CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Who Are The Characters To You?

BSAArklay
Administrator

This is a summary of the characters in the series and who I think they are and where they are headed. This is of course my own interpretation and you may highly disagree and that’s cool because I would love to hear your own interpretations. Wether it be on the characters I have chosen or one you would like to add yourself.

Chris: Chris to me would obviously be a very difficult to read individual. He is without a doubt an enigma. He does not appear to have much of a social life outside of his career. It seems that his parents dying in a car crash and thrusting responsibility of his younger sister on him at such a young age cut his young lifestyle short. He was forced to adapt and grow up immediately. He thrives on taking responsibility which makes him a great leader. Perhaps the accident his parents were involved in was due to a drunk driver that caused the crash which gave Chris his initial reaction to want to fight crime. Chris seems like a man who would go out of his way to help those less fortunate than him and enjoys carrying the weight of the world on his back. He focuses too much on helping others and doesn’t take much personal time for himself. He had plenty of opportunity to bail out of the bioterrorism situation he found himself in. After the mansion incident, after bringing down Umbrella, after the death of Wesker and Spencer and most recently after the death of his team including his young apprentice Piers. I don’t think Chris would ever truly retire from a role like the B.S.A.A. he would take on a role similar to O'Brian from Revelations.

Chris is the type of man who always has to be doing something and that something revolves around bio-terrorism. Much like Alexander The Great and how he wept when there were no more enemies to defeat. I think Chris would be lost without a cause and possibly become suicidal especially after the events he has witnessed. Perhaps Chris is always on the run because he knows when he stops everything will catch up to him. I feel like there is no happy ending for Chris. Even if he were to settle down and have children I think he would turn to alcohol and medications at the drop of a hat. If perhaps Chris was to land a role similar to that of O'Brian in a corporation such as the B.S.A.A. then there is a possibility that he may be able to settle down and live somewhat of a normal life. His monologue in RE5 suggests that he is ready to quit the fight but if you take into account his actions in the games viral campaign and his actions after his memory loss in RE6 he became both suicidal and an alcoholic.

Jill: Much like Chris, Jill is also an individual who thrives on helping and needing to be a part of the fight. However due to her email in Revelations 2 and her softer side seen throughout the series I feel like Jill could potentially lead a happy life after her career ended. Perhaps being a parent would satisfy Jill enough to keep her mind active. What exactly is the case of Jill’s obsession to fight crime is unknown. Jill would also go the extra mile to save someone in distress as proven by her actions in RE3 when she could have left the city but decided to stay until the last possible moment to help out any survivors. Jill much like Chris again also gives her focus primarily to her career. She does not show much of her personality although slightly more than Chris. In Resident Evil 2 there is the photo of a man on her desk. Possibly a boyfriend. Although non canon in both The Beginning and SD Perry’s novels Jill shows an affection for children which leads me to believe someday she would like some of her own. After her incident in RE5 Jill takes a significant time away from her career to recover. This is of course understandable however if it were Chris who took Jill’s role in RE5 I don’t think the B.S.A.A. could have kept him on the side line for this amount of time.

Leon: Unlike Chris and Jill, Leon does appear to have more of a social life. In RE2 Leon arrives late to his job due to drinking the night before and arguing with his ex-girlfriend. In RE4 he tries his luck flirting with Hunnigan at the very end of the game. Degeneration he flirts with Angela and in Damnation it is confirmed he has had some sort of relationship with Ada. This does not mean Leon does not take his career seriously because he does but I don’t think it means quite as much to him as say Chris. After the events of RE2 Leon is ready to up and leave or perhaps commit suicide it is only due to the blackmail of Sherry that Leon decides to continue his role in fighting bioterrorism. Leon also seems like he is into the trends judging by his clothes and appearance. He likes to keep up with the fashion. As corny as this may sound you have to acknowledge this as him enjoying his personal life and consider that Leon would enjoy his time away from work. Perhaps taking holidays or going to a football game whereas Chris would spend his day off training, at a shooting range or studying a case. I don’t think Leon would have a difficult time stepping away from his career. He may have a difficult time keeping one woman around however.

