CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Resident Evil 7 reviews

BSAArklay

So let me begin by saying to everyone I have spoken to or have heard me talk about this game let me clear things up here. I do not hate RE7. I just don’t think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Coming off of the back of games such as RE6 and Umbrella Corps and even 4 and 5 for a lot of people I can understand why people would enjoy this title. There are positives with RE7 and it is a step in the right direction. However there is a step in the right direction and there is a complete comeback. RE7 in my eyes is a step, nowhere near a comeback. 10/10? As good as remake? Personally I think that’s a bit farfetched. As well as this would you be happy with at least another three titles like RE7? The rule of three seems to be Capcom’s pattern when it comes to the main series. If Resident Evil continues until RE9 then we are looking at games almost identical to RE7.

Let me begin with the games launch. So as many people probably are aware of or have experienced themselves this game had a bit of a cluster fuck launch. Between deluxe editions being damaged and recalled in the post causing people who PRE ORDERED the game only now receiving their copies. To the game being practically sold out due to small amounts of copies being sent to retail stores. Capcom’s reasoning? They over manufactured RE6 physical copies and two months after launch they had to drop the price because they had so many copies made just sitting in bulk gathering dust. So by not manufacturing too many copies they could save the loss of having to drop the price and pretty much print on demand. Smart on their part, but is this fair on the fans? Absolutely not. As well as all of this as little as one week after launch PS4 users can purchase story DLC. So clearly this was made and held back just to make an extra buck and as a UK resident £8 was a pricey DLC in my opinion. Especially when what I got was total crap but I will get onto this later.

Capcom decided since it is first person and Ethan is a new character they thought the player would relate with him and enthral themselves into what he is going through. It is a good idea but I think it would take a lot more than what they gave us to pull something like this off. Things like character choices and dialogue options would be a good way to pull this off and we saw both on one occasion and both were pointless and stupid. The fact that anyone would choose Zoe over their wife baffles me. The whole purpose of the game and Ethan’s drive is to save Mia and then when you get the opportunity just change your mind and pick a random you met only hours ago. Also when you consider the overall plot of the game it is very silly and on paper sounds like a bad joke. A little BOW girl is looking for a family. This is what we have come to?

The main story links this game does have seem to be either possible links or unexplained links. For instance the Umbrella Corps link. We know they are in the game but how did they become involved? Are they the manufactures of Eveline? If not how did they know a rival company had created her? When did they find out? What are their intentions? So many questions so little answers. Will we get these answers or when the next RE game drops will they have decided to go another direction? Yes I understand we cannot expect all the answers and the fact that we don’t get these answers for this particular subject is one of my favourite things about the game however I am very wary that we may not get any answers or the ones we do get may be totally irrelevant. However the Redfield situation is a whole other story. Personally I feel like it is a bit of a dirty tactic. Luckily I don’t really care who it is. I would like for them to be relevant is all and for god’s sake have good reasoning.

If it is Chris then why is he working for a corporation who seem (Thank to Umbrella Corps the game) to have bad intentions however unconfirmed. What happened to him to have such a drastic change of heart, is he under some sort of influence like P30, another E Series BOW or simply a clone. Whatever it is I hope the answers we get make sense. Hunk seems to be a popular theory and my least favourite simply due to the fact that 19 years prior to RE7 he was running around Raccoon City like a veteran soldier surviving impossible situations which would make him a teenager at the time. The final character I can think of which makes the most sense to me is Agent 3A-7. The protagonist from Umbrella Corps. The odds he is working with Umbrella Corps are extremely likely, we know he is a mercenary and his uniform is very similar. All things that make him a prime suspect.

Let’s not forget the Bakers. Jack who I found to be a great character was the driving force early on in the game. His relentless stalking was quite intimidating on my first play through. Marguerite had a hilarious potty mouth and was downright creepy and disgusting. Lucas was a nut job and an interesting character who I am glad managed to get away. Not every villain has to die. Maybe DLC will rectify that however. Zoe was just kind of there. Would the game be any different had she been removed? Even her fate given you choose her was pointless. I think she was just a plot device so you could find a serum. Baker’s fate was a sad one and the blame was shifted away from them towards Eveline. Both versions of Eveline were good characters, the old woman was a lot more creepy especially with her random appearances. The hallucinations could have been a bit better IMO, I feel like they should have been more disturbing. Her fate was also one of tragedy even if her intentions were bad Eveline was created by the organisation so really the blame reflects to them. Obviously a bad organisation with bad intentions and no regret or sympathy. They truly are Umbrella. I hope we get more and more from them. Please do not ignore or resolve this story anytime soon.

