CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > RESIDENTS CANVASS > RE Comics the end

AvP Ryu

Hello people. I have to say something.

I decided to give up doing RE comics. The decision was made today, after talking to an indie comic author, youtuber himself, Kaiju noir. It also dictated the end of godzilla fan comic. I know that for eleven years, I tried to do vaiors comics. George Romero's Script, original PAndreson Draft, Suvivor 2, Gaiden, Drama Albums Sherry and Ada Wong. This last one was voted, in the last GT stream.

The reasons were as follows: Copyright and fair use, not being able to use to sell the original art and comics industry does not care about niches. And fanbase.

I will leave the conversation I had with Kaiju Noir. That was the best advice I've had so far. Except for the Silence of contempt, which several Portuguese comics artists have given until now (some linked to marvel and DC Comics).

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

September 8, 2020 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

Hello Ryu. I’m not familiar with DMZ, that’s certainly a situation I’ve been asked about before. From what I’ve been told by my friends in the artist community, especially my late friend Christopher Martinez, original works are often more respected and praised among artists. I think it’s easy for someone like Matt Frank to approve fan art projects since he himself has built his career on fan art (Godzilla Neo, Gamera: The Last Hope, convention prints) and has garnered a lot of attention from the Godzilla community. However not everyone can obtain the level of fame he can, plus it’s kind of a double edged sword situation with fan art. On one hand you gain more attention from a fanbase because it’s something that’s instantly recognizable. On the other hand you can’t make money your project without breaking the law (or at least risk getting in trouble). On top of that, if it becomes a success you may end up stuck with said project and no one will want to check out your original projects outside of something you technically didn’t create. Sure, Matt Frank is popular in the Godzilla/kaiju community, but ONLY the that community. He’s still relatively unknown outside this small circle. Plus, like I mentioned before, most professional artists in the industry actually look down on fan artists since they have more respect for those that wish to create brand new original ideas rather than piggyback on others’. My peers within the artist community have always strived to create new comics like Fire-Beast Dorugan, Robot God Akamatsu, Durontus: The Lost Serpent, Marshal Star, and Kodoja. In turn they’ve greatly influenced me to pursue my own original comic, Draco Azul. I could’ve easily have made a Mazinger Z fan comic, but because I created something new instead, I now have a property that I can call 100% my own. Trust me, it’s a far more satisfying and triumphant experience to create something from the ground up.

However if you still wish to make a fan comic, I’m sure you’ll find an artist who will do it as a commission (always pay your artist unless they say otherwise). It’ll still bring attention to you and said artist, especially if you’re just starting out. But for more professional artists, they may avoid it simply because they’d rather work on officially licensed or original properties. If this is a story you REALLY want to tell, and it’s a story that can ONLY work with these characters and not new ones, then by all means don’t let me stop you. Just remember not to sell this comic. Art prints are one thing, but comics are definitely crossing the line into potentially bootleg territory.

Kaiju Noir

há 17 horas

*That’s certainly a situation I’ve been asked about before.

*cant make money off your fan project

*but ONLY in that community.

--

September 8, 2020 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

Well in the future there will only be fan art. RE comic no.

I only apologize for the false hype. I leave here my deviart page and some of my work. I apologize.
https://www.deviantart.com/avpryu/gallery

--

September 8, 2020 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

--

September 8, 2020 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maria-farina

It's no problem, AvP Ryu, and totally understandable, no need to apologize.

As the artist Kaiju Noir already told you, the first and major problem with fan comics is copyright and fair use. And some other probles are the ones you pointed out.

You know, making a comic (a RE comic or an original comic, too) has always been one of my wildest dreams. Unfortunately I realized how difficult it is to make a good comic, expecially for a beginner like me. The best thing to do would be taking art classes, but at the moment I have no much time and art classes are quite expensive where I live. So I like drawing every day and see if I can improve my art style as a self taught. Watching YouTube tutorials and looking at other artists' works can be of help, too.

Don't feel discouraged. We (and many other art lovers) are in the same boat! I'm happy to see you're into art and fanart. Even if you give up on a RE comic, don't stop drawing if that makes you happy.

--

It's too dark outside and I can't see anything out of the window.

---

- Because we are nothing but pawns, in all this?

- In a manner of speaking, you are.

September 8, 2020 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

Thank you, Mariana-Farina ,for your dear words.

--

September 8, 2020 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

Don't be discourage and do what you enjoy, it is a tender thing but many people do fan comics and art all the time. Many of which just do it for the enjoyment and not say 'hey, pay me to do it' kind of deal. 

I want you to keep drawing and doing what you enjoy, you have talent and I don't want you to snuff that fire out.

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

September 9, 2020 at 2:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.