CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Complete Series Playthrough

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD: CODE: VERONICA - DECEMBER 27TH 1998

3 months have passed since the Raccoon City disaster, but chronologically it has been nearly 6 months since we saw series hero Chris Redfield. We’ve had quite a bit of information about his whereabouts, but now it’s time for Claire Redfield’s search for him to bare fruit.

Thanks to the Biohazard 3 epilogue we know that Claire has been captured during her excursion to the Paris branch of Umbrella. We join her mid battle as she is evading helicopters, and shooting explosive barrels taking out dozens of Umbrella soldiers. Straight away CODE: Veronica pulls no punches it seems.

She is subsequently apprehended by Rodrigo, an Umbrella security officer, who then takes her to Rockfort Island. Rockfort… the name from the introduction of Biohazard Zero. It’s not long however before the island is attacked, and an injured Rodrigo frees Claire as there’s apparently no way off the island anyway.

Claire quickly sets about searching the island and straight away meets Steve Burnside, another prisoner. With zombies all around, and blood staining the walls of the prison, Claire and Steve band together meeting each other periodically, as they solve the mysteries of the island. It seems that the island is run by Alfred Ashford and Alexia Ashford, the two remaining family members of the Ashford family. Their grandfather, Edward Ashford with Spencer and Marcus discovered the Progenitor virus and established Umbrella…. Interesting, as Ashford wasn’t mentioned in Zero, it appears Marcus isn’t mentioned here…

(During this Claire finds a computer revealing that Umbrella have been keeping a close eye on Chris, and using an email, contacts Leon and tells him how to locate Rockfort Island).

Being as Rockfort is only a diversion for Claire, it seems we aren’t going to learn a great deal more about what will happen to Umbrella, until that is Claire is confronted by none other than Albert Wesker… He reveals to Claire that he is seeking revenge for Chris ruining his plans, and that he will use Claire as bait until Chris arrives. CODE: Veronica, whilst being a sequel of sorts to Biohazard 2, also now feels like it’s a sequel to the REmake, as Chris and Wesker’s conflict looks to begin anew.

Steve and Claire work together and locate a seaplane, and during their process to get it going, discover Alfred in his private residence. It appears Alfred has been in effect leading two lives, as Claire and Steve discover he has been cross-dressing and playing both roles. Seemingly shocked by this, Alfred releases a Tyrant to hunt down and kill Steve and Claire.

As they take off and leave the island, Alfred grabs a harrier and gives chase, but unbeknown to Claire and Steve, the Tyrant has already boarded the plane, and Claire must do battle with it. The Tyrant battle is hard, and after completely botching up the first attempt I died very quickly. Reloading I loaded up the explosive bolts in my bow gun and fired all 30, then hit the catapult and launched the Tyrant clear into the sky with a satisfying explosion. Returning to Steve we discover the plane has set itself to auto pilot and takes the two survivors to Antarctica, to a long hidden Umbrella base, also owned by the Ashfords.

Narrowly surviving a plane crash, Claire and Steve learn that this facility is infected with the t-Virus as well. They waste no time escaping, but are once again confronted by Alfred who is mortally wounded by Steve and falls down a large hole.

Just as we are about to leave the base, Alexander Ashford, (the father of the two siblings) attacks Claire and Steve, he has succumbed to awful experiments at the hands of his children and has become the Nosferatu. It was here I tried to get the infamous knife kill cutscene, and I died a total of 4 times trying to get this happen, and in the end though I killed it with the knife I still couldn’t get the scene to play. I didn’t bother trying anymore and pushed on.

It’s here one of the very best sequences in the series’ history takes place. As Alfred slowly bleeds to death due to his injuries, Alexia (shown to be very much alive but in stasis) awakens. The music, direction and sheer execution of this sequence is absolutely legendary, with only the poor quality of the video on this HD version letting it down. An utterly enraged Alexia unleashes massive tentacles which chase down Steve and Claire as they escape in a vehicle and absolutely destroy it. With Claire and Steve seemingly burning to death as Alexia cradles her dead brother, we leave this side of the story for now.

(It’s here I must say is one of the reasons why I absolutely detest what Darkside Chronicles did with Alexia and Alfred, insofar as they utterly ruined the characters for me. Alexia, though always treating her brother as nothing more than a soldier to protect her still always cared for him and the sequence in CODE: Veronica shows this beautifully, but having Alexia kill Alfred just pisses all over the theme of the game, I hate it).

Finally then, the moment we’ve been waiting for. Chris Redfield finally returns to the series with heroic music accompanying him. As he bare-handedly climbs a cliff he drops his bag of supplies, but makes it to the top otherwise unscathed. He meets Rodrigo, and after briefly saving him from the large gulp worm, is informed by him that Claire has already left.

Chris battles through the ruins of Rockfort and is attacked by some Hunters unleashed by Wesker. It’s not long before the two finally meet, with Chris being somewhat surprised by Wesker being very much alive. An electric scene occurs as the two chat, with Wesker proclaiming his absolute hatred toward Chris and that he is now joined with a new organisaton, but being distracted by Alexia Wesker spares Chris and leaves for Antarctica.

Not long after Chris follows in a harrier and arrives in Antarctica. We quickly find Claire in a replica of the Spencer Mansion hall, but Steve is nowhere to be found. The scene where Chris and Claire finally reunite is another great moment of the series, but it’s all too brief as they seperated by Alexia. Claire goes after Steve, but finds him in a similar condition as Alexander, and almost immediately mutates into a large green monster. I completely screwed up the run out of the room and died twice. Eventually I made it, and Steve manages to claw himself back from humanity but is killed by an Alexia tentacle smashing him very hard against a wall.

As Claire mourns the loss of Steve, Wesker resurfaces and battles a now mutated Alexia, but as he notices Chris he moves from Alexia and lunges for Chris. Alexia however causes Wesker’s arm to be ignited and Wesker is forced to flee, but not before he taunts Chris by calling him one of his best men. We quickly lay waste to a painfully easy Alexia, and go about unlocking the last few rooms.

As Chris gets the self destruct activated, Claire is freed and reunites with Chris again but Alexia is back for one last fight. With Claire seemingly safe, Chris battles Alexia and using an awesome ‘linear launcher’ finally dispatches her once and for all.

One last battle with Wesker awaits. I absolutely love this sequence, it’s one of my favourite moments in the entire series (can you tell I adore CODE: Veronica yet?). The dialogue between the two is exceptional and the fight is wonderful. This conflict would represent for me, the backbone of the entire series for the next few years… Think how long I had to wait for round 2!

Chris narrowly escapes, and bizarrely ends the battle with the upper hand, an injured Wesker tells Chris that although today is a lucky day, next time they meet he’d better not count on another… Chris and Claire escape in the harrier and yet again we have a character vowing to destroy Umbrella.

-------

So that’s CODE: Veronica done. Chronologically, the Chris and Wesker conflict now very much becomes one of the major plot lines of the series, and Umbrella practically takes a backseat in this game outside of learning a little more about their history. The end of the Ashford family however, turns the tide back to the heroes a bit more, and two more Umbrella facilities have been destroyed.

Wesker hints that Steve may return from the dead as his men take the body of Steve away for the t-Veronica virus, I wonder if we will hear of it again?

Claire and Chris being re-united could effectively mean Claire’s job is over. How will she resurface I wonder, will she go back to tend to Sherry? (Who wasn’t even mentioned at all). Leon was mentioned in passing, but outside of that small mention, no other heroes are featured.

What we aren’t aware of at this point is that the story will now sadly jump 4 years, leaving what is still quite a large void in the series. Do the heroes just lead a few years of normality as they try to uncover more about Umbrella, and while the lawsuits do their damage to the corporation? It’s still an era of the chronology we know precious little about.

I absolutely love CODE: Veronica. It stands proud as easily one of my favourites of the entire series. I played the HD version and outside of some very poor low quality video, the new lighting is absolutely fantastic, giving the game a mood often comparable to the REmake I think. Check out certain areas such as the private residence and see that the game has a mood and atmosphere that the previous versions simply cannot compare to now. I’m not one for tweaking games or remakes, but the simple addition of dynamic lighting transforms this game in ways that are simple in execution but pay off unbelievably in style. I love it. So next then? I’m hearing that Leon has undergone extensive training and is currently making his way to South America….

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 07:05:32

GAME MODE: Normal

NUMBER OF SAVES: 6

NUMBER OF DEATHS: 7

September 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD - THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES

OPERATION JAVIER - SUMMER 2002

We jump forward in the timeline now 4 years. What transpired in those years still remain a mystery somewhat, but maybe we can just assume that while all the lawsuits and investigations were going on against Umbrella, our heroes had precious little to do while that was all going on, and for a duration led reasonably simple lives. We know Chris and Jill spend some time closing down various Umbrella labs, however those acts appear to be rather uneventful.

The last time we saw Leon, he was being offered an opportunity to work for the US Government as a result of surviving Raccoon City and having the kind of experience they were looking for. Unexpectedly, this new position of Leon's has landed us in the heart of South America. Apparently a virus has been sold to a Javier Hidalgo by an ex-Umbrella employee, Leon has been sent in to investigate the truth behind the rumour.

We then meet another series newcomer, Jack Krauser, an Army soldier sent to assist Leon in his task.

The pair of them travel through the jungle and arrive at a village and despite it appearing initially deserted, it's not long before the zombies start attacking. Blasting through the hordes, Leon and Krauser eventually come across a contact they were due to meet. He has however been mortally wounded and soon dies after telling Leon to find 'the girl'.

Moving further into the village they eventually find a young girl called Manuela, who is singing to herself, but as they approach they are attacked by a huge monster. Leon and Krauser manage to fend it off for now and speak to Manuela.

It appears that Manuela is none other than the daughter of Javier and that she has been deliberately infected with the t-Veronica virus as she is dying from a terminal disease. The virus succeeds in keeping Manuela alive, but as a result needs her vital organs transplanted regularly to stop the virus from consuming her.

As Leon and Krauser head to Javier's mansion, Krauser learns that Leon is now acting under direct orders from the President and is there to eradicate the virus completely. Krauser agrees to help and they both storm the mansion. Whilst inside we find the corpses of all the young girls used for Manuela's transplants and it strikes me how human a story Operation Javier is, and how tragic Javier's plight is. Especially when we eventually learn that the large creature that defends Manuela is none other than her mother who suffered the same disease Manuela currently does. Leon and Krauser must then do battle with Manuela's mother and do manage to kill her, but not before she injures Krauser by impaling him through the arm.

Enraged, Javier goes to his botanical garden where bizarrely there is a large plant byproduct of Manuela's t-Veronica treatment.

(What IS it with game and it's tenuous attempts to link the Veronica virus with bloody plants? From the bastardising they do in CODE: Veronica's retelling to this large plant?)

Anyhow, Javier is consumed by the plant and becomes an utterly ridiculous creature (and people get upset what Simmon’s becomes). In a battle I don't care to describe Leon and Krauser destroy the creature with the help of Manuela and her now inflammable blood.

Leon and an injured Krauser get airlifted away, and Manuela goes into the care of the US Government.

KRAUSER'S DARKSIDE

We play as Krauser and revisit the last two chapters but this time we hear his thoughts as both he and Leon assault Javier's mansion.

It appears that Krauser is totally disillusioned when he finds out about Leon being under direct command of the President. He also muses over how powerful the virus's could be.

All of this comes to a head when he is injured by Manuela's mother. Krauser knows the injury is too severe to allow him to stay within the Army and that he will be discharged upon his arrival home. This helplessness drives Krauser to total frustration as he finally admits to himself that he needs Leon's help to survive.

He then claims he wants the virus for himself and scarily Wesker when he says to himself that only power can be defeated by more power. As Javier is killed they board the chopper and we learn that Krauser's arm never recovered and had to leave the army, and then disappeared.

On a mountain in the distance, watching the Javier battle from afar is none other than Albert Wesker, whom Krauser says he should find to help him recover his strength. Has Wesker orchestrated this whole event?

--------

So what have we learned? Leon is now a fully fledged Special Agent now and answers directly to the President. Albert Wesker continues to influence events from behind the scenes as he provides Javier with the t-Veronica virus.

Krauser becomes somewhat obsessed with discovering this new world of BOWS... Will he find Wesker, and will there be any infection from his arm injury?

This is the first instance of a bio incident that doesn't directly involve Umbrella or one of this facilities.

-------

The best thing about Javier is by far the story of Javier and his family. It’s very tragic and is told quite well. I feel a great deal of pity for Manuela’s mother and the look she gives Manuela shortly before she dies is oddly touching.

But I feel Krauser’s motives and rationale to be quite lacking, and his monologues are just hastily written to get him to where the character needs to be in the future. On the whole Javier is a fun tale, in a good setting with a vast melting pot of creatures to fight. In a better game it could have really been something.

I'm not a big fan of Darkside Chronicles at all. In fact it is easily, by a country mile my least favourite game of the playthrough thus far. Bio2 and CODE: Veronica are told atrociously, and although Operation Javier is okay storywise, the gameplay utterly spoils any enjoyment one might have out if the game at all. The camera is WOEFUL, I can understand what they were trying to do, but it simply doesn't work. Other stupid ideas include having the shotgun reload time longer than in a survival horror game, I mean honestly. I really enjoy Umbrella Chronicles, but Darkside... I loathed playing it. I got so angry during Krauser Chapter 7 against the final boss (the difficulty bizarrely increases when you play as Krauser) that I just went back down to Easy just so I could finish it quicker.

Thankfully though we go from one of the worst, to one of the very best... I'm hearing a cruise ship called the Spencer Rain has just left port...

CHAPTER 1

10:13

RANK A

DEATHS: 0

CHAPTER 2

10:21

RANK A

CHAPTER 3

15:09

RANK A

CHAPTER 4

18:55

DEATHS: 1

CHAPTER 5

19:51

DARKSIDE

GAME MODE: Normal (Easy for Chapter 7)

CHAPTER 6

31:55

DEATHS: 5

CHAPTER 7

11:07

September 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD DEAD AIM/HEROES NEVER DIE - SEPTEMBER 22ND 2002

A couple of short months have passed since Leon’s exploits in South America, and we now find ourselves onboard the ‘Spencer Rain’, a Umbrella owned cruise ship that has been stolen by a Morpheus D. Duvall and subsequently an outbreak of the t-virus has killed everyone on board.

It seems that Morpheus is demanding 5 billion dollars from both the US and Chinese governments or else he will fire missiles loaded with t-virus, (stolen from the Umbrella Paris branch) into both countries. A company known as US Stratcom, have sent in agent Bruce McGivern and China sends in Fong Ling, a spy.

After boarding the Spencer Rain and behind held up by Morpheus, Fong Ling distracts the meeting with a well placed grenade which immediately fatally wounds Morpheus, while Bruce escapes to safety. Straight away we are thrust into the game and I mentioned on the podcast, it’s strange how the game begins mid-story.

I love Dead Aim and have played through it many times over the years, but I do always find the controls jarring when I first begin each time, but this was first and foremost a Gun Survivor game, so it’s controls and gameplay are very unique for a controller.

The puzzles are incredibly linear, with them being relegated to simple fetch quests over the entire game. Dead Aim is painfully short, but the setting, particularly the Spencer Rain and the labs at the end of the game are excellent. This is one of my favourite Biohazard games. I love how standalone it is, but also connected to the main series in a very respectable way. Give this game an over the shoulder camera and better controls, and it would be a stand out Biohazard game in my opinion.

