CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Spencer Mansion's lost room

USS Command
Administrator

So I was rereading the Umbrella Chronicals novel for the first time in four years. I did this as I was given a renewed interest thanks to the new information Welsh discovered weeks back. While reading Side A, I came across something very interesting:

"After synchronizing their watches, the two were on their way to the door that led to the dining room. Jill and Chris had only been gone a few seconds when Wesker sprung into action. He knew this mansion like the back of his hand, no wonder after all, the mansion was owned by Umbrella Corporation. Wesker ran to the wall opposite. There, behind a painting, there was a tiny slot. Wesker fished a card from his pocket and placed it into the slot. As if by magic part of the wall opened very quietly and very slowly, revealing a passage into an adjacent room. This was the control room. On the walls of the control room, 25 screens were lined up. The pictures flickered over them, showing in detail what was going on inside the mansion. Wesker would not have to explore every room like Chris and Jill would, he could see everything from here on out. He settled on a very functional acting chair in front of the wall of screens. Everything that happened from inside the mansion would be observed from this control room and recorded.

The control room... this ring any bells? No? For me it sure does. Biohazard Pachislot featured a new room, a control room Wesker was in. 

Now with all the cutsceans and stuff from Pachislot I counted about 17. There's probably more but the number doesn't really matter honestly as the room itself is important. Now where in the hall is the painting that Wesker uses to access this room? Well after reading that it's on the opposite side of the dining room it leaves ONLY one possible option.

But what about the other side of the wall? Can you see that empty square? These questions poped up for me so I went to the graveyard to get a good look. As you can see from my pointing, there's a wall blocking it's view. 

The wall is on the map as well. It's kinda odd how its just there right? Couldn't an iron fence, like the ones  around the graveyard be used instead of a wall? Now just to note about that small pink space on the map by the tip of my finger, while I wasn't able to get a good shot of it, it seems that space don't exist in game. For example:

See that area? It's not there in game. 

Anyway there's one really nice, recent piece of information that helps make this a possibility. And that's the blueprints of the Spencer Mansion from the Remastered version:

Now as you can see that little space I made note of is fixed, though the other isn't, but the square is blacked out just like George Trevor's secret room. So my thoughts are George Trevor may have left that space empty for some unknown reason and Spencer later got another architect, perhaps Vincent Gallo who made the Ecliptic Express, and had the man build a ladder or elevator (maybe even a small stairway?) That lead to the newly built control room. It's not out of the question. The Trevor notes does say "The smell of disinfectant fills the basement and it seems a new machine was brought in..." So the idea of the Mansion being added on while GT was captive is definitely there. But for its actual location on the map? Well here is a VERY half-assed overlay of the Remake map I did:

Aside from things not being to scale, again due to it being half-assed, you can see that there's room for the control room directly under the graveyard or possibly under the upper right-hand side of the Mansion. Anyway having this Control Room helps explain where Wesker went. It could also help explain the disappearance of 7 researchers from headquarter who were never accounted for, maybe some of them made it there, only to be killed by Wesker as he was leaving Umbrella?  And lastly, it can even explain why George Trevor was able to get around without much trouble by personnel on site. They already knew where he was, until his serect room, but the last of the Trevor's notes kinda hint that they found him eventually.

If you look up the cutsceans for Pachislot on YouTube, you'll see they had access to the Remake assets, this control room could have been something that was finished but not introduced due to time constraints and then Umbrella Chronicles decided to attempt to use it, only to change their minds and leave it in the novel. So anyway what do you think Residents? Agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

July 4, 2016 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Wenpei Mao

Great find! Hope someone can check out the space in the game. :D

USS Command, could you upload a better picture of your map for everyone? I want to see a better view of it. I am happy that we have discovered something new here.

--

July 4, 2016 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

Fantastic work USS Command. 

