CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community Site & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Alan McElroy Resident Evil script

AvP Ryu

I have learned of a third script for a film adaptation of Resident Evil by the screenwriter Alan McElroy. McElroy was the screenwriter chosen after George Romero had been fired. Here is a summary made by a member of THIA called ronin_akikage:

After reading last month's article on videogame movie news in this very section, a PSM fan involved with the Resident Evil film has leaked a copy of the script into our eager hands. The version of the script that we got may not have been the final shooting version, but it is one of the later revisions. The story is written by Alan McElroy, the same guy who wrote the Spawn movie. While it's definitely not the greatest screenplay ever written, it does manage to capture the feel of the game quite well, and may turn out to be a pretty good movie, especially for action/horror buffs. WARNING: If you do not want us to spoil what happens, do not read any further. But if you are a big Resident Evil fan like us, you have to know what the movie is going to be like!

It all starts off with a disturbance in the Raccoon Forest, where strange animals are mutilating campers and park rangers. A S.W.A.T team is sent in and is quickly destroyed by the mysterious creatures in the forest. At this point, the government gets involved. It recruits Wesker (who is in an asylum for some reason that is never explained) to break into a lab in the forest, presumably to rescue some scientists there. Wesker recruits his team members based on the specialties: Barry Barton is the all around military expert who has retired and now runs a restaurant, Chris Redfield is the expert at combat, Jill Valentine is a munition expert, and Brad Vickers is the medic. Unknown to the rest of the team, however, is that Brad is actually an imposter named Mike-- he is trying to find his girlfriend Becky, who was on the original S.W.A.T team sent into Raccoon Forest.

The team sets down in Raccoon forest and is almost immediately attacked by wild mutated dogs. They make a run for the lab.mansion in the middle of the forest and just barely make it there alive. They all get inside of the mansion, and that;s where things really heat up. They confront more of the dogs, along with giant wasps, tarantulas, and of course, zombies. It's all-out tension and action as the group keeps losing members to each new threat, and ammo runs lower and lower. Eventually they find the scientist they are supposed to rescue, and it turns out that the whole situation was an insiduous trap. They were to be infected with the T-virus and then allowed to escape to spread the virus to the rest of the world. Jill and Chris (the only ones left) get a hold of the antidote and escape from the building just as it is exploding, only to be persued by the tyrant (who actually turns out to be a mutated Wesker). They finally fight off the Tyrant, take the antidote, and walk off into the sunset.

The films current form is ultra violent. It will be interesting to see whether it's toned down for a PG-13 rating, or if the director just goes all-out for an "R". It is also interesting to note that no mention is made of either the S.T.A.R.S. team or Umbrella Corp. But overall, the screenplay is a good basis for a potentially great movie, and we can't wait to see how it turns out!"

MEMORABLE SCENES: While the movie's dialog isn't exactly top-notch, quite a few tense scenes stand out.

- Team members sneak their way across a room filled with corpses that might be zombies (ooo, creepy!).

- A giant spider corners the team when they run out of ammo, with zombies also about to bust in.

- Team members get trapped in a service elevator, where they are surrounded by mutated hornets.

- And what RE movie would be complete without a Jill Valentine shower scene?

Alan McElroy /Screenwriter/ Spawn (1997), Halloween 4: The Return of Micheal Meyers (1988)

Bernd Eichingerr /Producer/ Smilla's Sense of Snow (1997), Ballerman 6 (1997)

George Sluizer /Director/ The Vanishing (1993), Crimetime (1996), The Commissioner (1998)

Well there's the summary. I would like to read this script. If someone gets McElroy contact details, please pass them on here for a potential interview with McElroy regarding this screenplay .

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

February 24, 2016 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

This sounds WAY better then Romero's script. But I'd love to find out more before I say it's better than Anderson's first movie. 

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

February 24, 2016 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

First I had heard of this. I prefer the Romero version followed by this. Thanks for sharing though AVP really interesting. I actually enjoyed Halloween 4 except for the annoying little girl she ruined it abit and Wrong Turn is a great movie. Seem's he is working with WWE studios alot now for his later movies.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 24, 2016 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

Crimson Elder, also seems that screenwriter Kevin Williamson of the film screams, also made a script.

