CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Timeline Questions

BSAArklay
Administrator

I am working through the timelines from several sites and have come across a few questions so far. I will be posting more at this thread but to start here are a few things I need help with.

Brandon Baileys date of birth? I cannot find this anywhere however on the Wiki page it says 1920's. I can only assume this is a random guess but I am clutching at straws that there is a source for this somewhere?

The Catacombs beneath Tall Oaks. Where these always there? Or man made? All I could gather is The Family uses them as a tomb. I thought that they created the place but it states there are signs of earlier inhabitants.

Did James Marcus become a professor after graduating his PHD and was Brandon Bailey his student at a university?

Do we know anything about Spencers parents or family history other than they lived in Europe.

For what purpose was the Arklay Spencer Mansion created? At this time Spencer had not officially met Marcus, Ashford or Bailey. They had not found the Progenitor so they had no reason to create Umbrella. Basically all that Spencer was at this time was a man who was rich because of his family. Was the Arklay mansion built for a simple vacation home? Why Raccoon City?

That is all I have for now. But that is a start considering I am only on page 2 of 60 at some timelines.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

No date of birth for Bailey. Given he is a student of Marcus, a 1940's estimate would be my guess. 

The Catacombs have always been there. They were built by a ancient race centuries ago and remnants of their statues can be seen in the game.

The only source that says Marcus is a university professor is the UC Side A novel. But Bailey later being created as his protoge and then Marcus becoming director of an Umbrella training school would lend credence to this fact.

No family history for Spencer at all, but that's part of the appeal.

Spencer already knew Marcus and Ashford long before 1962 when work started on the mansion. Marcus and Spencer were at university together and Edward Ashford and Marcus visited the European Spencer estate in the mid 1950's. Spencer had ties to the Raccoon City area.

Give me six months and I will have the largest, most extensive timeline available, covering the series from top to bottom. I'm almost finished after seven years working on it behind the scenes.

February 11, 2016 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Yeah I guess 40's would make more sense. God knows where that Wiki information came from.

Yeah I guess it does make sense about Marcus being a professor when you put it like that. Plus the fact that Marcus refers to Bailey as his favourite student. Those UC novels are non canon though unfortunatley. A lot of guess work on that one.

'Spencer already knew Marcus and Ashford long before 1962 when work started on the mansion. Marcus and Spencer were at university together and Edward Ashford and Marcus visited the European Spencer estate in the mid 1950's. Spencer had ties to the Raccoon City area.'

What the? Really where can I read about that Batman? That sounds awesome and explains alot.

You are also making one? Well that makes my work a little bit redundant now doesnt it. I may just continue anyway though because its a fun way to learn it and also makes things stick in your mind. Cant wait to see your timeline though be sure to share it with us.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 11, 2016 at 8:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

I personally put more credence in the UC books than I do the SD Perry books, purely because they were released at the same time as the game and clearly the author had access to insider materials. Wesker's Extra Report is referenced and it contains lots of nice detail. Basically I view the UC novel as I do the game, I take the extra bits but all the RE game segments are overruled by the original games they represent. So no Wesker mind-controlling B.O.W.s bullshit. I'm not saying it's strictly canonical but the novels answer many unanswered questions in the game such as why Sergei loves pain, where his bladed weapon came from and more information on Umbrella's downfall and the private anti-biohazard team. This info has not been contradicted or overruled by any other material. The same cannot be said of Perry's novels. Fair enough she had access to developer stuff too but her books have wrong dates, wrong characters (Mayor Warren, not Harris) and off course, differing fates for the characters. 

The Lost in Nightmares files. They mention time at university together and Patrick's diary talks about Ashford and Marcus visiting the Spencer Estate 50 years ago, which would date it at mid 1950s. If you examine the spencer emblem key in Remake it describes that the Spencer family has deep ties to this area, although I believe the Japanese translation says something different, I can't recall what off the top of my head.

I've been working on one since 2009 yes. The fact it's still not ready should give you an idea of the scope of the project and the level of excruciating detail I am aiming for. But I'm definitely on the home straight with it now.