The exploration, item management and hub areas are by far some of my favourite moments in the game. I would say searching the main house was the best part of the game for me. At one point I actually felt like I was playing a Resident Evil game and it gave me such a sense of nostalgia it was something I never expected to feel from a new RE title ever again. Using an item box, storing items and managing your inventory was such an excellent buzz. It is such a small thing but adds so much to the game, it is up there with fixed cameras, tank controls and environment descriptions. I did enjoy fighting against the molded a hell of a lot more than any of the boss fights. The way they spawned from the wall was an excellent addition and a great way to keep you on edge.

Regarding the length of the game, somehow and I don’t understand but some people had easily more than 10 hours out of it which baffles me. Even on my first play through I took my sweet time and checked all areas, collected most items and even had the majority of collectables. I finished in 7 hour 50 mins. Second play through 6 hours and third 2 hours 45 mins. Is this a massive deal breaker for me? No but it is certainly not a positive. The aiming was a bit off for me, I am not a FPS kind of person but I have played enough to know it doesn’t run as smoothly as other games especially triple A titles. The graphics are ok I have seen better from games that came out a year ago (Until Dawn) but I don’t really give two shits about graphics, they were still impressive and that’s all I want.

The soundtrack seems to be almost ambient noises mainly. Over 80 tracks on the OST and I have found a few which I enjoy but none that I adore. There are a few nostalgic tracks which have the Resident Evil vibe but whenever this applies they seem to be only 20 seconds long which is so disappointing. The boss battles. With the exception of Marguerites greenhouse battle I thought they were seriously underwhelming or corny as hell. Garage and chainsaw corny spoof battles straight out of bad horror movies. Jack driving the car has to be up there with some of the most cringe worthy moments in the series. The end boss….seriously does anyone have something good to say about it? Straight RE6 final Carla boss fight rip off. It was shit then and it’s still shit now.

I was surprised there was no button to control the flashlight, some areas are very dark and I would have liked to investigate but couldn’t. The replay value of the game is minimal. Only to replay on a different difficulty or getting all the trophies. I finished three times and see no reason to play it anymore. I am that bored of it. Even RE6 I managed to get all trophies before shelving. Being a horror veteran atmosphere and tension is a hard thing for me to tap into nowadays so I can’t really judge the game too much for this but I only felt a few moments of tension literally less than a minute. Never really panicked and definitely never scared/creeped out. I did jump twice however I said I am a horror veteran I didn’t say I had nerves of steel. When you hear a loud noise you can’t help but react.

The save tapes being exclusive to Mad House only was a real disappointment. The tape recorder becomes nothing but a save button. You may as well just pause the game and hit save. I would have enjoyed using the tapes to save the game on normal and not having to endure Mad House every time I wish to experience so. The puzzles are average not too hard but sometimes made you think However on a second play through they are very simple and you can even cut corners. Nothing like the water treatment puzzle from RE3. The upgrades are minimal, I really could not believe only three items available and also I hate it when games reset your upgrades. Take the weapons and ammo back I don’t care but I worked hard to get those upgrades it’s annoying to reset them but also I have to get them every damn time if I want the best character stats. How’s about a speed upgrade?? Seriously the healing animation takes an eternity and the running is no good especially against Jack and the four legged molded. Lack of room’s to explore was another problem, so many keys to collect with so few locked doors. Each key only opened a maximum of two doors.

Another moment which I truly enjoyed was in the files and the mention of HCF which was a jaw dropping moment. The R&D reports were informative but I have problems with. Also some nice files regarding the bakers but I wanted more. Something that annoyed me a great deal is the censoring of words in the files. Much like the Redfield gimmick this is such a cheap ploy and way of getting people interested in the series without having to do a whole lot. Let’s blank out a name and get people talking. Now Capcom have you by the short and curlys they can put whatever they want in there whenever they want. The files are also contradictory. From the main game the names list of people the Bakers kidnapped is missing names given in other files such as Helen Midkiff from the Alyssa Report her name is not on the Baker’s list and there are others. The DLC time discrepancy is the biggest cock up in this whole game and probably one of the biggest I can think of. Sure there are other inconsistencies like the Wesker Report things but this is from a game they JUST made. It contradicts itself! Not some game that was made ten years ago. This rocks my faith when it comes to Remake2. If they can mess up RE7 by contradicting….RE7. What hope is there that Remake2 won’t be littered with inconsistencies and retcons.

I mentioned this in another topic so I will keep it brief, the timeline is miniscule. When compared to RE5 it’s like a book vs the back of a cereal box. Nothing in the menu either. Why not add a function so you can re-read the files? View or purchase figurines? Nothing!

