CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Lost in Nightmares theories

BSAArklay
Administrator

After picking up RE5 HD and replaying Lost in Nightmares I thought that I would have an in depth look around the mansion to see what I can find now that I have better graphics to look at and also it is very easy to save screenshots now thanks to PS4’s share feature. This is basically observations and theories. I am just assuming what most of this stuff represents and if anyone wants to jump in and add a canon explanation or even your own theories that would be cool. The article includes the screenshots and my explanations for what we are seeing. I started out with bodies and the blood stains. I have more to come so will update this topic. Enjoy and I hope people share their thoughts. I have divided my findings up into separate categories. Let’s begin with blood and bodies found in LIN:

First of all let’s take a look at the blood splatters in the main hall and the body count.

So once you enter the mansion you would have to be blind to miss this abomination of a mess. It seems to have what I can only imagine are claw marks or someone dragging their feet through the blood as there are stripes and streaks throughout this mess. Either Wesker killed more than one person here which doesn’t make sense due to the other puddles of blood or he seriously messed one guy up. I guess this blood stain shows that Wesker was in a pissed off mood and was going to ‘mess up’ anyone who came between him and Spencer. The biggest question here though is with these blood stains primarily downstairs how did all of the security team’s bodies end up upstairs?

This guy got off easy compared to the previous one. There is a sufficient amount of blood here however not enough for someone to bleed out. It’s quite plausible that the victim did not meet his demise here.

This however would be a sufficient enough amount of blood for someone to bleed out. Not only that, it is quite easy to guess what exactly happened here. Wesker punched a security member into the candle holder who smashed his head against it and died upon impact. There is no body here which helps to support the fact that Wesker moved the bodies from the scene of their demise.

Another puddle of blood which seems like an adequate amount for someone to begin the process of bleeding out. Quite possibly Wesker punched a hole in one of the team quite similar to how he killed Spencer. Upon reflection the streaks in the blood make sense now. They are drag marks where the bodies where in the process of being dragged through the blood giving the illusion of the patterns shown in the blood. How the blood doesn’t continue is unknown. Maybe it is just an error on Capcom’s behalf because these blood stain drag marks should lead to the stairs. Or Wesker dragged them to their feet and then hoisted the dead men onto his shoulder and carried them upstairs.

Remember the dead security guy who falls onto the stairs as you are ascending them? Well he is nowhere to be seen here. Another error on Capcom’s behalf? Or was one of these guys on the brink of death and stumbled to the banister trying to make it to his feet and toppled over and onto the stairs. Who knows.

His pose certainly suggests he was reaching for something. Yes Wesker did in fact punch a hole in all of these guys and in exactly the same area. They also all look identical. I don’t know if it’s just shadows or they are made this way on purpose to hide their features but some have very dark skin almost like they are burnt. Others are a very pale white.

Another man murdered here. I did consider that this was drag marks from Wesker moving the bodies however this is one of the 5 blood stains and removing this as the scene of a death only leaves a small blood stain which I will get to later.

A close up look at the weird shade on one of the security members faces. This is also the first of the five bodies we are about to look at. This one is alone while the rest are up the small set of stairs behind Chris.

Ok so notice here how there is barley any blood aside from on the wall. That guy could have been thrown or propped there and slid down the wall creating the blood streak. I think these guys bled out for what you would have to assume would be quite some time before being moved here. Perhaps Wesker entered the mansion and cleared out these guys. Searched the remaining area namely Spencer’s bedroom and then returned and began the process of moving the bodies. The fourth body is in the top right you can see his legs.

So here is the small blood stain I was referring to. Again a decent amount but not enough to suggest someone was murdered here. I checked the floor below and although it is a shady area of the map I could not see any signs to suggest a puddle of blood similar to the one on the candle holder downstairs. The reason I state this is because it is exactly the same blood splatter but without the puddle below it. How did this get here? It is completely isolated from the rest of the blood stains. It almost seems like someone was shot and the blood splattered on the wall behind them. Or perhaps this is the original location where the victim of the large blood splatter downstairs began his fight. It is possible that Wesker shot the man here and threw him off the balcony and he landed in the middle of the main hall creating the large blood splatter. Yup that would do it.

I am just curious as to who Spencer may have killed in here lately? Perhaps a security member who failed him? The blood looks fairly fresh.

Similar shackles on the wall to the Arklay mansion in the birdcage corridor. Blood stains on the wall in the midst of them are around the height that someone’s head would be.

Human skulls and a rib cage surround the crank mechanism leading down to the prison area.Weirdly placed objects which I don’t think makes much sense being there.

More shackles as you ascend into the prison area. This area is actually very macabre. It seems that Spencer or his workers were not satisfied with just testing on the subjects but they actually tortured the victims as well.

A deceased subject bloodied and hung by a hook that is attached to a rope around the victims mouth. Why? Similar to Revelations 2 just prior to Claire leaving her cell there a similar body bags. They make no sense being there other than perhaps to scare the test subjects into obeying the workers or else end up in a bloody sack I guess.