Anyway, as Bruce and briefly Fong Ling, we work through the Spencer Rain, fending off the zombies and the new Hunter Elites we discover that Morpheus has infected himself with the new t+G-virus and has become… a female Tyrant. Yes, the design of Morpheus in this game is absolutely insane, but again I applaud the game for being audacious enough to go for that kind of thing. It really stands out as incredibly silly, especially as the rest of the game is quite straightforward, but hey. It’s Biohazard. Interestingly we find a file that mentions Umbrella blaming Morpheus for the accident that caused the biohazard back on May 11th 1998. Interesting, because as this series playthrough has proved, we all know it was James Marcus… Is Umbrella creating a scapegoat in Morpheus?

The ship eventually crashes into Morpheus’ island after a battle with a Tyrant, and as Bruce explores, I’m always won over by the atmosphere on the island in the FMV sequence. Ruined, derelict buildings stand in the moonlight, the music is brilliant and the feeling of isolation is incredible. How I’d have loved a playable section on the island, especially since this promise of a wonderful setting is spoiled somewhat when we go into a series of sewers and tunnels that all look exactly the same.

After battling a tragic monster called Pluto in a very intriguing boss fight where you need to remain as quiet as possible, (reading about the horrors he endured reminds me much of the childrens horrors in Survivor) we eventually go down into the Morpheus labs. This great setting is over far too soon and before long Bruce has acquired a ‘charged particle rifle’ (reminds me exactly of the Linear Launcher from CODE: Veronica), and has an awesome dual with Morpheus. I really enjoy this boss fight, strafing the pillars in first person whilst putting distance between yourself and Morpheus makes the fight very fun indeed.

A final sequence involves us as Bruce, guided by Fong Ling racing toward the missile control room, while a huge blob-form of Morpheus gives chase. This is incredibly frustrating, as the head of Morpheus pops out of the fleshy mass, you need to keep shooting the head to keep at bay, but miss only a few and he will easily crush you leading to an instant game over, and I just completely messed up struggling with my aim and he flattened me. I’m sure I’d have had an S rank had I done it first time.

Retrying, I felled Morpheus successfully, the missile base explodes and Bruce and Fong Ling escape with their lives.

-----

That’s a heavily abridged version of the game, but I truly love me some Dead Aim. Each time I play it however I’m always sad at how short the game is. I’ve completed the game sub-1 hour before but I was a bit rusty tonight.

So what do we know on reflection…Timeline wise? Well thanks to sources that have since surfaced, the Spencer Rain was at sea hosting an auction of various BOW to the highest bidders. This explains the room with the conference in it. I love this particular twist in the Umbrella story.

Weskers Extra Report from Umbrella Chronicles confirms that Umbrella have been transporting various BOW using boats… I wonder if there are any more out there?

STRATCOM seems to be very similar to the kind of organisation Leon works for.

Morpheus, an ex-Umbrella employee, in a revenge attack bizarrely causes the first Bio-terrorism threat. Little would we know at the time how this would influence the rest of the series… I don’t even think Capcom realise now.

Bruce and Fong Ling are fine additions to the character roster. I wonder if we’ll ever see them again.

And finally Umbrella, despite all the issues seem to getting back on track after a 4 year hiatus. I only wonder what has now happened to Sergei? Last seen some 4 years ago promising the revival of Umbrella. I wonder if this sudden resurgence is his doing? We know for a fact that as of 2002, the Paris facility is still operational.

-----

So where to now? With Umbrella making an appearance again, maybe it’s time for some familiar faces to re-appear and take up the fight once more?

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 01:08:41

NUMBER OF DEATHS: 1

NUMBER OF SAVES: 0

September 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD - THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES

UMBRELLA'S END - FEBRUARY 18TH 2003

After all the years battling Umbrella, here we have a scenario apparently promising the end once and for all.

We join Chris and Jill in Russia. They have joined a regional anti-Biohazard team and are making their way out to a nearby Umbrella facility.

As they enter battling a strong blizzard, they are quickly beset by a relentless onslaught of creatures and zombies, Hunters in particularly are absolutely relentless. Chris and Jill blast through the facility, and storywise there's not a great deal to report. We have an oddly recognisable corridor with lasers at one point, and for a second we have a nightmarish realisation that for the first time, Capcom have use the Paul WS Anderson movies as a physical reference point. The horror..... the horror.

As we go through the final section, I completely fluff a QTE and get killed by a falling barrel. Reloading we eventually reach the end of the road, and we come to a huge chamber. Over the speakers we have a recognisable voice as Sergei re-enters the series for the first time since Raccoon City. So this is where he has been hiding... Sergei unleashed TALOS, a rather ridiculous armoured Tyrant with a huge rocket launcher, controlled by the also-returning Red Queen computer. Chris and Jill manage to defeat it, but it quickly morphs into a huge beast suspended from the ceiling.

I completely fluffed up due to losing my first aid spray continue during the level, and had two deaths before I finally got it together and felled the evil creation. Turns out TALOS wasn't worth all of Sergei's promises.

So with the final Umbrella facility cleared out, the Chris and Jill's team burn all of the corpses of the creatures, and Chris and Jill mention how Umbrella is finally finished, but all of Chris' thoughts turn to Wesker, whom he mentions is 'still out there'...

A narration from Wesker confirms that Umbrella finally closes as the stocks plummet and the business is ordered to cease. Umbrella finally seems finished once and for all. But he puts a sinister twist on the whole affair by stating it was only through his help, Umbrella was finally ended.

There looks to be a Dark Legacy to uncover... It's time for Wesker to take the stage one more time.

UMBRELLA'S END #1:

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 14:55

NUMBER OF DEATHS: 0

UMBRELLA'S END #2:

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 11:19

UMBRELLA'S END #3:

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 13:39

NUMBER OF DEATHS: 3

September 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD - THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES

DARK LEGACY - FEBRUARY 18TH 2003

So here we go again at the Russian Facility. Wesker begins by continuing his monologue from Umbrella's End. 'The only thing that defeat power, is more power. '

Wesker starts way out in the Russian wilderness, and he mentions how he is using one pawn to eliminate the other. It appears Wesker was the one who tipped off Chris and co. to the Russian facility, and with them he intends to fight his own battle from behind the scenes.

Infiltrating the facility via a train, Wesker quickly comes to a huge chamber where we get to see some more impressive powers as he leaps to and fro between the many floors of the facillity. Within he meets none other than Sergei Vladmir again. He mentions that Sergei still seems resigned to go down with the sinking ship. Sergei wastes no time unleashes his two 'Ivan' Tyrants, and we are reminded where this conflict between Wesker and Sergei began all those years ago, back in the Training Facility.

This fight is horrible on the PS3 using a controller, the headshots required are such a small region on the screen, and attempting it with a cursor is a nightmare. Using a large amount of submachine ammo the Ivan's eventually fall. Wesker proceeds deeper into the facility.

The second scenario follows the same route as Chris and Jill did. Wesker is only a few seconds behind them, but near the end of the journey takes a different floor. While Chris and Jill battle TALOS, Wesker confronts Sergei for the last time.

Sergei introduces Wesker formally to the Red Queen computer, and immediately mutates into a Tyrant-likeform and attacks Wesker. During the fight Sergei reveals that Umbrella created ten clones of him, and this contribution allowed Umbrella to create the t-virus strain that allows more subjects to become Tyrant's. It is in effect through Sergei then, that the Survivor Tyrant mass-production facility exists.

The battle is over painfully quickly with a lot of rounds of the submachine gun, and Sergei eventually falls dead at last.

While the biohazard containment team burn all the BOW's, Wesker downloads all of the Umbrella files to a disc and reformats the Red Queen, erasing her and all the data forever. He muses Umbrella is finally finished.

A news report sounds over the credits, confirming at last that Umbrella has been closed, and that a huge manhunt is now underway for Ozwell E. Spencer. He's not forgotten about by Capcom after all...

A post credits scene with Wesker showing him sat before all the Umbrella assets in what appears to be a command center of sorts. He closes out Umbrella Chronicles by saying that he and Spencer will see each other again before this drama unfolds...

----

So where does that leave us?

Wesker single handedly owns all the assets of Umbrella, he very much appears to be working alone now....? Where is the rival company and who are they?

Spencer has finally been promised a return to the series, even with the fall of Umbrella. The ending of Umbrella Chronicles gives us much to be excited about regarding the future, despite Umbrella seemingly not in the picture anymore.

Where does this now leave Chris and Jill? Will they continue to fight? Who will they fight? Will they be the ones who find Spencer?

It seriously now feels one massive chapter of Biohazard has been finished, and it's genuinely intriguing as to which direction the series will choose to go now.

DARK LEGACY #1:

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 09:41

GAME MODE: NORMAL

DARK LEGACY #2

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 08:24

September 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Here is my attempt at this quite legendary series...

BIOHAZARD ZERO - JULY 23RD-24TH 1998

It dawned on me as I headed off into the darkness of Raccoon Forest with my Bravo Team companions just how this basic plot line of people going missing in the woods would spawn so many sequels over so many years. Once again I had chosen hard mode but this time felt comfortable that using aid sprays wouldn't affect my ranking. I'd also try the knife on the Stinger to conserve ammo but other than that, my method though this game would remain the same.

The Ecliptic Express section is a very effective opening sequence. The rain banging relentlessly on the windows is something I wish they had done for the mansion in remake. The tight train compartments and limited ammo makes combat tense, but necessary as there is no way around them. Once the train starts moving of its own accord, you are left feeling numb knowing you are becoming further stranded from your team members with each passing second. Discarded notes about a virus, the discovery that these dead train passengers are not just regular folks but part of a secret Umbrella investigation team, and just who is that mysterious guy in the rain who can control these leeches? Oh yes, the mysteries this game contained were expanding nicely. Mix in a conspiracy element with Wesker and Birkin closely monitoring your progress and the destruction of the clean-up team sent to retake the train and it is all bubbling together rather nicely.

So I found myself having to team up with 'mysterious drifter' Billy Coen in order to survive the horrors of the train. If I were playing this game for the first time ever, I'd naturally be wary of his intentions. Did I really want to work with a convicted murderer? Could I trust him? Nowadays, I wish Billy Coen had never existed and it was Richard Aiken accompanying me on my adventure. Surely that would have made much more sense, especially considering Billy is never seen nor heard from again.

From playing the later games it took me a while to adjust to the slow pace and I was constantly looking for a quick re-load button. But a few rooms and files in and I was soon remembering why I enjoyed these early games so much. The exploration, the interaction with environments. Knowing that if I died that would be it and I wouldn't just be sent back to a checkpoint 30 seconds earlier. All this helped create a tension that just cannot be found in later Biohazard games.

Despite using a couple of hangun clips too many for my liking, I managed to arrive at the training facility without any problems. I began my route through the old dust-ridden building, trying to imagine it being operational during its hey day in the 70's. The environments and rooms still look beautiful today. As I went along I found myself comparing it to the slow-paced sections in Ivy University and I'm sorry but this just wins hands-down. When compared to something like this Biohazard 6 is quite frankly pathetic.

Soon I acquired the shotgun and the grenade launcher. My plan was to keep the grenade launcher and use the shotgun only as a last resort. But that didn't work out. Three shells to take out a single plague crawler? Luckily I could remember the right way round to collect everything I needed, black and white angel statues and wings, the clock hand, the microfilm A and B, the Fire and Water Keys etc. I was doing okay. But again I soon found myself low on ammo. The stupid giant centipede bled my shotgun dry. 21 rounds followed by 7 grenades in order to take that bastard out. I was soon being forced to create molotov cocktails and they are just plain awful in this game.

Once both angel statues were in place I unlocked the basement section. I tried to use molotov cocktails on the giant spiders which proved to be a big mistake and resulted in me having to use the last of my grenade launcher ammo on them.

Despite ammo being low, I hadn't saved and I hadn't used any first aid sprays. The Queen Leech under the guise of Marcus decided to up the ante and released his Eliminators into the equation. I love how in this game your progress is being closely monitored by Wesker and Birkin. The scene where Wesker discusses leaving Umbrella seems a world away from DSO Agent Sherry Birkin and Anti-C hero Jake Muller. Sherry was 12 and Jake 6 at this point. Ah, bless.

After saving Rebecca, Billy told his story of his mission to Africa. He would have been much more an effective character if he had been a real murderer and not just a cliched scapegoat for a botched mission.

Like last time, I was about 2 hours in at this point and set about getting the three obedience tablets so I could escape this place. The first one I got from the basement after solving that excellent animal puzzle with the flames. Then I had to use the water key and get the battery from the bar. It was here that our two heroes were seperated.

I normally dread this section and the musical score at this particular moment is terrifying. The Mimicry Marcus's need to be avoided at all costs. Billy plays the piano in the bar so that Rebecca can get the battery. So far so good. I had to send Billy even further in to get the second tablet from the vice in the workshop. Luckily, I made it out unscathed.

After getting the final tablet from atop of the pillar outside the main door, I headed out via the rear observatory and made for the church. I made my first game save here, as I always do on Zero playthroughs, right before facing the giant bat. I used Billy and the shotgun to take him down without any issues and made my way down to Marcus's secret lab.

I love this section. The architecture of this place is just a reminder of how Biohazard can create such iconic locations. I could well imagine Marcus sat at the desk in his office, jotting down his thoughts about Progenitor and Spencer in his diary as eerie shadows are cast onto the walls from the glowing fish tank in the corner. Incidentally. there is a painting on the opposite wall from his desk which reads; 'Woman in love with a dead man.'

It was right before I made my escape on the cable car that I had my first and only death in this entire game. Due to the lack of item boxes, I send Rebecca back to the upstairs lab to retrieve 6 acid rounds I'd been forced to leave on the floor. Unfortunately for me a Mimicry Marcus was lurking in the background and promptly took me out.

Cursing, I restarted from the church with the bat fight and fought my way through the labs again, this time making it through unscathed and after being separated from Billy, took the cable car all the way back to Birkin's lab in Raccoon City, or was it Birkin's lab?

I remember the first time I played this section and when I triggered the cutscene with the elevator I couldn't even begin to guess who was riding down to meet me. Seeing Enrico step out was a mixture of huge relief and confusion. Just how the hell did he get here! He was heading off towards the mansion, Kenneth, Richard and Forest were still alive and kicking and had gone on ahead apparantly. I wanted to join them but was obligated to find Billy.

I soon fought the T-001, a boss fight that always fills me with dread given the confined circumstances you find yourself in. But this is a ridiculously easy fight to win without scoring any damage, even on hard mode. Looks like Umbrella were right to scrap it.

As I infiltrated the water treatment plant far below ground, I was soon reunited with Billy and we fought our way through to the final battle with the Queen Leech without any problems.

Whilst Rebecca waited outside the foundry door, I took Billy back to the training facility alone to collect the array of mixed herbs I had left on the floor before saving the game for the second time. Then Rebecca triggered the final battle.

The Queen Leech, stupid idea. This game unfortunately has followed on from the trend that began with Code:Veronica when when grounded realism was tossed out of the window in favour of pure fantasy. Was I supposed to believe that the entire events of remake, the best game of all time, were caused by a leech?

Boss battle part 1 was done quite easily, though most of my ammo was now gone. I saved again here though as boss battle part 2 is tense as hell as you feel utterly helpless for Rebecca as she tries to open up the roof. With no ammo I was distracting the pursuing leech with nothing more than my charm.

