CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Other locations for outbreaks?

ResiEvilChic96

In the RE series, we've been to a lot of different locations from the fictional mid-western town of Raccoon City in the US, Antartica, Spain, Africa, China, and Eastern Europe (just to name some). Is there anywhere else anybody would like to see the series go next? I kind of want to see an outbreak happen at the BSAA's North American HQ. I mean the facility could go on lockdown and maybe Jill and a small group of BSAA employees have to escape the facility? I don't know, just tossing something out there.

March 1, 2016 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Used to have conversations like this with my younger brother.

India and rural Japan are my top two at the moment. Infected Bengal tigers plus a plethora of wildlife and plant life in India. The architecture of ruins/buildings in India is also great. The forests of rural Japan are magnificent. These two locales would make me very excited. Take advantage of nightfall in the rural areas and you have yourself a horrific environment to find yourself in.

March 1, 2016 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Funny enough I said the samething only the other day. If they decide to go bigger than RE6 in terms of scale of the outbreak then wouldn't it make sense to go after the BSAA first? So their headquarters makes sense as a place to set the next Resident Evil.

We have never seen anything that takes place in Britain so being from there that would be interesting. I did really enjoy the locations in Africa and I am always a sucker for a location in the woods. I know they have been done but personally I would still be interested in seeing more. I think in terms of envrioment locations the only place we havent been yet is space so its a tricky one.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

March 1, 2016 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

They haven't really touched Britain, have they? India sounds kind of cool too,
Yeah, about a few months back I did have a conversation about maybe them going after the BSAA too. I had saw some thread that was part of  role-play that was about  a siege on the BSAA and I started thinking about that, 
Space, huh? That would be tricky! LOL! I just started about thinking about one of those Friday the 13th sequels that took place in space. Probably not wise to use that as an example!

March 2, 2016 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

Well there's these locations they can use. Umbrella Corps has stories with there maps so maybe  we'll get more small tidbits like that for other areas.
--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

March 2, 2016 at 12:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3

I'd love to see somewhere remote again. Possibly the woods in Canada or the UK. Set almost completely outside.

With the UK you could do somewhere near the coast. Based in and around an abandoned Lighthouse Ala Caliban Cove.

In Canada you could do it sometime in the fall or winter. Seeing a Zombified Grizzly Bear would be sweet. Especially if it was done like the Bear Chase in Condemned 2.

March 2, 2016 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vossk

I'd love to see a small town in the middle of the desert like the one we explore in Parasitte Eve II.

March 2, 2016 at 8:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

Vossk at March 2, 2016 at 8:37 PM

I'd love to see a small town in the middle of the desert like the one we explore in Parasitte Eve II.

Parasite Eve II producer Kenichi Iwao could teach the current Capcom development team a thing or two on constructing a true survival horror video game.

Location has always been an integral part of getting that formula right, one of the reasons I could never take Resident Evil 5 serioulsy. I'm not one for huge, expansive areas with a global threat, it kills the claustrophobia and makes me feel distant from the heart of the story, which is why Resident Evil 6 leaves me cold and uninterested. Compact, isolated locations is what I want from a game purporting to be in the survival horror genre. Although I don't think Capcom are concerend no more to argue Resident Evil falls into that catagory - I imagine they want to take the series into 'action horror' - meh!

Take Resident Evil 7 into the woods of the Blair Witch Project, with a collection of creepy stone buildings and other outhouses, wooden shacks abandoned long ago and an open world path leading to survival - now that would be far more interesting than saving the world again & again from the usual madman. Revelations II had a short section like this, it was easily my favorite chapter of all episodes - I'd like to see Capcom develop this idea thru to a main title now.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

April 2, 2016 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

Bl00dy3y3 at March 2, 2016 at 4:11 PM

I'd love to see somewhere remote again. Possibly the woods in Canada or the UK. Set almost completely outside.

With the UK you could do somewhere near the coast. Based in and around an abandoned Lighthouse Ala Caliban Cove.

In Canada you could do it sometime in the fall or winter. Seeing a Zombified Grizzly Bear would be sweet. Especially if it was done like the Bear Chase in Condemned 2.