Claire: Perhaps the most down to earth of the characters so far Claire seems like she has good values and is more in touch with her own reality. Granted she still plays a role in bioterrorism but she has already taken a back seat and focuses on helping people rather than on the frontline like her brother. It almost seems to me like Claire’s actions are largely focused on pleasing her older brother and that is of no surprise due to Chris being a father figure due to the loss of her parents. I think given the right situation (a partner and a child) Claire could easily give up the fight and would cherish those around her. However due to Claire’s flirtation with both Neil and Downing she is not a very good judge of character when it comes to men. Claire is naïve and trustworthy to her own fault. Given the right man she could live a happy life but her decisions so far have not been great let’s be honest. There is also Steve who ended up trying to kill her and I am pretty sure Claire is portrayed as somewhat of a party girl pre RE2. Spending time with college guys. She does however show affection for children obviously and with or without a man in her life as soon as Claire has a child of her own she will have no problem retiring from her line of duty.

Ada: Very difficult character to read but here is what I think. Ada seems like she has had a major betrayal in her life perhaps a parent who abandoned her. Much like Chris I don’t see much of a life outside her career. Granted she has a relationship with Leon however I don’t think she would let her guard down anytime soon. Ada does not appear to be the type of woman who would retire and have a happy family driving the kids to school. The fact that she could fake the emotion of love and convince John (RE1) she had feelings for him tells me Ada is a very shallow individual who is probably incapable of love. Very similar to Dexter the TV show and how he leads a double life with his family. I think Ada would know how to portray a front but she would never truly experience those emotions. Ada’s life has been a constant barrage of lies, deceit and probably paranoia. The fact that most of her missions include her lying to dangerous individuals and being on the brink of being found out takes an extremely calm mind or someone who doesn’t feel much inside. I don’t see where Ada could go after her retirement. I don’t think she will ever truly be happy.

Barry: Barry is a family man who had good values and a warm heart. He is the most sensitive of the male individuals in the series and perhaps the most sympathetic. He seems like a guy who got caught up in this and really shouldn’t be there. Unlike Chris who is perfect for this type of role. I think Barry still feels guilt for his betrayal in RE1 and the only reason he is still involved is to make it up to not only Chris and Jill but he probably feel’s responsible for the death of the other S.T.A.R.S. members. The fact that Barry had a poor relationship with Moira really surprised me because I felt like he would have great relationships with his children. The mansion incident probably affected him the most out of the survivors and ever since he has had a chip on his shoulder. Taking this home to his personal life and affecting his relationships with his wife and children. Possibly even causing a divorce as there is no mention of Barry’s wife in Revelations 2. I think a part of Barry died during the mansion incident. He has become somewhat of a lost soul.

Rebecca: Very similar character to Claire and perhaps why Chris feel’s such an affiliation. Rebecca seems like someone who would enjoy the easy life and given the right situation Rebecca would be happy to walk away. It kind of surprises me how she is the same character after all this time because I thought she would have walked away unless she had a reason to continue to fight. Perhaps she does and we don’t know it yet but she does not strike me as the kind of character that needs to be involved. Granted her role in bioterrorism is smaller than say Chris and Jill but it still surprises me. The fact that she was undercover as a teacher now that seems like a career that would fit her. I would need to see more from Rebecca so I am looking forward to some information in Vendetta and seeing her personality.

Albert Wesker: A very confusing character for me and also a lost soul. Wesker was fascinated in gaining power and money or so he thought. What he really wanted was adoration and the affection for a void that could never be filled. Wesker went the majority of his life thinking he was chasing a goal of ‘becoming a god’ but what he was really chasing was the knowledge of knowing who was his creator. The moment he found this out from Spencer what was left of Albert died inside. I think Albert wanted the world to suffer for the life he was given and after killing his creator he had nothing left to lose. Sort of a lost dog looking for its owner and not interested in anything else. Which is why him fathering a child is a massive shock. Perhaps had he known of his child and a sister Albert may not have reacted in the manner he did after his revelation with Spencer. Although I personally doubt it would have made a difference.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

December 1, 2016 at 9:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator
This was a very nice read. I find my self agreeing with pretty much all of this. Especially with Chris and Leon. Sadly, I don't think I can really come up with anything on my own.
--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

December 2, 2016 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

USS Command at December 2, 2016 at 7:34 PM

This was a very nice read. I find my self agreeing with pretty much all of this. Especially with Chris and Leon. Sadly, I don't think I can really come up with anything on my own.