A very similar outcome for a test subject here. Could this be work of the guardians? This all seem’s abit extreme to be the workers.

Ignore the body bag here. I was focusing on the giant machete. I think that is too big of a knife for a normal human to be wielding. In comparison to even a man Chris’s size it would appear to me that an average man would struggle using this weapon. Perhaps proof that the Guardians over ran this area and tortured and killed the remaining test subjects.

This is in the area where you pick up the handguns of the dead security guard after leaving the Guardians maze lair. I am curious as to where these doors lead. They are too small to be the doors that lead to the upper main hall in the mansion. Wherever it is suggests these are the doors that Wesker entered from to make it to Spencer.

This guy’s fate is quite obvious. Wesker punched him flying through the air and he smashed into the wall behind him.

Not a whole lot noteworthy in this room other than the magical invisible table. Also the hole punched in Spencer is nowhere to be seen.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

July 26, 2016 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WiskUK

I expected some theorizing on why Wekser moved the bodies. You should cover this. I cant see the purpose for going thru Spencer's estate in a frenzied kill mode, to then carefully reposition the bodies elsewhere. You mention the body removal so it would follow that you have some idea as to why it was necessary?

--

Take the Green Herb?

July 27, 2016 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

Lost In Nightmares is the game RE D5TY should have been. Good to see there are other residents here who value it worthy of further research. Capcom should have used this as the model for progressing the series forwrd. Yeah it does have its flaws, but the developers certainly had the RE hardcore fans like myself in mind, when they were doing this. It was the subtle details that really did it for me. The creepy piano playing when you go back to the fireplace, which if you notice and follow through to the room again, you'll find deserted. The creepy screams you hear exploring the mansion. If you listen closely you can hear dogs barking in the distance as you step through the window/dog hallway look-alike. And if you were a die-hard fan like me, you'd check the windows and notice that they're barred from the outside. The rest were mostly pretty obvious nods to the previous games.

Story-wise, I really thought that it would be longer to match its depth. I think it was the files you find around that kinda put me in that mindset. You start to learn about this Alex character and it caused so much speculation those threads were more interesting than most covering the main campaign. So I just figured the mysteries would get deeper, but alas, it was short-lived. 

I never paid the position of the blood to much attention I dont think there is much significance in it but it's interesting to speculate as to why Wesker moved around the corpses of Spencer's security team. Concerning hsi security detail that really ground my gears. Spencer builds this powerful pharmaceutical conglomerate, orchestrated numerous assassinations, developed biological and bio-organic weapon, influenced politicians, and was personally responsible for the detonation of a nuclear device over a large U.S. city. I know that Patrick the butler speaks of "untrustworthy security guards" in his memoirs, but what CrimsoneElder's images show is a level of security not fit to guard the personal residence of the series Godfather. Even Colonel Sergei Vladimir was assignerd a pair of T-103 Tyrants as personal bodyguards, yet Spencer gets a few inept guys wearing cheap suits and sunglasses?  Another look at CrimsonElder's images clearly show the six dead agents lying in the main hall dont even appear to have bee armed!

Other textures that started to annoy me was having to see the exact same pictures hanging on every wall across the mansion. The pictures themselves were great, but why only six of them? Capcom did the same thing with Resident Evil 4. There was the same portrait of Saddler in every house. I'm certainly not a game designer, so perhaps there is a reason for this, but until someone tells me differently, I think it's just plain laziness. Much like placing the original Keeper's Diary in Ozwell E. Spencer's European estate. That was my single biggest gripe righ there, pure fucking laziness for the sake of a nod to the games clear inspiration REmake - but if you're going to stick in an easter egg from the old skool at least have it's inclusion make some fucking sense!

One thing I did love about the paintings, it was great seeing what I'm assuming to be Spencer himself standing amongst the ruins of the Ndipaya Kingdom, but I wish we had been given some additional information on the Sonnentreppe flower itself. Also in true REmake style I have to know the relevence and hisotry behind the mysterious woman in the paitings - who might she be, and why was her portrait defiled? Could be another intriguing question about the paintings of RE that goes unanswered like so many from Spencer's property portfolio but there muct be more to this woman...?

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

July 28, 2016 at 6:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M-Greg

The bloodstain upon walking through the front door looks more like someone got ripped apart than killed and dragged to me, i.e. there IS no more body and Capcom were just lazy with the details post-ripping, though I could be wrong.

As for the odd placement in the corpses in the main hall and what you said about them possibly looking burnt, consider that maybe they were not killed by Albert. Perhaps a Veronica host who also had business with Oswell was there before him? They might have even stayed hidden and watched events unfold until after Chris and Jill passed through. Alternatively, it makes sense to me that the "Blob" monsters (I would only use the name Keeper of Madness/Guardian of Insanity if my hopes had been met and there was only one damn enemy persistently following you through the place, not several of the same one) either did the killing before Albert showed up or moved/deformed the bodies of his rampage after he left and before Chris and Jill got there, which would place the missing bodies/body parts in the basement with the test subjects.

