CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > The return of Piers?

BSAArklay
Administrator

Will Piers return in RE7 as the protagonist with super powers and Capcom will continue and venture further into the action genre? Almost like how RE4 was originally planned to be Devil May Cry. Maybe they are setting up for Piers to be the new super solider.

Or will he return as a villain who is pissed off with the fact that Chris let him make the sacrifice. Or the fact that Chris abandoned him in the lift to the surface. Sure we all know this was not the case but with the C Virus running through his body to the extremes that it was it is quite obvious that his brain would not be functioning as it would or should be and maybe his sacrifice had manifested into hate.

Look I am not supporting this idea what so ever and I feel like it is rather cheap and they went about it in the wrong way with Piers mutating so quickly. However the fact that Piers was mentioned in Revelations 2, Marhawa Desire and The Stage. All these appearances had me asking what is the point? Why continue to establish a dead character to such a degree? Well maybe because they know something we don’t and they have plans in motion for his return. On top of all the further appearances post RE6 we also have the fact that we never actually saw Piers die on screen which in the Resident Evil universe could be solid enough proof in itself.

This is from Ada’s file in Chapter 5. "The enhanced C-Virus was created by strengthening the C-Virus with Jake Muller's blood. This enhanced virus was engineered by Carla Radames by taking the elements of Jake's blood that were resistant to viral infection, and using them to re-engineer the C-Virus into a more potent virus.

When a host is infected by the normal C-Virus, the host will eventually become encased in a cocoon before emerging as a new creature. With the enhanced version, not only does it strengthen the host, but it removes the need for a chrysalis stage. This host can continue to mutate indefinitely into new forms without compromising its cellular integrity.

The enhanced C-Virus is incredibly difficult to manufacture, and only Carla has the know-how to do it successfully. As such, only a limited amount of the enhanced C-Virus is known to exist."

So like Simmons when he was injected with the virus he mutated as he pleased almost like Optimus Prime. So if in an explosion it is not difficult to imagine that Piers mutated into something that could escape the explosion of the lab at the very end of the game. Then after transforming into some creature that would enable him to escape and swim away from the explosion he could return to his human form.

So in closing there are three possibilities. Number one being could all the references and continued use of Piers we are still being given mean that there is a possibility that Capcom are setting up for Piers to return as B.S.A.A.’s ultimate weapon. Number two Piers is being set up for a return as the new series villain which gives Capcom a reason to bring back Chris because let’s face it you know that is what they want to do and right now they don’t have a whole lot to go on. Or finally number three this is all just a coincidence and the continued references to Piers in Capcom’s post RE6 material is just a way of them having any excuse to introduce Piers again because they have realised he was a fan favourite and they messed up in killing him off so by setting these projects pre RE6 they can go ahead and use Piers even though there is no relevance and his character has been in my opinion poorly portrayed in these post RE6 projects. I cannot speak for The Stage yet as I have not seen it but I have heard that his appearance is as pointless as it was in Marhawa Desire and his mention in Revelations 2 was just throw away. