CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE SPENCER MANSION > Michael McConnohie Exclusive Interview

George Trevor
Site Owner

Crimson Head Elder will be the first site to officially interview any of Capcom's actors for Resident Evil Revelations 2. And for this world premiere there was only one man we could bring to our mansion, and to all our survival horror residents.

Michael McConnohie, industry legend & figurehead, anime & video game voice actor, film actor, voice director, script writer, casting director, and of course actor for Barry Burton will be our next star quest, featuring exclusively live on the Crimson Head Elder Podcast file #7. Residents can submit their questions below, to be asked live on this upcoming exclusive:

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

May 11, 2016 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator
Can he remember anything getting cut from Rev2? The game files has more episodes then what we actually have.
--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

May 11, 2016 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

This is going to be fun and exciting. :D Questions for the sir:

1: What is it like to voice Barry when you know the legacy of him with the original VA and that of Ed Smaron? 

2: Was it fun playing a loveable character that many fans enjoy and some having dubbed him 'Papa Bear Barry'?

3: Have you seen any of the original gameplay scenes from the first game and that of REmake in order to understand Barry and why people enjoy him?

4: When recording, do you recall any funny moments when reading the script or interaction with any staff?

5: Have you ever gotten the chance to meet Ed Smaron? 

6: In your life, did you ever believe you would voice a Resident Evil character? 

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

May 11, 2016 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3
Another interview?! Man you're on fire GT! My questions for Mr. McConnohie are these - 1. Were you aware of the RE franchise before being approached for this role? 2. What would you say makes your portrayal of Barry Burton different from past incarnations? 3. Were you asked to Voice Match any previous performance of Barry by other Voice Actors? 4. What word first comes to mind when you think of the character Barry Burton?
May 11, 2016 at 8:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Wenpei Mao

1. Did you see the final product with your voice in the game? What do you think of your work on the game?

2. Did you have any direct contact with anybody from Capcom give you pointers about the direction of the character?

3. Are you currently working on anything related to Resident Evil? :D

4. Have you met any of the voice actors from the Resident Evil franchise?

--

May 11, 2016 at 9:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ray Redfield

I am pleased to be asking more lame yet curious questions for the people who are involved in the game that I love the most. So questions for Mr McConnohie ..

1) what do you think of Barry's character in Resident Evil Revelations

2) Do you think he has developed more since the first Resident Evil?

3) There were a number of people suggesting the elimination of Barry Burton in upcoming Resident Evil games, do you agree to that suggestion or do you believe that he could be one of the important assets in developing the game's main storyline?

4) If you are Barry Burton and you have to choose one of the Resident Evil characters as your partner, who will you choose?

5) Do you think Barry Burton deserves a Resident Evil game with him as the main protagonist?

I think that's all. :)

--

Fantasy is I am a wingless angel made in heaven. Reality is I am a human born in the beautiful land of the mysterious missing flights.

May 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

More questions, if some are repeated, I do apologize.

1: Because of how actors portrayed the character in pervious game, were you given any instructions on how to play Barry?

2: Did he study Barry from previous games? If so did he find it as funny as the fans at how stiff and hammy his voice acting was in the original game?

More will come to me eventually.

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

May 12, 2016 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

Have you played any of the past games? 

--

May 13, 2016 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

Awesome just awesome - these interviews pull me into the games even more now that I learn about the experiences of the voice actors with them. I'm a massive Michael McConnohie fan from his WoW work. I had no idea he was also one of my most favorite RE characters too - the awesome Barry Burton!! So now the secret is out I have to ask why were the actors identities for Revelations 2 shrouded in such secrecy?

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

May 18, 2016 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Looking forward to this one. Excellent work again GT. Michael has an impressive resume and is leggit one of the buisest voice actors in the industry. Cant wait to hear his thoughts on the series and voice acting as a whole. Sorry it took me so long to post my questions I just thought long and hard about them.

1) You have an extensive background in all sorts of avenues in the acting industry. From voice acting in games, anime and animation, live action movie roles all the way to directing, script writing and audio books. Which of these roles did you enjoy the most? Which was most challenging and which role are you most proud of?

2) Which of your roles do you feel that you have received most attention/credit for?

3) I see that you have a role in many anime movies. Have you spent much time in Japan? Do you speak the language? I have attempted many times at trying to learn Japanese it seems like one of the most difficult languages to translate.

4) I see that you can also speak in many dialects/accents. I couldnt help but notice that you have a great British, Irish and Scotish accent. Being Welsh myself I would love to hear you add this one to your resume.

5) Are you a gamer yourself? What games do you prefer to play? Or if not what are your hobbies? Favourite movies, tv shows, music etc etc.

6) How do you feel about current video games? I think that the influx of DLC and micro transactions has become too big of a concern for developers and a lot of content is now being cut and held back whereas in the past it would have been included with the main game. Games like Destiny and Fallout have suffered for these reasons with content/story being held back to sell at an extra price at a later date.