So to sum up this review RE7 had moments of glory, a whole lot of average and its fair share of negatives. The story was not gripping for me, the gameplay was unimpressive and the horror was uninspired. Like I said the game had its moments and at one point I did feel the nostalgia but it was gone the second play through. The reason I may be coming down so hard on this game is simple. For such a long time I held onto hope that one day this series would return to its roots, its greatness. I imagined one day playing a game similar to that of Remake or anything pre RE4. If this game didn’t have the reputation of being this EPIC return to the golden era I probably would take it a bit easier on the game but since Capcom and a lot of fans feel this is the return to glory I have to address that and say it certainly is not, not for me. If this is as good as it gets now. God thats depressing.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 6, 2017 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

IGN gave this game a 7.7, Time 2.5/5(since when they review games, haha), so not everyone is blind :). Make no mistake this is not a good game, at best i would call it an 'okay' generic steam horror game, you know, the cheap, short, often psychological(i.e no monsters or anything that would cost money to produce) kind.

The atmosphere and the gameplay are nice, i like the world they built, and the gameplay is nice, if generic horror gameplay game that screams "indy", there's nothing groundbreaking or truly scary here but i guess there's nothing insulting either, but if you played and watched lots of horror you know that there are better things out there in these areas.

Now the bad parts..

The story: Yes i know this is Resident Evil and not Hamlet or Silent Hill 2 but the story here is easily the worst RE story ever and that's saying a LOT considering how dumb some of the other games are(6..). I play RE mostly for the story and it fails...up is down and left is right:

Mia: she's your wife and you love her and want to save her and she sends you that tape..(Silent Hill 2?) but turns out she works for a shady organization creating weapons of DEATH(!!). So should i like her?, should i hate her?...should i even care?.

The bakers: The scene where you find out they are good people killed them for me, i don't care about them one bit now.  You see in the past we had proper villains like Alexia Ashford. She had a tragic side to her, sure, but she also had a maniacal, truly evil, truly ambitious and powerful side to her, and the game is unapologetic about it!, so we never pity her and feel "ohh poor Alexia" because she's so good at being a strong and efficent villain. When it comes down to it  the bakers are a bunch of loveable kind hearted rednecks(Maybe not you, Lucas) that got turned into monsters because of some random evil organization, Capcom are saying "Sorry we made a bunch of evil people, here's a feel good redemption moment for everyone!" LAME!

Eveline: Haha okay, first off she's not even human...just a random b.o.w so for me that's "meh" right there, i can relate to humans like Alexia, Wesker, even that dumbass simmons from RE6 but why should i feel anything if it's just a B.O.W?. Then we find out some evil random organization created her and wants to sell her as a weapon(dumb as fuck story fact 31#) but guess what.. she's not evil too,  she's just a b.o.w that wants to have her own little family but loses her mind because she doesn't take her injections.....poor Eveline :(:(..but..one question though:

What the FUCK is this?...where is the EVIL and HUMAN DRAMA that made Resident EVIL great?....so like the good guys could be evil, the villains are actually good, pitiful and naive, and the main villain here is some random organization who we never see ...like REALLY?, why should we care about any of this?...proper heroes, villains?..not in this game. It just feels like a Resident Evil side story where nothing actually happens and the whole point is to create a foundation for later games, but i paid good money for this game..

Boss battles : Yeah  you can say what you want about RE5 AND RE6 but they had great, epic boss battles (not to mention RE4 and CV ) here it's even worse than revelations, nothing really feels like an epic boss battle and then we got.. that..my god... "final battle"...lazy, not epic, unimaginative, generic, awful, is this RESIDENT EVIL? or a random steam indy horror game?????.

Soundtrack: Indy horror game anyone?, it sounds so generic and formulatic, we had great OST in the past but i don't think even the most hardcore RE fans would put any of the tracks from this game on thier playlists. There are what 80 tracks?..they could produce 800 tracks too but when maybe 2 of out them are any good what's the point?.

Redfield: Instead of talking about the game, people go crazy about some random guy in the ending that says like two words...maybe that's because the game is so forgettable you don't give a shit about what happend two seconds after you finish the game. Come on people..you just paid 60$ for a clusterfuck and you go "omg wow!" over a cheap plot device?...

Cheap, generic, formulatic, that's RE7

February 7, 2017 at 3:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Naveed

Have ended re7 in all difficulties, I loved the gameplay up till boat house. Mia part and salt mines are not on par with rest of the game. Mia ship tape is totally useless if we are replaying the game. No matter what ever player does it does not impacts current Mia game. If you leave a lock box open but do not take items, they still do not appear in present mia game. Even if player leaves the locked boxes they are still open in present time. Ammo and items do not carry over from mia tape. I don't know why capcom made it mandatory to play tape in replay. Item management is great made me feel like I was playing classic game.

