CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > RE4 Remake in development

Albert Wesker 187

Here is another article that specifies that Resident Evil 4 remake is in the works, by two developers who worked on Resident Evil 3 remake. Furthermore, in my opinion I am alright with Capcom remaking 4 again: nevertheless though I would have wanted a remake of Code Veronica. I am still going to buy Resident Evil 4 remake when it does come out.

As always I am looking forward to hearing the residents discussion on this topic here is the link to the article.

--

"The only thing that can defeat power is more power. That is the one constant in this universe. However, there is no point in power if it consumes itself. I will enlist the help of an old friend against our common foe; I will use one pawn to eliminate the other, and emerge with the spoils for myself... "

April 13, 2020 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M-Greg

We do not need this, but maybe it's ironically a good thing. I don't much care for bio4 as it is. But I hate BIORE:2 and BIORE:3 for how little regard they have for the classic BIO2 and BIO3. Perhaps the inverse will come true this time making this remake a better version of bio4.

--

The basis of controlling fear... Only those who've conquered fear deserve to rule the world.

April 14, 2020 at 6:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Thanks for the report Albert Wesker 187,  I am very pleased to hear these rumours may actually be true! No, I am really! After initially having an emotionally breakdown when RE4 changed from Yasuhisa Kawamora's vision with his 'Hook man/Hallucination' experimental game play & 'Castle/Fog' build to Miami's vision which departed from so much of the REmake tone, atmosphere, and game play, it was the first time Capcom broke my heart, I grew to love many aspects of Resident Evil 4, including the Gothic themes, genuine fear & horror strong throughout with often a feeling of constant pursuit on a par with original RE3 Nemesis, but this time by a variety of antagonist characters & B.O.Ws.

However the camera constantly bouncing back to the center of the screen & at a height that feels too low, is almost game breaking for me now, although oddly I don't remember it being that bad on the original GameCube version. If I could somehow fix/get over the camera issue I would only then cite the game's unforgivable, indefensible crime against survival horror, of having enemies drop ammo, it's woeful lack & ease of puzzles, Ashley Graham, and it's frustrating linearity, from preventing it being a Resident Evil classic. The scenarios and environments, atmosphere and music are all on a par with the series' best in all those categories.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

April 18, 2020 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lunar Indie Studios
I'd be okay with it, since it would be a part of the whole "re-imagined" timeline that 2 and 3 have somewhat established, but I think CODE: Veronica ought to be made first, or hell, even a (unpopular opinion approaching) re-imagined RE1 to fit the style of the other games. Then again, that's just me, lol.
April 24, 2020 at 11:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

I'm not so sure about this tbh. Then after 4 is remade, they gonna remake 5 and 6 next? It just doesn't make sense to me. The games aren't doing any real retcons since the re-imaginings have the same core plot points anyway unless we see stuff from the re-imaginings popping up in future games from RE8 and up. IDK guess we'll see how all this goes down the line.

--

May 6, 2020 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

I'm not so sure about this tbh. Then after 4 is remade, they gonna remake 5 and 6 next? It just doesn't make sense to me. The games aren't doing any real retcons since the re-imaginings have the same core plot points anyway unless we see stuff from the re-imaginings popping up in future games from RE8 and up. IDK guess we'll see how all this goes down the line.

--

May 6, 2020 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seashell

Not going to lie, I'm a little uneasy hearing that RE4 will be the one getting the remake treatment when there are arguably other more deserving RE titles - at least, other titles that would benefit more from a remake (CV, anyone?).

That being said, if the planets align and Capcom plan to take inspiration from the 3.5 builds then I'm all in. Sigh... a girl can dream.

May 21, 2020 at 3:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert Wesker 187
Thanks to everyone who took part in this discussions apologies for not being active I started working about two weeks ago so I am trying to get back into routine after being in quarantine for 2 months. Anyways back to the topic at hand I am excited for a total remaster of Resident Evil 4 however I would have preferred to have a remake of Code Veronica instead of Resident Evil 4 or a remaster of Resident Evil 1 entirely. Furthermore, unless Capcom decides to make resident evil 4 like the 3.5 demo that would be something to look forward too entirely.
--

"The only thing that can defeat power is more power. That is the one constant in this universe. However, there is no point in power if it consumes itself. I will enlist the help of an old friend against our common foe; I will use one pawn to eliminate the other, and emerge with the spoils for myself... "

May 28, 2020 at 6:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doom Keeper

Seashell at May 21, 2020 at 3:26 PM

Not going to lie, I'm a little uneasy hearing that RE4 will be the one getting the remake treatment when there are arguably other more deserving RE titles - at least, other titles that would benefit more from a remake (CV, anyone?).

That being said, if the planets align and Capcom plan to take inspiration from the 3.5 builds then I'm all in. Sigh... a girl can dream.

Capcom never going to admit they dropped the ball when Mikami bombed out Resi 3.5 and so cant see them adding anything back in from that beta. I can think of 6 Resi games more deserving of a remake but Capcom will go where the big bucks lead them and that is going to be to a remote village in Europe. Sheena or Rockfort islands would have been a better destination.