February 11, 2016 at 9:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Thats what I like to do with most Resident Evil materials as long as it does not contradict I like to consider it as part of the universe. The thing about SD Perry's novels is and I wont go too much into it because we have the upcoming interview that will be at CHE very soon but Perry was given very little information on the games and history of the series. It is really quite suprising and the fact that Perry wrote these novels a long time ago only a few years after the release of the games so back then not even Capcom had all this information to choose from. There was no Project Umbrella or timeline. It really is interesting how little information she was afforded and despite this I think Perry did a great job with what she was given.

Now that you reffrence Lost in Nightmares it is coming back to me. I did not know about examining the Spencer emblem key though that is pretty cool. I am curious as to what the Japanese version said now. I wonder if it gave a more indepth description or just something completley different.

Wow that is a long time! Well I cannot wait to see the timeline Batman it sounds like a great deal of effort has gone into it and I promise people will appriciate it.

--

February 12, 2016 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Welsh

"Spencer had ties to the Raccoon City area."

Pretty sure this is a mistranslation, so I'll check it out. Spencer targeted Raccoon City due to its vast natural resources and wildlife.

--

February 12, 2016 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Yes I believe it is, though I cannot recall what it actually says. LIN added many years later that Spencer had no family anyway.

February 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

That sounds very plausable Welsh and makes sense thank you.

What do you mean that Spencer had no family Batman? I dont have a source but I swear that I remember reading that Spencer inherited the European Spencer Estate when his family passed on.

Here is a new question and I have skipped ahead to just prior to Zero but will be going back once I get the time to resume going through the timeline but this is something I noticed when I was going through the timeline just prior to playing RE Zero. If you take a look at Newsbot's PU timeline and look at the second entry on the date Wednesday July 22nd 1998.

This is the entry just for refference. '#At a hearing for case 3M-40059-A6565, U.S. Navy ensign Billy Coen is court martialled by an appointed panel of military jurors under the authority of Military Judge Colonel Thomas A. Festerberger at the 703rd military tribunal at Dunell Marine Base for the apparent first-degree murder of 23 civilians in Africa. He is found guilty on all counts, is stripped of his rank, all military benefits and his service pension, before being sentenced to death. He is transported by Marine M.P. s through the Arklay Mountains under the orders of a commander named Samuel Regan. The destination of the transport is the Regarthon Base, where Coen will be executed by hanging. The military jurors file a report on the case and also express distaste at how rushed it was carried out, suspecting foul play.'

However the key part here is. 'The destination of the transport is the Regarthon Base, where Coen will be executed by hanging.' I found this extremley odd and cannot find a source for this anywhere! Hanging was abolished a very long time ago and infact the last country to ban the execution was the UK but this was all the way back in 1965. Newsbot didnt seem to remember where this information came from and said it is not in his current timeline. Dont know if there is an answer for this and it was just a mistake but surley worth pointing out.

Also in the 1960's it has Edward Ashford starts out to find a virus that can promote organic evolution. Roughly around the sametime Alexander begins the Code Veronica project? How exactly is this? I cannot find any information in files or otherwise on the Code Veronica project until the 1970's when funnily enough the project is reaching its most critical phase.

Anyway thats all for now but I will surley be back with more.

--

February 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

The Spencer Estate has been in his family since the time of his great-grandfather, but Spencer himself has no immediate family - Patrick says as much in his memoirs. 

That stuff about Billy Coen comes from the English Bradygames Resident Evil Zero Guide. It's non-canon rubbish so I'm surprised he included it in his timeline.

Edward Ashford essentially began his search for the Progenitor Virus in the 1960s, that's what the reference means. He didn't start Code Veronica until 1969 when he realises he was not strong enough to carry on the work of his father after he died. The other family members believed he was tarnishing the family name so that's why he started Code Veronica; to provide a clone of Veronica that would elevate the Ashford's back to the forefront of Umbrella.

February 13, 2016 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

So Spencer's great-grandfather built the house? Maybe Patrick meant that he currently had no family. Since his parents had passed on. I see what you mean though yeah.

