CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Resident Evil 7 biohazard E3 2016

George Trevor
Site Owner

Resident Evil 7 biohazard has just been anounced at E3 2016, with a premiere gameplay trailer entitled 'Desolation':

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

The game is dripping in so much sinister atmosphere, very reminiscent of the Silent Hills PT demo, that it's dramatic change to a first-person perspective seems of little notice or consequence to me. I took some stills from the premiere trailer that may lend some clues...

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

June 13, 2016 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Just got back from a major hike and feeling light-headed and I come on to my computer only to find Resident Evil 7 screenshots and trailers. Think I'm going to get some sleep and take my time to rewatch it tomorrow.

I have always wanted another first-person Biohazard experience the likes of Gun Survivor. Setting looks eerie as well. The release date being so soon caught me off guard a bit.

--

June 14, 2016 at 1:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

I'm not quite sure what to think of this just yet. It looks like it takes place in Louisiana. I see some character nods. We don't really know any details - like what exactly is the story or where this fits on the timeline. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold and get some answers.

I like the house. Not a fan of first person play though.

June 14, 2016 at 6:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Well where to start? Who saw that coming? At first I thought has PT been revived by Konami or was this Kojima's new project. Then I saw the word 'Kitchen' and thought of Capcoms Kitchen VR demo from a few months back. Put 2 + 2 together and knew this was RE before it showed the title. Prior to the trailer I heard of rumours that this was going to happen and I thought god no that would suck. After the demo however I could not help but feel excited. If this was VR only then I would not be feeling as positive as I feel right now. Not just because I have to buy a VR which I do not want but that is too much of a change for me. I like my games on a controller.

Granted this does not seem like a Resident Evil project and the story is non exsistant at this time. However this is very early days and this is a 'teaser'. PT was also a teaser and that game was planned to be a 3rd person game so it is quite possible that RE7 could be exactly the same in terms of 1st or 3rd person. There are some nice little refferences I noticed and they could be easter eggs put there intentially or just guess work by myself but in the poster art for the game in the background looks like some sort of mansion which is iconic to RE. Also there is a young girl standing in the foreground which immediatley made me think of Natalia. If you pause the trailer at 2.06 minutes you will see a big man with something growing on his shoulder, G Virus or Uroboros?

I have played the demo and it took me around 10 minutes roughly to complete. The graphics are good but I feel like they could be a slight bit better. I think PT's graphics were better. Not a huge difference but there is a difference. The controls are extremely basic. There were 5 buttons that I found to work. X for action, R3 for crouch, analog for moving and push in analog for dash as well as R2 for zoom. The music was very good and creepy. The story seemed to revolve around a paranormal team who entered the house to investigate ghost apperances. There seem's to be a cult like family there like Texas Chainsaw. Initially in the trailer I thought it was zombies but the hillbillie like characters could just have deformities. Then again their skin could be that way due to a virus. The only thing I saw that made me think definatley a virus is the big man with something on his shoulder.The atmosphere was there and it felt creepy for the first time since Remake however it wasnt as creepy as I assumed it would be. Granted I played it when I woke up this morning and it was broad daylight and I am abit numb to getting scared due to video games or movies now. I did however jump twice both jump scares but I felt like they were warranted due to what was going on at the time.

I have so much more to say but I need to see more, read more, let it settle, discuss it so I will leave at it that for the time being.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

June 14, 2016 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

Well Capcom are being smart about this one. They have the remake of re2 coming too and that  will appeal to the longtime fans and keep them busy(only reason i'll buy it is maybe if it sales well they will remake cv but that's just me)

7 looks to me like a new Silent Hill combined with a steam indie horror game like the park which is awkward but hey, it's a bold new direction and with a Jan 2017 release it's just around the corner, so lets give it a chance

June 14, 2016 at 6:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

Now that I have had time to re-examine the trailer and demo I noticed a lot of RE imagery.

Outside shot of the abandoned farmhouse made me think of RE1 when you're running through the forest and in the clearing the mansion emerges.

