CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > How the X-Virus works

USS Command
Administrator

So for a long time now, I've be doing private research on the X-Virus from Resident Evil Fire and Ice. I wanted to figure out what COULD make the X-Virus work. Now I'm no chemist, scientists, biologist, or anything like that, if I’m wrong, oh well I’m wrong. But through my research, and my understanding, this seems like the possible solution in explaining how the X-Virus, at least in part, works. Also, before anyone thinks “There’s no way the writers for a shitty comic thought this in depth.” I’m not saying they did. I just wanted to see if X-Virus could work with real science in some way. As a refresher or to inform those who don’t know, the X-Virus is from Resident Evil Fire and Ice, a comic I read during my grade school years. The virus is design to augment the natural fighting ability of BOWs infected with it. It also, boost strength and ferocity, like standard t and G-Virus BOWs.

So what’s in the X-Virus? And what causes it to do what it does? Well as of right now, I believe the X-Virus has something to do with Xenon. You see, Xenon induces a robust cardioprotection, basically protecting heart muscle, and neuroprotection, the preservation of neuron structure and or functions. Considering that weak spots for BOWs are normally brains and hearts, this already seems like a good idea to use to augment BOWs. Plus, with heavy mutations, being able to preserve the neuronal structure in some way should help with training BOWs and them utilizing weapons and or tactics, if my understanding is correct.

Also, Xenon mixed with Oxygen can be inhaled to produce HIF-1-alpha, which can lead to the production of erythropoietin which will then lead to an increase of Red Blood Cells. Considering the mutation and rapid growth of BOWs in such a short time, production of more RBCs should help the BOW stay healthy, after all they are living creatures. Also, HIF-1-alpha can help in repair and regeneration of tissue in some mammals, and while it’s a recent discovery, we know the world of Resident Evil isn’t 100% accurate to our own so I say it can be considered as well. But it’s still a damn good thing for a BOW to have, depending on which side you’re on obviously.

Also, one of the symptoms of X-Virus infection is a burning sensation within the head. Another symptom seems to be black eyes with white pulps/iris. However we ONLY get a good look at Patrick’s eyes, who shows this symptom. The comic notes that the X-Virus MAY be reacting to the G-Virus he was exposed to back in Raccoon City. While the eyes look black for Rosa, the other infected individual, the comic art style has black shades around most characters eyes. (Not sure how to explain this, but if you read it, you get what I mean.) So I’ve chosen to ignore this bit of information, passing it off as just something to do with Patrick’s G-Virus.

So how can I explain that burning sensation? Well Xenon can pass through the Blood Brain Barrier, so perhaps whatever it is mixed with, I assume t-Virus, can pass through along with the Xenon. Now the human brain can’t actually feel anything, so the burning may just be the outside of the skull feeling the effects of the mutation or something like that.

So there we have it, I believe the X-Virus has something to do with Xenon, as the good effects that Xenon has could easily be utilized to augment BOWs. Now let’s go through some extra details that, to me, help make this a possibility. In the comic, when Patrick and Rosa see the surgery tables, there’s some interesting little valves on them as well as pressure gauges. Behind them are big containers with tubes running from them to the tables and elsewhere. It’s possible that the containers hold pressurized gas form of t-Virus and Xenon which would mix, thus making the X-Virus. Also, if you somehow haven’t notice, Xenon starts with an X.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

August 23, 2017 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

What's fire and ice?, never heard of that game

--

August 24, 2017 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

So after talking to BSAArkley, and explaining another part of this theory to him, a part that I chose not to include due to feeling it was a digression, I’ve chosen to share it here and on our Facebook page. 

In the comic, Fire and Ice, it’s mentioned that X-Infected Umbrella Soldiers, despite the augmentations of the X-Virus, still couldn’t handle the BOWs and where killed. Dr. Dexter Whitlam planned on using Patrick and Rosa as superior soldiers due to their vast experience in fighting BOWs, due to both being survivors of Raccoon City. The thing to note here is, both Patrick and Rosa mutate after prolonged exposure to the X-Virus. BUT, the X-Infected Umbrella Soldiers did not show any signs of mutation. Why? Well I believe it has something to do with the antidote given to Rosa at the end of the comic. When she gets injected, she turns back into a human. The antidote gets a name, it’s only mentioned once, so it can be missed. The name is "Biohazard Virus." So the antidote is a virus. I believe that the Biohazard Virus is to X-Virus, what DEVIL is to G-Virus. Basically, it turns you into a X Human like how Sherry was turned into a G Human.

So as I’ve stated already, I’m not saying I believe the writers did this much research. But it’s possible that they did, as the stuff with Xenon fits perfect for augmenting BOWs and the Biohazard Virus is the only way to explain the lack of mutation on the X-Infected Soldiers. So who really knows? All we know is that a sequel was planned, written/outlined and ultimately cancelled.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

August 26, 2017 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

So I have to admit your theory make's complete sense. Do I think you may be giving them abit too much credit? Possibly. Although it is not out of the realm of possibility that they would gather background materials and base the X-Virus on real scientific knowledge. Your theory is sound and fits nicley my problem is their execution of it.

So Dr Whitlam builds this virus up to be the superior virus to that of G. It basically ehances on everything G did. Dr Whitlam builds up this mutation that Rosa and Patrick will suffer from however when the time comes there is no flesh ripping, gore induced, eye ball popping mutation. They basically turn into short, fat, bald, ginger hulks. Also considering they are G infected X-Virus enhanced BOW's Patrick goes down to a headshot? Birkin would have barley flinched if shot in the head. Just poor execution of the X-Virus and it came across extremley underwhelming to me.

As far as the comic goes. Within the first four pages pretty much everything was a contradiciton to the canon. G-Virus was the main virus to infected Raccoon City and its citizens? Charlie STARS unit in Colorado? I think not. STARS is a Raccoon City exclusive, there is no other STARS unit. These are just a few things that are incorrect regarding the canon.

Who is too blame for this? Most people seem to think that it is the fault of the third party. SD Perry, Slant Six, Wildstorm. Most people like to think "They should do their research." To that I disagree. There is a reason that when Capcom send out Resident Evi to a third party, that they still play a role in overlooking what is going into the project. Capcom overlooks the work, see's the inconsistencys and basically says "Close enough." You cannot expect these third parties to be buying and translating every single book that Capcom has published. You also cannot expect Capcom to tell these third parties all their deepest darkest secerets. However when over looking a project Capcom should be telling them "Wildstorm, The main virus to leak and cause the outbreak in Raccon City was T-Virus not G." Is that really so difficult? Same goes for the errors in any third party project that they have out sourced. What is even the point of having this Capcom overseer if they aren't going to correct these errors? Also their input is useless, so many times have I heard from these third parties "Well their input with us was, dont touch on this, this or this and here have some concept art." Thats their input! I feel sorry for these third parties, I have to be honest. Look at the fans, 20 years later and there is STILL content out there that has ever been translated. But everyone expects the likes of SD Perry, Slant Six and Wildstorm to just get it right. What's even worse is these Wildstorm comics and SD Perry were written in 1998! There was no Project Umbrella, im not even sure there was a Wiki. But yeah they should have paid a fortune to purchase all of Capcom's guide books and get them translated just because the person at Capcom who is overseeing the project could not be arsed with correcting them.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

August 26, 2017 at 4:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator
Completely agree. That's why I'm so lenient on the stories from third parties. They work with what they got and had. And while it's not perfect, its still has alot of good things to analyze and enjoy. Just wished more people would realize that.
--

August 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.