--

Those that behold my image will crumble, for I am the keeper of doom.

May 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seashell

Doom Keeper at May 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM

Seashell at May 21, 2020 at 3:26 PM

Capcom never going to admit they dropped the ball when Mikami bombed out Resi 3.5 and so cant see them adding anything back in from that beta. I can think of 6 Resi games more deserving of a remake but Capcom will go where the big bucks lead them and that is going to be to a remote village in Europe. Sheena or Rockfort islands would have been a better destination.

I'll buy the RE4 remake on the one condition that included in it is an alternate ending where it turns out that all the villagers are just normal, decent chaps who are trying to defend their village from a foreign, gun-wielding secret agent who keeps walking into people's houses, raiding all their cabinets and jumping out of their windows.

--

" S e a s h e l l   i s   e v i l . . . "   -   A n o n y m o u s ,   2 0 0 8

May 30, 2020 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BudTheChud

I'd only be interested in a RE4 remake if it wasn't actually a remake but a new game that actually moves the original narrative forward, like 4 was supposed to do and didn't. That game was probably my single, biggest disappointment as a gamer. But there are too many fans of BIO4 and Capcom certainly doesn't want to disappoint them, so I guess we should prepare to see Leon roundkicking Spaniards again. How they can remake 4 without Code: Veronica being redone first is beyond me (despite Mikami's paperthin plot, Wesker's the mastermind behind both Krauser and Ada - and Wesker, up until his appearance on Rockfort Island, was supposed to be dead). 

--

Why do I need a signature?

May 30, 2020 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert Wesker 187

BudTheChud at May 30, 2020 at 9:40 PM

I'd only be interested in a RE4 remake if it wasn't actually a remake but a new game that actually moves the original narrative forward, like 4 was supposed to do and didn't. That game was probably my single, biggest disappointment as a gamer. But there are too many fans of BIO4 and Capcom certainly doesn't want to disappoint them, so I guess we should prepare to see Leon roundkicking Spaniards again. How they can remake 4 without Code: Veronica being redone first is beyond me (despite Mikami's paperthin plot, Wesker's the mastermind behind both Krauser and Ada - and Wesker, up until his appearance on Rockfort Island, was supposed to be dead). 

More than likely their might be a chance that this may happen for the reason that they have been working on the Resident Evil 4 remake since 2018 and with the game set to release two years from now that gives Capcom 4 years to work on Resident Evil 4 remake and possibly some new stuff like Resident Evil 2 remake and Resident Evil 3 Remake. I digress though because I would love to see a remake of Code Veronica being that it is one of my favorites of the series. Nevertheless, I am pretty sure Capcom will work on a Remake of Code Veronica eventually seeing at how successful the last 2 remakes having sold really well and Resident Evil 2 remake being nominated for game of the year.
--

May 31, 2020 at 3:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BudTheChud

Albert Wesker 187 at May 31, 2020 at 3:45 AM

BudTheChud at May 30, 2020 at 9:40 PM

More than likely their might be a chance that this may happen for the reason that they have been working on the Resident Evil 4 remake since 2018 and with the game set to release two years from now that gives Capcom 4 years to work on Resident Evil 4 remake and possibly some new stuff like Resident Evil 2 remake and Resident Evil 3 Remake. I digress though because I would love to see a remake of Code Veronica being that it is one of my favorites of the series. Nevertheless, I am pretty sure Capcom will work on a Remake of Code Veronica eventually seeing at how successful the last 2 remakes having sold really well and Resident Evil 2 remake being nominated for game of the year.

As a massive Code: Veronica fan (my all-time favorite ex aequo with RE2), I am a bit thorn about it getting remade: that game has a pretty unique atmosphere and flair. It's probably the darkest and most disturbing of the classic games with its hints at incest and visual references to Nazism (the prison camp is modeled after the concentration camps at Auschwitz and Dachau - it even features the infamous owens) and all-around mature themes despite the manga-coating. Considering how much it was sanitized in Darkside Chronicles, I'd be a bit afraid of a remake (even though RE2make actually showed Capcom is not afraid of dark stuff with the new Irons), not to mention the fact it was the only one to feature a 3D camera, which remains pretty spectacular to this day (the only other two games with a similar, cinematic view are "Dino Crisis" and "Silent Hill" - I am pretty sure they took hints from the latter), and that would get lost with the over-the-shoulder perspective. But, if they are gonna remake 4, I want to see C:V first, if only for it to get the recognition it deserves despite its bizarre displacement in the series (it's the true sequel to RE2, and, actually, the only true sequel in the whole series, picking up were the other game ended, but it's not RE3 and never was intended to be...I'd still like to hear more about the original version with Jill - it would've made more sense as a non-numbered sequel). 

--

May 31, 2020 at 8:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

RE4 Remake or Reimagined better not disappoint many of us. Let's be honest, the last two 'remakes' or 'reimagines' didn't hold up too well with story and did change a lot of things, for good or for bad.