--

July 5, 2016 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

Wow, fantastic work there. I had often wondered if anything like this was ever intended to be added to the game. Well done on the research there though, look forward to seeing what else comes from it.

July 6, 2016 at 5:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Excellent post Mr Command. Any updates on this? I dont know if this room even needs a ladder of steps to change the level that the monitor screens are setup in. I think there is plenty of room for the area Wesker is shown in within the Pachislot video for it to be on the first floor. As you can see in the picture I believe there is not enough room for the monitor screens area to be in the area which is between the set of steps that you navigate down to reach the cemetary area so it could either be in one of the two areas I pointed out or like you mentioned a ladder, stairs or steps lead down to a level change.

This is an excellent find USS and I commend your work here. It was always a great mystery to me as to where Wesker dissappeared to and he managed to not only do it within potentially 5 minutes but also to remain hidden until he saw fit to reveal himself again. It always made me curious as to how he managed to find Barry when he needed to and avoid Jill/Chris. In the original RE1 I always assumed he stayed in the office near the backdoor so he could listen to people coming and going but watching secruity feeds makes for a much more accurate and realistic approach. I always thought it was sort of out how they left George Trevor just roam the mansion grounds without confronting him even after he witnessed certain events. By keeping tabs on him via video feed this makes alot more sense and Spencer could have even been watching on and enjoying in some sort of sick rat in a maze game. One of the biggest questions that surrounds this game potentially solved? Certainly the closest I have ever seen anyone come and something after all these years I never expected could be resolved unless we received new information. Now let’s solve how Forest got behind that locked door.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

July 6, 2016 at 7:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

Alan Wenpei Mao at July 4, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Great find! Hope someone can check out the space in the game. :D

USS Command, could you upload a better picture of your map for everyone? I want to see a better view of it. I am happy that we have discovered something new here.

Why sure here you go. As I said half-assed. I made it to see how cluttered it was below the Mansion. The maps came from some walkthrough btw.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

July 6, 2016 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

Great research USS Command this certainly explains how Wesker was able to cross the mansion in time to set off the detonation whilst completing his canon path thru the game in keeping with his interactions with Barry, Jill and Chris. Where did you get that cool blue-print of the mansion - or is it a photoshop creation?

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

August 23, 2016 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator
The blueprints came from the Japanese version of Remake Remastered and the Zero HD presskit. Or do you mean the thing I posted above? If so I just googled Remake map and edited them.
--

August 25, 2016 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Vito at July 5, 2016 at 2:13 AM

Fantastic work USS Command. 

Yeah I have to second this, with an apology that I failed to contribute further to your research; although as you know I did try, before you pointed out my elementary error - soooo embarrassing particularily for an architect and one who was working from the original mansion plans - well the ones that came with the biohazard HD remaster Collector's edition!!

All I can do for now is direct residents to the source for the inspiration for USS Command's research, the CHE translation of  Biohazard: The Umbrella Chronicles SIDE A

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

September 5, 2016 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gunnutinfl

people may be frustrated about what i'm going to mention, as it may not really be a room, but it appears to be a very tiny guard house looking room, almost a control room area, with a small shutter looking entrance in the heliport area at the end, from the original resident evil, not the remake. i know this is an older thread, but i was wondering if anyone knows the tiny room i'm talking about.

--

October 4, 2016 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

Finding out little things like this is always an awesome thing to read, thank you for sharing this with everyone. Very interesting!

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

September 14, 2017 at 4:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer

This is awesome, USS Command! I was initially in the same boat as BSAArklay, with Wesker securing himself in Spencer's office to be able to hear if anyone was approaching, at least until they managed to progress beyond the mansion to the guardhouse/residence, but I'm very much on board with the idea of a secret room where he could monitor them via camera feed. 

The only thing is, I don't recall there being security cameras in the mansion. If there were, could we assume that they weren't installed until more recently? In reality, CCTV technology was not very advanced when it first came out because there wasn't a means to record and store information until VCR technology came out in the 1970s.

