013

Ada commands the helicopter and goes downtown to Taichi. She then sees Leon and Helena and covers them from a nearby group of zombies.

Ada then has to battle a few helicopters in the streets, including a battle against a fully armed combat chopper. With them destroyed she makes her way to the quad tower.

There she helps Leon and Helena battle dino Simmons, then proceeds to the roof.

There she leaves the helicopter as well as a rocket launcher for Leon.

She then helps Leon and Helena battle Simmons. With Simmons defeated, she parts company with Leon and heads to Carla's lab.

There, she finds that Carla has created something else, something 'perfect'. A cocoon in the lab starts to open, but Ada wastes no time destroying it, along with the lab and any traces of Ada's identity theft. As Ada leaves the wreckage behind her she receives a call, and begins a new mission.

-----

Epilogues then show Sherry returning home with Jakes information. Leon and Helena are fully cleared of any wrong doing. Helena gives Leon a makeup kit that belonged to Ada for the next time they see each other. Chris sits a bar but now leading a new BSAA team, they receive new orders and go to work.

Finally, somewhere we see a young boy who gives a veiled man an apple as monsters appear outside. The man takes the apple and goes outside to fight them. He lifts the veil and it is Jake. Who takes a bite if the apple and begins to fight the monsters.

----

So there we have it, the final chapter of the game and still we don’t learn a great deal of the motives or such. Thankfully we have the actually brilliant follow up files (obviously the complete, translated on PU are the definitive), these help to flesh the story out considerably, giving us great references to past events, as well as explaining things such as Claire being by Sherry’s side all her life. Really nice touches and the series is all the better for it. Ada’s final chapter is sadly however easily one of the worst in the entire game. The helicopter sections are absolutely atrocious, and the idea of the minimally armed chopper Ada has vs. a large combat chopper is ridiculous and implausible.

Thankfully, the final scene where Ada shoots up the lab, is absolutely (and I cannot stress this enough) STUNNING. It’s easily my favourite part of the game, and one of my favourite moments of the entire series. I like the fact that for a brief single moment, we can see the real woman behind all the theatrics and the mystery. She shows genuine emotion before the walls come flying back up again, and it’s an absolute joy to see. I like it too because Ada is someone who always comes across like she is in complete control, and that she appears when she chooses to, and fights the battles that she wants to. In Biohazard 6, she is forced into action through no control of her own, and she is forced to play catch up for most of the game, and this lack of control appears to worry her hence the release of emotion at the end. Absolutely brilliant.

PLAYTIME: 34’01

Somewhere deep within Biohazard 6 there’s a better game screaming to get out. I’d like to see it taken, and completely recut basically. How it could be improved.

Remove all the vehicle sections and replace with cutscenes.

Slow the pace down for some sections and offer more of a slower ‘hub’ style gameplay with more actual puzzles. Jake Chapter 3, Ada Chapter 2 are chapters that could be easily adapted for example.

Remove pointless chapters such as Leon 3, and significantly shorten or remove entire sequences that just don’t work.

Restore files to the actual game, and offer a traditional style inventory.

Tighten up the visuals and lose all the horrible visual glitches, disappearing enemies.etc.

Total and complete removal of the Simmons dinosaur. As consider losing sections during boss battles such as the Haos chase sequences that are just awful.

-----

So there we go! Two and a half months later and every canon game played through, analysed and completed! To be honest although I got a little tired of Biohazard 6 by the end (the story just sadly goes nowhere) the series flow very well. There also, surprisingly given how many different people have been involved in the series, there are not really any glaring errors with continuity. Things such as Tricell being referred to as S in Biohazard 4 is one such example of an error. It's also a good thing that Capcom removed the last line of Weskers Report which made reference to Sherry.

Of all the games in the series, despite the latter ones featuring more action over much else there was one game that really stood out like a sore thumb, and that was surprisingly Biohazard Revelations. With the series played chronologically it just doesn’t work well with the rest of the series, and it desperately needs a sequel to follow up the events of that game... Which leads us to another issue I feel the series has.