7) Video game voice actors such as yourself, Nolan North, Troy Baker, Roger Craig Smith, Laura Bailey and so on have now become celebrities in their own right due to their careers in voice acting. Due to motion capture and advances in technology. Recording dialogue and motions for a video game has now become a serious acting career up there with movies and stage plays. It is an art and now a legitimate role for any actor to undertake. I am glad it has now reached this stage and some of the performances I have seen in videogames are second best to none. Just wondering what you’re thoughts are on this?

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

May 20, 2016 at 9:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

I am so hyped for this interview, MM is my favorite WOW voice actor and I had not a clue that he was Barry Burton.

I would like to know from the great man himself was he asked to voice match with Ed Smaron? Did Capcom show the REmake cut-scenes with Barry's dialogue and character on display? Were there any challenges particular to your Rev2 gig that were not relevant to your work with WOW?

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

May 21, 2016 at 5:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Really wonderful questions from the CHE residents as always! I have my own question for Mr McConnohie. Do you see any value in keeping a character's voice actor consistent through a series of game sequels, and if a change in actor is to be had, do you feel it necessary to any degree to voice match with the previous incumbent? 

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

May 21, 2016 at 6:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert Wesker 187

Question 1. What originally got you interested in acting?

Question 2. How did you make the “leap” to professional acting?

Question 3. What was your “big break” that got you noticed in the industry?

--

"The only thing that can defeat power is more power. That is the one constant in this universe. However, there is no point in power if it consumes itself. I will enlist the help of an old friend against our common foe; I will use one pawn to eliminate the other, and emerge with the spoils for myself... "

May 21, 2016 at 6:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

More questions.

1: What is your favorite thing to do in your acting life?

2: We always ask this at the end of the podcast: May we have your autograph?

3: Do you plan on working with Capcom more in the future?

4: Did Capcom give you any issues when they asked you to voice Barry, if you aren't allowed to say, we'll move on.

5: Have you attenteded any conventions? In which folks knew who you were?

--

May 21, 2016 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr. Spencer

Glad you could make it, Uther.

--

He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

May 22, 2016 at 8:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WiskUK

The idomitable Michael McConnohie eh? Quite the exclusive the CHE team have managed to secure. I have a ton of World of Warcraft questions for the great man but dont know if they are allowed? If not I do have one little Resi question too: Did Capcom make you aware of just how iconic the character was within RE folklore that you would be playing, and how much of Barry's biography from the other games did they provide you with? Also were you given any indication that Barry (& your services!) would be required for a sequel?

--

Take the Green Herb?

May 22, 2016 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Mr. Spencer at May 22, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Glad you could make it, Uther.

@Morpheus Duvall: Our resident World of Warcraft expert and fellow interviewer for this privilaged exclusive, Mr. Spencer, I am sure will try and slip in as many nerdy Warcraft questions as he can, so I am sure we can allow you at least one ;)

Thinking about Mr McConnohie's script writing for Japanese genres including anime, I came up with another question I would like to ask: The earlier games in the series felt far more influenced by Japanese culture and Japanese video game styles than the recent releases that have felt far more 'Holywood' and stylised to catour more to an American/European fan base. Sales have increased but the quality of the product has definitly nose dived. Are you a gamer yourelf and as such aware of this and either way what are your thoughts on this?

--

May 22, 2016 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Yoke

1. Have you ever been to Canada? If so, tell us about it (is it really a good place to go if you're being hunted by a evil corporation?). If you haven't, would you like to go?

2. Are you a gun collector?

3. Was it difficult to voice Barry?

4. How different is Barry to the other characters you normally voice?

5. Do you have anything coming out you want us to know about?

May 26, 2016 at 7:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr. Spencer

WiskUK at May 22, 2016 at 8:25 PM

The idomitable Michael McConnohie eh? Quite the exclusive the CHE team have managed to secure. I have a ton of World of Warcraft questions for the great man but dont know if they are allowed? If not I do have one little Resi question too: Did Capcom make you aware of just how iconic the character was within RE folklore that you would be playing, and how much of Barry's biography from the other games did they provide you with? Also were you given any indication that Barry (& your services!) would be required for a sequel?

I'll be delighted to ask questions you might have pertaining to his work on Warcraft. Are you Horde or Alliance?

--

He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

May 27, 2016 at 2:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

THANK YOU to all the residents here who submitted questions for this wonderful exclusive. File #6 of the Crimson Head Elder Podcast has gone live and opens with one of our most fascinating & insightful interviews, made possible from a combination of these first class questions and Mr McConnohie's outstandingly high levels of generosity, consideration, and respect for our Resident Evil community. The podcast concludes with an extensive review & debate of the Resident Evil 7 demo:

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

July 8, 2016 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.