CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Where do we go from here?

fletcherc

Greetings, fellow residents.

I've been wondering (and not for the first time) where Capcom is going to take our beloved game series in the future. In my humble opinion the last two main titles are proof that Capcom cares little about what the series used to be and what the name Resident Evil used to stand for. Maybe I'm overly pessimistic here so I'd like to see what other fans have to say about this. What are your hopes for the series? What would you like to see? What would you change? Should there be a reboot? Should the current storyline continue? How about a completely new storyline featuring new characters? Could RE survive without Chris and Leon?

I had the chance to meet Capcom's new target group at Weekend of Horrors this month: well-funded young button-pressers, focussed only on the task at hand (kill enemy, move on, kill enemy, move on ...) with little to no interest in the story or the atmosphere of the game. All of them thought Capcom's latest RE title was "brilliant". So is this the answer? Is Capcom on the right path?

--

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
When you're good at something, never do it for free ...

November 24, 2012 at 3:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

Hello fletcherc.

In my opinion the RE saga (or BH for friends), has this year has walked in consumer markets and disillusionment.

Capcom still crap to fans, as it has done over the years.

In 2012, the only game of the saga that was good, was RE: Revelations.

The RE 6, only the scenario of Leon was good, pulling stupid and annoying boss.

The other scenarios were not bad, but they are in shadow, the main character who was Ada

I feel that Jake and Chirs, were not necessary for the story.

But problem was history. Many epic win, more epic fail. Some nudity Fanservices of Sherry, Carla and Deborah were unnecessary.

But even Simmons was unnecessary and its transformations.

The RE 6 has many unnecessary things.

The RE: ORC is not worth talking about, taking missions Echo Six in DLC, which were better than the main game, simply that.

The RE Chronicles were just a conversion of the wii games.

The sleeve RE: marhawa is being disappointment. Mix the intrigue of Death note with Echi of HSOTD are making the same bad history of manga. Sorry but I have to say the DC comics of 2009 and the prequel Chronicles: Fall of umbrella sleeve is better than this series.

The movies and the live action, did boycott the movie, after Mila Tues talking bad and the fans of the book RE Caliban cove. And in the end the film was shit.

The RE Damation was a good movie, but did not bring anything new other than the plagues them being used on creatures with T-Virus and Progenitor.

In general appearance Capcom has these paths to choose:

Ignores some events RE6, and combine the survivor horror RE: Revelations action with RE4, but without the syndrome of Call of Duty 4.

2nd Back to origins as one RE. Or choose the paths of films with global outbreak sanding everything. Finally fans who do not want rebboot.

But Capcom is a damn about the fans, Shinji Mikai want there to know, even if capcom deliver the saga Plantim studios.

At the end of the saga as a fan, located hurt because capcom is lacking respect for the fans. Only thing they want is money. And I'm at the point, do not want the comic script of GR.

Because capcom and Mila sees us fans, each chromosome whorehouses, ready to buy your products.

The Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid, has more respect for the fans, because he respects the fans, than Capcom.

For me, the saga ended in RE 5. And Shinji Mikai day this will make a good horror game much higher than capcom. Maybe with a biker girl, dressed in red, called Elza, killing dolls-ghosts in haunted castle in japan.

Perhaps the conversion of PS3 RE: Revelations, Capcom does change his mind. Maybe.

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

November 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MIXED_HERB

It's up to the indie to save survival-horror. It seems Capcom has fallen for intimidation. Even the lovely Splinter Cell series has fallen this generation. Why can't games just be themselves?

They get greedy and want to be the next Call of Duty/Gears of War or Assassin's Creed but they only appear as bad knockoffs.

By far the WORST generation I've ever seen. I've been gaming since NES. I played a few original titles the last few years, Mirror's Edge, Heavy Rain... but for the most part many lacklusters and many IPs have been ruined this generation.

--

February 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fletcherc

That's the question, eh? Why can't games just be themselves? Why can't they be true to the original? I don't mind new stories, new characters, new monsters, new surroundings but I do mind when they start taking the horror out of the games.

Oh well, there's hope at least: Revelation is coming to Xbox. And I hope it will sell like hotcakes!

--

February 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Since this thread was created we've had Revelations HD, which whilst not being a perfect combination of survival horror & fast paced action, was very close. The success of games like The Walking Dead & Zombie U clearly shows that when done in a fresh, forward thinking way, survival horror can still shift significant units.

The sales figures for Revelations HD whilst promising at just over 1 million, is still depressingly almost 1/5 of Resident Evil 6's sales, but there is promising news despite this with Capcom's latest statement on the future direction, which came in an interview given to MCV on Aug 5th. Former Capcom marketing boss Michael Pattison spoke about aspirations & development direction of Resident Evil 7, thus confirming the game’s existence. He explained that fan feedback to RE6, which was referred to as feeling ‘bloated’, meant that the next entry would mark a return to survival horror roots. After two main titles which failed to deliver the survival horror ingredients that made the series so successful, Capcom promises to finally listen to our community, which has almost universally called for the return to classic survival horror ~

“With Resident Evil 6 specifically, we probably put too much content in there, there were comments from consumers that said it felt bloated. The Leon missions went down very well, and because we did Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS, there was a cry out for us to focus our attention on survival horror, rather than be too many things to all people. You’ll find where we go next will likely be more targeted at our core fan base.”

"A lot is said about the saturation of this zombie, post-apocalyptic survival horror. But it is still alive and well. The Last of Us shows a good direction of what the consumers want. Tomb Raider as well, we spoke to R&D and they looked at that and they enjoyed that experience. I think that proves there is still a strong market for that sort of content."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-resident-evil-6-felt-bloated-resident-evil-7-will-return-to-survival-horror-roots/0120229

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

August 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fletcherc

I read that article and I still don't get my hopes up. It's nice to see that Capcom seemed to know what they did wrong though.

Revelations was a step in the right direction of course but it still had those boring and definitely not scary uber-monsters that you have to attack and kill with those damn fixed guns (on the boat and on that helicopter) which is just tedious work in my opinion and not exactly survival horror.

I absolutely loved almost everything that went on on board the Queen Zenobia which felt like coming home to the Arklay Mountains and walking those dark mansion corridors again. I say "almost" because even there Capcom managed to mess up by having hordes of B.O.W.s attack the player from time to time which is NOT SCARY but pure and utter stress.

But anyway, it's still a great game and if RE7 is going to be anything like it I will probably even buy that. Unless of course they spring Wesker's long lost sister or dog or Grandma at us ... :-)

--

August 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

fletcherc at February 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

That's the question, eh? Why can't games just be themselves? Why can't they be true to the original? I don't mind new stories, new characters, new monsters, new surroundings but I do mind when they start taking the horror out of the games.

Oh well, there's hope at least: Revelation is coming to Xbox. And I hope it will sell like hotcakes!

The current video game market is saturated with idiots, as proven by the average sales that transpired for Revelations, and Mikami's new survival horror game has also failed to inspire. Where do we go from here? According to current rumours, we go straight to the imagination of Paul W Anderson...

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

May 4, 2014 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xarls

Please...no Paul W Anderson please...

May 5, 2014 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

fletcherc

Guys! Not that name! Not here! Sheesh ...

--

May 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.