Characters simply just vanish from the series, and though it's fine to assume that some people would simply never return to fray, a little explanation would be nice. What does happen to Rebecca, Barry? And Jill post Biohazard 5? Will we see Jessica or Raymond again? Will they ever follow up the Alex Wesker storyline? It's something Capcom seriously need to consider moving forward.

I think the next game needs to be a total departure from everything that has gone before, and I'd personally like to see the game deal with who Ada is and perhaps just have Leon playable in a proper driven, single player survival horror game.

All said and done though, despite some of the issues, I absolutely love this series and it remains my favourite game series if all time. It staggers me how rich and robust the timeline is and how everything is nicely foreshadowed and often referenced. It hasn't always gone in the right directions, but it's also gone in some bloody right ones as well.

I still hold on to the belief that this series can and will rise from the ashes and become truly great again. We will have to see how Capcom recover from the wrongs of 6, which I sincerely hope they do.

SERIES PLAYTHROUGH - COMPLETED.

October 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Just wanted to post that I am also currently playing through the series in as best of timeline as I could muster. I have taken into account pretty much everything I can get my hands on. My playthrough notes wont be as extensive as the likes of GT, Stars or Batman though. I have made mine more of a review/notes document with a score for each part. I have a very limited time to get this timeine playthrough done so I would have loved to record something more in depth however I just would not have the time for such a project. Anyway I will start posting it here in sections when I am abit further along. As of right now I am up to Code Veronica, I will start posting once I reach Resident Evil 4. Here is my timeline I am working through.

RE TIMELINE

George Trevor’s Notes Biohazard Taiken Ban

Weskers Report 2 Part 1

Weskers Report 2 Part 2

Weskers Report 2 Part 3

Weskers Report 2 Part 4

Weskers Report 2 Part 5

History of Samurai Edge (Article)

Biohazard 0 Guide

Resident Evil Zero up to Wesker leaving and Billy saves Rebecca.

Umbrella Chronicles Beginnings

Resident Evil Zero Continued

Umbrella Chronicles Nightmare

Resident Evil Marvel Comic

Resident Evil The Book

Birth of Biohazard

Resident Evil Genesis

Resident Evil 1 Directors Cut

Director’s Cut Inside of Biohazard

Director’s Cut V Jump Guide

Biohazard Kaitai Shinsho Guide

Resident Evil Remake

Biohazard Kaitai Shinsho Secret Feature & Guide Emergency Report

Umbrella Chronicles Mansion Incident

Umbrella Chronicles Rebirth

Drama Album Tragedy Makoba Village (Not available)

Biohazard 3 Last Escape Survivors File

Wicked North Sea (Novel)

Inserted Evil

PU Kawamura Interviews 1 & 2

Drama Album Fate of Raccoon City Volume 1

Outbreak: Outbreak

Drama Album Fate of Raccoon City Volume 2

Outbreak 2: Underbelly

Outbreak 2: Wild things

Outbreak: The Hive

Confidential Report

Outbreak: Desperate Times

Biohazard 3 Official Guidebook Conquest of Nemesis

Biohazard 3 Official Guidebook Fulfilment of Her Escape

Biohazard 3 Last Escape Official Website

Biohazard 3 Last Escape Official Website Interview

Resident Evil 3 (Up to Carlos)

Umbrella Chronicles Raccoon’s Destruction

Outbreak: Below Freezing Point

Uprising Files

Biohazard 2 Official Guidebook

Resident Evil 2

Darkside Chronicles Memories of a Lost City

Drama Album The Female Spy Ada

Claire’s Epilogue

Leon’s Epilogue

Sherry’s Epilogue

The EX Files

Umbrella Chronicles Fourth Survivor

Hunks Epilogue

4D Executor

Outbreak 2: Flashback

Outbreak: Hellfire

Outbreak 2: End of the Road

Umbrella Chronicles Death’s Door

Ada’s Epilogue

Outbreak: Decisions Decisions

Barry’s Epilogue

Operation Raccoon City

Resident Evil 3 (Finish)

BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE Official Website (Dreamcast Ver.)