If 4 gets one, I fear they'll change it and shorten it since we have different locations and events that happen in the story. I loved the new locations we end up and exploring around as well. I want all the locations we know and remember to be there.

Characters might end up getting changed or scrapped or even some of the monsters. I still find it hard that Capcom said that animating the gator in RE2make was difficult. I talked to a handful of animators (who make animated 3D models) who said that Capcom didn't even try. Look at the various monsters from Monster Hunter and their various movements and actions. The gator too difficult to animate?

Just imagine the iconic boss fight with the giant salamander on the lake. For all we know Capcom could change it into Leon operating the boat as fast as he can with a sequence to that of RE2make's gator 'fight'.

The fight with Salazar, will it be changed to a different way of fighting him? Or Verdugo?

I love the improvement of graphics and details but I can't stand too much change to story and already planted events that we know. The Resident Evil 1 Remake is the real meaning of a Remake. It holds the same heart and soul to that of the original game with updated graphics and added lore that fits perfectly without changing anything.

Resident Evil 4, if true in getting a remake or reimagined, I pray we don't lose too much of the original. I want all of them to keep the same outfits they have and the ones you can unlock. Plus Mercenaries, that would be fun to play again.

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

June 2, 2020 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BudTheChud

TheOracleDragon at June 2, 2020 at 3:49 PM

RE4 Remake or Reimagined better not disappoint many of us. Let's be honest, the last two 'remakes' or 'reimagines' didn't hold up too well with story and did change a lot of things, for good or for bad.

If 4 gets one, I fear they'll change it and shorten it since we have different locations and events that happen in the story. I loved the new locations we end up and exploring around as well. I want all the locations we know and remember to be there.

Characters might end up getting changed or scrapped or even some of the monsters. I still find it hard that Capcom said that animating the gator in RE2make was difficult. I talked to a handful of animators (who make animated 3D models) who said that Capcom didn't even try. Look at the various monsters from Monster Hunter and their various movements and actions. The gator too difficult to animate?

Just imagine the iconic boss fight with the giant salamander on the lake. For all we know Capcom could change it into Leon operating the boat as fast as he can with a sequence to that of RE2make's gator 'fight'.

The fight with Salazar, will it be changed to a different way of fighting him? Or Verdugo?

I love the improvement of graphics and details but I can't stand too much change to story and already planted events that we know. The Resident Evil 1 Remake is the real meaning of a Remake. It holds the same heart and soul to that of the original game with updated graphics and added lore that fits perfectly without changing anything.

Resident Evil 4, if true in getting a remake or reimagined, I pray we don't lose too much of the original. I want all of them to keep the same outfits they have and the ones you can unlock. Plus Mercenaries, that would be fun to play again.

I remember Capcom actually planned a longer version of the gator sequence in RE2make - they even showed videos of a rough version, but eventually cut it short: it was essentially the creature chasing you through a longer route. I think "it's too difficult to animate" is more of a generic excuse for stuff they had to change for whatever reason rather than them not trying: it kind of reminds me how Mikami always used to say "At this point, I cannot answer this question" during interviews whenever people wanted to know about what was coming next or what happened to certain characters. It was mostly in the years between RE3 and RE4 (when, as he recently admitted, Capcom was always putting him under the limelight) and, as we later discovered, he had no idea about what the future actually held. Quite frankly, I don't see what the big deal with the alligator scene in RE2make is: again, I liked it. It's not like the original version was that epic, save for the "Jaws" reference: you had to run at the end of the corridor, detach the tank and wait for the gator to pick it up. That's it. There was an alternative way (and at least one surprise), but that's true for the rest of the game as well: OG RE2 was more...I wouldn't say "refined", but a lot of effort went in to try and surpass RE1 in every way and that included incentivating gamers to play it over and over again. In RE2make more energy went into making a modern game that recaptured the feeling of a 20+ years old title...different approach.  

As much as I despise RE4, I wouldn't be so pessimistic about the remake: RE2 and RE3 struggled a lot (with varying degrees of success) to maintain their old-school approach while undeniably using a lot of 4's DNA. I think that RE4make will be less problematic. RE3 was probably seen as a bit more expendable because, while the original did well, it didn't take the market by storm the way RE2 and 4 did, and, after all, it was a spin-off to be made on the cheap that got promoted to mainline entry half-way through development: I wouldn't be surprised if they don't regard it as important as other titles.

Since a remake of 4, like death, is unavoidable, my only hope is that they remove some of the campiness and the more improbable characters\situations, but that would mean altering the game too much: hell, even Luis' attire (he looks like a gunslinger from the 1800s, with something of Zorro thrown in - and he carries a damn Mauser C96) doesn't fit with the established RE universe in my opinion, no matter how messed up the latter already was by that point (especially after RE0). 

I guess I should be happy I got a taste of modernized survival-horror with RE2make and a flawed-yet-enjoyable hybrid with RE3make: with RE8 being another first-person title and RE4 getting remade, the future doesn't look very bright for an old fan like me. 

--

June 4, 2020 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.