To quote an article that I was just reading;

Technology

The earliest video surveillance systems involved constant monitoring because there was no way to record and store information. The development of reel-to-reel media enabled the recording of surveillance footage. These systems required magnetic tapes to be changed manually, which was a time consuming, expensive and unreliable process, with the operator having to manually thread the tape from the tape reel through the recorder onto an empty take-up reel. Due to these shortcomings, video surveillance was not widespread. VCR technology became available in the 1970s, making it easier to record and erase information, and use of video surveillance became more common.

During the 1990s, digital multiplexing was developed, allowing several cameras to record at once, as well as time lapse and motion-only recording. This increased savings of time and money which then led to an increase in the use of CCTV.

Recently CCTV technology has been enhanced with a shift toward Internet-based products and systems, and other technological developments.

Application

In September 1968, Olean, New York was the first city in the United States to install video cameras along its main business street in an effort to fight crime. Another early appearance was in 1973 in Times Square in New York City. The NYPD installed it in order to deter crime that was occurring in the area; however, crime rates did not appear to drop much due to the cameras. Nevertheless, during the 1980s video surveillance began to spread across the country specifically targeting public areas. It was seen as a cheaper way to deter crime compared to increasing the size of the police departments. Some businesses as well, especially those that were prone to theft, began to use video surveillance. From the mid-1990s on, police departments across the country installed an increasing number of cameras in various public spaces including housing projects, schools and public parks departments. CCTV later became common in banks and stores to discourage theft, by recording evidence of criminal activity. In 1998, 3,000 CCTV systems were in use in New York City. A study by Nieto in 2008 found many businesses in the United States had invested heavily in video surveillance technology to protect products and promote safe workplace and consumer environments. A nationwide survey of a wide variety of companies found that 75 percent utilize CCTV surveillance. In private sector CCTV surveillance technology is operated in a wide variety of establishments such as in industry/manufacturing, retailing, financial/insurance/banking, transportation and distribution, utilities/communications, health care, and hotels/motels.

Experiments in the UK during the 1970s and 1980s, including outdoor CCTV in Bournemouth in 1985, led to several larger trial programs later that decade. The first use by local government was in King's Lynn, Norfolk, in 1987. These were deemed successful in the government report "CCTV: Looking Out For You", issued by the Home Office in 1994, and paved the way for an increase in the number of CCTV systems installed. Today, systems cover most town and city centres, and many stations, car-parks and estates.

Now, you could say that they had constant monitoring on George Trevor with recording any of the footage, but the control room that we're seeing in these photos is definitely a more recent product of technology, so I'm not sure where I stand on the matter of "when" it was constructed in the mansion, but it's definitely a possibility by the time 1998 rolls around that this room exists, even if Wesker may have had a hand in its construction.

Or....

We can ignore reality and bend the rules a little bit to just say that Resident Evil is an alternate universe where some aspects don't necessarily coincide with our official history. Haha.

Great work USS Command!

September 15, 2017 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

News Bot

There were cameras secretly placed all over the mansion for security and combat data purposes. Not necessarily CCTV.

September 21, 2017 at 8:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer
When were they placed?
September 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

Sonny Bauer at September 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM

When were they placed?

If you look at some of the monitor screens you can see that they show rooms from the fixed camera angle. So you could consider some of those to be there locations. Remastered also helps with them following you too. 

Just my take on it.

--

September 23, 2017 at 11:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer
That is a good point, USS Command. As if you, the player, are watching them from these camera feeds as well controlling the controlling the character. Never thought of it that way. Neat. I would still like to figure out as to when these cameras were placed and when the control room was constructed, it definitely makes for interesting trivia.
September 24, 2017 at 1:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

That is a very interesting theory USS Command. Pachislot seem's to see it that way too, check out the camera angles on Wesker's monitor and they are identical to Remake's.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

September 24, 2017 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.