So, I had done it at the second time of asking, having only died once in the entire game. And I was irked at what a pointless death that was, as completing Bio0 on hard mode with no deaths would have been an achievement I would have been proud of certainly. Still, Billy had never died and was able to walk off to his new found freedom. The final closing shot of the mansion and the butterfly caught in the spider's web is satisfyingly chilling. As I headed off towards it to try and locate the rest of my team, I can only wonder what my emotions would be if this had been the first Biohazard title I had ever played. Playing Zero then heading into Remake without any clues as to what would happen must have been a very strange occurence for the minor few who have probably experienced it.

With these thoughts swirling in my head, time for a quick nap in the Guardhouse...#

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 4:40:01

GAME MODE: HARD

NUMBER OF SAVES: 3

NUMBER OF DEATHS: 1

BIOHAZARD: THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES: - BEGINNINGS 1 - JULY 24TH 1998

Beginnings has never really sat right with me. Its just a poor excuse to shoe horn in a Wesker scenario for the Zero section of the game. We are given no reason why Wesker would leave Raccoon City and travel to the infested Management Training Facility. Was it so he could see the damage up close? Was it so he could collect something important? Alas, it would seem not. He just goes there for the sake of it, and that is why this scenario doesn't work.

It is the same for Sergei. Why does he go to URC? If it was to intercept Wesker, how did he know Albert was going to be there?

Anyways, this side story takes place whilst Rebecca and Billy are fighting their way through the Water Treatment Plant below ground. I am reminded of this when the cable car has no power thanks to Rebecca'a antics and am forced to backpedal to reroute the power. I come across the T-001 again, already damaged thanks to Rebecca and Billy. It doesn't take much to finish it off though Wesker is surprised it is even active in the first place. I have no issues on this level. Should have risked hard mode perhaps? Time to take the cable car...

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 08:05

BIOHAZARD: THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - BEGINNINGS 2 - JULY 24TH, 1998

It's a strange sensation moving around the church towards the observatory, knowing I was battling through here as Rebecca and Billy only a few hours ago. The facility itself should largely be free of enemies aside from the odd Mimicry Marcus but alas I find it full of non-canon B.O.W.s. Why am I bothering with this? Why is Wesker even here?

After shooting bats on the roof terrace and moving through the bell-tower I jump down the broken lift and into the library. Whilst I admired the asthetics of this room as Billy and Rebecca, here I practically destroy it with grenades. Ah, what the hell, my good pal Birkin is gonna detonate it all in a matter of minutes anyway... say, why am I here again?

Down through the main hall, I pass through the small sewer access and into the train yard basement where the wreckage of the Ecliptic Express is still aflame. Suddenly, the plot finally kicks in and here comes Sergei Vladimir; a top Umbrella executive who is none to happy I have failed with the Reclamation Project. Ivan is let loose on me; a re-engineered T-103 unit as Sergei's bodyguard. The battle is tough, but I come through, aided thanks to the detonation of the facility above.

As I make my escape, I reflect on my pointless, unnecessary and dangerous trip through URC. Just how big a role will this Sergei play in future games? He mentioned the T-A.L.O.S. retrieval, just what is that? And is he heading for the same place Rebecca was after she split up from Billy?

I quickly followed the train tracks back to Raccoon City, hoping to get back before Chris, Barry and the others knew I was gone. I had a rival company to join, and tonight was going to be the big night. Just one last job to do...

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 08:29

September 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

BIOHAZARD: THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - NIGHTMARE 1 - JULY 24TH, 1998

So having had a nice nap in one of the dorms of the Guardhouse, my tiredness had developed into a nightmare foreshadowing an appearance of a giant snake. Given that I was abducted by a giant centipede less than 24 hours ago the existence of such a creature is not beyond the realms of possibility. A voice awakens me with a start and I find Bravo Team colleague RIchard Aiken by the door. I'm only on my second game of this marathon and already it seems an age since we'd first touched down in Raccoon Firest with the rest of Bravo Team.

After informing him of Edward's demise we set off on a quest to find Enrico Marini, who must be around here somewhere. Much like the training facility, the Arklay estate is populated with zombies, giant spiders and bats. We also get attacked by Cereberus dogs for the first time since the specimens being transported on the Ecliptic Express. A search of the Guardhouse is fruitless and we drop through a hole in the floor only to land in the domain of the Black Tiger in the underground mining tunnels. After a quick escape we make it above ground and into the courtyard. Amidst the beautiful foliage, architecture and water features, the garden is a hive for secondarily infected creatures, including adders, bees and crows. We need to get back inside ASAP.

As we took the elevator up my weapons and ammo were plentiful and I'd hardly taken a hit. The only obstacle between us and the back door of the mansion is the giant wasp. Indeed, I would say my only complaint about this otherwise excellent scenario is the amount of insects. Soon enough, it is dead and Richard and I are safely in the mansion unscathed.

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 11.39

BIOHAZARD: THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - NIGHTMARE 2

It feels good to be back inside the mansion, much safer than outside. My phobia of rank means I destroy every picture and light I see which spoils any tension the scenario tries to create. I also feel on edge as I couldn't find the first aid spray on this level meaning death was only a few bites away. Crimson heads attack relentlessly and ammo is running low at this point.

On the upper floor of the main hall balcony we spot two figures in the woods through the window. I recognise them as Sergei Vladimir and his Ivan bodyguard. What are they doing here? Ivan has something in a body bag over his shoulder. Is that T-A.L.O.S? We watch with awe as Ivan protects Sergei by swatting the attacking Cerberus' away like flies.

Moving on, we are attacked by crows on the outside balcony. After Richard comes to my aid I begin to wonder if everyone else is dead. Suddenly, the Yawn appears. It is the snake from my dream and it proceeds to chase us around the second floor east wing of the mansion before cornering us in the library. By this point it has managed to get a few bites in and I'm one hit away from death. Time to switch to the magnum I've been saving. It works wonders on the beast and it soon bids a hasty retreat but unfortunately, Richard is hurt bad. He looks to have been poisoned and has lost a bit of blood. The Yawn has gone to lick its wounds but how long before it comes back? We can only sit in the library and wait for help to arrive...

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 08:06

September 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

BIOHAZARD - JULY 24/25TH 1998.

Compared to Bio0, I think Remake is very easy to complete. As I booted it up I decided to go for Real Survivor Mode and would not use any first aid sprays. I chose Chris Redfield as my character and before long I was up in the Alpha Team helicopter, probing the darkness of Raccoon Forest looking for my missing comrades. This is now game 3 of my epic walkthrough and what do I know so far? Well, Edward Dewey is dead, I last saw Enrico at the factory and I know at least Richard and Rebecca have made it this far, with Richard becoming injured at the hands of the giant snake. But what of Forest, Kenneth and Kevin? These were the things I wanted to know as we suddenly located the wreckage of the crashed Bravo Team helicopter. Kevin was dead, mauled by Cerberus dogs it would seem. Before long, Joseph Frost was the next to go, viciously ripped apart in front of me. We ran, towards the ominous mansion that BIo0 had hinted was ground zero for all the chaos that had unfolded around the outskirts of Raccoon CIty. Just what secrets would I find within?

We made it to the mansion, just. But now Barry was gone too and I apparently had lost my gun in the melee. The mansion is grand, much more lavishly furnished than the abandoned, dilapidated relic that the training facility had been. I go to investigate a near by gunshot and find Kenneth Sullivan dead. I report back to Jill and Wesker in the main hall only to find they had disappeared too. This feels like an old school horror movie where we are all getting picked off one by one. Now I know from my stint through Beginnings 1 and 2 in Umbrella Chronicles that Wesker knows more than he is letting on and clearly has his own agenda. But now JIll was gone too, it was literally down to me to unravel the mystery of this game, and that's quite an unnerving feeling when I had a partner character accompany me for the entirely of the last game.

Luckily for me, Jill's gun is on the floor so I scoop it up and begin my investigation.

Of course, despite trying to use my imagination, the mansion layout is very familiar after years of playthroughs. I can memorise all the paintings, the tears in the wallpaper, the puzzles, and although after 11 years it is beginning to show its age, the atmosphere it generates is still breathtaking. The paintings with the scratched out faces, the stained glass windows that resemble a witch, the notes and journals that document the fate of the researchers working here... Every time I play this game I imagine what it must have been like pre-accident with people living and working here, who occupied which room and what day to day life must have been like.

Ammo is very scarce on this mode, a fact I am reminded of when I go to get the clip by the bird cage with the dead raven inside only to find it's not there. Another issue with Chris is having to locate the five old keys as he doesn't have a lock pick. Seasoned Remake veterans will of course know that the key to this game is getting hold of the Armor Key as soon as possible. But a lack of ammo means fighting two dogs on the terrace with just a combat knife is a very distinct possibility.

I try to forget the very concrete fact that this game was released before Bio 0 and speculate about the accident that happened here. Clearly from the researcher's diaries I find they genuinely believe it to be an accident that the virus has escaped. I of course have prior knowledge that it was no normal accident at all, and that it was the Queen Leech that did all this. Another interesting note is the initial accident is dated as May 11th. Why have Umbrella left this place for so long without attempting a clean-up? These are questions we all know the answers to now but I vividly and fondly remember distinctly wondering about these things on my first ever playthrough.

Crimson heads. Quite genius, and a bit of strategy and tactics is introduced when there is clearly not enough oil to burn all the bodies you put down, and especially when the damn canteen is in the item box at the other side of the damn house! One of the fun things a out this game is planning your route around the house. What is the safest way, do I conserve ammo and risk the bodies rising, or take the long way round?

Death Masks. Disappointing picture puzzle, preferred the old one. Hidden gas chamber in the Armor room. By now I realise real survival mode is really impeding my playthrough time because the item boxes are not interlinked, but what the hell? I'm enjoying this.

I find Richard and Rebecca, alive but shaken. Quickly we get Richard to the medical room and stabilise him whilst I look for the last two death masks. Forest is dead. Bummer. Only Enrico to find then, and when I last saw him at the factory in Bio0, he seemed like the one most likely to have the answers.

Before long, I have them all and am in the courtyard crypt fighting the Crimson Head prototype 1. I was worried about ammo at this stage but five shotgun rounds is all it takes to take him down.

Onto the Guardhouse. Sadly, Richard is lost to the Neptune and I have my first brush with death after I emerge from a fight to the death with Plant 42 on red danger. Luckily, Rebecca is waiting to heal my wounds. I meet Wesker, who says he and Jill got seperated. Really? Nevertheless, he orders me back to the mansion to check out the last few rooms. Orders are orders.

Another slight criticism for me is I believe the Hunters in this game are no way as fearsome as they were in the original Biohazard. But then again, when you've got very little ammo, they are always gonna be a challenge. As I search around more, the conspiracy element of the story is really beginning to come out now when I find a document that confirms that STARS were deliberately lured to the mansion to engage these creatures in combat for the purposes of battle data. It seemed Umbrella wanted to market these things as weapons, and me and my team were nothing more than guinea pigs. The whole plot of this game, for 1996, was very ambitious.

I explore the mining tunnels breath the estate and am ecstatic to do find Enrico alive. However, he mumbles traitor before being shot and killed by an unseen assassin. The fact he appeared to level his gun at me tells me he did not know who it was. Fascinating. Onwards.

I assist Wesker in finishing off the Lisa Trevor specimen, ending the tragic tale of George Trevor and his family, a haunting tragic subplot that will resonate throughout his series.

Finally, I am in the lab. Ada, John. Must remember that name... I set the power for the elevator and do everything I need to do before enging the Tyrant. Here I am faced with the ultimate dillema: I'm right at the end, I haven't saved the game at all, I haven't used a single first aid spray and I only had 40 handgun rounds left and nothing else. Is it enough to defeat the Tyrant? With no other choice, I have to try. I can't even rely on the knife as I left it in one of the storage boxes way back in the mansion.

Fuck it...

Wesker is the traitor. Hmm, didn't we that one coming. He is skewered like a fish as he tells me his plans. Is that it? Surely he must come back at some point... Right?

My fears turned out to be for nothing as the tyrant on real survival mode took just 11 pistol rounds to drop. I grab Rebecca, find Jill locked up in the cells and make for the heliport. Barry is here too by the way, he's just off camera I guess.

Final battle is easy enough and Brad flies us off into the morning sun as the estate blows up behind us. Surely that's the end of Umbrella's insidious plans...

So no saves and no deaths. Chuffed with that as it makes the whole thing seem so much more real, although my play time was extended by at least one hour for storage box collection and item swapping. Overall still my favourite game, just ever so slightly disappointed at the lack of challenge. My fight with Plant 42 was the only time I was ever in any real danger of dying. Can't say the same for Bio0.

Time for the brew back at the R.P.D. Can't wait to tell all my colleagues about these zombies and that Umbrella, the world''s leading pharmaceutical corporation and employers of 30% of Raccoon City's population, are in fact evil bastards! Yeah, can't envision any problems with that. Here's to a long and prosperous career in S.T.A.R.S...

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 4:23:01

GAME MODE: Real Survival

NUMBER OF SAVES: 0

September 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

BIOHAZARD: THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - REBIRTH 1 - JULY 25TH, 1998

I had died once apparantly. That I can testify to when my playthorugh as Chris Redfield saw my STARS Captain gutted before my very eyesand yet here I was, back in the shoes of Albert Wesker as he rises up from the dead. I can only imagine the confusion for players who were going through this series for the very first time in its proper order.

It is revealed that Wesker has survived due to his administration of an experimental virus given to him by William Birkin, the scientist chap I had been collaborating with during the Beginnings 1+2 segments and who was briefly glimpsed in Biohazard 0. So it was part of my plan to die? I fear this particular plot point is going to bother me for a long time to come before any answers are forthcoming. Nevertheless, at this stage it appears I wanted to fake my death to lull Chris and his cohorts, not to mention Umbrella Corp itself, that I was dead and buried. Now I was free to join the Rival Company, if I could just get myself out of this place.

The STARS rookie had activated the self-destruct system so I didn't have long. I tried to download the precious combat data I had spent all evening collecting only to find myself locked out of the mainframe system by my nemesis, Sergei Vladimir. A new security system dubbed 'Red Queen' had been activated and was blocking my access. Furious, I had no choice but to get the hell out of there.

The lab was soon accosted by Chimeras and I relied on heavy weaponry to keep them at bay. Not confident in my abilities on first person shooters I had chicked out and plumped for Normal mode. The Chimeras mixed with Hunters were still a bitch though. I even got the button prompt wrong in the elevator corridor which saw me sliced open by a Chimera and on the verge of death.

Luckily, I found a couple of herbs on my way back upstairs, cursing revenge on Chris and Jill as I went. Soon I was at the elevator that would take me back up to the courtyard but wait... Imagine my surprise to see Lisa Trevor waiting for me. It was not so long ago that my best marksman Chris Redfield and myself watched you fall down a deep chasm clutching your mother's skull, and yet here you are. However, she doesn't take much to go down and I am soon safely riding up to surface level.

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 05:10

BIOHAZARD: THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - REBIRTH 2 - JULY 25TH, 1998

For reasons I cannot fathom, I find myself in the main hall of the mansion once again. Surely with this place on the verge of detonation, I would have just vauled over the fence and disappeared into the woods up in the courtyard right? Apparantly not, and this highlights my issues with the early Wesker bonus scenarios in Umbrella Chronicles.