There is also strategy involved in type of weapons to use on enemies. Like fat molded go down easily with neuro rounds and flame sprayer works great on four legged molded. Mixing bullets with gunpowder gives enhanced bullets but 5 less than strong chemical. Healing is made quick by pressing block right after pressing healing button. Re7 enemy variety is really bad. I wish it had 3 to 4 more types of enemies. Humanoid molded and four legged molded, jack and Marguerite, and insects. It really needed more enemies. I really hate background in re7. Few rooms and still books are repeated again and again.

Furniture and other items are also constantly repeated. My first run was 13 hours because I was checking everything in background which was waste of time. Background is most of the time is same. Hail Cesar book every where. First area of the game is extremely useless where player fights Mia. Its a prologue but we still have to play it again and again. Nobody want's to play tutorial stage again. And why does only coin gets carries over from first part if the game, other items do not. Other items should also carry over. Some of the design choices are so wierd. How come M19 handgun holds 7 bullets and g17 10 bullets. M19 is powerful fires fast but not actually worth using if playing in normal. I always ditch my handgun after leaving main house. Only use flame spray in old house. Against Marguerite boss fight I used flame sprayer, grenade launcher, magnum and shotgun if only I run out of ammo. In testing area we have to use handgun for bombs but any handgun could work. I like 2 barrel shotgun and grenade launcher fantastic weapons.

Story is really bad. I have so many questions rather than answers. I am really waiting for podcast. Want to hear what you guys think.

February 12, 2017 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

I am going to add my piece now as I don't think I covered everything in the podcast. Not like I wanted to anyway. For the record I don't HATE RE7. Hate is a very strong word. Did I have problems with it? Yes. Do I have criticisms of it? Yes. Let me start off by saying that nostalgia is a witch. She can trick you two different ways. The first one - and most prevalent - is the one we are all most familiar. Nostalgia can trick your brain into remembering something to be better than it actually was. The one we are less familiar with is when something contains elements of nostalgia that make us think something is better than it is.

RE7 hit every trope of the RE series. The puzzles themselves, the unlock-able doors, all had previous B.O.W. as their theme. The snake, the crow, the cerberus. Marguerite's bees. The books written by previous games characters. The newspaper article written by a former character. The sounds of Lucas's keypad. The memo reno for Trevor & Chamberlain Construction. It is very reasonable to assume that Trevor being a famous architect in the series would have also owned a construction company. That company may still be in business, at least up until the 90s, per the memo. The dates paid tribute to he and his family's tragic end. Nov. 10th being the day that Lisa and Jessica were injected with variants of the progenitor virus. And Nov. 30th being the supposed date of Trevor's death, which is still debatable to this day. But you all get the idea.

Then we add in all the tropes from the last 40 years of horror cinema. We've got Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead as the most recognizable. The moulded reminded me of the tar man from Return of the Living Dead. Anyone else remember that guy? It was a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in a bit of new. Their weapon of choice? A mold or fungus. Something that can be manufactured in nature by Rye. Ergot poisoning, but in the form of a creepy little girl (The Ring). To me this all suggests desperation. To rely too heavily on what came before because they really don't know how to move forward. I saw RE7 as a sort of reboot. A testing of the waters to judge what works and what doesn't in an effort TO move forward in future installments. This is where the fans come in that did like it so very much. Am I upset that some of you really, really like it? No, because even those that like it have their criticisms too. This will give Capcom an idea of where they need to go from here. To judge RE7 and say it's perfect and they are back on track is a bit premature. It's rather like putting all your eggs in one basket. Not wise. Let's see where they go from here.

To get a better grasp of why I am so judgmental let me say that the only game in the series to get a 10/10 out of me was REmake. Even if graphics continue to evolve and get better over time, I think REmake will still be a beautiful game. The thing that caused me the most tension were the one-hit enemies. You've got the Hunter's with their one swipe decapitation. And the shark. There was never a flesh wound you could walk off by a shark. If it got you, you were dead. So when you had to walk in the water around it to pick up the key after you electrocuted it - I was so afraid it was going to leap up and devour me. This was missing in RE7. Yeah it was creepy, but there was no imminent one hit enemies and you're dead. Or maybe I'm just a really good player. I was annoyed by boss fights at their length, not afraid. Some sited that Eveline's singing and appearing out of nowhere was creepy, I knew it was psychological party tricks and I was cracking wise the whole time.

I think RE7 may be on the road home, but they have many more miles to go. It was just a bit too trope-y for me. This seems to be the current trend for everything. And as long as people keep giving it a hint of respectability - they'll keep doing it. Maybe that is fine with all of you, but it is not with me. I expect more. RE started out doing what no one else was doing and to a level that no one else was achieving. And THAT is what I expect from them. You can state their new graphics and their new engine. Yes, it's very pretty, but all that glitters is not gold.

