CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Resident Evil Reimaging evidence?

Katie

If you play Re3r and read all the files in Jill's apartment and then listen to Brad during the intro part it seems that Brad was actually inside the Spencer Mansion. The way Brad talks at the start of the game sounds like he experienced more of the mansion incident then he did in the original game. He called it Arkley on steroids but cannoconically he only witnessed the Tyrant getting blown up from the helicopter. Some have argued that maybe he read the reports after, but reading about something and experiencing it would create a different reaction. Also Brad wasn't scared of the zombies, like he had seen it all before. Given how Brad is easily scared you would expect him to completely freak out at the sight of the undead and Nemesis.

May 31, 2020 at 2:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Are we thinking this is some alluding to them possibly re-imagining RE1 b/c of his changes in character?  Brad was handled differently in this one. I mean why would a man so fearful of his own shadow be doing a career in a law enforcement/task force anyway? Even if he was just a pilot. I think they wanted to update Brad's characterization to make more sense in the modern re-telling of RE3 (Despite the timeline being in the 90s) and the OG RE3 did have cheesy bad acting in the time it was released back in 1999 and Brad being the way he was in the original would not of worked out so well in a modern spin on a classic game. That's just what I think but you never know with Capcom at times. 

June 1, 2020 at 6:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BudTheChud

Right now, I am wondering if a lot of the altered story elements in RE3make (like Nicholai working for someone else) will actually have any weight in future games or were just there for the sake of it. If you ask me, Brad saying "It's like Arklay on steroids" it's an example of stuff written just because it sounds cool: Vickers being inside the mansion would mean heavily changing the plot of RE1 (Alpha team is stuck there because Brad took off in the helicopter and he arrives at the end to rescue his comrades). I do hope we will spared another remake of RE1: that's probably the single, most over-exploited entry in the whole series. I mean, after the original version we got Director's Cut, Director's Cut Dual Shock Edition, REmake, Deadly Silence and REmake HD Remaster. And I am not counting the Saturn and PC ports, the GBC version (whose beta can be found online), the Pachinko machine Capcom has made with REmake graphics...and I am sure I am missing something else...

--

Why do I need a signature?

June 1, 2020 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

I agree with points made by ResiEvilChick and BudTheChud, the dialogue additions were to re-characterise Brad, adding cool one-liners that if read deeper suggest a narrative that didnt occur with events that would contradict what we know happened prior to Resident Evil 3. At the time I enjoyed this re-imagining of Brad Vickers, it was a heartening redemption arc we saw portrayed, as he gives his life to gift Jill a chance of survival. But like many of these departures from the original, after going back and re-playing the original recently, they dont land with emotional effect.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

June 4, 2020 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BudTheChud

George Trevor at June 4, 2020 at 2:13 PM

I agree with points made by ResiEvilChick and BudTheChud, the dialogue additions were to re-characterise Brad, adding cool one-liners that if read deeper suggest a narrative that didnt occur with events that would contradict what we know happened prior to Resident Evil 3. At the time I enjoyed this re-imagining of Brad Vickers, it was a heartening redemption arc we saw portrayed, as he gives his life to gift Jill a chance of survival. But like many of these departures from the original, after going back and re-playing the original recently, they dont land with emotional effect.

I must say I like the way they rewrote Brad (yeah, even his demise - especially since how it ties with Marvin's fate): like all the other characters, he was rewritten to be more like a believable human being or, more likely, a proper movie character. I always felt the casts from othe original games were written like cartoon characters (I mean stuff like G.I. Joe): Brad being such a coward to fly away at the first sign of danger doesn't fit well with the idea of a pilot from a paramilitary unit. Unless I missed anything, in the remake they only vaguely reference him leaving the team behind...damn, I liked that game a lot: if only they had made it longer it could've been a masterpiece. Graphics are amazing for most of the time, voice acting is stellar and it actually plays pretty good...it just doesn't last. And, yeah, I must admit it: Jill's new design made me fell in love with her again. Never had anything against Julia Voth's likeness, but she never really clicked with me...it's too bad we'll probably never see the new character models again (maybe Leon, if they're really going to do a RE4 remake)...

--

Why do I need a signature?

June 4, 2020 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.