The family portrait on the wall - we had family photographs in nearly every RE installment. The Trevor family, Barry's family, Birkin's family, and Ada with John, etc.

The mannequins and the baby doll reminded me of Alexia's dolls in CV.

The shot of what appears to be a woman in a black dress. It's an upshot angle. Reminiscent of the Alexia/Wesker confrontation on the grand staircase in CV. An upshot angle is a power position to illicit a sense of superiority.

The man in the wheelchair could simply be a nod to Mr. Spencer or may be the grandfather or indeed the patriarch of The Family.

The decaying dog harkens back to the Cerberus.

The newspaper reading "Ghosts Sighted In Bayou," well we had newspaper articles about S.T.A.R.S. in REmake.

The disgusting kitchen, we saw that in RE1, REmake and CV with the mess hall.

The fuses represent a classic RE type puzzle.

The photograph of the helicopter with the Umbrella logo may very well be an indication of Neo Umbrella and The Family.

I also find the three telephone dialogues very interesting. I think there is something to them. So I would like to ask everyone to think about them and dissect them.

"Memories hold the truth. Don't let appearances mislead you."

"You have the power to choose. But the outcome of that choice may not be what you expect."

"You will have to say goodbye eventually. But will you be ready?"

More to come...

June 14, 2016 at 11:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Naveed
https://abload.de/img/screenshot_2016-06-15zxjnu.png Captured this image from the trailer, character resembles hunk, I m using mobile
June 15, 2016 at 6:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M-Greg

I'm genuinely excited for this game. I'm just gonna put this out there now, I have a feeling all of this has something to do with Alex. The young black-haired figure makes me think Natalia, and at this point I have absolutely no doubt that Wheelman is Lord Spencer. Flashback? He survived Albert's mighty hand somehow? He's being forbidden to die in some way? I don't know, but I'm very damn eager to find out. I also have an early theory that I'm calling: the house could be Alex's childhood home. That is all!

--

The basis of controlling fear... Only those who've conquered fear deserve to rule the world.

June 15, 2016 at 10:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Have to agree. This has got me genuinely excited as well. If the beginning of the game plays such as the beginning of Call of Cthulhu where you investigate the townspeople, but instead investigate the remains of such an estate and nearby grounds, then drastically change to first person combat suddenly where you are running and fighting trying to escape. I would be overjoyed.

Like what was previously stated. This is a bold new move. Not many companies are willing to take chances these days so I can appreciate this. I am also very much interested in how this will connect to the story.

While I much prefer third-person. Gun Survivor showed me first-person in the Biohazard universe can be done and I can still enjoy it.

--

June 15, 2016 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

The camera angle does not bother me one bit. I love how people are slating Resident Evil by saying they stole from PT and Outlast. Those same people must have forgotten all the things that video games have stole from Resident Evil over the years. The series is responsible for surivival horror, fixed camera angles, tank controls, 360 spin, over the shoulder camera, save rooms and a hell of a lot more.So now the fact that Capcom are now using elements from other games is forbidden? They cannot always pave the way. Believe me I would love for them to come up with something fresh and new but with almost everything already being a cliche at this point it is very difficult to do such a thing. I am already becoming quite tired of these walking simulator games. If 1-3 was fixed angles, 4-6 was over the shoulder and now 7-9 would be FPS I am fine with that but I dont want a decade of walking simulator games. The problem with those kinds of games is the replay value. I throughly enjoyed games like Firewatch and Welcome to the Rapture however I could not replay those games for at least a full year maybe longer.

I enjoyed the demo on my first playthrough but when it came to my second and third it started to feel like going through the motions. That jump scare was no longer fun, the controls started to become drab.The graphics for this demo are no where near the quality of PT. The puzzles are similar to PT but with PT it actually felt like I was doing this for a reason. PT felt like it was going somewhere and I was getting closer to an end goal whereas with the RE7 demo it just felt like I was doing something random that had no significant outcome. The endings are all the same just in different locations or with an extra line of dialogue. I think it tries to be clever but just falls back on its ass. I spent hours with the axe and dummy finger trying it in crazy situations like trying to put the finger into a light socket. I tried everything! Unless it turns out to be something silly like spin, crouch, swing axe, spin, axe, crouch and then a door opens well that would just be turd. I know the ghost appearing seem's to be quite random and I have experienced all endings discovered and still have yet to see her.