Umbrella Chronicles Side A

Jill’s Epilogue

Jill’s Diary

Biohazard Gun Survivor Guide

Survivor

Weskers Report

Chris’s Epilogue

Wildstorm Comics Issues 1-5

Drama Album The Little Runaway Sherry

Gaiden

Biohazard Code Veronica Official Guide

Biohazard Code Veronica Official Website

Resident Evil Code Veronica

Code Veronica Comics

Darkside Chronicles Game of Oblivion

Survivor 2 (Dream after Code)

Fire and Ice Comics

Dead Aim

Talking Evil Blog

Dark side Chronicles Operation Javier

Weskers Extra Report

Prelude to the Fall

Umbrella Chronicles Umbrella’s End

Umbrella Chronicles Dark Legacy

Umbrella Chronicles Side B

ARMS Jan 06 Vol 211 (Article)

Biohazard 4 Kaitai Shinsho Guide

Raccoon City Case Details (Website Timeline)

Resident Evil 4

Biohazard 4 Kaitai Shinsho Guide Epilogue & Report on Ada

Separate Ways/Assignment Ada

Ada’s Report

Jessica’s Report

Revelations

Angela’s diary

Degeneration

Lost in Nightmares

Adams Blog

BSAA Desktop

BIOHAZARD 5 Kaitai Shinsho Guide

Resident Evil 5

BIOHAZARD 5 Kaitai Shinsho Guide Story

Desperate Escape

Viral Campaign Episode 1-5

Revelations 2

Las Plagas: Organisms of War

Damnation

Marhawa Desire

Sentinel Nine Thorough Elucidation (Article)

RE6: Chris 2, Jake 1+2, Ada1

RE6: Leon 1+2, Ada 2, Leon 3, Ada 3, Chris 1, Jake 3, Chris 3, Jake 4, Leon 4, Chris 4, Ada 4, Jake 5, Chris 5, Leon 5, Ada 5.

Heavenly Island

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

April 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

A few pointers for you:

Beginnings starts as soon as Rebecca rides down to the water treatment plant, not when Billy saves her from falling down the pit.

Your Oubreak order is incorrect. Hellfire happens concurrently with Outbreak, Underbelly happens after Wild Things, and Below Freezing Point and Flashback happen before Desperate Times.

Darkside Chronicles happens before Dead Aim.

When you get The Stage that happens in 2010.

Rev2 Barry's campaign needs to be added after Damnation.

Marhawa Desire is in 2012, not 2011.

Your RE6 order is out of sync. Ada 3 should really be after Jake 3 and Chris 3. Ada begins in Lanshiang when Chris and Piers start chasing Carla through the harbour, which is after his team have been killed by the snake.

April 20, 2016 at 10:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Fantastic updates thank you Batman. I have already completed up to Code Veronica now so its abit late for Outbreak and Zero however the rest I can now play in proper order. It's been hard to keep track to be honest. The RE6 Ada 3 was a late addition and I pretty much guessed where Ada's went. I was going to adjust myself when playing it. Outbreak and RE6 has mass confusion about the timeline from all the sources I looked at. Some people think Chris 1 & 2 is the opening chapters which makes no sense what so ever.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

April 20, 2016 at 9:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

TheBatMan at April 20, 2016 at 10:18 AM

A few pointers for you:

Beginnings starts as soon as Rebecca rides down to the water treatment plant, not when Billy saves her from falling down the pit.

Your Oubreak order is incorrect. Hellfire happens concurrently with Outbreak, Underbelly happens after Wild Things, and Below Freezing Point and Flashback happen before Desperate Times.

Darkside Chronicles happens before Dead Aim.

When you get The Stage that happens in 2010.

Rev2 Barry's campaign needs to be added after Damnation.

Marhawa Desire is in 2012, not 2011.

Your RE6 order is out of sync. Ada 3 should really be after Jake 3 and Chris 3. Ada begins in Lanshiang when Chris and Piers start chasing Carla through the harbour, which is after his team have been killed by the snake.

Thanks for all these timeline dates - could I ask what guides give up the date for GunSurvivor4? That has always bothered me that we dont have an exact placement for it in the RE timeline.