'' Only thing I know is That It takes place in the near future, where Umbrella has cured all diseases. They construct the T-Virus and hold the world at ransom for the cure. The virus leaks into Raccoon City and the team must go and get the cure. THIS COULD ALSO BE PART OF DRAFT MCELROY, the this was all I ever heard from on this script, but never any of the details listed McElroy above.''

USS Command

Also discover new RE 2 script information: nemesis.

''I Know que original script his is the first sequel (originally known the Resident Evil: Nemesis) had a more ambitious plot and Set pieces. If I remember Correctly, it was originally three separate plots (Alice, Jill, Claire!) And que throughout the film each character had Their own storyline, but met up at the end at the trainyard for the climax. Most of what was filmed is the slimmed / watered down version Where They rewrote the scenes so characters met up Earlier, Claire was cut out, etc. There was a rumor Chief Irons had a cameo. Nemesis May Have Been the connecting point between Them, or only Could have Been in Jill or Alice's scenario. I'm guessing They meet up at the trainyard During the deal to deliver the little girl. Not sure what else was changed. Probably the only Anderson script I wanna read. Also, FYI the scientist in Resident Evil que mentions the Nemesis program was William Birkin, played by Jason Issacs. In the sequel, the scientist named Dr. Issacs was originally William Birkin, but after They Could Not get Jason Issacs back to fill the role They renamed the character in his honor''.

I have to give credit to ronin_akikage for this information.

I'd really like to have in hands these screenplays.

Maybe someone to have and can share information.

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

February 24, 2016 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Oh man I love Kevin Williamson. Its a Scream baby! The faculty, Halloween H20 and The Following was ok. He also made some duds but those I mentioned are some of my favourite horror movies. Someone needs to contact Kevin and see if there's any truth in that.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 24, 2016 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bran

Hi everyone,

This is ronin akikage from THIA. Saw the topic and thought I'd chime in.

The McElroy draft was actually the first draft turned into the studio. At the time, they did not have a director, but once Romero was brought on board he dumped all the work and wrote his draft with Peter Grunwald.

To the best of my knowledge there are 5 writers, with one or more drafts to each:

McElroy draft (as above)

Unknown draft (credited to Kevin Williamson but unconfirmed). There are two different pieces known about this draft, but it may also be elements of McElroy's script.

Romero's drafts: claims he did multiple drafts due to the studio constantly changing what they wanted the film to be. Eventually, dissatisfied with him, they fired him and started fresh.

Unknown draft: Similar to the game, but only having zombies and the Tyrant in it. Everyone except Chris and Jill die. The twist is that Umbrella tricked them into the mansion to infect them so the virus spreads into the world. 

Anderson drafts: His original, and the heavily cut-down shoot script.

Hope this helps.

March 3, 2016 at 7:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bran

Here is additional information from 16 years ago (or so)... There was a brief article that someone sent in detailing two scripts for the movie. None of this has ever been validated, but you can read it verbatim and hopefully in the future we can get confirmation.

George A. Romero's Draft: This script was okay. It was not wonderful and had a sort of unsatisfactory ending, but It was tense and had some good characters. Contrary to the game, the lead character Chris Redfield is a guy from around town, and not a member of the elite S.T.A.R.S. And Jill Valentine is the leader of the S.T.A.R.S. team. What happens is that through the night one by one, the alpha and bravo team are attacked and killed by the zombies lurking inside the house. There's one twist though. The zombies are invicible and can only be killed by total dismemberment. This brings up the idea, to blow up the boiler and kill all of them.

2nd Draft: This one follows the game almost exactly. The zombies can only be killed by a shot through the head. All of the characters seem like the same person. There are continous scenes were Jill and Chris wonder into rooms filled with corpses. Wich makes you wonder why there were so many people in one mansion. The film relies on the story of the Umbrella company using the corpses for some genetic disease. By the end of the movie everyone, but Chris and Jill are dead. With no explanation, (except for a letter from a deceased person) Chris and Jill must fight a big evil monster. Of course once they kill the monster all the zombie's die. Weren't they dead to begin with. They couldn't go around the house and kill every zombie, because then the movie would be too long. This draft is horrible at best. It never really takes off, and becomes scary. It always has an unsuspecting someone being grabbed by a zombie and being chewed up in front of your very own eyes. They really should have stayed with the George A. Romero draft and worked on making it better.

March 9, 2016 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.