In closing I would like to say that I STILL love RE and I still love all of you loyal fans of the series.

February 13, 2017 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

CC at February 13, 2017 at 1:01 PM

I am going to add my piece now as I don't think I covered everything in the podcast. Not like I wanted to anyway. For the record I don't HATE RE7. Hate is a very strong word. Did I have problems with it? Yes. Do I have criticisms of it? Yes. Let me start off by saying that nostalgia is a witch. She can trick you two different ways. The first one - and most prevalent - is the one we are all most familiar. Nostalgia can trick your brain into remembering something to be better than it actually was. The one we are less familiar with is when something contains elements of nostalgia that make us think something is better than it is. RE7 hit every trope of the RE series. The puzzles themselves, the unlock-able doors, all had previous B.O.W. as their theme. The snake, the crow, the cerberus. Marguerite's bees. The books written by previous games characters. The newspaper article written by a former character. The sounds of Lucas's keypad. The memo reno for Trevor & Chamberlain Construction. It is very reasonable to assume that Trevor being a famous architect in the series would have also owned a construction company. That company may still be in business, at least up until the 90s, per the memo. The dates paid tribute to he and his family's tragic end. Nov. 10th being the day that Lisa and Jessica were injected with variants of the progenitor virus. And Nov. 30th being the supposed date of Trevor's death, which is still debatable to this day. But you all get the idea. Then we add in all the tropes from the last 40 years of horror cinema. We've got Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead as the most recognizable. The moulded reminded me of the tar man from Return of the Living Dead. Anyone else remember that guy? It was a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in a bit of new. Their weapon of choice? A mold or fungus. Something that can be manufactured in nature by Rye. Ergot poisoning, but in the form of a creepy little girl (The Ring). To me this all suggests desperation. To rely too heavily on what came before because they really don't know how to move forward. I saw RE7 as a sort of reboot. A testing of the waters to judge what works and what doesn't in an effort TO move forward in future installments. This is where the fans come in that did like it so very much. Am I upset that some of you really, really like it? No, because even those that like it have their criticisms too. This will give Capcom an idea of where they need to go from here. To judge RE7 and say it's perfect and they are back on track is a bit premature. It's rather like putting all your eggs in one basket. Not wise. Let's see where they go from here.

To get a better grasp of why I am so judgmental let me say that the only game in the series to get a 10/10 out of me was REmake. Even if graphics continue to evolve and get better over time, I think REmake will still be a beautiful game. The thing that caused me the most tension were the one-hit enemies. You've got the Hunter's with their one swipe decapitation. And the shark. There was never a flesh wound you could walk off by a shark. If it got you, you were dead. So when you had to walk in the water around it to pick up the key after you electrocuted it - I was so afraid it was going to leap up and devour me. This was missing in RE7. Yeah it was creepy, but there was no imminent one hit enemies and you're dead. Or maybe I'm just a really good player. I was annoyed by boss fights at their length, not afraid. Some sited that Eveline's singing and appearing out of nowhere was creepy, I knew it was psychological party tricks and I was cracking wise the whole time.

I think RE7 may be on the road home, but they have many more miles to go. It was just a bit too trope-y for me. This seems to be the current trend for everything. And as long as people keep giving it a hint of respectability - they'll keep doing it. Maybe that is fine with all of you, but it is not with me. I expect more. RE started out doing what no one else was doing and to a level that no one else was achieving. And THAT is what I expect from them. You can state their new graphics and their new engine. Yes, it's very pretty, but all that glitters is not gold.

In closing I would like to say that I STILL love RE and I still love all of you loyal fans of the series.

I agree with you, it's cheap scares,  cheap storytelling techniques all the way. They threw everything they could think of into the mix and stirred it. If you haven't played or watched anything horror related in the past 20 years i guess you'll like it but otherwise? ...:)

So it's GT saying they are back on track and it's a good horror game?..can't wait for the podcast then, it'll take much more than a charming British accent to sell that idea though :)

February 13, 2017 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Up to my eyes in editing, sorry guys it's taking too long to get our RE7 group review & podcast out, but it will be in the next couple of days. Our Husky puppy eating the internet did'nt help, well she ate the wires providing it so I'm slightly behind with the work. Untill then here is my review, which can we be clear here please residents, is made after a decade of Resident Evil starvation; unlike CrimsonElder, Call of Duty with zombies doesn't satisfy my survival horror starvation.

My quick review = even a shit sandwhich tastes nice when you've not eaten shit (pardon the pun) for a decade.