Ah those Brady guides always good for a laugh then.

I need to go through the Ashford family history again before I proceed any further with that because for some reason I get easily mixed up between Edward and Alexander. So both Alexander and Alfred where dissapointments to the family? What happened there? Alfred was also manufactually produced so its funny how he was exactly like his father.

--

February 13, 2016 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Apologies as this is not a timeline question but I did not want to make a whole new topic for this.

In the original Biohazard the "Orders" file, White Umbrella gets mentioned. This is not present in Remake and I have no knowledge if this was a translation error or not but I always thought this was a division of Umbrella. To add further fuel to this in the Oubreak games you find special items entitled Green Umbrella, Silver Umbrella, Crimson Umbrella, Sky Blue Umbrella, and Violet Umbrella. Each one having a "An olive-colored Umbrella emblazoned with a large Umbrella Corporation logo" when you examine it for each of their respective colors the above example being the one for Green Umbrella. The special Outbreak items are probably just Umbrella brand rain umbrellas in different colors but this always got to me.

Were these sections/divisions of Umbrella? If not does anyone know if these have any story information to them?

--

February 13, 2016 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Alexander was never gifted enough as a researcher. He was living in the shadow of his father who was recognised as one of the most gifted researchers ever. When Edward died, the Ashfords' lost much of their standing in Umbrella and fell behind in t-Virus research thanks to Alexander's shortcomings. This is why he devised the Code Veronica project. Alfred was also a disappointment because he was an unexpected by-product of the project. Alexander's goal was to create a clone of Veronica, so he was surprised when twins were born. Alfred had an above average IQ but was deranged, just like his sister. WR2 remarks that no one from Umbrella feared Alfred, though of course Birkin went on to see Alexia as a serious rival.

I'm sorry to say that White Umbrella is just a translation error. It doesn't exist. The items in Outbreak are literally just different coloured Umbrellas, they don't signify anything I'm afraid.

February 13, 2016 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Thanks TheBatMan, appreciate you clearing this up.

--

February 13, 2016 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

TheBatMan at February 11, 2016 at 8:15 PM

No date of birth for Bailey. Given he is a student of Marcus, a 1940's estimate would be my guess. 

The Catacombs have always been there. They were built by a ancient race centuries ago and remnants of their statues can be seen in the game.

The only source that says Marcus is a university professor is the UC Side A novel. But Bailey later being created as his protoge and then Marcus becoming director of an Umbrella training school would lend credence to this fact.

No family history for Spencer at all, but that's part of the appeal.

Spencer already knew Marcus and Ashford long before 1962 when work started on the mansion. Marcus and Spencer were at university together and Edward Ashford and Marcus visited the European Spencer estate in the mid 1950's. Spencer had ties to the Raccoon City area.

Give me six months and I will have the largest, most extensive timeline available, covering the series from top to bottom. I'm almost finished after seven years working on it behind the scenes.

I can't tell you how happy I am to see this. I have been waiting for you to finish and I am looking forward to it when you post it. There are so many questions and holes in certain facts that I have been dying to know. This will be one of the greatest contributions to the Resident Evil/Biohazard community to date. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication.

February 14, 2016 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

I have one more question for now that kind of falls into a timeline question.

In Biohazard Revelations you can find a newspaper detailing the Terragrigia Panic on the beach that says via examination text something like "Dated 2004, first bringing the attention of BOW's to the public". Now in Outbreak file 2 in Alyssa's epilogue she picks up a newspaper with an article title "What is BOW?". I assumed this meant BOW's were already brought to the publics attention via media after Raccoon City.

Am I correct to assume the examination text in Revelations was wrong or poorly translated?

--

February 14, 2016 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

SamuraiEdge at February 14, 2016 at 5:36 PM

I have one more question for now that kind of falls into a timeline question.

In Biohazard Revelations you can find a newspaper detailing the Terragrigia Panic on the beach that says via examination text something like "Dated 2004, first bringing the attention of BOW's to the public". Now in Outbreak file 2 in Alyssa's epilogue she picks up a newspaper with an article title "What is BOW?". I assumed this meant BOW's were already brought to the publics attention via media after Raccoon City.