Lisa Trevor blocks my way to the front door. She is stalking me alright. Perhaps she recognises my face from the numerous experiments I performed on her during my time at Arklay datng back 20 years ago now? I am forced to retreat back upstairs and take a route through the east wing of the mansion. En route I am attacked by zombies and Hunters, soon becoming trapped in the armour room where I am forced to throw a couple of grenades to clear a path through to continue.

I was constantly on edge throughout this level as I had missed the precious aid spray pick up, meaning death could come at any time. I was a bit too liberal with my ammo as I arrived downstairs and made my way back towards the main hall. Luckily, in the reception room, the last of my grenades revealed a grenade launcher that I was able to use on Lisa Trevor in the main hall. Quite fittting it was to see the chandelier crash down from the ceiling and pin her to the floor. Be a good girl and stay dead this time.

It was practically daylight as I raced through the woods, trying to put as much distance between myself and the main mansion building until it exploded behind me. I watched the smoking ruin from a distance, noting that the hole in my abdomen had already healed over. The experimental virus had turned me into something more than human. I had lost the Tyrant, which was planned to be a gift for the Rival Company, but I still had a sample of the t-Virus and other related samples pertaining to the BOWs which should still enable me to join their ranks.

Chris Redfield and Sergei Vladimir would suffer for what they had done...

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 05:09

So there we have it, the entire Raccoon Forest era completed and only one death. Now I am not one for bragging but I am extremely pleased with this as I freely admit to being an average game player. What irks me most is the fact that the one death I had was a pointless one. It was whilst playing as Rebecca in Zero and I went back to the church lab to pick up some grenade rounds because there were no item boxes.

What is remarkable about these games is that what started out as a simple trip into the woods to look for missing hikers has developed into a deep-rooting conspiracy involving so many people. The elite STARS team have all but been wiped out, and the survivors are sure to be ridiculed when they arrive home with tales of corporate zombies and the blame being laid on the world's leading pharmaceutical firm that just happens to employ so many people in Raccoon City.

We also have three established villians, each with their own agenda. We have Sergei, who is utterly loyal to Umbrella and may have just saved their bacon with his seizure of the combat data from the mansion, a mission Wesker should have completed for them. We have William Birkin, who has dropped hints about creating a new virus that surpasses the t-Virus itself. And finally we have Albert Wesker, a complex man who has already betrayed Umbrella and is planning to take their work to a rival organisation. Not only is he now super-human, but everyone believes him to be dead, allowing him to go about his work quietly behind the scenes. I wonder when he will come to the forefront once again?

And for the heroes, well who do we have left? Rebecca has been through the most and survived a hell of an ordeal but she is so young and naive I question her strength in going forward in the battles to come. We also have Billy Coen, who took no part in the mansion incident, choosing to flee into the woods in a bid to save his own skin. He is still a wanted man and yet he could easily be passed off as dead now. I doubt we will see him again. It would seem our best bet lies with Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, the surviving STARS members. I'm sure they will be assisted by Barry.

It's getting interesting...

September 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 4 - Autumn 2004

So here comes the new generation of Biohazard. We are quickly told a brief recap of what happened with Raccoon City, and subsequently what happened to Umbrella.

In retrospect now, the introduction doesn’t hurt anymore. Though Umbrella Chronicles was hardly the ‘take down Umbrella’ scenario we all expected, it’s addition to the series no longer means that Biohazard 4 is a bitter pill to swallow when it starts.

Straight away we are thrust straight into the action, which we all know by now. Leon S. Kennedy, still a Government Agent working (as we know thanks to Operation Javier) under direct control of the President. It seems that the President’s daughter has been kidnapped, and Leon has to go to rural Spain, to get her back.

Yes, the setup is still as stupid as it was way back in 2005, but mercifully it’s quickly put to one side when the quite frankly stunning atmosphere takes over. The opening in the village is brilliant, giving me a feeling of the classic, original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The Autumn setting, the cold, harsh aesthetic of the trees and brown look of everything is deeply unsettling, and Capcom achieve the feeling of total isolation and hostility very quickly. With zombies being replaced for the first time by what we know as Ganado, and the change to the new over the shoulder viewpoint, the transition to the new generation of Biohazard comes across initially very well.

So as we battle through the village a couple of things hit me. First of all the HD version looks pretty amazing, with the game upscaling very well. The sound however is shocking, and someone needs to tell Capcom that a HD version doesn’t just mean visuals. Secondly I am so rusty at the game. I can get into Biohazard 5 straight away, but the lack of melee moves and the subtly different aiming means throughout the game I had some very silly deaths.

As we rescue the President’s daughter, Ashley Graham in the village church, we are quickly introduced to the leader of the Ganado, an Osmund Saddler. Saddler is also the leader of the Los Illuminados cult that will attack Leon through the game. It goes without saying but Saddler is a pretty terrible villain. He’s a sort of pantomime bad guy that keeps turning up, saying something clichéd (ironic given what he says at the end of the game about clichés) and devious and then leaving Leon to his lackeys. This is repeated throughout the game, and it’s completely tiresome.

We meet Luis Sera and indulge probably the games set piece, as Luis, Leon and Ashley are besieged by loads of Ganado within a log cabin. Luis quickly disappears every time he arrives, and a chance for a truly great character is skipped altogether all the way to the point he is killed off. We then have a great little boss fight with the village chief Mendes. His mutation always reminded me of John Carpenter’s The Thing. A special mention must also go out to the brilliant battle on the lake. It’s a truly amazing moment of the game.

As we go into the castle, it’s a little better than I remember it, even Salazar, the 20 year old dwarf owner of the castle doesn’t irritate me like he used to. The castle however, long outstays its welcome, and I realise that extremely little happens for a huge duration of the game. Once Ashley has been recaptured the game meanders for what feels like forever. Even a great scene with a returning Ada annoys me, which I’ll get into shortly. We rescue Ashley again, she’s recaptured again. It’s just tiresome.

We then get to Chapter 4, which is honestly the single biggest waste of time in the entire series, it truly is. I’ve always had a problem with Chapter 4, because there’s literally no reason for it to exist. It doesn’t forward the story in anyway, and just slams the brakes on hard. Chapter 3 could have ended with the Salazar boss, and gone on straight to the island and Biohazard 4 would be all the better for it. As it stands Chapter 4, with it’s admittedly decent Verdugo fight, and it’s giant stone Salazar robot just bogs the game down and totally destroys its pacing.

Thankfully the game hugely picks up for Chapter 5, when we are immediately introduced to a returning Krauser. He’s now notably scarred, and seemingly working for Saddler… II wonder what happened to him?

The island, though linear is classic Biohazard, the introduced Regenerators are all time fantastic monster to fight, and the setting is often creepy and atmospheric, when the game isn’t doing an all out action set piece.

The best sequence of Leon’s campaign is probably when Ada and Krauser discuss Wesker not trusting Ada, to which Ada replies that she’s known Wesker longer. It’s a great little scene (Krauser found Wesker after all and is in fact working for him and not Saddler), the powerplay between these two characters using Wesker a trump card is quite electric. Who will prevail?

Well it’s evidently not Krauser who has a great little knife fight with Leon when they become reunited, and with Krauser getting the upper hand it’s Ada who comes in and saves Leon. Krauser then battles Leon again and reveals a freak mutation in his arm… The same arm injured in Operation Javier! Now, I know this has been confirmed to be a Plagas mutation, but the connection however unfulfilled is still a good one. There’s definately a link, otherwise Capcom wouldn’t have bothered him being injured in Operation Javier. A painfully easy boss fight against Krauser continues, and he seemingly falls dead.

We rescue Ashley yet again, and battle Saddler in an admittedly fantastic rooftop battle in the rain. I actually think that the Saddler boss fight is one of the series best. With Ada throwing a rocket launcher to Leon he finally dispatches Saddler, and Ada takes the Plagas sample from Leon and leaves. Leon and Ashley escape the island via a jet ski.

-------

So all we know really from a timeline point of view, is that Krauser is seemingly dead, and Ada had a vested interest in obtaining the main Plagas sample from Saddler.

-------

Oh Biohazard 4. I’ve always had a turbulent time with my feelings toward the game, and no lost within a series playthrough it stands out all the more as just being an utterly ridiculous entry into the series. The story (for Leon’s scenario at least) is absolutely woeful, with only characters such as Krauser and Ada giving it any interest whatsoever. Krauser, having been in Operation Javier beforehand, now has a much better appearance being in the game, rather than just random character plucked out from Leon’s past.

The scene where Leon and Ada meet annoyed me then, and it still annoys me now. I remember being stupidly excited about Leon discovering Ada still being alive, but it’s completely thrown away by the fact that he already knew, and then just jumps straight into the issue of her working for Wesker. Now, Leon being an Agent would have evidently been very privy to all this, but it amazes me that Leon can uncover Ada working for Wesker, and yet Chris in 2013 doesn’t even know who Ada is… It’s bonkers.

The game is about precious, little, nothing. It doesn’t push the series forward in anyway. It’s over long, badly paced and although the gameplay is good, I quickly tired of the game to be honest. I can overlook any issues a Biohazard has at trying to be a game, so long as the story is good enough, and Biohazard 4’s is just terrible. It really is. I’ve not even bothered to mention Leon and Ashley being infected because it’s just such a wasted, wasted plot point. Time has not been kind to this game in truth.

But I’ll not write it off completely just yet, I’ve a feeling we’ve only learned half of the story of the Biohazard 4 incident. Ada Wong kept her cards very close to her when she met Leon, and she’s still clearly working for Wesker. Perhaps it’s time to find out exactly what she was up to, before she and Leon, once again, went their Separate Ways.

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 10:36:15

TOTAL NUMBER OF SAVES: 20

TOTAL NUMBER OF DEATHS: 11

September 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

(I'm going to put all these superb commentaries in order upon completion of Biohazard 6)

BIOHAZARD: CODE: VERONICA

Rockfort Island - DECEMBER 27TH 1998

Part 1

The first thing I would like to mention is THANK YOU Capcom - not something I often shout since 2005, but what a hugely unexpected treat to replay this instalment on a current generation console in HD. Was this any more likely back when CV was released on a Sega Dreamcast, than a Survivor remake ? I don't think so, and it's presence on XBOX LIVE is a f**king joy.

OK, on to the gameplay, and of course TheBatman is absolutely right about the opening cut-scene, but, and even, for someone who takes Resident Evil far too seriously and proud of that, I just can't help but enjoy it immensely. I can go with Clare having both natural athletic skills and sibling taught combat skills, and a dose of luck to do what she does in this spectacular chase, right up to the gravity defying gun trick.... and her past Raccoon City encounters would have definitely honed those skills and hardened her in exactly the same way seen in The Walking Dead with Angela's journey as a character. But the intellectual merits of taking out 1 pesky kid whilst destroying most of the Paris branch are questionable and is far too fantastical an opening particularly when compared to those that introduced BIO1,2,3 and Survivor. However I think this is nothing compared to the significant destruction done to survival horror, not by a few seconds in a mere minute long opening cut scene, but by an entire f**king game, in Biohazard 5 which as far as I am concerned, for that reason, has 1000th of the integrity that this ridiculous cut-scene action has; I’d take CVX with such faults over that call of duty, mindless, repetitious garbage any day.

The zombies ridsing from their own graves, rejuvenated by a strain of the t-virus that has now leaked across this island facility, is a very welcome return of a nightmare first seen in BIO3. But there is a difference, one that runs through this whole game, and in some way goes to explain & justify the opening cut-scene. These zombies have a noticeable and deadly turn of speed, an extension upon their restrictive movements in the pre CVX era. What I believe Capcom were trying to do, in a small way here, and with greater perspective in other areas of the game, is to broaden out the narrative, scenario, context, and universal appeal of their survival horror franchise. So we go from isolated mansion in BIO1, to average size mid-west City IN BIO2&3 to small Island location in Survivor, and now on to two separate large-scale facilities, spanning 2 different continents. The opening cut-scene was conceived with that in mind, and this ambitious extension pervades much in CVX, to include the developed quickened movements of the zombies.

The first file I read, The Prisoner’s Diary is pure Resident Evil file reading, and it I will never tire of learning in the desperate dairy entries of a man whose terrible fate is hinted at in increasingly heavier suggestion with each page, of the building where those taken never come back.

It is a legal requirement that something sinister should burst through an unsecure looking glass window at the start of a Biohazard main title game, and CVX fulfils that very satisfying obligation which has me running straight into the arms of an unseen zombie that has just reanimated on the other side of the wall I just ran around to find sanctuary to load up my pistol. It’s the little things like that – place a zombie around the corner the player will clearly run to, so as to f**k them – wonderful.

With both zombies dispatched with my pistol I am free to pick up some beefed up fire-power, worryingly early in the game for such an upgrade…. What awaits so soon ….?!! And I am free to look around the desperate last home of the author of that depressing diary I just read. Looks like the meagre habitat of WW2 concentration camp victims.

More strategically placed zombies right next to opening doors, and there is the same intensity to dodge immediate danger as there was when first encountering the walking dead of Raccoon City. There is an abundance of zombies, many strategically placed, and they show a turn of pace not yet seen in Biohazard – wonderful.

Any inter-personal relationships between B.O.W.s and/or secondary infectants with other B.O.W.s and/or secondary infectants works wonderfully well for me, so infected Dobermans feasting upon t-virus infected zombies is a pleasure to experience here, so early on in my tour of Rockfort.

And then it happens again “PLEASE DEPOSIT ANY METALIC ITEMS YOU HAVE IN THE SECURITY BOX”. One word – C*NT.

Steve Burnside – O.K. first things first – don’t judge a character by the voice actor he’s lumbered with, who seems to have read the whole script with a crank up his arse. Steve is no Billy Coen – he has a back story that fits perfectly in the Resident Evil universe, and thus reasonably justifies his cantankerous attitude, and lends the character more integrity & interest. As a CHARACTER, without the hammy, screeching fool that voices him, I love Steve, for having a depressing back-story, a maturing attitude that grows as his journey proceeds through the game, and for having something not afforded so many other of Resident Evil’s cast – A TIMELY DEATH.

The first time one enters Alfred’s palace is memorable but not anywhere near as iconic as the entrance into the R.P.D. despite the close up on Allred’s portrait mirroring that entrance into the R.P.D; but the background musical scores attached to the palace hallway & save room which both live with very tough past competitors, are pure Resident Evil and both are of equal measure.

The appearance of Bats are a contextually perfect replacement for the crows of Raccoon City, and are a perfect accompaniment to the sinister foreboding that hangs around this facility – a foreboding that has already been implanted by just the first three files I’ve read. It’s a small feature in the grand scale but the bats in Alfred’s Palace and Residence really work, adding to the odious atmosphere in a way that doesn’t feel wooden & out of context like the over-sized creatures in RE0 including those bats !

Whoever dreamed up & directed the Alexia & Alfred cine style recording is a sick genius. Already there has been much that has happened within the first 20 minutes of CV to shock, scare, intrigue, and provoke further exploration. The lack of detail in these environments is forgiven due to their non-static upgrade from the pre-rendered era, and due to the substitute detail lavished instead by the game-play mechanics, files, characters, and cut-scenes.  

My first disappointment, but it’s a small gripe – the puzzle to free Steve is kindergarten.