My long review = It's better than RE4 in every category worth gauging for video games except enemy design. It's only bettered by Resident Evil 1,2,3, CVX. It's better than the Chronicles series, it's better than the Revelations series. Better in gameplay satisfaction, level & environment design, atmosphere, gamer tension, re-playability, and gameplay mechanics. I fucking love Dead Aim, would give it an 8/10 and it shares many features and aspects with RE7 of how to present survival horror in a more developed way than with fixed camera + full 3rd person perspective; which is what RE7 does so well and why I adore it as much as Dead Aim, and as with Dead Aim it is not perfect, which is why I would give it 8/10.

These are not cheap scares; the're genuine to me, and clearly from a glance at the internet when my Husky aint eating it, thousands of gamers agree, and significantly far more than those that don't. As too the critical press, who universally have praised the many worthy improvements to the series RE7 has dragged back to it. Improvements to the atmosphere - we now have a fucking tense, forboding tension that builds with an intelligent pace, clearly thought through by the developer. The stripped back inventory, health & weapon mechanics help this enormously as unlike that garbage RE5 the atmosphere takes centre stage not the weaponry.

RE7 detractors seem to have a hard time distinguishing considered & tempered praise for a game worthy of such, which is by no means perfect, from unadoltarated gushing. Nobody said this was better than REmake. It's just scarier and less generic. Yeah I said it, what ya saying?

Thank you Capcom for dumping the dead enemy ammo drops, their presence so responsible for destroying a survival horror atmosphere, not surprising they were so prevalent in the hideous RE5. Thank you Capcom for bringing back item boxes and save rooms, they in themselves create a gameplay mechanic inspiring exploration, something we've been so starved of with the linear stupidity that is RE4/5/6.

RE7 is  reliance on atmosphere over explosions, it's exploration over linear RE5 boredom. The molded coming out of the similar styled environment in the method of Aliens is wonderful and provides more genuine fear & tension than anything since REmake, and providing as much as Crimson Heads. Of course there are none of the RE4/5/6 mechanics to totally fucking destroy any fear & tension, like RE5's constant arsenal that rains from the fucking sky, or RE4's insultingly linear level design, or RE6's overall stupidity.

Light & dark, providing shadows & sight limitation, are all used supremely, better than any Resident Evil game in the series to date and enhances an already superior atmosphere to all but the first 3 main titled games. RE7 with a little more developer bravery and design sophistication would have been a 9/10 on a par with REmake; it just falls short on progression & variation of enemy design, boss battles which are a low-point in this game with the last being woeful in the extreme, and overall size - it's too short and the wonderful exploration coupled with puzzle design & item discovery is also too limited. But overall this is an enormously significant survival horror step so much in the right direction; dumping so much that RE5 spewed out contaminating the series with its Chuck Norris bullshit, and bringing back so much that has not been seen since Resident Evil sat at the head of the Survival Horror table...

Welcome back Godfather.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

February 13, 2017 at 6:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Sounds like you enjoyed a really good horror. You keep comparing it to RE5 so what about the story, files, timeline, characters, continuity, bow's, soundtrack, replay value, game length and unlockables? How about the DLC? LIN Vs Bedroom. LIN alone as short as it is, its a better style of Resident Evil and it doesn't even have any similarities to the old style of games. If people are contempt with cheap jump scares, boring story, minute lore, zero replay value, no unlockables, crappy soundtrack, lack of bow's, crappy boring characters and an unrelated story all for the sake of an item box and a hub then I guess we look for different things in our RE games. Like I said sounds like you enjoyed the horror elements which can be found in MANY other titles. Outlast, PT, Slenderman, Dead Space, Until Dawn, Kholat, Amnesia, Alan Wake, Fatal Frame, Penumbra, FEAR, Condemned, Evil Within, Last of us, Alien Isolation. To name a few. So you got a few scares and a sense of tension which you WILL find in any of those games I just listed. The key thing is though it need's a gripping story and RE7 doesnt have that.

The sad part is I know current Capcom can develop a decent story see RE5. So why not take RE7's gameplay impliment RE5's story and boom. An amazing game that is good all round. Nope let's half ass it and give good gameplay and leave it at that because we have spent enough time on it. I like RE5 for it's story and you like RE7 for it's gameplay. Unfortunatley gameplay means shit to me as you can tell from my liking of RE5 and numerous crappy horror titles. I would much rather gameplay like RE5 for the sake of its story. I will always sacrifice gameplay for story. Especially when it's not exactly cutting edge. Seriously go and play Outlast. A Game by an indie dev made 4 years ago and the only thing missing between it and RE7 is a gun. When you played games identical to RE7 which were made by INDIE developers for the past 4 years plus then it is very easy to see exactly how shallow and uninspired this game is. The only thing left is the story and it was piss poor. One file indiscrepancy, one mistranslation and one contradictory timestamp on a videotape. The game has only been out for two weeks for christs sake. Where are the people checking these mistakes? My god when Remake 2 comes out and Newsbot, Batman and the other hardcores get their hands on it......think of the massacre.

