CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community Site & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > RE:Remake - Mansion Paintings

TheCaretaker

Greetings! The purpose of this thread is to resurrect an interest in hunting down the title and artist names of numerous paintings found specifically inside the remake version of the Spencer Mansion. A similar thread on the Project Umbrella forums started way back in 2012 and became a resource of paintings found in many games within the franchise. I found that thread a year ago and even then, the majority of the images were long gone. A year later and there's not much left at all. In time, I'll try to create a source for all games by resurrecting as much information from the old thread as possible. For the time being I wanted to create a thread for the Spencer Mansion and try to hunt those down first.

All of the paintings below can be found inside the remake version of the Spencer Mansion; and some can be found in other games in the Resident Evil franchise. For now it's just a basic list without any context. Some of the paintings are self-explanatory and easily recognisable, while others may need some explaining. These explanations will be added in time.

Not all of the paintings appear in their original form. Many of them were edited, cropped, flipped and altered drastically before being featured in the mansion. These are the most difficult to track down, especially since a lot them are so small.

However, many of the paintings are repeated more than once throughout the mansion and appear in several locations. If a painting is hard to make out in one location, you can probably get a better look at it somewhere else. Though, in some cases, your best angle/view of a painting will occur during a cutscene.

This is demonstrated below.

Blink during the early cutscene of Jill and Barry first entering the Dining Room and you'll never get a better angle of the painting on the left for the rest of the game. From this angle you can see it's a flipped version of Claude Lorrain's "Seaport with the Embarkation of the Queen of Sheba" painted in 1648. This screenshot helps identify which painting was hanging there, but a better shot of the painting itself can be found elsewhere. It appears in several locations around the mansion and can be found in our list below.

Each painting has a story to tell. Why were some altered and others left in their original state? Is there a special reason these paintings were chosen over so many others? The paintings that feature in certain puzzles, like the Gallery puzzle and the Clock puzzle, may fetaure original art done by the game developers. On the other hand, they could be heavily altered versions of already existing art. As a result, some of these paintings may never be identified and the answers to many questions never found, but here's a list of what we have so far in no particular order...

*** I'll continue to update this post with example locations and explanations of each painting. When a new painting is discovered, it will appear here and credit will be given to the contributor.

Happy Hunting! 

"Supper at Emmaus" by Caravaggio [1601] | Credit to BioTech, Welsh & Ridley

"The Surgeon" by Jan Sanders van Hemessen [1555] | Credit to Welsh & Ridley

"Proserpine" (8th edition) by Dante Gabriel Rossetti [1882] | Credit to Project Omega

"Mariana" by Dante Gabriel Rossetti [1870] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"April Love" by Arthur Hughes [1855-6] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"La Belle Iseult" by William Morris [1854] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"Charles I on Horseback" by Anthony Van Dyck [1637-8] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"The Arnolfini Portrait" by Jan van Eyck [1434] | Credit to Ridley

"The Magdalen Reading" by Rogier van der Weyden [Before 1438] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"The Morning Walk" by Thomas Gainsborough [1785] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"Hope" by George Frederic Watts [1886] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"A Woman bathing in a Stream" by Rembrandt [1654] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"The Ambassadors" by Hans Holbein the Younger [1533] | Credit to Toten

"Madonna of the Meadow" by Giovanni Bellini [1500-5] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"Le Chapeau de Paille" by Peter Paul Rubens [1622-5] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"Three Ladies Adorning a Term of Hymen" by Joshua Reynolds [1773] | Credit to Ridley

"Judith Beheading Holofernes" by Caravaggio [1598–9] | Credit to Ridley

"Sacrifice of Isaac" by Caravaggio [1603] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"Titania and Bottom" by Henry Fuseli [1790] | Credit to Welsh & Ridley

"Seaport with the Embarkation of the Queen of Sheba" by Claude Lorrain [1648] | Credit to Welsh & Ridley

"The Smiling Spider" by Odilon Redon [1887] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"The School of Athens" by Raphael [1509-11] | Credit to Mareike & TheCaretaker

"Mares and Foals in a River Landscape" by George Stubbs [1768] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"The Adoration of the Golden Calf" by Nicolas Poussin [1633-34] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"Christ and John the Baptist as Children" by Francois Boucher [1758] | Credit to BSAArklay & TheCaretaker

"The Mill" by Rembrandt [1645–48] | Credit to BSAArklay & TheCaretaker

"The Birth of Venus" by Alexandre Cabanel [1863] | Credit to TheCaretaker

"King Lear Weeping over the Dead Body of Cordelia" by James Barry [1786-88] | Credit to TheCaretaker

January 3, 2019 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Greetings TheCaretaker, welcome to the CHE mansion, this is a thread of particular interest to me, but the residents here that can be post helpful to this thread are Welsh and Ridley - I alerted them both to this homage to the wonderful original investigation at Project Umbrella, and hopefully they can add their findings here too. I am also trying to find some of my own!

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

January 4, 2019 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheCaretaker

I managed to find these two paintings last night.

"Mares and Foals in a River Landscape" by George Stubbs [1768]

"The Adoration of the Golden Calf" by Nicolas Poussin [1633-34]

Added both to the collection.

January 9, 2019 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

These are some great finds! I think my favorite so far is The Smiling Spider, tho I am not too fond of them, luckily I've never had the dubious honor of encountering those large ones like at the Spencer Mansion!
Thanks for providing this info at CHE!

--

January 10, 2019 at 9:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Excellent work here keep this stuff alive. If it helps you at all I have the textures for HD Remaster although I am pretty sure I uploaded all of the paintings I could find into my Remake texture thread. Keep up the great work, hope to see more.

Remake textures: https://www.crimson-head.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13472382

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

January 10, 2019 at 6:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheCaretaker

BSAArklay at January 10, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Excellent work here keep this stuff alive. If it helps you at all I have the textures for HD Remaster although I am pretty sure I uploaded all of the paintings I could find into my Remake texture thread. Keep up the great work, hope to see more.

Remake textures: https://www.crimson-head.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13472382

Thanks for the assist BSAArklay, those texture files proved useful.

I found these as a result.

"Christ and John the Baptist as Children" by Francois Boucher [1758]

"The Mill" by Rembrandt [1645-48]

I don't think I'd have found them so quickly otherwise, so credit where it's due. Also, I nearly forgot to add this one. I found it a while back and it almost slipped my mind.

"The Birth of Venus" by Alexandre Cabanel [1863]

All have been added to the collection, thanks again!
January 10, 2019 at 11:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheCaretaker
I was trying to identify the large painting in the Main Hall that covers and surrounds the back door leading to the cemtery. Still searching for that, but I randomly found this one in my search results and recognised it right away. Sifting through so many images can lead to several changes in direction. Often I'll start searching for one painting in particular and when I'm having no luck, the results themselves will lead me down another path and the rabbit hole deepens. Sometimes it leads you somewhere worthwhile.

Added this one to the main bunch.

"King Lear Weeping over the Dead Body of Cordelia" by James Barry [1786-88]

January 16, 2019 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.