I much prefer the style over that of RE6 and if this has a good story which relates to the main series I am sure I will love this game but I do have frustrations with the demo if they put the finger and axe in there for no reason other than to confuse the hell out of people. That would be annoying. The demo has worked for the purpose Capcom created it and everyone is talking about it. Good, bad or indifferent people are talking. I have no problems with the camera style hell I dont even care if we dont have a gun. I just want the puzzles to make sense, the story to be relevant, decent characters and I hope the pacing of the game picks up sometimes and it is not just a walking sim with one pace throughout.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

June 15, 2016 at 12:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

So that's 60$ for the game, 399$ for the vr and 30$ for the playstation move

:(

June 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

SarahLy at June 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM

I'm assuming/hoping you can just play with a regular controller. Have not played or seen the playable demo yet. There's no way I'll play this with VR or motion controls.

I'll probably wait on buying the game anyway since I heard two story DLC packs were announced, but only for preorder of the digital version. I'll wait until they come out with a physical release with the DLC packs on disc. Still need to purchase a PS4, which I wasn't going to, but I'm caving in now.

--

June 15, 2016 at 9:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

SE: If you are going to pick up a PS4 I would say wait for as long as you possibly can. There is not a whole lot on the console worth playing right now. Uncharted 4, Until Dawn and.....thats about it. This is one of the worst consoles I have ever owned and I have owned about 80% since Commodore 64. Why it has out sold Xbox by 3 to 1 I really am dumb founded although I cant really say that is a decent console either. Thats enough of that though.

Here is a nice article by IGN with some more information about the game.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/15/e3-2016-13-things-you-should-know-about-resident-evil-7

--

June 15, 2016 at 9:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

SamuraiEdge at June 15, 2016 at 9:14 PM

SarahLy at June 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM

I'm assuming/hoping you can just play with a regular controller. Have not played or seen the playable demo yet. There's no way I'll play this with VR or motion controls.

I'll probably wait on buying the game anyway since I heard two story DLC packs were announced, but only for preorder of the digital version. I'll wait until they come out with a physical release with the DLC packs on disc. Still need to purchase a PS4, which I wasn't going to, but I'm caving in now.

VR is not a must but i feel it'll make the game and you can play with a regular controller but i have a feeling it'll make the game more fun.

What?, they already announced two story dlc packs?....damn you capcom, really =/

June 16, 2016 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

I definitely will wait as long as I can CrimsonElder. I've already purchased my first PS4 game with the remaster of 6. Plan on buying 5 and 4 Remaster as well. I preordered the Asia physical release of Umbrella Corps and will purchase Bio 7 down the line. Remake of Bio 2 I'm still not entirely sure on. Other than the Biohazard games there isn't much else for me, and sadly most of the games I'm buying are just remasters from previous gen. The Last Guardian and Nioh are the only ones of interest for me. No idea if I'll get Phantom Pain at this point.

Feelings about Capcom's decision there is mutual SarahLy.

--

June 16, 2016 at 12:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

I have to admit, Capcom really did suprise me with this. I had no idea anything like this was coming from them at all. After getting over the suprise and shock of it all I must say, I really like it.

Yes it is very different to anything else in the series and yes, it is clearly heavily influenced by PT. But I by no means think this is a bad thing at all. I really enjoyed playing PT and think it was great how it got everyone talking and trying to figure out the puzzles and how to "finish" the demo.

I have not yet played the demo as I dont have PS+, but from talking to friends and watching several hours of gameplay Im very impressed by it. It is by no means a traditional RE game but I do not beleive the final game will play anything like this demo. This is again similar to what PT was going to be, first person demo, third person game.