Also if I can quote CC with the multiple rip off's of horror movies. Evil Dead, TCM, X Files, Wrong Turn, Blair Witch, The Exorcist again to name a few. Let us not forget that this game was a cliche horror rip off which borrowed elements from pretty much all of the above titles, there is nothing cutting edge about RE7 that I have not already seen. Why are Capcom getting the credit when this style of game has been done to death. What really puzzle's me now is how you can mock Until Dawn for being cliche yet RE7 you let it fly. We could not be more opposite when it come's to what we are looking for. I didn't love Remake,2,3 and Code because of the gameplay mechanics. I came for the gameplay but I stayed....for 20 years, for the STORY.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 13, 2017 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

The game is great. The atmosphere gives Remake a run for it's money. Changing the camera to first person was a great idea and allows for the classic mechanics to come back in a beautiful way. This is the first game in the series that scared me in 15 years, it's easily the best game in the series since 5 but it does have negatives.

The story is weak and incomplete. Some files are great but many are just worthless. Ethan is just not a character, we learn absolutely nothing about him. Zoe doesn't even get a proper send off, she just vanishes and the "choice" in the game amounts to nothing. I did enjoy Mia and the Bakers but from the latter there's not enough time with them. 

The enemy variety is just not there. Even 1 has more enemy types. The game also has a very weak final boss fight. It makes Saddler look's great and that blows my mind. It does have the best and scariest enemy design in the entire series though. I bet you can guess who I'm talking about.

The game also lacks extra modes like crazy. Every game in the series since 2 always had at least one extra mode. There's no excuse here.

If I have to rank the main series, it would be like this: 5,1, 3, CV, 2, 7, REV2, 6, 4, 0, REV

February 13, 2017 at 8:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

I agree with all your negatives Vito. I really didn't feel the atmosphere though. Nowhere near akin to Remake anyway. I had moments but Remake was 10 hours of pure dread. Not moments. Had this game been a side story say Survivor 4 I probably would be singing its praises right now. However as a main integral part of the story? Unrelated plot, main characters weak, lack of bonuses btw all traits of RE spin off games. If I just based the game on its positives I would probably give it an 8 but after so many flaws that score has to drop exponentially considering the sheer number of flaws. Few positives out weighed by many MANY negatives.

If I had to rank the series. For me its very easy.

Remake, 3, 5, Code, RE1, RE2, Zero, Rev, Rev2, RE4, Darkside Chronicles, RE7, Umb Chronicles, Survivor, Dead Aim, RE6, Outbreak, Outbreak2, Mercs, Umb corps, ORC, Gaiden, Survivor 2.

--

February 13, 2017 at 9:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

To me GT it sounds like you're just happy they abandoned the whole re4/5/6 formula :)

Sure i can understand that and on a parallel earth where only Resident Evil games exist your points would make sense...maybe.. because after all you don't mention the story one bit and that's the most important part :). But on this earth we got so many games, SO MANY games that are doing what RE7 is doing in the atmosphere and gameplay department..including super low cost indie games, and they do it better...how can such cheap scares feel genuine to you GT of all people??. Plus, I just can't agree to your narrow point of view that it should only be compared to other RE games...

But okay, even if we match it just against the other re games it falls short-

RE4/5/6/REV1/2 got way better gameplay and atmosphere.  i'll use 6 as an example because it's the worst of the bunch by far and like you Brits say it's "a bloody mess". It's action oriented, yes, it's not really survival horror, true, but you know what?..it's not lazy and it's not cheap. it's a 'meh action game mixed with tiny bit of horror and all the franchise players, it's not a short game, 4 stories, got some great boss battles, some nice scenes..and lots of negatives but still you get the feeling that they tried to make a great game but failed, it can happen

RE7 on the other hand is LAZY and super cheap. Forget the blatant copy paste from every horror movie and game ever for a second, forget that the story is easily the worst out of all the RE games including RE6, and think only about the technical aspects of the game. The soundtrack is lazy and generic, even REV2 had a(way) better soundtrack . And the boss battles..hey GT you know that thing with RE where you get an epic final boss battle every game?..sure you do!,  but there's no such thing in the lazy RE7.

I'm happy that you enjoyed it and it felt good and genuine for you, after all video games are a very personal experience and if you got a good time out of it then hey, great.  But you should look at the broader picture and not give Capcom credit just for abandoning a style that you felt had no place in your RE games. Instead, try to look at the here and now and on this game as a stand alone title.