The unnecessary peculiarity (rather than a tortured aggression) that envelopes Alfred’s first appearance & our first impressions of his character, jeopardises any gravitas in his stature, and any tension in this exchange with Clare. A first significant disappointment. His reference to an “ EXPERIMENTAL t-Virus” is very interesting and should be further explored.

The use of the submarine to gain access to a submerged level in this facility is a grand touch, like many in this game, and adds to the feeling that there is much to explore & on a much larger scale than in past Biohazard game locations.

Attack on trapped researcher by an as yet unknown monster assailant is beautifully brutal and is one of many little cut-scenes that cranks up the tension and keeps the atmosphere vividly sinister in the face of some typically mundane fetch puzzles.
The Bandersnatch is clearly no Hunter, it lacks the brutally immediate decapitating skill set, and it’s attack is not particularly damaging, but their design is unique and iconic in the series, (lovely pumping mutation & skeletal face) and they’re a worthy second best to the pinnacle of B.O.W. development that the Hunter proudly occupies.

With his over-emotional reactions, and psychoanalysis’s dream outbursts, Steve continues to show further insight into his troubled past and keeps his back story a continuing point of interest. Those little cut-scenes aforementioned that continually add strength & depth to the narrative & gameplay, again play out, this time as a vehicle to explore the true nature of Steve’s dysfunctional family life. The killing of his father, is wonderfully directed, the way he can only react when Clare’s, not his life, is in danger, and is legendary in being the first time (surprisingly late on in the series) that an emotional attachment to a zombie becomes a feature. (A side note - Steve stops shooting, not because his father lies motionless, but due to his ammo running out….the boy still has issues!)

The Anatomist is clearly a Joseph Vengle protégée, but his torture room is of a slightly poor design, too bare, and for CVX oddly lacking in atmosphere. One wonderful feature here is the one viewing chair next to a table furnished with a bottle & glass of wine, not out of place in a living room in front of the telly, but horrifically placed here surrounded by instruments of slow & painful death.

The appearance of a ghost ~ I would love to have experienced this without the afore knowledge of Wesker’s return. Now as legendary & significant & as wonderful as it was, at the heart of the matter is the most important factor that cannot be denied or ignored – it is a f**king ridiculous proposition that he planned to die at the hands of a Tyrant, only to be perfectly rejuvenated with additional super-powers to now return triumphant – I remember at the time of first experiencing this, my feeling of enormous deflation as my beloved series was drained of all its integrity in an irreversible way. Wesker’s return is like the opening cut-scene. It’s glorious and I love it, but it’s fucked the integrity of the game and it really has no place in an intelligent survival horror with confidence in it’s proven formula.

Everything encountered on the other side of this door with the ornate Gold Lugar locking system is a joy, is pure creepy horror, drenches the game-play in a deep sinister atmosphere, and conforms Code Veronca as a legitimate equal to the 3 giants that have come before it. Firstly we get Alfred’s office, with a stark contrast hitting sharply, as the haunting sanctuary music of the save room is quickly replaced by the crashing lighting that illuminates his desk through an oversize glass window, just begging to be smashed through. The scene with the Bandersnatch does not feel stale, but a frightening rise in the stakes, as Bandersnatch replaces Doberman. I quickly dodge this monstrosity and run desperately into the open, lighting now crashing violently around me with an unnerving frequency.

And now for the game’s signature moment, one of many intensely creepy, severely sinister mini-cut scenes that are scattered across the entire Code Veronica game-play, but sitting at the head of those wonderfuly grotesque vinettes, as most sinister of all, the camera pan up to Alfred’s privare residence with all the sounds & sights that accompany it. I purposefully approach the end of the walkway slowly , so as to stand at the point where you first catch sight of the imposing church like building, camera behind Claire’s back, before that cut-scene is triggered…and you just get the continued crash of lighting illuminating Claire’s immediate surroundings, as that odious building looks imposingly and ominously down at me from above whilst still cast in darkness.

As I climb the stone steps it’s triggered and I remember back to the first time I encountered this shocking introduction to what I was approaching, and how genuinely concerned I was that to go onwards was not the best plan. But I force myself on, senses heightened with deep worry, and enter the residence, quikly diding more ineffective Bandersnatche’s… design aside, these are very poor man’s Hunters. The music that hits you on entering is stunning, and would be worthy of a place in any of the world’s most acclaimed horror films. The organ effects go well with the gothic church style and the repeating haunting piano riff takes the melancholy of the save room scores from BIO 1, 2, and 3 and takes the melody to a new level of worrying concern. One of Biohazards most ironically frightening scores.  And these shockingly perturbing features keep hitting, with the image of Alexia’s strung up doll; move towards the left side of the room, and the first sight of it you get is a greyish suspended foot, attached to a equally discoloured leg covered by rags that would not look out of place on Lisa Trevor; bats flutter around the foot like moths attracted to a flame. Ascend the staitrs and this hideous ornament reveals more of itself, cranking up the tension and fright. Ascend the final half landing and the doll’s cold, stern face comes into focus in a quick camera movement that causes even more stressful tension. Is there a more atmospheric location in the entire series ? If so, not many, and none that I can think of post biohazard 4.

Using the lighter in the private residence on the HD upgrade is a joy; watching the silhouettes of the dolls swaying unnervingly across the walls is another Code Veronica moment where the perfect atmosphere to accompany survival horror is wonderfully achieved. BUT why is everything SO dark without it ?!

The Gambling room & bar has a distinct 1920s feel to it and I can imagine Edward hosting black tie drinks parties, and networking amongst the rich & powerful in search of financial sponsors & investors, as he sought to strengthen his influence within Umbrella. Whilst Alexia’s piano roll music plays in the background, walk Claire over to one of the balconies which overlook the Palace hall below and tell me this isn’t an almost close match for the R.P.D.

A cameo from Hunk, and a worryingly familiar cargo shipment; wonderful.

Starting to think there’s too much ammo for a real survival horror challenge, and then I bump into the 2 Bandersnatches I forgot about in the North East conference room.

I love the way the discovery of a transvestite is the last straw for Steve and is the thing that finally pushes him over the edge to shout “That’s it we’re getting out of here” – fascist. Steve is not the only one who has been pushed over the edge – Alfred has just set off the self-destruct as his own split personality self-destructs upon realisation that he’s been playing brothers & sisters by himself.

And now for my favourite Tyrant in the series, and my favourite Tyrant battle – the first part of our encounter is a challengeless affair, easily overcome with my plethora of acid rounds, but round two is only made as easy due to my experience now with this game, and I quickly shoot off 23 explosive Bow Gun Arrows and unscathed I hit that button to trigger the finest way a BOW has ever been dispatched in the series – it’s the survival horror death scene of Alien re-imagined for Code: Veronica.

I have never enjoyed the Antarctica sections – how many fucking times is that moth fuck going to empregnate my fucking back – so excruciatingly annoying....

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

September 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 4 - SEPARATE WAYS - AUTUMN 2004

Here we go again, then, the real deal of Biohazard 4 in my opinion. Leon’s story told us preciously little new for the series, and a couple of nice character appearances of Krauser and Ada couldn’t save the story from mediocrity.

But Ada is here now, telling her side of the story and her scenario single handedly redeem the whole of Biohazard 4 for me, if only she had a couple more chapters! I love playing as Ada, and her chapters are punchy and don’t drag at all, being paced well enough to always keep the pace going. I seem to recall Mikami had nothing to do with Separate Ways, and dare I say, it shows.

Ada, through a series of reports gives us a lot of very important plot points, and straight away we are introduced to… a returning Albert Wesker! Sat within his command centre he established in Umbrella Chronicles (this series playthrough is honestly flowing beautifully) and with all the Umbrella satellites and resources he contacts Ada as she arrives at the village at the same time Leon did.

(It’s an absolute travesty that the Separate Ways cutscenes are still the FMV videos from the PS2 version, as for my money they are some of the best sequences in the game, they look horrendous on a HD TV, the biggest disappointment of the HD release next to the sound).

Ada is tasked with retrieving the plaga sample from Saddler, but in the meantime she has a few minor objectives. The first is to ring the village church bell, and it’s clear straight away how beautifully Separate Ways ties in to Leon’s campaign, as we sometimes see same events from Ada’s perspective. Keen eyed people will even see Leon running around the village chased by Ganado while you scramble looking for the key to the church.

After ringing the church bell, Ada goes about meddling with business, and has to rescue Luis. Battling through hoards of Ganado she also finally runs into the culprit who stole Leon’s jacket. Dispatching him we move on and run into Luis, and it becomes clear that Luis and Ada are working together so Ada can get the sample.

Ada then has to traverse the castle, narrowly missing Leon while Wesker lets him cause a huge distraction for Saddlers followers. We see Luis’ death from Ada’s perspective and the sample ends up back in Saddler's possession.

At the island, Wesker dispatches Krauser to kill Leon, and Ada through whatever reason takes it upon herself to stop the assassination. En route, we discover Saddler’s huge battleship with which he plans to make his war. Ada leaves the ship in absolute ruin (in one of the only newly designed areas for Separate Ways) and carries on to stop Krauser just in time.

Finally, as Mike and Leon are devastating Saddler’s forces. Ada reports to Wesker that Krauser has just been killed by Leon. An increasingly impatient Wesker urges Ada to hurry and retrieve the sample, and for her not to forget who is running the show.

As Ada goes to intercept Saddler, a heavily injured, but still very much alive Krauser attacks Ada, and a brief and rather pointless fight later Krauser finally falls dead and his arm begins to waste away. Ada then helps Leon escape with Ashley, and in a new battle has to fend off Saddler. In doing so, Ada retrieves the sample, but Saddler quickly revives and captures Ada where she ends up hung from a rope before Leon. Leon frees Ada and engages in one final fight with Saddler.

This time however, we have to guide Ada to the rocket launcher and throw it down to Leon. As Leon destroys Saddler, she gets the sample from Leon and escapes in a helicopter.

She reveals in her final report that the sample she will be sending to Wesker is nothing but a subordinate plaga and not the main control plaga, and that unknown to the 'organisation' Wesker has been in contact with a new pharmaceutical company, and she wonders where he’ll end up next. Where I wonder…. S… Seashell…. Tricell…..

(Did I mention how much I love how the series storyline is flowing?)

-----

So Biohazard 4 is all done and dusted now, and thank god for Separate Ways. With it, the game becomes truly relevant to canon, and it appears that Ada is holding many of the keys of the franchise now. In one sweep, much of the power has been taken from Wesker, and it’ll be interesting to see how he reacts to the betrayal of Ada.

Ada’s organisation seem to be a major power player, still working very much behind the scenes. We naturally assume this is still the same organisation that she and Wesker worked for back in 1998 during Deaths Door. (I don’t believe there’s been any major developments within The 3rd Organisation for a while now to debunk this?)

With Separate Ways there’s big set ups for Wesker, but it’ll be a couple of years before he surfaces again…

In the meantime… there’s increasing reports of large fleshy creatures being washed up on the shore near where Terragrigia was destroyed…. What Revelations will surface there?

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 02:49:42

NUMBER OF SAVES: 5

NUMBER OF DEATHS: 3

October 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS - FIRST HALF 2005

So less than a year after Leon’s Las Plagas incident. It seems that in the wake of Umbrella, a wave of bio-terrorism is beginning to be a major problem with the world.

We catch up again with Jill Valentine, now working for an organisation called the BSAA. They have arrived on a cruise liner called the Queen Zenobia, and are apparently looking for a lost Chris Redfield (not again!).

We are paired up with a chap called Parker, as we start scouring through the darkness ridden ship, being thrown so quickly into the game with little set up we don’t really know what’s going on. Straight away we get to see something moving, and before long we are fighting our first monster, the bizarre ‘Ooze’. Though similar to zombies in movement, appearance wise they are incredible fleshy and icky, and bullets don’t cause them to react much meaning they are more of a threat than a standard zombie. The HD version really brings the detail home and shows some of the unique attributes in ways that the 3DS couldn’t.

What follows is an honestly convoluted and not-exactly-easy-to-follow plotline. If anyone wants to brought up to speed quickly, check out Batman's explanation during the Revelations HD podcast. Needless the stay the narrative jumps all over the place and not always coherently. Essentially in 2004 a terrorist group called Veltro unleashed a virus called the T-Abyss onto a town called Terragrigia. They did this with the help of a Morgan Lansdale, the head of the FBC, an anti-bioterrorism company and a direct rival to Chris and Jill’s BSAA organisation. Terragrigia is ultimately destroyed by it’s own solar power satellite-laser thing as a reaction to the atrocity.

A year later, Veltro seemingly reappear and through a series of twists and turns, the BSAA uncover the truth about Lansdale. BSAA member and ex-FBC operative Jessica is proved to be a mole within the BSAA. Chris is found, and he and Jill destroy the virus at the same time uncovering the mystery of the Zenobia and Terragrigia.

I’m honestly too tired as I type this to give the games story a huge write up, instead just refer to Batman’s synopsis that I referred to earlier.

-------

In all honesty, I like Revelations, but I find it’s story pretty un-impactful to be honest. So many characters and the aforementioned story being told so disjointedly means it’s not a great ride to replay again and again, and I do truly enjoy less and less each time I play it. It’s got some great atmosphere and some good moments, but I think it’s thought of so well simply because it more in line with what people want from the series, than say 6 is.

I’m a bit disappointed that I’ve not got more to say about the game really, despite enjoying it (and I really do I) I can never seem to conjure much enthusiasm about it. I also think that unless the game gets a direct sequel and follows up Raymond and Jessica then there is precious little reason for this game to exist. Balls in your court Capcom.

When playing, I couldn’t get the idea out of my head that we had during the HD podcast, where we described how good the game could have been had they used Stratcom as the rival to the BSAA. Had Bruce and Fong Ling in the Raymond and Jessica role, and had Parker as Barry. Oh, how amazing that could have been. A true spiritual sequel to Dead Aim.

------

But what have we a learned? We now know that Chris and Jill work for the BSAA, and thanks to Jessica’s Report we also know that they are indeed founding members.

The FBC, as a result of the game have been dissolved into the BSAA.

We know that Jessica has filed a report to a woman named Excella. I wonder if she’ll turn out to be an important character in years to come?

In the ending Raymond and Jessica have the last remaining sample of the T-Abyss, leaving the door wide open for a follow up.

And finally, Chris and Jill are briefly seen approaching a large building which looks suspiciously like the Spencer mansion?! A text card reads that they have no idea what nightmares await them. This is a very exciting moment to end the game on, and I can’t wait for it to be followed up.