The Trailer and the demo really do scream Silent Hill to me rather than Resident Evil, but I do think it is bold of Capcom to make such a change. The demo and trailer both have hints about who might be involved but this is still very unclear at the moment.

I like the title of the game, and think the VII in Evil and 7 In Biohazard is very clever and looks really smart.

I guess 3 of the biggest questions at the moment are, who is it who Welcomes us to the family; what the hell does the Finger you find actually do,  and who is the woman on the end of the phone.

To me the woman sounds like Ada but in all honesty this demo may have little if anything to do with the final game and is just a way to build hype and get people talking,

Again, this really was not what I was expecting but Capcom have really done a good job at getting people talking about it. Its been a long time since iv'e seen this much discussion and excitement for the series online as a whole, not just on fan forums. 

June 16, 2016 at 5:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JC Wesker

Ok, now I'm hoping I'm not going too much against the grain here at CHE, but here are my musings:

The first-person viewpoint, and the 'back to basics' horror is obviously Capcom's new pillar of intent, & we already know that this is more of a 'Concept Demo', & will not appear in the ‘Main Game’; it's Capcom saying, 'this is what we're going for in terms of both environment & atmosphere’....

Happy enough with that, for now, but, I really don't want something that is too disconnected from the franchise.... again.... and I'm looking at what 4 brought to the mix. That is to say, it revolutionised the gameplay of not only the Resident Evil series, but Video Games in general, but, at the time, it had little to no relevance to the overall RE plot, and it wasn't until Separate Ways, and 5, that we finally got a little more perspective....

Don't get me wrong, the tension and the fear factor in Beginning Hour is wonderful, but I guess for me, the hallmarks of Resident Evil go beyond the horror that was presented here, and with what Capcom have lead with, though remarkable in its own right, has left me a little…. unsure.

Love it or hate it, 6 was very ambitious in scope, & quite epic in nature, so it was always going to be very difficult to go 'bigger', especially not without the existing gameplay infrastructure, and most people wanted Capcom to make a hard U-Turn on all of that, so, when they say that they have listened to the fans, they have done so.

& we now have the makings of a video game with: a up close & personal first person viewpoint; environments dripping w/ atmosphere; small, claustrophobic rooms & corridors; exploration; & puzzles…. It’s definitely looking good in that respect.

& it also very much means that Capcom are finally making good on the 'we're going back to RE's roots' statement.

However, since Capcom imply that they are introducing brand new characters, I really hope that the story/plot brings in some familiarity. There needs to be more than just a 'loose' continuance, as far as the story is concerned, even if no pre-existing characters return, which I admit makes sense to do so at this point, because all of RE's protagonists are action heroes, now, & a new character's perspective is now likely the only way to truly experience the horror of this universe, in both an effective and, above all else, realistic fashion.

I know they've also said it's set after the events of 6, but, despite what Capcom is saying, this still feels like a 'soft' reboot, though definitely not a 'hard' reset. Nevertheless, 20 years is a long time to invest in a series, and it's many character arcs, and though I welcome it if they're establishing someone new, I just hope that we have more than just 'subtle nods' to what has come before....

On a positive note, I also say well done to Capcom for taking the risk that they have done; in a world where most franchises, (and I'm not just talking about VG's), do tend to follow the same old road, until eventually, it descends into both mediocrity and unprofitability, whereupon it's finally run into the ground for good. Point being, I know no-one here would want Biohazard to fall into that trap, and it looks like Capcom are taking the necessary steps to once again put this beloved series back on track.... and back on top.

When it comes down to it, the discussion 7 is generating is already a win for Capcom, and it’s lovely to see the intrigue and excitement from people who have both love and respect for the series.

Now, despite all of this waffle, I'm not going to rant any further about what 7 may or not be, because, let’s face it, we don't know anything yet.

I never had a problem with the change of direction they made 10 years ago, and I don't have a problem now.

I guess I’m just feeling a little cautious…. yeah…. just cautious.

--

"Sure I'm not human anymore, but just look at the power I've gained!!"