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

April 21, 2016 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

GS4 takes place on the 22nd/23rd September 2002 based on information from Bruce's monologue, the official Japanese scenario, and the Captain's diary.

April 22, 2016 at 5:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Forgive my what might appear to be a silly question, but it's been a while since I played Umbrella Chronicles and due to my lack of interest for the game, I did the bare minimum research. I was however always interested in one thing because I remember being very confused about it. What was the point to the "Beginnings" stage? All Wesker did was meet Sergei. I was always confused why Wesker would go to the Executive training center only to meet up with Sergei in a weird place. If Wesker was heading back to the R.P.D. to prep Alpha team, there was a much more easier way to get there from where he was than going to the Excecutive training center. Did Wesker even know Sergei would be there? How did Sergei even know Wesker would be there?

--

April 23, 2016 at 7:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

The only point to the Beginnings stage is a desperate attempt to shoehorn a Wesker level into Zero's scenario. It makes no sense and I wish it didn't exist. Wesker has no reason to return to the training facility and Sergei has no reason to be there either, not to mention how he even knew Wesker would be there. It's a horrible mess I wish didn't exist but we're stuck with it.

April 24, 2016 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

I figured as much, but was desperately hoping there was some sort of hidden explanation for it. What a shame. Thanks.

--

April 24, 2016 at 8:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

So here is the first part of my timeline playthrough. I will be posting it in part as I dont want to put it all in at once as it might be abit overwhelming to read and I still havent finished my playthrough yet so I will be posting maybe once a week. It starts off abit slow and not in depth for which I apologise but I wasnt sure how I was going to portray this. I just sort of made it up as I went along. Anyway hope anyone who reads it enjoys.

Biohazard Taiken Ban George Trevor Files

Since these files don’t appear anywhere else and I feel they don’t contradict any of the canon with serious implications I thought these would be a great way to begin my playthrough.

Overall – 8/10

Wesker’s Report 2

A great way to introduce yourself to the series and a great setup for RE1, 2, 3 and Code. It gives fantastic information on the development of the viruses as well as establishing important characters like Wesker, Birkin, Spencer, Lisa and Alexia.

Overall – 10/10

History of Samurai Edge

A fun little read and a great way to get an understanding of the handgun I will be using quite frequently in my playthrough. I would have preferred this to have been written as an in game history of the gun by Joseph Kendo himself however this is not the case. It can easily be considered canon but the fact that it mentions Wesker being an Umbrella secret agent completely threw me off and makes this whole file abit confusing. A report on the weapon and details of the personal customisations written by Joseph would have been a much better read.

Overall 5/10

Biohazard 0 Guide

This guide gives a great description for the BOW’s in the game. A key introduction to these BOW’s and helps setup the game in a way that you have an understanding of these BOW’s you are about to face and how they were created, attack and their weak spots. It also features a brief description of James Marcus and eludes to the fact that the Queen Leech swallowed the young Marcus who was as surprised as anyone that this transformation occurred. It also includes information on Umbrella, the virus, and the history of Umbrella’s beginnings, something that was skimmed over in the actual game itself. Great read and a nice setup for the game to come. I am sure there is more to this guide and character bio’s are missing.

Overall 8/10

Resident Evil Zero up to Wesker leaving and Billy saving Rebecca

I thought I would save the game at this point and move on to Beginnings as it makes sense in the timeline that Wesker’s Umbrella Chronicles chapter Beginnings would take place here. So far I have enjoyed Zero again but the story really isn’t offering much to me in terms of this is the beginning of my playthrough, this is where it all started? Not feeling that. Sure it feels like an old school Resident Evil game but does it have a strong background and a platform that launches the series into a flying head start? Not really. We get more information on the history of Umbrella and the virus in Resident Evil 5 than in this game which is supposed to do just that.