February 14, 2017 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Evil Resident

I just thought I'd jump in almost a year later and give my thoughts. I've made no secret elsewhere that I adore RE7, and it's a shame some people think 7 fans are the type to adore anything with a greater horror focus. I came into the series late, and have never been in a state where I have been dissatisfied with the series. I enjoy all the titles for what they are, from RE1 to RE6 to the many side games. So when I say RE7 is a fantastic game, I have no bias in regards to it's genre.

As a game, it excellently does that which it sets out to do - make the player feel vulnerable, but without the game feeling clunky or hard to control. The satisfaction of blowing off enemy limbs, escaping or sneaking past threats, the sense of exploration and progression, etc. The game looks beautiful. I've heard a few complaints regarding music, but the game put ambient sounds first to strengthen it's greatest asset: immersion.

Searching the photorealistic environments in first person with ominous background noise pulled me into the game more than any other title. The music it has is more deranged and horror-esque than other titles, so it is to be expected some wouldn't care for the change. The VA and written dialogue was the best in the series, sounding entirely natural and again adding to immersion. The characters, with the exception of Ethan and Chris, were portrayed extremely well. The Bakers are wonderful sympathetic villians, the likes of which I haven't seen since Lisa Trevor, and they are all oozing with personality.

As for story, people seem to forget that it was designed to feel isolated and detached to elevate the horror. You are a regular guy in a house full of horrors, not a super agent infiltrating a lab. Not all games will take this approach. Even then, the background story alone makes this far less stand alone and self contained than, say, RE6. Umbrella and the Rival Org are both back, and we finally have a main antagonist again. People also complain that RE7 raises a ton of questions without answering much of anything. Again, that's the point - for too long the series has been quick to wrap everthing up before the credits roll, with no true arc to build off of. RE7 is a beginning, while also building onto what came before. Namely, the RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles plot swept under the rug years ago. If that's not story progression, I don't know what is.

My cons for RE7 would be the common complaints of short length, small enemy variety, and scarcity of Baker encounters. I'm also not a fan of Chris' model. All in all, RE7 is currently my favorite game in my favorite series.

--
Hiding places are beyond number, and yet only one deliverance. But there are as many chances for deliverance as there are hiding places - Kafka
January 21, 2018 at 1:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Having just revisited Resident Evil 7 after an extended break, caused due to the lack of re-playability, I am struck by just how much it improves with age. With the new-game hype dust settled and the DLC train-wreck behind us, I can appreciate & rate Resident Evil 7's standing in the series with more clarity - it also helps to have played various other instalments in the series since my first playthroughs...

And so there is no doubt in my mind, from what Resident Evil 7 has had to offer in gameplay over the last few days of replay, it is the scariest instalment in the series, considerably more so than our continually lauded RE2, with the Molded by far the most horrifying base enemy the series has produced, the zombies and Ganados are emasculated by the sheer terrifying presence and challenge of the Molded. And no other game in the series offers so many genuine jump scares and moments of genuinely frightening atmosphere.

I cannot think why so many old skool RE gamers continually complain about this game's lack of survival horror, whilst nodding their heads in knowing agreement when another fan lazily regurgitates the same tired old platitudes to Resident Evil 5, a COD clone set in an ammunition landfill, illuminated in blazing sunshine. From that low point which saw the series so lost without a semblence of the gameplay that had made it such a horror classic, RE7 has progressed the series beyond my expectations. The ironic fact RE5's story was pure RE perfection, and parts (ONLY parts!) of RE7's narrative leave a lot to be desired, especiually the DLC, is lost in RE5's attrocious marauding linear slug-fest in that ammo landfill.

And those that bemoan the use of horror tropes, have conveniantly chosen to make their stand on this subject now, with RE7, yet had less to say about the 100s of games that used just the same tropes before it. There is no such thing as tropes anymore, we've gone past the point where pure originality within the same genre can occur. What matters is how these tried & tested ingrediants for a successful survival horror game are presented in as engaging way as possible. Gamers bashing RE7 with this stick would better their case with genuine & reasonable criticism.

Salt mines aside, every location in Resident Evil 7 has some of the best looking environment features and tense atmosphere this series has to offer, very much including the boat section, which cries out for Capcom to develop a Dead Aim remake! And no other instalment uses sound as intelligently & effectively as this game, reminding me that this game played in VR must be a truly unforgettable horror experience, and a genuine genre classic?

CHE residents who found too many detractions to thouroughly enjoy Resident Evil 7 as one of the best instalments in the series, I implore you to go back, revisit Dolvey, appreciate the thoughtful pace, the building tension, feel liberated from linear, episodic warfare, and immerse yourselves in a modern survival horror classic.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

March 9, 2018 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.