CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Raccoon City Open World Game

Xarls

For quite some time, I have been thinking about how great a RE Open World game set in Raccoon City could be. Do not missunderstand me, I'm not talking about a GTA/Just Cause style game with action, vehicles, explosions...rather an actual survival horror in which picking the right route, decide when to shoot and when to run, managing the inventory and cooperating is fundamental to escape with your life. Here are my ideas:

• A lot of routes, some of them blocked at the beggining.
  • Vehicles are rare, as most are broken.
  • Only policemen and certain civilians have weapons and ammo.
  • Lots of AI characters that remember our action.
  • "Archetype" characters with their own skills: bartender, policeman...much like in Outbreak, these characters wouldn't be part of the canon.
  • Lots of routes: from the dangerous and direct streets to the more secure but longer rooftops or undergrounds.
  • Stealth component while moving in order to keep the pressure, but not essential (looking through keyholes, studying the best route...

What do you think? It's quite different from what we are used to but, Do you think you would like this kind of game?

--

The DEADPOOLEST Crimson Head Elder resident

September 5, 2017 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

Some time ago, and I posted this on Biohaze back when it happened, I had this dream where I was playing the RE2 remake, but it was a combined RE2/RE3 remake, split among scenarios, completely open world. It was an interesting mix of third person camera control in the outdoor areas, and fixed angles in the indoor areas.

In the dream, I was playing the Leon scenario, chasing Ada across a zombie and monster infested Raccoon to city hall, and there was a new monster that was big, but not Gigante/Ndesu big, and kinda looked like a zombie triceratops.

I'm not saying I actually want the RE2 remake to be like that, or for an RE2/RE3 combined remake, but I'd kill for an open world Resident Evil game, set in Raccoon City.

September 5, 2017 at 6:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Bandage131 at September 5, 2017 at 6:27 PM

Some time ago, and I posted this on Biohaze back when it happened, I had this dream where I was playing the RE2 remake, but it was a combined RE2/RE3 remake, split among scenarios, completely open world. It was an interesting mix of third person camera control in the outdoor areas, and fixed angles in the indoor areas.

In the dream, I was playing the Leon scenario, chasing Ada across a zombie and monster infested Raccoon to city hall, and there was a new monster that was big, but not Gigante/Ndesu big, and kinda looked like a zombie triceratops.

I'm not saying I actually want the RE2 remake to be like that, or for an RE2/RE3 combined remake, but I'd kill for an open world Resident Evil game, set in Raccoon City.

Get out my f**king dream man, that's just creepy! ;)

We were discussing this very scenario during the recording last night of a Raccoon City focused episode of the Project Umbrella.net Podcast ; an open world type Outbreak game with further areas to explore in as non-linear scenario as possible. Resident Evil 3 does a great job in feeling like its far more exploratory than the linear borefest Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5, but it does actually steer you the player in a more linear path than is felt with narrow streets that mimick the corridors of the RPD & Spencer Mansion, acting as a funneling system to steer you down a specific route, and the wreckage of vehicles & locked/barred doors limiting the amount of exploration viably available.

There is so much potential in Raccoon City and with the history of this series to provide a wealth of narrative and gameplay missions to fill an enormous open world game the size of SKYRIM, if Capcom was that ambitous...

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

September 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

That's about the only type of game Resident Evil has yet to branch into, and a game set during an outbreak, it doesn't need to be Raccoon City (though I think every fan would be more involved if it was), but an outbreak in a city, completely open world. I guess you could say Capcom used that idea for Dead Rising, and maybe that's why they haven't done it yet, but it's a door yet to open for the franchise, and I'll be interested when they finally do.

September 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.