CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community Site & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Top 4 Important Characters

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

Hello there, my fellow residents of the manion. I'm here on a curious wonder, to ask and start up a general chat on a question I was given last night from a Resident Evil fan on deviantART, here is his question:

'Hey, in your opinion, between the RE characters (I do not mean antagonist villains, I mean between the protagonists Chris, Leon, Helena, Jill, Barry, Jake, Ada, Sherry, Claire, Rebecca, Billy, Piers, Sheva), who are the 4 most popular, or important characters in Resident Evil?'

Share away your thoughts, opinions and ideas. A general discussion will result from this and we'll all see the PoV from each of you that take part in this. Thanks!

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

October 16, 2016 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

Well I think Chris and Leon are the obvious faces of the franchise, movies, games, mangas, plays... they are everywhere, like it or not :)  Other than that I'll go with Ada and Claire just because they make good sidekicks to Chris and Leon.

Thing is I feel that in Resident evil the protagonists are not really important or interesting, Alexia, Wesker, Birkin are the best points in this franchise in my opinion, otherwise it's just a G.I Joe with viral outbreaks :)

October 17, 2016 at 6:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Connel

Jill is in so many of the games. And if she's not the protagonist, Chris is trying to get to her. At the same time, she might be the most vanilla character ever. Which is actually sort of believable. She's all mission. She's an attack dog and woe to the hunters and zombies and other poor sods who try to bite her.

Aside from Leon and Chris, it's a tossup between Claire and Barry. Barry has more depth, although I doubt he would ever be completely over betraying his team in the first game, but it never comes up again. They gave Claire problems in Revelations 2, but I found that contradictory to her unstoppable attitude in RE2. They wanted Claire Danes in Homeland or something and I hate "I forgot my meds pity me" character. Let's have badasses with nuances, not disgusting and impossibly self-destructive natures. Have I mentioned that I am tired of anti-heroes? That's another reason I love Resident Evil. Good guys are good. 

October 21, 2016 at 2:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hunter Alpha

From the main characters I guess Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire are more popular among the fans from the classic games. Fans of the games post-RE4 might also prefer Leon & Chris, as well as Ada. I do not know who the 4th spot could be given to since the rest of the characters really haven't taken a far more important role than others.

Personally my favorite character of the series is HUNK, who despite having few canon mentions on the series, has become a familiar face in bonus modes/games. Besides several minor appaearances in cutscenes and being mentioned in files from different RE games, his main canon appearance is in RE2's and Umbrella Chronicles' 4th Survivor Mode/Mission respectively. Also, in Umbrella Corps it's hinted that the main character of The Experiment (the game's single player campaign) could be HUNK himself.

That being said, I still think that the most important figure in the series remains the Umbrella Corporation, which even long after its disolution is still a relevant point in newer entries of the series:

-Revelations takes place on Umbrella cruiser ships that were designed on blueprints from George Trevor. These same ships were seized by the FBC after Umbrella was shutdown in the USA after the destruction of Raccoon City.

-RE5 revolves around the Progentior virus and the origins of the Umbrella Corporation.

-Revelations 2 is about Alex Wesker, who basically took the remaining assets of Oswell E.Spencer who had assgined her to develop the immortality virus.

-RE6 makes use of the Neo Umbrella name to give the impression of a terrosit organization conducting coordinated bioterror attacks worldwide.

-Umbrella Corps central premise is the battle between rival pharmaceuticla comapnies hirng mercenaries to retrieve the lgecay of Umbrella and therefore become the new Umbrella, or in other words, the new leader in the bioweapons black market.

Likewise, some creatures such as the Tyrants, Hunters and Lickers have become iconic for the series, allowing RE to standout from other games with zombies.

October 21, 2016 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1

Most Popular: Leon, Jill, Chris, Ada (yes I do believe Ada has overcome Claire in terms of popularity over the years). ------ Most important: Well the villians were always more important than the protagonists but if I had to go off of them: Ada, Chris, Natalia (so far), Jake (so far)

November 18, 2016 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Quote Hunter Alpha: "Personally my favorite character of the series is HUNK, who despite having few canon mentions on the series, has become a familiar face in bonus modes/games. Besides several minor appaearances in cutscenes and being mentioned in files from different RE games, his main canon appearance is in RE2's and Umbrella Chronicles' 4th Survivor Mode/Mission respectively. Also, in Umbrella Corps it's hinted that the main character of The Experiment (the game's single player campaign) could be HUNK himself."

I've always found Chris, and particulariy Leon rather dry and dull, generic characters; I loved what the RE5 viral videos did with Chris post-Kijuju traumatic stress, would have been an interesting, intelligent move had Capcom utalised this into a gameplay narrative - dare I suggest a one location, single player campaign challenging Chris's mental stability & reactions to his environment as he battles new enemies in the style of Yasuhisa Kawamura's 'Hookman/Hallucination' experimental gameplay for RE4? Whereas Leon started with an interesting character introduction, but for me became increasingly duller and generic with each appearence.

So I have always gravitated to the more unique, original, often peripharel characters that exist to various extent on the sidelines of the main narrative, but each having a far more intruiging backstory and greater potential for character developmwent. Characters such as Dario Rosso and very much more so Hunk.

Instead of these awful Raccoon City revisits with Darkside Chronicles, Operation Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps, (nobody mention RE2make... yet), it would have been so wonderful to have realised that scenario again yes, but through the eyes of Hunk, perhaps even starting with his training on Rockfort Island as a gameplay prelude to introduce controls and gameplay mechanics, etc. We could end this main game installment with his interaction with Christine Henri, which in itself could become the new focus for the next main game, progressing the series on through the journey these viruses have taken, utalising the characters & facilities RE files have already established in the past, instead of this constant cycle of new, throw-away placeholders that suddenly appear with no previous RE backstory, never to be seen again, like Billy Coen, Sheva Alomar, and Peirs Nivans.

Hunk would be my vote for a more interesting protagonist than generic Leon and Chris, but also my vote for one of the most important too, being the sole extractor of the G virus... someone will probably correct me on that, no doubt to do with Outbreak which I know very little about still to my shame!

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

November 20, 2016 at 2:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1

Quote George Trevor: "Hunk would be my vote for a more interesting protagonist than generic Leon and Chris, but also my vote for one of the most important too, being the sole extractor of the G virus... someone will probably correct me on that, no doubt to do with Outbreak which I know very little about still to my shame!"

Well in the Umbrella Chronicles chapter, Death's Door, Ada was shown to have obtained a tissue fragment that contained the G-Virus within it (it was the only reason why Wesker even told her how to escape Raccoon City).

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

Also, Sherry herself can count in a way. Afterall, Carla got the G-Virus sample used for the C-Virus from her. (Sorry my formatting is off. My posts won't space themselves out for some reason).

November 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.