-------

So where do we go next? I’m hearing that a group called Terrasave are currently in heated debate with a large pharmaceutical company Will-Pharma. Will-Pharma have allegedly created a vaccine for the T-Virus that can be mass produced…

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 4:40:42

NUMBER OF DEATHS: 6

October 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT
BIOHAZARD DEGENERATION - NOVEMBER 14TH 2005 Just over a year chronologically since we last saw Leon, we find ourselves at Harvardville airport in the first of the two official Biohazard movies. A series of news reports help us catch up to events, showing the destruction of Raccoon all over again, to various news reports of bioterror attacks, including one recently in India. A company called Wilpharma has apparently been experimenting on human test subjects in an attempt to find a cure for the t-virus. So straight away we see a familiar face emerge into the arrivals lounge… It’s none other than the lovely Claire Redfield returning to the series after a reasonable hiatus. She is now working for a company called Terrasave which help the victims of bioterror attacks. At the airport is Senator Ron Davis, who we quickly learn to be one of the very people who decided to authorise the missile strike on Raccoon. He has large shares in Wilpharma and being as they have just opened a brand new test facility in Harvardville, people are worried that another Raccoon incident may occur. As a result of this, a huge public protest is taking place with many people wearing zombie masks and wielding protest signs. As Davis tries to sneak out through the front door of the airport with an armed guard at his side, a protester dressed a zombie approaches, but Claire quickly moves him on. At that very moment, an actual zombie attack befalls the airport, and simultaneously a huge airliner crashes into the terminal. Recovering from the wreckage, Claire gets up and looks for the young girl she was with, and realises that she is trapped in the airport with the Senator and a couple of other survivors, as Claire recognises all too well what is happening, zombies surround them at all sides. Outside, a Special Response Team are told they are to work with the President’s advisor, who turns out to be Leon S. Kennedy looking not unlike we last saw him Biohazard 4, jacket and all. He works with Angela Miller and Greg Glenn, leading members of the SRT team. Moving in Leon is quickly re-united with Claire and the survivors, and they escape the airport, at the expense of Greg however, who is bitten and transforms. Outside, Wilpharma trucks arrive, and a chap that Claire met inside the airport is revealed to be a Frederic Downing, the head of Wilpharma. He reveals that had Terrasave not backed Wilpharma into a corner, then a large quantity of vaccine could have been created and many of the victims at the airport could have been saved. Claire regrets what Terrasave have done, but Leon reassures her that the real villains are the people who created the virus. He mentions how the path he and her brother chose were not for her, and that by rescuing and helping people she was right to go down the path she ultimately did. It then transpires that Angela’s older brother Curtis, who lives nearby may have been responsible for the airport biohazard, and both she and Leon go off to his house. Claire meanwhile, goes with Frederic to the new Wilpharma facility. Whilst there, she learns that Wilpharma house one of the only remaining samples of the G-Virus. Frederic swiftly leaves and Curtis is spotted just as the facility explodes. At this time Angela and Leon find Curtis’ house well ablaze, and after a panicked phone call from Claire shortly before the explosion, head off to the Wilpharma facility. They are all too late however. Although injured Claire is alive, and Angela and Leon arrive just in time to witness Curtis inject himself with the G-Virus. It’s William Birkin all over again, as Army Rangers arrive and are all decimated by the G. During the Rangers evisceration, Leon finds Claire and gets her off to safety, but she uses the elevator and heads to the control room, and begins a procedure that will gradually bring down the facility sequentially. Leon and Angela battle the G-Curtis, who molts and changes further after Leon drops a large part of the facility down ontop of him. An extended fight happens, and as the facility begins to the descend into the 2000 ft drop below, Leon and Angela manage to narrow escape death as Curtis falls into the pit as fire rushes up. The blast doors close just in time to not engulf Leon and Angela. In the control room Claire realises that the cameras have been recording, and they then learn the truth behind Wilpharma. It appears Frederic was an ex-Umbrella scientist, and shortly before the destruction of Raccoon fled the business with a sample of both the T and G virus. Years later he established Wilpharma, and by deliberately orchestrating biohazards, including the one in India, the virus’ destructive nature could be used as a ‘sales pitch’. A General Grandé was to be Frederic’s buyer of the virus’. But Leon, Angela and Claire manage to apprehend him before he can make the deal. In the aftermath, Angela remains in Harvardville and Leon and Claire leave and carry on their lives, wherever that may take them… Senator Ron Davis is shown to be dead, and a company called Tricell are to buy Wilpharma... But deep in the pit of the ruins of the Wilpharma facility. A Tricell containment team all wearing Hazmat suits, scour the remains and discover a remaining piece of Curtis, and place it into a case… ------ I really like Degeneration. I love the subtle references such as Leon mentioning Chris indirectly, and I find the two main action sequences, (the airport and the final G-battle) to be extremely effective and a loving translation of the game onto screen. This is how you do it Anderson. It’s not perfect though thanks to a couple of actually awful characters. Greg and Senator Davis are just so cliched it’s actually painful to watch them. Davis in particular just being an awful character, who literally ticks every single box on the slimy politician bingo card. His presence in the film, though important, and foreshadows a similar plot line in Biohazard 6, actually single handed drags the film down a notch. Thankfully Leon and Claire are well realised, and this no-nonsense Leon is far more preferred to me to the wise cracking Leon of Biohazard 4. I love the direction they chose to take Claire, and her being in Terrasave is a cracking decision and a realistic step forward for the character. Thanks to the film, we know that ex-members of Umbrella are a potential reason the T-virus is finding its way into these incidents, and that despite the folding of Umbrella, their legacy continues, a legacy Leon has vowed to end. Tricell have arrived on the scene, and have now set the stage as a major player. We recognise the logo from the report Jessica submitted to an Excella…. Does Excella work for Tricell? Time will tell. Before we can find out though… We must now discover what the horror that Chris and Jill are unaware of. It’s almost time to finally learn of Spencer, and of the real history behind the Progenitor virus. But first it’s time to experience one of the single greatest chapters in Biohazard history. It’s time to become Lost In Nightmares.
October 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 5 - LOST IN NIGHTMARES - AUGUST 1ST 2006

We find ourselves back into the shoes of Chris and Jill, which doesn’t feel all that long ago thanks to Revelations being the immediate game before this event.

It’s revealed that the small footage shown in the ending of Revelations is indeed from the introduction of Lost In Nightmares. Chris narrates that the BSAA have been provided intel on the whereabouts of the infamous Ozwell E. Spencer, and they have gone to the location to apprehend him and hopefully be led closer to Wesker. After all these years, it seems we might meet Spencer after, as the storyline fires straight back into the core.

And christ how good does it all feel. I use the hidden fixed camera mode trick straight away and just let the atmosphere totally absorb me. Lost in Nightmares is absolutely *incredible*. It’s not only stunning to look at, amazing to listen to, but it also has wonderful easter eggs and references to the original game without being over the top or obvious. I had decided to play on Veteran, and my experiences with Veteran in Lost In Nightmares was limited. I knew the Blobs could attack you in the first section unlike normal mode, but I couldn’t remember when or where.

I had the surround sound cranked up to the max, and played in the dark, and it’s honestly the most tense I was through the entire series playthrough so far. The surround mix in this chapter is nothing short of stunning, with the occasional dog howling or footsteps from unseen floors above, to what sounds like the occasional door slamming. I was on the edge of my seat, not sure whether the footsteps were of a Blob getting ever closer to killing me. I absolutely loved it, and was unnerved throughout.

As I explored the beautiful mansion, Chris and Jill briefly reminisce about Raccoon City. To them so much has changed and yet here we are yet again skulking around a Spencer Estate. Though much looks the same, it’s all subtly different. We start to collect files, and gradually Spencer ultimate motive finally become brought to light. Apparently he wants to cheat the ‘disease’ of death, which has reduced Spencer to being wheelchair bound and drip fed. All the efforts into the virus’ ultimate goal was to be essentially achieving immortality and become a ‘God’. Helping him in his research is a man simply referred to as ‘Alex’. No surname is given but Spencer describes him as the greatest of his children. Apparently Alex has been sent to a island laboratory to work on the virus which will grant immortality.

Spencer however is misled, and upon the success of the virus, Alex disappears with all the research. Spencer is absolutely infuriated, comparing the betrayal to Alberts. Nice reference. I get attacked by a Blob whilst rescuing Jill from a ceiling trap and with one hammer swing I’m reduced to danger and ultimately death. This is harder than I remembered it. Eventually I rescued Jill and we escaped into the jails below the estate.

Beneath are various torture chambers and jail cells full of test subjects. Subjects Spencer’s own butler Patrick had been helping with viral testing on. It’s here Blobs attack fairly often, and ammo being extremely reserved and still making mistakes, Jill is ultimately killed twice as Veteran mode gives you hardly anytime to get to your partner and free them.

The sense of failure being so easy causes me to become very cautious but I realise ammo is getting tighter than I thought and I have to put the scenery between myself and the Blobs, and it all feels like classic Biohazard all over again. As we descend further and further, we lose the weapons collected and have to use a variety of ceiling traps to kill the Blobs, retrieve some medals and escape the hellish dungeons below, but not before Blob’s kill me twice more. As we emerge back to the surface, we collect a couple of Beretta’s and come up to a large double door.

Chris and Jill burst in, and find Wesker standing above the dead body of a man…. Spencer? Surely not. All those years of searching and he can’t be dead before we meet him? Wesker immediately attacks and a brief but reasonably fun boss fight ensues. As it finishes, it feels like the battle begins again, but we are a spectator now.

Chris and Jill fire their guns repeatedly, but Wesker now seems quicker than ever dodging all the bullets gracefully. The fight is brief and brutal, with Wesker seemingly now wasting no time to gloat like he used to, he seems to mean business today.

Chris is dragged across a table hard and thrown. Wesker goes up to him and I’m wondering what’s going to happen. He lifts Chris up by one hand, and as he’s stood by a large window he says to Chris ‘Let’s finish this.’. At that very moment, Jill cries ‘no!’, and in a series defining moment, throws herself into Wesker and takes them both out of the window. Jill and Wesker plummet into the darkness below, and Chris is left shouting to Jill from the window as he looks in horror below. The scene fades to white. And I’m given the end of chapter screen.

Christ…. Talk about sudden. In one scene the entire Biohazard universe is tipped upside down. Where does the series go from here? Are Wesker and Jill dead? Has Wesker been defeated, but with the greatest price paid in the most unexpected way? Jill! She can’t be dead surely! It’s going to be another two years for Chris, until he gets to find out the truth of what happened at that Estate…. It’s time to go to Africa.

---------

Make no mistake. Lost In Nightmares is incredible. I know I’ve said it countless time, but i’ll repeat it again, but playing it now in this order makes me realise how Capcom really should done a Dead Rising 2 Case Zero thing and released Lost In Nightmares before Biohazard 5 came out. Not only would it have been a shocker seeing Jill sacrifice herself to take out Wesker, but the fanbase would have been stunned wondering what will happen, and we would have had chance to miss Jill for a little bit, making the shot of her gravestone at the beginning of Biohazard 5 all the more impactful. It was a real missed opportunity, but now, with a chronological playthrough, we can understand a little how effective it could have been.

We learn so much, in classic Biohazard style from the files in this chapter. Spencer’s plan is finally revealed, and it’s amazing that such a character with extravagant backstory as he had, is reduced to a frail old man seeking a way to cheat death. His files scream of desperation in a way we have never been privy to before, and we also finally get to see him as portraits of the famous man litter the corridors of his estate. This Alex character feels like he’s going to be a major player in the series, I wonder if Biohazard 5 will shed any light on him.

The files also have great little stories in there such as Patrick being offered a drink from Edward Ashford when he was younger. Real, genuine backstory suddenly making the series feel amazing again. There’s even a brief reference to Ada in there.

No mention of Tricell yet, so it seems we must wait a little longer before any developments in that regard occur. To those of you not playing the series playthrough, at least take some time this week and revisit Lost In Nightmares again. Its single only fault is that it really didn’t need a playable Wesker boss fight, as the cutscene that follows is good enough. The whole chapter however, is a reminder that Biohazard still has it. It’s scandalous so many people didn’t bother with this and it’s lost as a DLC chapter. It’s without doubt one of Biohazard’s greatest ever moments. I genuinely mean that.

TOTAL PLAY TIME: 1:05:42

GAME MODE: Veteran

NUMBER OF DEATHS: 5

October 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 5 - MARCH 5TH 2009

Because Biohazard 5 is a large, expansive game with a lot of story and progression in small boosts, I’m literally going to be putting up the chapters as I complete them as opposed to playing the game all the way and posting a huge block of text.

CHAPTER 1-1

So it’s been two years since Jill’s sacrifice to save Chris, and we now find Chris in Africa. An opening monologue describes a brief history of the BSAA, but also that Chris is starting to doubt whether all this fighting is worth it, as casualties have continued to rise. Clearly the loss of Jill is playing on his mind quite a lot.

It’s even more apparent as we quickly meet Sheva Alomar, Chris’ African partner for the duration of this mission. After Sheva has introduced herself and walks off, Chris is paused in thought and a flash to the gravestone of our hero Jill Valentine is shown. So she’s really dead?

Chris is in town to intercept a deal being orchestrated by a chap named Irving. The BSAA at this time has already deployed Alpha team to the deal coordinates and Chris and Sheva are to rendezvous with Alpha there. Shortly before however, we are shown a woman wearing a creepy bird mask, and she infects a local with a strange virus. Huge worms appear to consume the man.

As Chris and Sheva work their way through town they meet up with a contact called Renard, who gives the two their gear, and they finally make their way to the deal after Renard has warned them both about something called Uroborus.

As soon as Chris and Sheva arrive in the town square, Renard has already been apprehended by the mob, and they swiftly behead him. The agitator of the crowd spots Chris and Sheva, and all hell breaks loose as the town quickly attack them.

I was playing on Veteran, but I’ve always been pretty good at Biohazard 5, I think it’s something about how the melee system works is just so intuitive, so it’s very easy to pick up and fight the Majini, whilst still conserving a lot of ammo. As many of the mob fall dead, BSAA helicopter pilot Kirk (from Revelations! Awesome!) backs them up and disperses the mob with a handy rocket.

PLAY TIME: 14:17

CHAPTER 1-2

Chris and Sheva move on, the deal is due to happen anytime now and Kirk goes on ahead. But as Chris and Sheva make their way, the Captain of Alpha, Dan DeChant shouts over the radio that they are being attacked. Chris and Sheva speedily arrive at the deal point, but it’s too late, Alpha has been completely wiped out. As they try and call in with some data acquired from DeChant, they are attacked by the worms that we saw in the intro. It’s now a huge creature that chases them into a furnace area.

Using the furnace the creature is destroyed and Chris and Sheva make their way through the temporary command centre. Despite the veteran difficulty, it’s all going rather well, not even getting hit by the first Uroboros creature.

Chris checks in with HQ, and mentions how the people here acting like the Ganado’s from the ‘Kennedy Report’. Love the reference!

PLAY TIME: 19:25

CHAPTER 2-1

In this Chapter, Chris and Sheva are to follow Irving across town and through a nearby mine. However, Kirk is attacked by flying BOW’s and the helicopter is brought down. As Chris and Sheva have to separate at one point to continue, it’s here Sheva brought the play through to some shame as she died a total of 3 times. I fluffed up a couple of sniping shots the first time and the Majini just swarmed her. The second time she was just utterly useless and ran headfirst into a group of them, and then after we had met up again, she was decapitated by the chainsaw Majini. Poor performance indeed!

As we get to the crash site, poor Kirk has been burnt to a cinder, and Chris and Sheva are attacked by a large group of motorbike riding Majini, but thankfully BSAA Delta Team arrive and dispatch the attackers.

Delta team leader Josh Stone introduces himself, and informs them further about Irving, and gives Chris a data stick with some information on. As Chris puts it into his PDA, he is shocked to find an image of Jill, seemingly sleeping, and a strange blonde colouring to her hair… Chris has a flashback to Lost In Nightmares, and seems visibly shaken.