Thanks! I enjoyed writing it. Maybe I will add a few more. Be nice to hear other peoples opinions as well just to compare.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

December 2, 2016 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert Wesker 187
This was an excellent read CrimsonElder I agree with your deductions of the characters. Although I disagree I still believe Chris can settle down and have a life of his own especially now that he is in a relationship with Jill I know she can handle Chris and calm him down if it comes down to it also I believe Chris can be a great father and with Jill by his side Chris and Jill can conquer anything thrown their way because they have been through worse situations together and have succeeded.
--

"The only thing that can defeat power is more power. That is the one constant in this universe. However, there is no point in power if it consumes itself. I will enlist the help of an old friend against our common foe; I will use one pawn to eliminate the other, and emerge with the spoils for myself... "

December 3, 2016 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Will Smith Zombie

Very cool read I wouldn't say chris enjoys the responsibility or carrying the weight. Id guess its more about having the cause..being the protector. You mention plausible reasons for his desire to fight crime and protect his sister and others like him. In trying to protect others, he is actually trying to protect himself from the past as a way of trying to correct the past. He will protect others to stop what happened to him happening to others. He then steps in truly evil world..a resident evil one..as the the threat increases so must his protective cause and he becomes the hero in a good v evil story. Its not that he enjoys it, he has to do it becuase evil prospers when good men do nothing and chris prides himself, well not prides himself but finds content and puropse from being that good man. It gives justification for his pain. 100 percent agree that heros dont have happy endings..heros are born out of fate and circumstances that give them the edge in a fight or struggle. We should be thankfull for heros. To rip off brothers in arms..a child asked his granddad was he a hero...the grand dad said no but i served in the company of heros...the heros all died..they might have jumped on a granade, died taking machine gun point which saved further lives, being the first onto the beach which meant gauranteed death, but someone had to do it..and they choose sacrafice for the cause. They are usually too intense or passionate for normal life and frustrated by normal people and normal life. When chris no longer has a evil to fight chris wont be able to function as his state of being wont be required anymore..and i dont think he could be a cop or defective because having been fighting true evil you cannt then turn to fighting weed growers to save the world.

December 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WiskUK

Albert Wesker 187 at December 3, 2016 at 12:37 AM

This was an excellent read CrimsonElder I agree with your deductions of the characters. Although I disagree I still believe Chris can settle down and have a life of his own especially now that he is in a relationship with Jill I know she can handle Chris and calm him down if it comes down to it also I believe Chris can be a great father and with Jill by his side Chris and Jill can conquer anything thrown their way because they have been through worse situations together and have succeeded.

Chris in a relationship with Jill?!!! Fanfic yeah but not a canon event unless I missed something of this magnitude which I doubt. Source please.

--

Take the Green Herb?

December 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Super read, thanks for such a detailed post to debate over CrimsonElder.

Chris ~ I agree with your observation that Chris would be lost without a cause, moreover I see him now as an emotionally broken man, he has always been the most mentally fragile of the S.T.A.R.S. members, even including Rebecca as far as I have seen. Those RE5 viral videos may not be official canon but as far as I'm concerned they give far greater & true insight into this man's pysche than other canon information. His sterioid looking RE5 biceps may even allude to a deep pschological insecurity ;)

As a series character he has more than run his course now. Early signs of insubordination would see him thrown out the U.S Air Force, and is more evidence that he did not have the mental cahones to stay the couse for the long-term. He may look rough & rugged but he has the mental fragility of a young child and I just cannot see how this character 25 years on has anything worthy to give to Resident Evil Vendetta.

Jill ~ So much more emotionally centred and mature of thought than her partner, and with more character depth than the generic Chris Redfield. I have always found the female characters in the first four installments (counting CVX as 4th and not RE4) far more unique and interesting, offering far more to the narrative than their male counterparts, particularily Chris & Leon. Jill has always gone through far more physical & emotional injury than Chris, during the events of Mansion Incident, Raccoon City Outbreak, Kijuju, and Revelations. Her greater maturity and intelligence shown in the games that cover these events has seen her arrive at the end of each game narrative feeling rightly responsible for the success of the mission; having grown as a person and with improved combat skills. In contract Chris often looks and behaves like a pyschological mess. Jill definitly has more, much more than Chris, to offer in the fight agaist bio-terrorism.

