CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Chainsaw in beta Resident Evil?

comicbooknerd

Whilst adding to my RE collection over the years, I often try to look through catalogues, advertisements, promotional leaflets, anything that may have some good ol' RE content. From time to time I stumble across something that I manage to add. So a while back I picked up this Official Playstation catalogue. It has a large variety of games covered in it but only very minimal small footnotes about them.

While skimming through I came across this one for Resident Evil. As you can see from the images, the outline of the game differs from the final product. The list of weapons states the game includes “Crossbows, Bazookas, CHAINSAWS, Shotguns, Knives, Axes and Torches”

Now many of those weapons obviously weren’t in the game, but the chainsaw stuck out to me due to the fact that as of recently, Capcom seem fairly fond of it. I took note of this and just presumed it was an early listing, and or some information was passed on incorrectly or there was an error in translation. For a while, I thought nothing more of it. Until recently when, doing the same as above, I managed to add some Magazines with RE articles in them to my collection. I shared these on twitter with Stars_TyranT who pointed out the cover art for the magazine wasn’t something he had seen before. In this magazine, as seen in the images, you can again see reference to the Chainsaw in the game (along with a few other notes that aren’t quite correct).

I honestly don’t believe the Chainsaw was ever actually planned for the game, but I did wonder, has anyone else ever heard or read anything else that mentions it at all? I don’t have the items to hand at the moment but will try and find dates on them to see how far apart they are from each other and the games release. I’ve also attached another image from the article, im not too familiar with the Bio1 betas but im presuming this inventory screen complete with “Smoking Chris” image is from a beta build?

Just something I thought I would share but look forward to peoples thoughts and input!

--
July 7, 2016 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

Never heard of a chainsaw being part of any beta build. As for 'smoking Chris' I was under the impression this was the Japanese version with the intro footage showing a smoking Chris, censored for the US & European markets.

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

July 28, 2016 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

NEMESIS at July 28, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Never heard of a chainsaw being part of any beta build. As for 'smoking Chris' I was under the impression this was the Japanese version with the intro footage showing a smoking Chris, censored for the US & European markets.

Thanks for your feedback NEMESIS , I havent heard of it anywhere else yet other than these 2 examples i've stumpled upon. I dont think in all honesty; a Chainsaw was ever in a beta but I was just curious to know where the information came from and also if there are any other references to it anywhere.

Regarding Chris and his Smoking image, I know what you mean about the intro footage and pretty sure that image I posted was lifted from that scene directly. However, playing the Japanese version of the game brings up a different photo to the one in the magazine above on the inventory.

Just a very quick example I found online for reference. 9min 08secs if you skip to that (there will be others in the video, thats just the first I found when hovering) you can see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGcfCbQNkj8

It was just something I had noticed and as i'm not too familiar with the betas for the first Biohazard I thought it was worth showing, especially as it was given to the press for print.

July 29, 2016 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
I meant to post earlier, but couldn't find what I wanted to share. I remember reading on a forum somewhere about a chainsaw being cut from the original Resident Evil. I searched high and low but couldn't find that source. I don't remember them saying it was a weapon. So maybe instead of a actual weapon, it was to be an item used for a puzzle or something? I remember a post on Project Umbrella said alot of content was cut from RE1, so maybe a chainsaw was going to be used to cut a door blocked by Plant 42 and the press just thought "Oh a chainsaw! Must be a weapon!!!"?
--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

July 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

USS Command at July 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM

I meant to post earlier, but couldn't find what I wanted to share. I remember reading on a forum somewhere about a chainsaw being cut from the original Resident Evil. I searched high and low but couldn't find that source. I don't remember them saying it was a weapon. So maybe instead of a actual weapon, it was to be an item used for a puzzle or something? I remember a post on Project Umbrella said alot of content was cut from RE1, so maybe a chainsaw was going to be used to cut a door blocked by Plant 42 and the press just thought "Oh a chainsaw! Must be a weapon!!!"?

I hadnt thought about the possibilty of it not being a weapon before, the suggestion that it could have been part of a puzzle is really interesting. Reminds me of the Rusty Sword in CVX or the Shotgun in the first game. In all honesty,if a chainsaw was ever planned it makes much more sense for it to be a puzzle part than it does an in game weapon. Thanks for the input, if I come across anything more on this in the future I will be sure to update this thread but untill then I welcome any further input from anywone!

