CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Combining The Evil: Supplements

USS Command

This thread is dedicated to the series of articles Combining The Evil. Here I’ll post updates and answer any questions that may arise. I’ll also be posting stuff that I, and the other staff of CHE, have discovered that goes with what is said in the articles. If any of you see or know of stuff that could’ve been mentioned to help make a point that I have missed or something new comes to light that helps a point, then feel free to post it as well!

With that being said, here’s something that came up in the CHE staff chat forever ago that I never got around to placing within the article. Curtesy of TheOracleDragon’s friend Wonderman, who provided us with scans to some old Biohazard book.

And here we have a cover of a magazine/catalogue called Kendo Guns & Ammo. In Inserting The Evil I say “the idea of a catalogue showing off guns available to buy and their prices fits fine” and here we are! With a cover for that catalogue! Now when we combine all this, we now know a lot more about one shop in Raccoon City than any other, from its business hours to its PO Box! At least until RE2make comes out and retcons everything.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

January 2, 2019 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Oh wow this is a neat find, USS Command.A question I do have and I'm not sure if it was ever discussed so forgive me if I missed it but was it ever confirmed what state Raccoon City is in? I mean I know its a Mid-Western state and all.

--

January 10, 2019 at 9:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Evil Resident

ResiEvilChic96 at January 10, 2019 at 9:12 AM

Oh wow this is a neat find, USS Command.A question I do have and I'm not sure if it was ever discussed so forgive me if I missed it but was it ever confirmed what state Raccoon City is in? I mean I know its a Mid-Western state and all.

It is widely accepted as being located in Missouri.
--
Hiding places are beyond number, and yet only one deliverance. But there are as many chances for deliverance as there are hiding places - Kafka
January 10, 2019 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

If you recall in my Raccoon City investigation Mikami and Matsunami answered this question.

https://www.crimson-head.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13484369

Mikami: It was a northwest region.

Matsunami: Well we really don't care where.

Mikami: It was some countryside.

So unless there is evidence we haven't seen yet that came post this interview then I guess there is no location for it. I came to the conclussion that it was Missouri Springfield as a template or blank canvas if you will, throw in inspriations from all round the world like France buildings and shops, Tokyo subway system and tram, etc and that's your Raccoon City. But that is all just theory territory the closest we ever came to getting an actual location named was in the Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster press kit when they said it was MN the abbriveation for Minnesota. However we have no idea where or who this information came from.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

January 10, 2019 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Thanks EvilResident and BSAArklay for the theories and that interview piece. I did recall seeing that interview before, it just slipped my mind (I blame that on my overeating during the holidays and stress!). I nearly once thought it was Ilnois before but Missouri or Minnesota would seem more ideal but no biggie since it's all fiction. 

--

January 10, 2019 at 10:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command

So here’s something, in RE2make Birkin is no longer the Director of the lab as Bryon Cartwright has replaced him. But why? Well Inserted Evil can give us an answer! First Birkin’s Journal, in it he talks about how he views his work on G;

"My work." An interesting turn of phrase. Umbrella will see it as their work. Their reward. But what have they done for it? They've provided equipment, and raw materials. But I've shown the way. I have cleared the path. Me. William Birkin. And yet they will reap the reward while I will likely be forgotten. Or worse. I'm reminded once again of that deed. The order to terminate Marcus. To appropriate all of his data. All of his life's work. Am I now filling that Marcus seat? Who will be ordered to take my life's work? When will my work become more valuable to Umbrella than I am myself? And what of Annette and my Sherry? If Umbrella feel that I am no longer needed, what becomes of them? I must proceed with caution. I need to finish my work of course, but perhaps keep the details close. My colleagues can't know how near I am to completion - those fools wouldn't possibly understand even if I told them! Their silly little projects games and child's play. My work must continue.

So he was keeping to himself about his work and not sending reports and he is clearly paranoid about becoming like Marcus. This obviously effects his behavior, as noted by two scientist at the lab.

[1] "Birkin is acting strange lately. He looks distracted."

[2] "By his work?"

[1] "No. He's as focused as always when it is about the research. What I mean is... I don't know, he seems absent when I talk to him."

[2] "In fact, the other day I watched him talk on the phone. He looked nervous. He only answered 'yes or no'."

[1] "It looks like he's close to finding a breakthrough in Project G. Maybe the pressure is affecting him. As you know, the company has great hopes in him."

[2] "Okay. Umm... I don't really like him but no one can deny he's a genius."

[1] "Yes, it's clear that after his work on the Project G and the NE-Beta Parasite he's called to do great things. You should check out the parasite data."

[2] "I'm not even allowed to go near it. I think that's the cause of his rare behaviour. He's close to finding something and maybe he wants no one to find out and take his merit."

[1] "Yes, maybe. But he should be put under control. Something's happening there. I'm not gonna say anything, though."

So [1] didn’t say anything but maybe [2] did? But even if they don’t say anything, the Umbrella Psychological Evaluation Unit picked up on stuff as well as we see in their closing comments;

Birkin continues to exhibit a strange mixture of mania and extreme reserve. Watching him talk about his work is like watching an internal battle take place as one part of him wants to dazzle with the detail and scale, whilst the other wants to keep it all hidden within.

His obsessive talk of ‘the future’ is worrying as well. He refuses to provide any real information or idea of what he believes this future will hold for him, and yet… he also seems to see this future as a truly great place for him and his family.

He is incredibly tired. His work ethic is commendable – but how long can he work at this pace before mistakes are made? The fact that he became very agitated when questioned about the past is a sign of this fatigue – particularly the conversation relating to the local police force.

In the opinion of this department, Umbrella should continue to keep an extremely close eye on Dr. William Birkin and ensure that his psychological evaluations take place at much more regular intervals. Our suggestion is to schedule a new evaluation next month. Perhaps things will have settled down a little by then.

None of this stuff is dated so perhaps the month came and went and he didn’t change or only got worse. So with his behavior and the lack of reports on G, Umbrella sent out this email we see in RE2make.

The Umbrella Corporation has decided to cease all research on "G," which was ongoing at the NEST underground laboratory. All funding for this project has been cut, and laboratory director William Birkin has been removed from his post.

Thus allowing Bryon Cartwright to be the new Director.

And there you go another way this stuff can fit canon.

Edit: Cartwright isnt a director but a chief researcher. But the idea of how Birkin was removed still works!

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

February 9, 2019 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

News Bot

Byron Cartwright was chief researcher and successor to Greg Mueller.

February 17, 2019 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command

Thanks for the reminder NB! Me and BSAArklay talked about this a few days ago and he cleared it up with you and I ment to come edit this post but for got to.

--

February 22, 2019 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.