Either one of those explanations makes more sense than Albert doing a bit of spring cleaning after his massacre. The guy wasn't exactly there to waste time and he was in fact very angry/irrational. You could argue possibly that he wanted to make an effort to keep the rival company off his scent which is why he messed around with it but this argument doesn't hold much water to me. What's interesting is his File makes no mention of him fighting anyone when he got there; he very well could have walked into an already gruesome scene and not killed anyone until the hallway just before Oswell's study. Plus Oswell would probably want his security dead, by Albert's hand or anyone/anything else's. They served their purpose. If the color of their eyes indicated any kind of evolution, they could also have been  deliberate practice for his prize pupil upon his arrival. Maybe they were Wesker Children too?

I too have wanted to know more about that woman, NEM. Perhaps Derek wasn't the only fiend with a lost lady love? The desecration of the face does suggest loathing or envy. Maybe Old Man Spencer had his heart broken?

--

The basis of controlling fear... Only those who've conquered fear deserve to rule the world.

August 11, 2016 at 6:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Moving onto the Keepers Diary room. As you can see this cabinet has been smashed to pieces. I see no lock on this cabinet so the only other reason to smash into it would be if in an immediate hurry. The medication is laid out all over the bed and nightstand so my first guess would be that it was there and Spencer needed them in a hurry. Or perhaps in a fit of rage from being betrayed by Alex he threw something at it shattering the glass. The last option would be a fight broke out here and someone was thrown into it however there is no combat damage signs in this room.

As you can see there is a used medication cylinder on the bed.

The sheets are also untidy.

They have been thrown off whoever lay here in a frantic hurry. This all leads me to believe that Spencer had some sort of medical issues here and perhaps had a fit or was gasping for air and in a hurry threw off the bed sheets and smashed the cabinet to retain the medication. Either this or Perhaps a more likely scenario one that I just realised. Perhaps Spencer was asleep in bed which explains why he is wearing a robe. One of the Security team or more likely a duo came into the room knowing of Wesker or an intruder at the mansion. They hurried Spencer out of bed grabbed some medication from the cabinet by smashing it. Then they carried him across the upper main hall and into the double doors smashing the lock behind them. Perhaps these Security members are the ones found dead just outside of Spencer’s library area. (Where he lays dead).

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

August 21, 2016 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

Good to see the one shinning grace of RE5 being spotlighted in the forum, LIN doesnt get anywhere near the focus and research it deserves IMO and now with REV3 bringing into the series the infamous Alex from the LIN file we all got ever so excited about back then. Kudos on the drug container it must have something to do with the cocktail of meds Spencer was relying on to keep his aging body from falling apart lol

Did you come up with an explanation for why the Keeper's Diary was taken by Spencer from the mansion and placed in this room?

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

August 23, 2016 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M-Greg

Regarding the state and position of the bodies, it's also likely that Albert and/or the Blobs that got out fought the guards in more than one spot; the guards would have fled and taken cover as they were mowed down, which may explain the disheveled state of the room with the diary, although I love your theories that depict the damage happening when Oswell was sleeping in there and see them all as equally plausible.

I hadn't considered in my initial analysis that after his transcendence, Albert had kept his Samurai Edge and continued to use it when he didn't feel like relying on his newfound strength. I no longer believe he was just dodging, charging, and tearing his way through these men. I think he was probably somewhat tactical also and took at least some of them out long range with the Samurai Edge. Hell, maybe he didn't lay a finger on anyone until the hallway leading to the study, only using his sidearm before that, and the Blobs were to blame for the dismemberment which could have all been post-mortem.

The first bloodstain we see upon entry could have been a man whose jugular vein or femoral artery was shot by Albert and the body could have been lifted and carried (no drag marks) to the basement and devoured by a Blob. They could have also done some post-gunfight snacking on the other bodies after Albert left. I also think it's plausible that Oswell or Albert deliberately let them out of the basement before, during, or after the fighting.

@James Marcus: Personally I consider Uroboros to be a shining grace of 5, but LiN is definitely my favorite gameplay aspect. If only we could see the Castle scenario of 4 (3.5) executed in full rather than simply ideas being carried over from it and sprinkled throughout the games.

--

The basis of controlling fear... Only those who've conquered fear deserve to rule the world.

February 6, 2017 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

This has been a suprisingly difficult task for me to put together. I keep hitting dead ends such as the balcony above the door way to the dinning room being collapsed by the dubris has been cleaned up to the sides. Which make's me think it is more of a case of the house falling apart rather than a battle sign. Also the bodies being nowhere near the blood stains has been a real nightmare. I will have to consider your theory that maybe some bodies left the area and start looking in the prison for bodies wearing similar clothes. I don't know if the Globs would eat anyone, cant say for sure but the prison has plenty of signs of torture.

I haven't given up on this project yet I still have alot to put together it is just a very slow process and sometimes I think the combat damage just doesn't match up. But then again maybe I am just missing something.

--

February 9, 2017 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.