August 2, 2016 at 4:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WiskUK

Interesting findings comicbooknerd but I cant say I have ever heard of the chainsaw in any of the beta discussion threads, neither have I seen an image of the chainsaw amoung the unused items extarcted by MarkGrass or Welsh. The first mention to it you uploaded reads like a list made up on the spot to cover all bases, but the second does read like it was printed with some knoweledge of the weaon. However I would have expected this to have been known many years now if included at any developmet stage. Looking tru my own RE magazines from back in the day I didnt find any mention of this.

--

Take the Green Herb?

August 21, 2016 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

WiskUK at August 21, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Interesting findings comicbooknerd but I cant say I have ever heard of the chainsaw in any of the beta discussion threads, neither have I seen an image of the chainsaw amoung the unused items extarcted by MarkGrass or Welsh. The first mention to it you uploaded reads like a list made up on the spot to cover all bases, but the second does read like it was printed with some knoweledge of the weaon. However I would have expected this to have been known many years now if included at any developmet stage. Looking tru my own RE magazines from back in the day I didnt find any mention of this.

Thanks for your input Morpheus. In all honesty im really suprised that theres isnt any other mention of it online at all. Completley agree with you about the first image coming across as made up on the spot, its how I read it too. I didnt really think anything of it untill I read through the magazine in the images and started to wonder was there anything more to it.

Id agree that I would have expected it to have surfaced sooner if it ever was in a build etc but im wondering if it was ever perhaps just a concept idea or something along those lines. If it was just an idea and it happened to be mentioned at some point I can understand how it could have been lost in translation and given out as false information to the press.

I was speaking to a friend of mine about this the other day and he said he could remember reading about there being torches (Im presuming flaming, not battery) in the game but he couldnt remember where it was he saw it.

So far these are the only 2 mentions of it i've come across but if I find any more I will update the thread. Im not a huge fan of the Chainsaws in any of the games to be honest, but it just interested me to stumble across this infromation.

August 22, 2016 at 6:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

i wouldnt be surprised if this idea for a weapon came up in a very early developer interview maybe one of the first - with Famitsu could be - and was then at some point dropped. I was thinking this as ive read Mikami and his team were inspired by 80s action and horror films, and one could have been Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

August 23, 2016 at 4:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

James Marcus at August 23, 2016 at 4:57 PM

i wouldnt be surprised if this idea for a weapon came up in a very early developer interview maybe one of the first - with Famitsu could be - and was then at some point dropped. I was thinking this as ive read Mikami and his team were inspired by 80s action and horror films, and one could have been Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I remember a few years back reading an interview with Kojima and it was discussing all the films that he took inspiration from for MGS. It also had some little mini articles on each film mentioned and was a really interesting read. Im not sure if theres been any articles like this for RE but would love to read them if there are any.

August 26, 2016 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

comicbooknerd at August 26, 2016 at 3:09 AM

I remember a few years back reading an interview with Kojima and it was discussing all the films that he took inspiration from for MGS. It also had some little mini articles on each film mentioned and was a really interesting read. Im not sure if theres been any articles like this for RE but would love to read them if there are any.

Many Horror & Action genre films have been quoted by the Resident Evil developers including Shinji Mikami, Isao Oishi, Hideki Kamiya, Yasuhisa Kawamura, as the inspiration for various themes, characters & plot points in the narrative. A great source for details on movie inspiration behind Resident Evil 2 (found in the CHE mansion scanned at 600dpi for residents to download from our archives), is BIOHAZARD 2 PROLOGUE OF TERRORS, and we'll have to ask site translator Yuki or resident Welsh for a translation of  Page 20Page 21Page 22, and particularily Page 23:

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

September 5, 2016 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

George Trevor at September 5, 2016 at 1:35 PM

comicbooknerd at August 26, 2016 at 3:09 AM

Many Horror & Action genre films have been quoted by the Resident Evil developers including Shinji Mikami, Isao Oishi, Hideki Kamiya, Yasuhisa Kawamura, as the inspiration for various themes, characters & plot points in the narrative. A great source for details on movie inspiration behind Resident Evil 2 (found in the CHE mansion scanned at 600dpi for residents to download from our archives), is BIOHAZARD 2 PROLOGUE OF TERRORS, and we'll have to ask site translator Yuki or resident Welsh for a translation of  Page 20Page 21Page 22, and particularily Page 23:

Thats exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks for that GT.

September 9, 2016 at 9:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gunnutinfl

i know i haven't posted here in a long time. but anyway, i remember hearing about the chainsaw years back. i'm sure someone else in the thread mentioned this by now, but i read it may have been taken out for violence reasons? i am really not sure. that would be a dumb reason, but it's all i can remember.

--

October 3, 2016 at 11:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.