PLAY TIME: 24:01

DEATHS: 3

----

So already, it appears Jill might not be as dead as we all thought. Some new major players have been revealed in Irving, and who is the bird mask woman? Josh seems like a nice guy, but is there perhaps more than meets the eye there? Shame about Kirk too :(

I love Biohazard 5, and although there is nothing that even remotely resembles a creepy atmosphere, the setting is still good enough and the game plays well enough to carry it in these early chapters. The story offers enough to keep interest piqued too. Brilliant.

The game is also surely still one of the greatest looking games of the generation. The cutscenes in the particular are still reference quality this gen. The game looks as close to perfect as a game can this gen IMO.

October 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 5 - MARCH 5TH/6TH 2009

CHAPTER 2-2

Chris and Sheva head out to the mines in pursuit of Irving. A brief battle against some Majini and some hounds are the only thing stunting the progress but they are soon dispatched.

As we enter the mine in complete pitch darkness, I opt for the AI controlled Sheva to wield the handheld torch in one of the games better, but painfully brief sections. On the other side of the mine, which I miraculously escape with no damage, we emerge into a large quarry. There Chris and Sheva run into Irving for the first time, before they can get anything out of him, he is rescued by the bird lady and they both get away. Chris and Sheva give chase but are stopped when a truck arrives unleashing the Popokarimu, a huge bat like monster.

I come painfully close to dying at one point, but mercifully Sheva heals me, and using a couple of well placed proximity mines, am able to defeat the monster.

PLAY TIME: 22:59 MODE: Veteran DEATHS: 0 RANK: S

CHAPTER 2-3

A BSAA driver named Doug arrives in a truck and is to drive Chris and Sheva across the savanna back to meet up with Delta team.

The Majini arrive on motorbikes and attack, but Chris and Sheva use the mounted guns and repel them. En route however, Delta team is attacked and shout for help. It’s too late by the time Chris, Sheva and Doug arrive as all of Delta have been complete decimated.

It’s not long before we see who is responsible, Ndesu, a successor to Biohazard 4’s El Giganté is in town. Chris and Sheva jump back into the jeep and in the games probably worse moment, have an awful boss battle.

I usually die at least once on higher difficulties during this fight, and this fight is easily the hardest part of a Professional run. Mercifully today however, I do it first time. It collapses dead.

With Delta team destroyed, Sheva says to Chris they should get the hell out of there, but Chris reveals he has a personal reason for being there, and that through some intel he is aware Jill could still be alive… Sheva agrees to help him, and they board a boat.

PLAY TIME: 7:43

MODE: Veteran

CHAPTER 3-1

The scene changes to on a river, and we are now into the next day. Sheva asks Chris what happened to Jill, and we are shown the Wesker Vs. Chris and Jill fight at the Spencer Estate again. Chris elaborates a little more here though and reveals that Jill’s body was never found. Interesting! When asked why she joined the BSAA, Sheva reveals her parents were killed by an accident at an Umbrella facility with BOW’s created for the purposes of terrorism.

In what is the most open level of the game, I quickly blast around the lake assembling the pieces for the emblem door, and retrieve a rocket launcher from a shipwrecked boat stood in the water.

As I enter, and go into the village I realise I am painfully low on ammo and as the two huge villagers come to attack, I completely screw up dodging a lunging attack and am put on danger straight away. Sheva revives me, and I waste no time readying the rocket launcher. Unfortunately I screwed up the timing and only take out one of the two huge villagers, so the other is taken out with some patient shooting and again, using the geography to create spaces. Chris and Sheva eventually board a cable car lift, and go further into the village.

PLAY TIME: 24:25

CHAPTER 3-2

We arrive at a small enclosed lake, and after fending off a good sized amount of Majini, go even further into the area and come up to a small area with tents. The tents house the Tricell logo, and Chris mentions how they help fund the BSAA. Interesting, however a file within a Tricell tent reveals that various experiments have been undertaken and that Las Plagas parasite from Biohazard 4 is now on a Type 3, but there are still issues with it before it can be perfected.

Beyond the tents in the oil refinery where they expect to find Irving, and upon entering see him further into the facility. Crossbow snipers, chainsaw wielding assailants attempt to block the way, but I manage to fight through, although ammo was not comfortable at all throughout, with only having a large amount of pistol ammo and not much of anything else. Sheva at one point gave me yet another death, as she just idiotically stood there and took a chainsaw blade to the neck.

We enter the facility and quickly run into Josh, who is still very much alive, although showing signs that he has been in a struggle or two. He doesn’t shed over much light on how he ended up being in the facility, giving us reason to question yet again whether he’s truly on our side or not. As waves upon waves of Majini enter the building, Josh proves himself a little by helping Sheva and Chris escape.

Outside Chris and Sheva make for Irving who has no boarded a boat, while Josh procures transportation to give chase. Sheva spies the bird woman leaping from Irving’s boat and she blasts away in a speed boat.

Irving mentions that Chris and Sheva are just in time for the fireworks show (boom!), and they quickly run to Josh who has arranged another boat. Chris and Sheva jump on as the refinery explodes behind them…

PLAY TIME: 24:24

------

So Chris believes Jill is firmly alive, and the image that Josh provided seems to back that up some what. Where does that leave Wesker though, is he still alive?

Josh seems to act a little fishy when Chris and Sheva meet him in the refinery, I’m not sure we should trust him yet.

Tricell make a swift return to the series after their subtle introduction in Degeneration (and also the brief glimpse in Jessica’s Report). Despite Chris saying they fund the BSAA, they seem to be the ones working on the new type Plaga’s, as well as owning the oil refinery.

A file in the village describes how injects were given to the villagers, and that many women and children die as a result. It’s like the village from Biohazard 4 all over again.

We seem to be on track to capturing Irving, but what will reveal? Despite the initial promise of great things in Lost In Nightmares, Biohazard 5 has currently had precious little to do with the series...

October 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

BIOHAZARD 5 - MARCH 6TH/7TH 2009

CHAPTER 3 - 3

With Josh driving the boat, Chris and Sheva chase after Irving. I died straight away from a painfully accurate crossbow bolt, as I started the level with no health and Sheva for some reason just didn’t get to me in time. When I tried again we have to get the boat through two checkpoints as we travel down the river. I quite like this level, it offers a slightly different pace to the other Chapter 3 levels, and is a nice idea having to get off to clear the checkpoints. But other than that, there’s not really much to tell.

After getting through the second checkpoint we arrive at Irving’s boat. A flashback has the bird lady confronting him and giving him an injector to use. Irving says to Chris and Sheva that they are making him look bad, and promptly injects himself. In what is one of the games more ridiculous moments he becomes an utterly enormous sea creature, with a deforming version of himself in the middle. It always reminded me a little of Salazar’s mutation, albeit on sea and not fixed to a wall.

Using the mounted turrets on the boat, the battle was painfully easy and he fell very quickly. In his dying words, Irving mentions that the answers Chris seeks are to be found in a nearby cave, he also name drops ‘Excella’. As Irving dies, Chris and Sheva make their way there.

PLAY TIME: 12:19

CHAPTER 4 - 1

Josh takes Chris and Sheva into the cave and drops them off, saying he will go back and try to get reinforcements. Chris and Sheva muse about Excella. Sheva mentions she works for Tricell’s Africa division. So this Excella that Jessica filed her report to is going to be followed up after all. Interesting.

Chapter 4 is interesting. Gameplay (and story wise) the game ends up in a bit of a rut, but there’s a couple of very basic puzzles and the pace is quite a bit different. It looks great as well but perhaps goes on a bit too long to be honest, and none of the sections whether it’s dodging huge balls of fire, or running from a collapsing corridor Indiana Jones stylé offer any kind of real interest. During one section where Chris and Sheva are separated by a small collapsing bridge, I died by basically just trying to run through the hordes of Majini and failed miserably. Other than that, the chapter went hitch free, and I descended deeper into the caves.

All of a sudden, as the chapter finishes, Capcom remembered they have a story to tell, and we are introduced to Wesker at last. He is being injected with something in the arm by Excella, but they don’t discuss which. Excella says how she had her doubts about Las Plagas, but offers her services to Wesker. The bird woman enters and says that Chris has arrived, but it doesn’t seem to phase Wesker too much. As Excella and the bird lady leave, Wesker has a flashback to…. Spencer! Finally making his proper on screen debut. We hear him utter the word ‘Progenitor’ and then he appears to fall dead. As Wesker comes around, he mentions that he should ‘thank Spencer’ and we are shown a huge container of Uroboros. Finally we might be getting some huge answers.

PLAY TIME: 26:53

CHAPTER 4 - 2

Chapter 4 offers for one of the only times in the game, the closest thing to a ‘hub’, where you collect 3 emblems to continue. Unfortunately the actual layout of the area is so linear that you can’t go wrong at all or get lost, and instead the game fumbles the opportunity a little by throwing in a silly mechanic of sunlight focused laser beams to stunt your progress.

I assembled the three emblems quickly, and entered a chamber that descends three times. It’s perhaps the games only real puzzle, but even then it only involves moving a couple of rotatable mirrors to guide a light into the correct location. This Chapter is short, and feels a little unfinished in all honesty, merely slowing up the game ready for the big reveal…

As Chris and Sheva arrive at the lowest floor, they happen across a large underground garden, with some sinister looking flowers growing well. Chris muses that they are no ordinary flowers, and spots a box with of all things, the Umbrella logo on. He also notes that Tricell have been here, and wonders aloud whether they have been working together.

PLAY TIME: 16:59

CHAPTER 5 - 1

All of a sudden, the game moves up a gear. We enter this strange underground facility and the first thing I find is a file… It’s a file written by Brandon Bailey, and in it contains many fruits of knowledge. Back in 1966, Spencer knew of a flower called the ‘Stairway to the Sun’, and within this flower he and James Marcus (remember him!) discovered the Progenitor Virus. Holy shit, this is literally where it all began. This underground garden and the discovery made there some 43 years prior is the result of everything that has happened… Raccoon, Terragrigia, all of it.

More and more files explain how Spencer started up Umbrella, when the T-Virus was created, and new filed written by a Miguel from Tricell mention how they have gradually acquired all the virus’ and that all they needed was Progenitor, which they now have. In the space of 5 minutes we’ve had more history and answers, than the entire of the last few games.

All this of course whilst exploring a gloomy dark lab, which house the returning Lickers in a couple of absolutely amazing set pieces. Unfortunately the AI controlling Sheva couldn’t grasp what we needed to do while we waited for the lift as the Licker’s start to close in on you, and despite having a fully loaded sniper rifle, decided to fight the Lickers at close range. She died twice before I mined the route with proximity mines, and kept her firmly set to Cover mode.

I know many of you don’t like Biohazard 5, but anyone can say Chapter 5 - 1 isn’t quintessential Biohazard I don’t know. The atmosphere is good, but the Lickers and the absolutely amazing files and story make this a wonderful throwback to times long past. Immediately I feel the hurts of Biohazard 4 healing.

After fending off the Lickers, Sheva and Chris emerge in a huge, huge chapter full of capsules housing people. Chris puts a search on a nearby computer for Jill, and the lift starts to descend… Has he found her?

The lift is stopped by the arrival of a huge crab like monster called the U-8, and although the fight is ridiculous in concept, the actual fight itself is well worked out and fun. However, I completely screwed up a QTE moment and he grabbed me in a pincer and crushed me. Killing it the second time, however causes it to fall dead into the depths below.

Chris and Sheva look on in expectation as the lift arrives at the required floor. A capsule extends from the wall and opens… Revealing nothing but an empty capsule. Excella appears on a monitor behind them, and a frustrated Chris asks where Jill is. Excella essentially gives them one chance to leave, as there is nothing worth throwing their lives away for…

PLAY TIME: 22:48

-----

So there we go, it took some time getting going, but Biohazard 5 is now firmly in the fast lane, and the answers and confrontations are going to come thick and fast. Chapter 5 - 1 is absolutely amazing. I adore the files, I really do. I was dumbfounded the first time I played this when it came out, when it referred back to such old times, mentioned Marcus and the history of Progentor. Post Biohazard 4, I don't really think anyone thought we'd get such answers like these, and I'm so happy we did. But where is Jill?

October 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

George Trevor at September 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM

(I'm going to put all these superb commentaries in order upon completion of Biohazard 6)

BIOHAZARD: CODE: VERONICA

Rockfort Island - DECEMBER 27TH 1998

Part 1

The first thing I would like to mention is THANK YOU Capcom - not something I often shout since 2005, but what a hugely unexpected treat to replay this instalment on a current generation console in HD. Was this any more likely back when CV was released on a Sega Dreamcast, than a Survivor remake ? I don't think so, and it's presence on XBOX LIVE is a f**king joy.

OK, on to the gameplay, and of course TheBatman is absolutely right about the opening cut-scene, but, and even, for someone who takes Resident Evil far too seriously and proud of that, I just can't help but enjoy it immensely. I can go with Clare having both natural athletic skills and sibling taught combat skills, and a dose of luck to do what she does in this spectacular chase, right up to the gravity defying gun trick.... and her past Raccoon City encounters would have definitely honed those skills and hardened her in exactly the same way seen in The Walking Dead with Angela's journey as a character. But the intellectual merits of taking out 1 pesky kid whilst destroying most of the Paris branch are questionable and is far too fantastical an opening particularly when compared to those that introduced BIO1,2,3 and Survivor. However I think this is nothing compared to the significant destruction done to survival horror, not by a few seconds in a mere minute long opening cut scene, but by an entire f**king game, in Biohazard 5 which as far as I am concerned, for that reason, has 1000th of the integrity that this ridiculous cut-scene action has; I’d take CVX with such faults over that call of duty, mindless, repetitious garbage any day.

The zombies ridsing from their own graves, rejuvenated by a strain of the t-virus that has now leaked across this island facility, is a very welcome return of a nightmare first seen in BIO3. But there is a difference, one that runs through this whole game, and in some way goes to explain & justify the opening cut-scene. These zombies have a noticeable and deadly turn of speed, an extension upon their restrictive movements in the pre CVX era. What I believe Capcom were trying to do, in a small way here, and with greater perspective in other areas of the game, is to broaden out the narrative, scenario, context, and universal appeal of their survival horror franchise. So we go from isolated mansion in BIO1, to average size mid-west City IN BIO2&3 to small Island location in Survivor, and now on to two separate large-scale facilities, spanning 2 different continents. The opening cut-scene was conceived with that in mind, and this ambitious extension pervades much in CVX, to include the developed quickened movements of the zombies.

The first file I read, The Prisoner’s Diary is pure Resident Evil file reading, and it I will never tire of learning in the desperate dairy entries of a man whose terrible fate is hinted at in increasingly heavier suggestion with each page, of the building where those taken never come back.

It is a legal requirement that something sinister should burst through an unsecure looking glass window at the start of a Biohazard main title game, and CVX fulfils that very satisfying obligation which has me running straight into the arms of an unseen zombie that has just reanimated on the other side of the wall I just ran around to find sanctuary to load up my pistol. It’s the little things like that – place a zombie around the corner the player will clearly run to, so as to f**k them – wonderful.

With both zombies dispatched with my pistol I am free to pick up some beefed up fire-power, worryingly early in the game for such an upgrade…. What awaits so soon ….?!! And I am free to look around the desperate last home of the author of that depressing diary I just read. Looks like the meagre habitat of WW2 concentration camp victims.