Leon ~ I have never warmed to Leon's character, and RE4 did much to turn me off, his dialogue and actions were often very questionable if you are looking for more than a one dimentional, dull, cardboard cut-out hero. Yes he ran late the first day of his new job for the R.P.D. but that was the first and last event I know of that stands Leon out as a person of interest! Sorry to say, as with Chris I just have no interest in Leon's post RE6 story and I cannot see what value his inclusion into the continuing canon narrative would bring. He should have been killed off in the (superior) Kawamura Castle/Fog build of Resident Evil 4. I agree with CrimsonElder that Leon would find it easy to walk away from the battle, my opinion for that based on Leon being less personally connected to the events of the game installments he has featured in than Chris, Clare or Jill; much like Ada Wong he feels like a colder, less emotionally invested in the mission/events of the game narrative as a character, and hence I find him even more boring than the far more generic Chris!

Claire ~ Now this is a character all RE gamers, male & female alike can connect with; not the generic hero, she stands for us, the normal & non-trained civillian suddenly caught up in a world that they must survive without prior training. Alyson Court goes into more & better articulated detail than I ever can on this poiy in our live podcast interview for the 7th Crimson Head Elder Podcast. Claire can still offer something going forward because her story has grown from humble beginnings and her character has developed with each of her game installments, which in-turn have also benefitted from being superior narratives of interest than those involving Leon & Chris (I find Code: Veronica & Revelations 2 far more unique & fascinating than RE4, RE5, RE6).

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

December 3, 2016 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert Wesker 187

WiskUK at December 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Albert Wesker 187 at December 3, 2016 at 12:37 AM

Chris in a relationship with Jill?!!! Fanfic yeah but not a canon event unless I missed something of this magnitude which I doubt. Source please.

The source is simple Resident Evil Revelations 2 the secret file of Barry email to Chris. Here is a link to the video Forward the time to 1:33 there is the email and the source enjoy.

--

"The only thing that can defeat power is more power. That is the one constant in this universe. However, there is no point in power if it consumes itself. I will enlist the help of an old friend against our common foe; I will use one pawn to eliminate the other, and emerge with the spoils for myself... "

December 4, 2016 at 6:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

MorpheusDuvall and Albert Wesker187 - I think the Chris and Jill relationship is more implied. There is evidence to support both for and against. It is all circumstantial however and nothing solid. I think that it varys from project to project for instance in RE2 it is implied that Jill has a boyfriend but this is Claire's perspective and she is purley guessing the photo could be Jill's boyfriend. Lost in Nightmares seemed to imply that Chris is flirting with a younger attractive woman but this was scrapped dialogue so can it be counted? There is also the Viral campaign for RE5 which is percieved as non canon but Chris appears to be on a date with an asian girl.

Then for their relationship there is Chris and his obssesion with finding Jill in RE5 the fact Jill was willing to sacrifice her life for Chris. Revelations with Chris turning down Jessica and Parker suggesting he may be taken for and then a shot of Chris and Jill walking together seemed to strongly suggest he is reffering to Jill. The file in Revelations 2 which could imply Chris and Jill are together. 'I know things are gonna be a bit crazy for awhile for you and Jill, but when you're both settled in let's all go out for a drink or something. It's been too long.' Does he mean when Chris and Jill are settled back in to their home together? Or seperatley. It does sound like he is reffering to them as a pair but he is discussing them both so it could also be individually settling in. Also cirsumstantial BUT I think it is too much to not add up. They put these hints there for a reason I believe. Maybe a one off may be reading too much into it but all the evidence above seems like too much of a coincidence for there to be nothing there.

Excellent character profiles GT I really enjoyed them and although I do like Chris I can see why someone may not. Or not so much may not like him but find him rather boring and one dimensional. The same as Leon it seem's these two leads are almost too cool to show emotion. Chris doesnt seem to have a life outside his career (call it bad character development which it probably is) but I like to pretend it is just because of his personality and how he is dedicated to his career. Leon has abit of a personality but it is just annoying. Almost Arnie quips and mocking the dead is just insanley corny and just bad writing. Is it Leons fault or Capcom being out of touch with the Western sense of humour. Much like Posh Brown form The Stage I think they want to employ humour for these characters but our sense of humour (especially us Brits) is alot more dry. I think that Chris and Leon can have a story to tell but it has to be a story about winding down their career. Much like Chris in RE6 but with an actual arch and not just ending up where they began (Literally Chris ends up in the same bar).

--

December 9, 2016 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.