CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Spencer Mansion fireplace mystery

TheCaretaker

I might be missing something trivial here, but I don't remember ever seeing that fireplace lit? The one I'm refering to is in the room where you switch out the shotgun with the broken one. But, on the Resident Evil Wiki page for that room, there are background images which clearly show the room being lit by a burning fire. This caught me off guard as I don't recall ever lighting that, or needing to light that for anything in the game?

Reference to the images

November 25, 2019 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

TheCaretaker at November 25, 2019 at 7:51 PM

I might be missing something trivial here, but I don't remember ever seeing that fireplace lit?

The one I'm refering to is in the room where you switch out the shotgun with the broken one.

But, on the Resident Evil Wiki page for that room, there are background images which clearly show the room being lit by a burning fire.

This caught me off guard as I don't recall ever lighting that, or needing to light that for anything in the game?

Reference to the images here - https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Spencer_Mansion/Parlor?file=R116_00004.jpg

Seems to be just an unused shot from the disc for that room as the flat lighting is there for the fire but the fire itself is still not lit.
November 26, 2019 at 6:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheCaretaker

You might be right, but...

The actual fire effect is overlayed onto the background I believe? And the same thing happens with the fireplace in the dining room and the lounge where you light the fireplace to get the map.

If you look at the background images for the those rooms, you can see the fire effect is not displayed on those images either. There's a couple of backgrounds (frames) used in the parlor room too, to create that flicker effect of the light filling the room, meaning it was fully intended to be lit at some point during the game.

Maybe there's a way to light it that hasn't been figured out yet?

November 26, 2019 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

I love this thread because I always try to light that fireplace! I think you may be onto something here, looking at these GameCube background images, extracted by Welsh. The fire effect would have been added over the background, like all the enviromental dynamic effects added to the pre-rendered backdrops, so it's agruable at one time the fireplace was meant to be lightable!

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

June 4, 2020 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Seashell

George Trevor at June 4, 2020 at 2:47 PM

I love this thread because I always try to light that fireplace! I think you may be onto something here, looking at these GameCube background images, extracted by Welsh. The fire effect would have been added over the background, like all the enviromental dynamic effects added to the pre-rendered backdrops, so it's agruable at one time the fireplace was meant to be lightable!

Those rips are sweet! Did Welsh ever post the full set anywhere?

--

" S e a s h e l l   i s   e v i l . . . "   -   A n o n y m o u s ,   2 0 0 8

June 8, 2020 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Katie
That room looks so cosy
--
June 16, 2020 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.