Am I correct to assume the examination text in Revelations was wrong or poorly translated?

Not exactly. Remember, Raccoon was destroyed for three purposes:

1. To stop Umbrella securing the G-Virus (The U.S. Govt were unaware of Hunk's mission)

2. To destroy any evidence of U.S. involvement with Umbrella and B.O.W.s

3. To destroy the biohazard.

The bomb obviously wiped out all trace of the B.O.W.s so their existence could not be proven and was just speculation and rumour, despite survivors testimonies such as from Alyssa, Linda and Yoko. It remained this way up until Umbrella got really desperate after most of their high-end clientele were killed in the Spencer Rain incident. Desperate for money, they started flogging B.O.W.s to terrorists and rogue states and when the company finally folded, ex-employees took much of Umbrella's data and samples and bought themselves into rival organisations. The result of this was more incidents involving B.O.W.s all over the world, culminating in the very public Terragrigia Panic. Following this incident, B.O.W.s were publicly acknowledged as real and a dangerous threat to public safety. There were simply too many incidents for the world's governments to continue to deny their existence.

February 17, 2016 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Thanks for the explanation TheBatMan. Makes perfect sense and I can't believe I was clueless to that for all these years. I knew the true purposes of the eradication of Raccoon City but I automatically assumed with all the testimonies from the survivors and the involvement from the media, that it brought light to the existence of BOW's.

--

February 17, 2016 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Ok so I am now updating the timeline and am really struggling to find dates with later entrys in the series. I can find some years but never a month or day. I have been scanning through the Resident Evil 6 files and looking through Chris's files I managed to find around 4 entrys to put into the timeline and that was only the year.

I need to check that I have these projects in the right date and order as well. So we have Revelations 2 in early 2011 up until Claire leaves the island. Then 6 months later Revelations 2 continues so we remain in 2011. At this time Carla begins work on the C Virus, Simmons turns Carla into an Ada clone, the underwater Neo Umbrella facility is created and Ustanak is created. Wow Carla had a busy year in 2011. Then in 2012 we have Damanation, followed by Marhawa Desire. That leads us right into Resident Evil 6.

It really is crazy though how at the beginning of the timeline everything has a date whereas towards the end of the timeline I have a year every say half a page. It really did all go to shit after Resident Evil 5 because that game has more dates than any other entry all the way back to the 1700's.

--

February 18, 2016 at 11:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

I would advise caution if you are attempting a timeline, it's a hell of a lot of work, definitely more than you will be letting yourself in for. Like I said, I've been working on mine for 7 years and it's still not quite done. The series is so convoluted now and with so much hidden supllemental material than you need access to far, far more than just the games if you wish to develop something even remotely comprehensive. I would suggest keeping it simplistic as possible. But to answer your questions:

Many entries don't have dates and times. You need to do hours of deep-rooted research to even make half-accurate educated guesses, sometimes using six or seven different sources to piece it together - but that's also part of the fun.

Claire's campaign is in January 2011, Barry's is in July. Carla didn't begin work on the C-Virus in 2011, she actually began in 2001.

Damnation didn't happen in 2012. 

The timeline begins way earlier than the 1700's.

February 18, 2016 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Yeah I see what you mean now. It is damn near impossible to piece together this nightmare of a puzzle. I am working on this as kind of a personal timeline for myself. Just a temporary project while we wait for your timeline and also it helps me recap on the series and get a better understanding of how the series plays out so I am not to concerned about months and days I just at least wanted to get everything in the right order and possibly a year to match everything up with.

Yeah the timeline begins pre 1700's but the RE5 timeline doesnt? Or does it?

So am I right to believe that all these events take place in 2011. Heavenly Island, Revelations 2, Las Plagas: Organisms of War, Damnation and Marhawa Desire? Thats alot of events for one year. Seriously good luck Batman I dont know how you are doing it. My head is hurting already and I have only been doing this for several weeks.

--

February 18, 2016 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.