Overall 7/10

Umbrella Chronicles Beginnings

(First off all my Chronicles notes will be on the Wii version as my PS3 data was corrupted)

Ok so after playing through this scenario I couldn’t help but notice that it is a tad bit pointless. The only reason for this scenario is just Wesker leaving the Research Facility. Seems like he goes through an awful lot just to leave the building. Anyway the scenario starts immediately after Wesker boards the lift which is the same cut scene from Zero where I left off on that game with a few minor differences in dialogue. So I assumed that this scenario takes place before Billy and Rebecca manage to defeat the Queen and escape the detonation of the facility, however at the end of the Wesker Vs Ivan Tyrant there is an explosion which breaks up the fight. We have to assume that this is the explosion from the Research Facility self-destruct. Only one new file for this scenario and the only thing of noteworthy is confirmation that Wesker and Birkin where in charge of the reclamation project.

Overall 4/10

Resident Evil Zero Continued

Having fun playing not really a difficult game. Pretty straight forward and easier than Remake. Same soundtrack is becoming annoying. No story since the Wesker cut scene. I enjoyed playing this game and loved the style and atmosphere however I felt the story was extremely overlooked and a massive lack of files.

Overall 7/10

Resident Evil Zero Umbrella Chronicles

I remember this scenario being one of the better renditions of the numbered titles for the Chronicles games. Chapter one went well and it played out how I would imagine a game like Chronicles should play out, they made use of some of the better moments of the game. The only part that bothered me was the Scorpion fight, it was a very easy boss fight and I took zero damage however it was just annoying quick time shoot quick time shoot over and over for around 3 minutes. I used two grenades and the Samurai Edge didn’t want to waste my better weapons. I did not enjoy the second part of the scenario as much in terms of what they decided to show and include however I thought the Bat boss battle suited this style of game better and although I took more damage than the Scorpion I have a lot more fun with it. The finale scenario was the same as the second; they did not make the most of what I felt where some of the better moments of Zero. Also minimal use of BOW’s not even a single Hunter. I did think that the Queen Leech/James Marcus version looked and sounded better but that is about the only positive for me here. However Rebecca’s voice was that of a 10 year old. The files for the game are decent but no new information other than Spencer’s file which was nice but that is all other than a recap on the BOW bio’s and a brief story of the game called Digest.

Overall 4/10

Umbrella Chronicles Nightmare

Great little story here. I really enjoyed the partnership of Richard and Rebecca their personality’s complimented each other in a way that is very rare for this series. It’s a shame Richard had to die just because I would have loved to have seen more from these two together. Nightmare starts out with a great little intro as to what Rebecca did when she arrived at the mansion and also where she arrived at the mansion. After the events of Zero and the night before having a sleep even in a place like the mansion doesn’t seem out of the realms of possibility especially since Rebecca luckily managed to avoid any BOW’s when arriving there, call it dumb luck. Why they had to end up in the library is the biggest flaw of this scenario because it makes no sense for Remake. Why couldn’t Yawn have carried off Richard and then he could end up anywhere and fitted into the canon easily. One final note is when Yawn does attack Richard I forgot just how brutal it was! Bloody squirting everywhere even all over Rebecca. One of the greatest BOW attacks in the series. There is a great letter to Sergei in the files asking that he goes to Raccoon City to collect the data, it is unsigned although I assume it is from Spencer.

Overall 8/10

Resident Evil Marvel Comic

A great little read and introduction to the original Resident Evil Playstation 1 game. There are a few minor contradictions that do not coincide with Remake however I have seen supplements that contradict things a whole lot worse and are still considered canon. I love this comic and it is one of my favourites in all of the comics/manga we have had. It got me prepared for Remake and RE1 in a way that Zero never did. My only complaint about this comic is the quantity in that it is very thin and a quick read.