My interest piqued when I heard a net rumor that RE7 was to be set in London. Any forest location works for me and I could never work out why such an environment hasnt been used more often by Capcom in any of their survival horror franchises not just RE. For the UK though it would have to be a complex of abandoned ruined Victorian buildings. That would be super spooky with a feel like the Spencer mansion offering similar historic features but across a different location.

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

April 21, 2016 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

I like this question. Like a previous comment, I like the idea of using a coastal location. I have been fascinated with Norway for a long time, and think this would prove an exceptional location due to its long coastline and rugged terrain, also being fairly well forested. The landscape is both bleak and beautiful, and these are the two adjectives I would apply to Resident Evil at its most definitive. Also, the far north, i.e. Tromso (where I lived for a while) has perpetual night for a couple of months, which would make for a wonderful experience. I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more "exotic" locations such as India or Africa.

April 23, 2016 at 6:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Vossk at March 2, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Would love this also. Dryfield is amazing. Focus on a small town while spending a good amount of time there accomplishing goals and unlocking new routes/doors. I fear that style is gone forever though. It never ceases to amaze me that those small locales had more depth and influence for me than the massive set pieces we are getting now.

I  know we had a bunch of cruise ship locales and it will be nothing new, but I could go for another one. A castle near a coastal place would also be perfect for me. I would also go for another round to Antarctica. Incorporate the harsh climate into the gameplay like in The Thing for the Xbox/PS2. Research bases, mines, Cargo Ships, etc..

--

April 23, 2016 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

Lots of good ideas floating about. I, like many other people I've heard discussing this over the years would like to see a RE set some sort of woodland or wilderness. For me the Woodland sections in REV2 were one of the most terrefying sections and I feel they would work well provided certain areas come up from time to time. After replaying The Last Of Us again latley it reminded me how stunning the woodland environments are. Im imagining things like zombies washing up down stream, trying to seak refuse of old cabins on route somewhere, finding other survivors etc who are either in need of help or aggresive. Just a few thoughts but I think theres alot that could be done. Come to think of it, it could even be something along the lines of a rainforest etc.

May 12, 2016 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

comicbooknerd at May 12, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Lots of good ideas floating about. I, like many other people I've heard discussing this over the years would like to see a RE set some sort of woodland or wilderness. For me the Woodland sections in REV2 were one of the most terrefying sections and I feel they would work well provided certain areas come up from time to time. After replaying The Last Of Us again latley it reminded me how stunning the woodland environments are. Im imagining things like zombies washing up down stream, trying to seak refuse of old cabins on route somewhere, finding other survivors etc who are either in need of help or aggresive. Just a few thoughts but I think theres alot that could be done. Come to think of it, it could even be something along the lines of a rainforest etc.

Having played those forest areas of The Last Of Us I just cannot understand why Capcom have never used that enviroNment as the setting of the next outbreak. There's so much scope for creepy atmosphere like the views from the Spencer Mansion that were tantalisingly in the distance but inaccessible. The forest section was the only original horror element of REV2 not lifted from a previous game and they were annoyingly brief. I comepletely agree with you comicbooknerd Capcom should look serioulsy at those TLOU locations for inspiration in a woodland outbreak.

Talking of rainforests I'm thinking of Operation Javier and a lost opportunity Capcom :P

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

May 18, 2016 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

comicbooknerd

James Marcus at May 18, 2016 at 4:10 PM

comicbooknerd at May 12, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Having played those forest areas of The Last Of Us I just cannot understand why Capcom have never used that enviroNment as the setting of the next outbreak. There's so much scope for creepy atmosphere like the views from the Spencer Mansion that were tantalisingly in the distance but inaccessible. The forest section was the only original horror element of REV2 not lifted from a previous game and they were annoyingly brief. I comepletely agree with you comicbooknerd Capcom should look serioulsy at those TLOU locations for inspiration in a woodland outbreak.

Talking of rainforests I'm thinking of Operation Javier and a lost opportunity Capcom :P

Operation Javier cutscenes looked great in the jungle. Could definitely see a game set around that sort of environment. I think a forest setting would work well, as you mentioned before about the surrounding area of the mansion could easily fill a game! As a kid I would often play out in the woods building dens and generally messing about, that sort of location to me would be so much more atmospheric than a desert setting or underwater lab.
May 18, 2016 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.