June 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

JC Wesker at June 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Ok, now I'm hoping I'm not going too much against the grain here at CHE, but here are my musings:

The first-person viewpoint, and the 'back to basics' horror is obviously Capcom's new pillar of intent, & we already know that this is more of a 'Concept Demo', & will not appear in the ‘Main Game’; it's Capcom saying, 'this is what we're going for in terms of both environment & atmosphere’....

Happy enough with that, for now, but, I really don't want something that is too disconnected from the franchise.... again.... and I'm looking at what 4 brought to the mix. That is to say, it revolutionised the gameplay of not only the Resident Evil series, but Video Games in general, but, at the time, it had little to no relevance to the overall RE plot, and it wasn't until Separate Ways, and 5, that we finally got a little more perspective....

Don't get me wrong, the tension and the fear factor in Beginning Hour is wonderful, but I guess for me, the hallmarks of Resident Evil go beyond the horror that was presented here, and with what Capcom have lead with, though remarkable in its own right, has left me a little…. unsure.

Love it or hate it, 6 was very ambitious in scope, & quite epic in nature, so it was always going to be very difficult to go 'bigger', especially not without the existing gameplay infrastructure, and most people wanted Capcom to make a hard U-Turn on all of that, so, when they say that they have listened to the fans, they have done so.

& we now have the makings of a video game with: a up close & personal first person viewpoint; environments dripping w/ atmosphere; small, claustrophobic rooms & corridors; exploration; & puzzles…. It’s definitely looking good in that respect.

& it also very much means that Capcom are finally making good on the 'we're going back to RE's roots' statement.

However, since Capcom imply that they are introducing brand new characters, I really hope that the story/plot brings in some familiarity. There needs to be more than just a 'loose' continuance, as far as the story is concerned, even if no pre-existing characters return, which I admit makes sense to do so at this point, because all of RE's protagonists are action heroes, now, & a new character's perspective is now likely the only way to truly experience the horror of this universe, in both an effective and, above all else, realistic fashion.

I know they've also said it's set after the events of 6, but, despite what Capcom is saying, this still feels like a 'soft' reboot, though definitely not a 'hard' reset. Nevertheless, 20 years is a long time to invest in a series, and it's many character arcs, and though I welcome it if they're establishing someone new, I just hope that we have more than just 'subtle nods' to what has come before....

On a positive note, I also say well done to Capcom for taking the risk that they have done; in a world where most franchises, (and I'm not just talking about VG's), do tend to follow the same old road, until eventually, it descends into both mediocrity and unprofitability, whereupon it's finally run into the ground for good. Point being, I know no-one here would want Biohazard to fall into that trap, and it looks like Capcom are taking the necessary steps to once again put this beloved series back on track.... and back on top.

When it comes down to it, the discussion 7 is generating is already a win for Capcom, and it’s lovely to see the intrigue and excitement from people who have both love and respect for the series.

Now, despite all of this waffle, I'm not going to rant any further about what 7 may or not be, because, let’s face it, we don't know anything yet.

I never had a problem with the change of direction they made 10 years ago, and I don't have a problem now.

I guess I’m just feeling a little cautious…. yeah…. just cautious.

I don't think it's about the fans or returning to the roots. They had 600 developers on 6 and 120 on this, the rest are working on the remake :). So they are coming up with something cheaper from a new first person perspective that's guaranteed to create buzz since the visuals are nothing to write home about. I'll buy it because it looks like a cool vr game and I'll buy mostly anything with RE attached to it but I'm genuinely hoping there's more to this than just "aww first person!" gimmick
June 16, 2016 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

I know they said there was 120 people who worked on this but to me that doesnt mean there will be 120 workin on 7 overall. This demo had minimal voice acting and was a relativley small scale setting, it wouldnt have required the 600+ team they had on 6 to produce. I would presume there is still a large scale team behind the final game. Im also of the beleif that they wont do the final game as first person. PT was a trail in first person with a thrid person game planned after it. I think this will be the same.

June 17, 2016 at 5:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

For some reason I am getting a Wesker Children Project vibe, but then again, I am probably completely wrong.

June 18, 2016 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.