More strategically placed zombies right next to opening doors, and there is the same intensity to dodge immediate danger as there was when first encountering the walking dead of Raccoon City. There is an abundance of zombies, many strategically placed, and they show a turn of pace not yet seen in Biohazard – wonderful.

Any inter-personal relationships between B.O.W.s and/or secondary infectants with other B.O.W.s and/or secondary infectants works wonderfully well for me, so infected Dobermans feasting upon t-virus infected zombies is a pleasure to experience here, so early on in my tour of Rockfort.

And then it happens again “PLEASE DEPOSIT ANY METALIC ITEMS YOU HAVE IN THE SECURITY BOX”. One word – C*NT.

Steve Burnside – O.K. first things first – don’t judge a character by the voice actor he’s lumbered with, who seems to have read the whole script with a crank up his arse. Steve is no Billy Coen – he has a back story that fits perfectly in the Resident Evil universe, and thus reasonably justifies his cantankerous attitude, and lends the character more integrity & interest. As a CHARACTER, without the hammy, screeching fool that voices him, I love Steve, for having a depressing back-story, a maturing attitude that grows as his journey proceeds through the game, and for having something not afforded so many other of Resident Evil’s cast – A TIMELY DEATH.

The first time one enters Alfred’s palace is memorable but not anywhere near as iconic as the entrance into the R.P.D. despite the close up on Allred’s portrait mirroring that entrance into the R.P.D; but the background musical scores attached to the palace hallway & save room which both live with very tough past competitors, are pure Resident Evil and both are of equal measure.

The appearance of Bats are a contextually perfect replacement for the crows of Raccoon City, and are a perfect accompaniment to the sinister foreboding that hangs around this facility – a foreboding that has already been implanted by just the first three files I’ve read. It’s a small feature in the grand scale but the bats in Alfred’s Palace and Residence really work, adding to the odious atmosphere in a way that doesn’t feel wooden & out of context like the over-sized creatures in RE0 including those bats !

Whoever dreamed up & directed the Alexia & Alfred cine style recording is a sick genius. Already there has been much that has happened within the first 20 minutes of CV to shock, scare, intrigue, and provoke further exploration. The lack of detail in these environments is forgiven due to their non-static upgrade from the pre-rendered era, and due to the substitute detail lavished instead by the game-play mechanics, files, characters, and cut-scenes.  

My first disappointment, but it’s a small gripe – the puzzle to free Steve is kindergarten.

The unnecessary peculiarity (rather than a tortured aggression) that envelopes Alfred’s first appearance & our first impressions of his character, jeopardises any gravitas in his stature, and any tension in this exchange with Clare. A first significant disappointment. His reference to an “ EXPERIMENTAL t-Virus” is very interesting and should be further explored.

The use of the submarine to gain access to a submerged level in this facility is a grand touch, like many in this game, and adds to the feeling that there is much to explore & on a much larger scale than in past Biohazard game locations.

Attack on trapped researcher by an as yet unknown monster assailant is beautifully brutal and is one of many little cut-scenes that cranks up the tension and keeps the atmosphere vividly sinister in the face of some typically mundane fetch puzzles.
The Bandersnatch is clearly no Hunter, it lacks the brutally immediate decapitating skill set, and it’s attack is not particularly damaging, but their design is unique and iconic in the series, (lovely pumping mutation & skeletal face) and they’re a worthy second best to the pinnacle of B.O.W. development that the Hunter proudly occupies.

With his over-emotional reactions, and psychoanalysis’s dream outbursts, Steve continues to show further insight into his troubled past and keeps his back story a continuing point of interest. Those little cut-scenes aforementioned that continually add strength & depth to the narrative & gameplay, again play out, this time as a vehicle to explore the true nature of Steve’s dysfunctional family life. The killing of his father, is wonderfully directed, the way he can only react when Clare’s, not his life, is in danger, and is legendary in being the first time (surprisingly late on in the series) that an emotional attachment to a zombie becomes a feature. (A side note - Steve stops shooting, not because his father lies motionless, but due to his ammo running out….the boy still has issues!)

The Anatomist is clearly a Joseph Vengle protégée, but his torture room is of a slightly poor design, too bare, and for CVX oddly lacking in atmosphere. One wonderful feature here is the one viewing chair next to a table furnished with a bottle & glass of wine, not out of place in a living room in front of the telly, but horrifically placed here surrounded by instruments of slow & painful death.

The appearance of a ghost ~ I would love to have experienced this without the afore knowledge of Wesker’s return. Now as legendary & significant & as wonderful as it was, at the heart of the matter is the most important factor that cannot be denied or ignored – it is a f**king ridiculous proposition that he planned to die at the hands of a Tyrant, only to be perfectly rejuvenated with additional super-powers to now return triumphant – I remember at the time of first experiencing this, my feeling of enormous deflation as my beloved series was drained of all its integrity in an irreversible way. Wesker’s return is like the opening cut-scene. It’s glorious and I love it, but it’s fucked the integrity of the game and it really has no place in an intelligent survival horror with confidence in it’s proven formula.

Everything encountered on the other side of this door with the ornate Gold Lugar locking system is a joy, is pure creepy horror, drenches the game-play in a deep sinister atmosphere, and conforms Code Veronca as a legitimate equal to the 3 giants that have come before it. Firstly we get Alfred’s office, with a stark contrast hitting sharply, as the haunting sanctuary music of the save room is quickly replaced by the crashing lighting that illuminates his desk through an oversize glass window, just begging to be smashed through. The scene with the Bandersnatch does not feel stale, but a frightening rise in the stakes, as Bandersnatch replaces Doberman. I quickly dodge this monstrosity and run desperately into the open, lighting now crashing violently around me with an unnerving frequency.

And now for the game’s signature moment, one of many intensely creepy, severely sinister mini-cut scenes that are scattered across the entire Code Veronica game-play, but sitting at the head of those wonderfuly grotesque vinettes, as most sinister of all, the camera pan up to Alfred’s privare residence with all the sounds & sights that accompany it. I purposefully approach the end of the walkway slowly , so as to stand at the point where you first catch sight of the imposing church like building, camera behind Claire’s back, before that cut-scene is triggered…and you just get the continued crash of lighting illuminating Claire’s immediate surroundings, as that odious building looks imposingly and ominously down at me from above whilst still cast in darkness.

As I climb the stone steps it’s triggered and I remember back to the first time I encountered this shocking introduction to what I was approaching, and how genuinely concerned I was that to go onwards was not the best plan. But I force myself on, senses heightened with deep worry, and enter the residence, quikly diding more ineffective Bandersnatche’s… design aside, these are very poor man’s Hunters. The music that hits you on entering is stunning, and would be worthy of a place in any of the world’s most acclaimed horror films. The organ effects go well with the gothic church style and the repeating haunting piano riff takes the melancholy of the save room scores from BIO 1, 2, and 3 and takes the melody to a new level of worrying concern. One of Biohazards most ironically frightening scores.  And these shockingly perturbing features keep hitting, with the image of Alexia’s strung up doll; move towards the left side of the room, and the first sight of it you get is a greyish suspended foot, attached to a equally discoloured leg covered by rags that would not look out of place on Lisa Trevor; bats flutter around the foot like moths attracted to a flame. Ascend the staitrs and this hideous ornament reveals more of itself, cranking up the tension and fright. Ascend the final half landing and the doll’s cold, stern face comes into focus in a quick camera movement that causes even more stressful tension. Is there a more atmospheric location in the entire series ? If so, not many, and none that I can think of post biohazard 4.

Using the lighter in the private residence on the HD upgrade is a joy; watching the silhouettes of the dolls swaying unnervingly across the walls is another Code Veronica moment where the perfect atmosphere to accompany survival horror is wonderfully achieved. BUT why is everything SO dark without it ?!

The Gambling room & bar has a distinct 1920s feel to it and I can imagine Edward hosting black tie drinks parties, and networking amongst the rich & powerful in search of financial sponsors & investors, as he sought to strengthen his influence within Umbrella. Whilst Alexia’s piano roll music plays in the background, walk Claire over to one of the balconies which overlook the Palace hall below and tell me this isn’t an almost close match for the R.P.D.

A cameo from Hunk, and a worryingly familiar cargo shipment; wonderful.

Starting to think there’s too much ammo for a real survival horror challenge, and then I bump into the 2 Bandersnatches I forgot about in the North East conference room.

I love the way the discovery of a transvestite is the last straw for Steve and is the thing that finally pushes him over the edge to shout “That’s it we’re getting out of here” – fascist. Steve is not the only one who has been pushed over the edge – Alfred has just set off the self-destruct as his own split personality self-destructs upon realisation that he’s been playing brothers & sisters by himself.

And now for my favourite Tyrant in the series, and my favourite Tyrant battle – the first part of our encounter is a challengeless affair, easily overcome with my plethora of acid rounds, but round two is only made as easy due to my experience now with this game, and I quickly shoot off 23 explosive Bow Gun Arrows and unscathed I hit that button to trigger the finest way a BOW has ever been dispatched in the series – it’s the survival horror death scene of Alien re-imagined for Code: Veronica.

I have never enjoyed the Antarctica sections – how many fucking times is that moth fuck going to empregnate my fucking back – so excruciatingly annoying....

I returned to this installment after quite a number of years and was (mistakenly) slightly unenthusiastic at the prospect due to the lack of renders. I must say that the experience was a joy. After the all-too comfortable (read "alienating") experiences of more recent games, it was simply wonderful.  CVX convincingly couples intimacy of character and location with a substantial, yet tasteful and meaningful increase in geographical and narrative scope. Reading from [STARS]Tyrant and George Trevor about the effect of the HD treatment has led me to the decision buy from the PSstore, if the dynamic lighting which etched so many areas of REmake and RE0 has such a great effect. Hopefully, the benefit will outweigh the feeling of loss I will feel at not being able to use that perfectly engineered Gamecube controller...

October 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[STARS]TyranT

Yeah I personally think the HD version of CODE: Veronica X is the best. 

BIOHAZARD 5 - MARCH 7TH 2009

CHAPTER 5 - 2

We quickly set off for Excella, and straight away the game takes a large turn. Gun wielding Majini now block progress, and suddenly a cover system is introduced to help us fight them. Biohazard 5 is now about as far removed as it possible can be from the origins of where it started. Though the gameplay isn’t horrendous by any means, it cannot hold a candle to more dedicated cover shooters such as Gears. Through not remembering how brutal the guns fights are on Veteran, and a couple of times where Sheva just stupidly runs off and gets herself killed, this section claimed my life 3 times. The level is essentially exclusively gun fighting, but a small section toward the end introduces a new and deadly monster - the Reaper.

The Reapers are a classic Biohazard monster, and the first in a long time that kill you with a single attack. Let them get too close and they will hold you and skewer you repeatedly, no matter how much health you have. They are also a little tricky to kill, with on process involving you to be very accurate and shoot specific points.

It’s not long though, before Chris and Sheva run into Excella again. This time they find her in a large laboratory, but before them is a test subject strapped to a chair. Excella still refuses to give up any information with Jill, and the person in the chair gets up and starts to mutate hideously, as large worm like things sprout out all over his body. Excella says he wasn’t worthy and he becomes a large Uroboros creature. Using a flame thrower available exclusively in this fight, the creature is killed incredibly easily. (Far easier than I had remembered actually).

PLAY TIME: 29:27

DEATHS: 3

CHAPTER 5 - 3

With the Uroboros creature destroyed, Chris and Sheva make their way through another shooting gallery, but almost straight away we have to fight two more Reapers. I completely fluff up the very first one, let it grab me and kill me instantly…

Second time I just took an MP5 against it, and just sprayed it with bullets which did the trick and made my way through the level. It’s a bit of a jumble this level, with a bizarre spiral elevator thing dividing the two main sections up.

The penultimate section is a tricky room where Chris and Sheva have to briefly split up and are attacked by a huge quantity of Lickers. I don’t know what the hell went wrong, but this section was a living nightmare for me… It took (wait for it) 14!!! attempts to actually do this section. My temper was unbelievable by the end of it. I just had no answer to the Lickers, whether I went and Sheva covered me, or I covered Sheva nothing seemed to work and the Lickers kept killing me again and again. With the room finally completed we head through a door with the Tricell logo on it, it seems important this door…

And indeed it is, as on the other side is none other than Excella herself. Chris questions her about Jill but before Excella can really give up anything Sheva and Chris are suddenly attacked by the bird woman. She easily beats Chris and Sheva in hand to hand, and Chris decides to open fire causing the bird woman to retreat, but not before her mask is shot off, her face still being covered by a veil.

Wesker finally appears and reveals himself to Chris. Chris is a little shocked that he’s alive, but Wesker taunts him by saying it’s one big family reunion, and that Chris should be happier to see ‘us’. Chris questions the ‘us’, and Wesker pulls the veil back on the bird lady.

It’s Jill, but now with blonde hair and very much appearing to work with Wesker! Wesker says that the odds are much fairer this time being a two on two fight, and the real battle begins.

Chris decides to fight Wesker and Sheva takes Jill. Wesker being too strong to fight opening (unless you are really good), the fight turns into a game of cat and mouse with you having to use the corridors to create space and attack Wesker from surprise. The first time Sheva was just utterly hopeless against Jill, and Jill killed her pretty quickly.

The second time, with the frustration of the Licker room already boiling my blood, I packed a rocket launcher and took out Wesker that way, grabbing the rocket and holding it, allowing me to shoot it while it’s still in his hands.

Wesker begins to leave and Jill attacks Chris again, but Chris tries to make Jill remember who he is. She starts to show signs of doubt, and Wesker mentions how it’s impressive that Jill is still resisting at ‘an advanced stage’. Jill rips the top part of her battle suit open and reveals a small glowing device attached to her chest. As Wesker leaves, Chris and Sheva have to battle with Jill.

Thankfully it went well first time. Chris shouting Jill causes her to become what appears to be in pain, allowing Sheva to grab her. A small amount of damage needs to be done to the device before it can be removed, but it eventually is, and finally our Jill Valentine is back on the right side of the fight.

She mentions how she couldn’t control her actions, and apologises to Sheva, and then pleads with Chris that he must still continue, defeat Wesker and destroy Uroboros otherwise millions will die. Chris is reluctant being that Jill is still recovering, but she assures Chris that she is okay. He eventually agrees, and Jill tells Sheva to ‘look after him’. They enter the same elevator Wesker did just moments ago, and emerge into a large dock. They see Wesker and Excella board a huge ship, and Chris and Sheva start to make their way toward it.

PLAY TIME: 58:26

DEATHS: 16

------

So there we have it! Jill is back in the series, though cosmetically changed somewhat since we last saw her. Her whole death and reintroductions works so much better now we can play Lost In Nightmares in advance and see and understand Chris’ journey somewhat. I’ve always found it a little strange though that Chris is so surprised that Wesker is still alive, yet so convinced Jill is, but I guess that’s just a personality trait of Chris’ and a glass-half-full approach to the situation.

Jill’s back story unlocked in the files is also brilliantly worked out, and I wish the writer of Biohazard 5 had more to do with the series. It seems she survived thanks to the t-virus laying dormant from her old Nemesis injury, and that through this t-virus inside her, Wesker is able to add the final touches to the Uroboros virus. As the file states, the irony of Jill who has spent so long battling viruses and monsters, has now inadvertently helped complete a truly deadly one. It’s yet another example of how robust this series’ story truly is though, when small plot points such as Jills infection from Biohazard 3 can still affect the story years later. Brilliant.

October 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.