Overall – 8/10

Biohazard The Beginning/The Book

A fantastic way to set yourself up for Resident Evil 1 especially the original albeit the consistent non canon errors it’s still a fun read. Just a few examples: Chris has knowledge about Umbrella prior to the events of RE1, Chris saying that the park in Arklay woods was his and Billy’s childhood play area (Chris was born and raised in New York), Umbrella had only been in Raccoon City for 10 years when the mansion has been there for over 30 years at this point and finally Brian Irons was a former member/leader of STARS. Starting with Trevor’s notes and everything that was left out of the original it gives you a much needed background on the mansion. I cannot help but feel like there is a lot more missing and this is only a small sample of things that were deleted from the game. In one picture that shows the model for the mansion which George Trevor created his building upon there is also a red brick building opposite the mansion. Research Centre? Too big for the guard house and this is red brick guard house is wooden. Some great artworks of the mansions rooms are included and although Trevor’s notes aren’t quite as morbid or macabre as in Remake they do give a great deal of information on the mansion, its rooms and the way the mansion life was before the outbreak. It’s a real shame because it also has some delightful bits of information which to this day are considered canon like Chris’s parents dying in a car accident which it gives more information on and the rotation of the STARS team over 24 hour periods. Also worth noting that Jill befriended her neighbours of two young girls named Becky and Priscila much like in SD Perry’s novel. If you don’t know by now I am a sucker for character personality information and tid bits like this help me define what kind of people our characters are. Chris visiting Umbrella HQ in Raccoon City sort of came out of left field, I totally forgot about this and thought it was really strange being there, was there originally plans for such a building? Jill’s personality does seem abit off, more light hearted and I found it ironic that Chris’s parents died in a car wreck yet Chris still drives like a maniac, maybe a death wish? Why is Richard with Alpha?

To be honest I couldn’t help feel abit disappointed in the end. The end of the book doesn’t even match up with the beginning of the game and wasn’t this supposed to be like a prequel of sorts? The mansion is described as something of a wreck, STARS are aware of the BOW’s, Richard is on the wrong team. If they had stuck to the canon and not made any of the changes this book made and then focused on investigating the murders without actually seeing any BOW’s maybe a glimpse but nothing concrete then this could still be considered canon and would be an essential read. However there were too many changes for me and things just didn’t make sense.

Overall 6/10

Birth of Biohazard

This video contains various references to the original Resident Evil. It begins by focusing on the reason why Mikami decided to make Resident Evil the way he did. Claiming that he wanted to create a cinematic like experience but with anxiety and scares included. This is followed by some brief bio’s for the STARS team followed on by bio’s for the BOW’s. These bio’s include some of the key information that still remains today and the information still fits into today’s canon. Some interesting information on the creation of the BOW’s and how Jun Takeuchi created such creatures as the giant spiders, snakes and zombified dogs because these are real animals who people can relate to and have phobia’s of. It was only later that artificial BOW’s like the Hunter and Tyrant came into play as members of the team stated that only normal animals could be quite boring. The technique used for best despatching the BOW’s is quite useful but not a lot we shouldn’t already know. This video finishes with some background information on the live action cut scenes and how they created the characters and BOW’s to resemble real life movements. Although this video does not contradict anything we already know the information gathered here is repeated in other formats. It is a nice read/watch but not essential.

Overall 7/10

Resident Evil Deadly Silence Original Mode

Well simply said this is the most nostalgic game I can ever play. Whenever I replay this game it takes me back to being 11 years old and sucking at video games. I must admit that even now I died once via a zombie vomiting on me and then biting me immediately afterwards and had to restart from just before the Yawn fight, I continually had to heal because I kept barrelling around corners into zombies and hunters and had to stop and think more than I thought I would about where to head next. I thought it would come natural but apparently not. There is a lot about this game that I had forgotten about so playing it again for the first time in around 4 years was a real treat. I love the soundtrack for this game one of my favourites in the series and the voice acting made me laugh my ass off. The environments are a lot more bland than I remember and the story is super shallow I must have been wearing rose tinted glasses because I envisioned more files. Couldn’t help but notice that while you are in the library and look out at the heliport you can see a mansion directly behind the heliport? How is that possible? You are in the mansion.

Overall 8/10

Resident Evil Genesis

Ok so I couldn’t find a working version of this game as it wouldn’t work on my phone or laptop so I had to watch a walkthrough on YouTube and read about the game instead. I might be in the minority here but for what it is this game actually looks pretty cool. The whole shooting mechanic could potentially be quite difficult as the guy in the walkthrough seemed like he knew what he was doing and I might struggle not playing it before. The graphics weren’t that bad for a 2008 game either, hell this game looks better than some PS4 games we are having thanks to the flood of indie rubbish. I would much rather play this game than Bro Force. Couldn’t hear the music as the sound was off and the player kept skipping the dialogue. There were some funny scenes with Barry when Jill was running from Lisa Trevor her leg movements where hilarious. Jill runs to Barry and they point at the door expecting Lisa to burst in but Wesker walks in. Then abit later on the same thing happens again yet this time Lisa jumps into the room and pins down Barry and mauls him. The one problem with the game is the areas looked nothing alike and didn’t resemble in the slightest. Some of the files you could include in the canon but there are a lot of files that only relate to this game.

Overall 5/10

Directors Cut Inside of Biohazard

Well what more can be said about this book than it is like the bible for Directors Cut and the original Resident Evil. It can even relate to Remake and has very little information within that contradicts. With the omission of the Clay Virus this book can relate to Resident Evil as a main canon source even to this day. We are given all sorts of files/articles about S.T.A.R.S, Umbrella, Characters, weapons and BOW’s. We are even given a success rate of S.T.A.R.S. mission’s pre mansion in that they have saved 80% of hostages in a hostage situation; the 20% were already deceased before S.T.A.R.S. made it to the scene. Amazing little details like this are included throughout the book. The reason I chose to read this book post Directors Cut is because it references the game as previous events. Another fantastic detail this time about the Cerebus ‘A test on group practical use was conducted in the facility courtyard, but they escaped from the facility after the accident and became wild in the surrounding forest.’ The BOW bosses such as Black Tiger, Yawn and Plant 42 are all given detailed backgrounds which is unknown from the game until you read this guide. If anyone does not know how a Chimera is created you need to look it up in this book it is pretty brutal. We get some post mansion files regarding Umbrella and their actions after the mansion and also the fire caused by the explosion with details of its distance. This guide even goes on to give us a full list of casualties in the mansion including STARS, civilians and researchers.

Overall 10/10

Directors Cut V-Jump Guidebook

The guide opens with a bang and gives us a brief explanation of what happened as far as Umbrella are concerned post Directors Cut events. I honestly believe this information should have been transported into a file and played as the credits for the game rolled out. In a report by Damien Ashkenazy we are even given information on how Raccoon City retail stores such as gun shops and video rentals have increased since the city has enforced a night time curfew and that the tourist industry in Raccoon City has taken a massive hit. More information about the fire from the explosion is given and we also get a lovely little bit of information on how it was Spencer’s mansion and how he has lost millions of dollars due to the mansion being filled with art and rare items. Great book which I would recommend to anyone post Resident Evil. I think even Remake players can consider this book as the aftermath of the mansion incident.

Overall 10/10

Biohazard Kaitai Shinsho Guide

Not as informative as the previous Directors Cut Guide. It gives a lot of the same information and most of the time leaves out a lot of what the Directors Cut had already given to us. Like for instance the Directors Cut guide mentions that the Wasp was infected by drinking the pollen from Plant 42, however there is no mention of that here. Not a whole lot here so far. I am saving the end of the book which seems to be a more post mansion description so I am hoping it can redeem itself there. So far nothing but repeated information.

Overall 5/10

Resident Evil Remake

There is not much I can say about this game that I haven’t already said. It is without a doubt the finest hour of the series for myself. Every time I play the game I get a huge sense of nostalgia but at the same time it is like everything is new to me. I played the game on hard difficulty which I haven’t done it a long time. I have to be honest though I don’t know if it was through my own planning and care but I really didn’t struggle what so ever. I got bit a handful of times which lead me to caution and I had one orange caution that was the closest I got to death. I also decided not to save anyone to get the trophy and the ending with Jill alone on the helicopter port was abit underwhelming when the Tyrant did not show up. The Wesker cut scene with Jill though was much more interesting and he absolutely battered her compared to when you save Barry and Chris. Do I even need to score this one?

Overall 10/10

--

April 27, 2016 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.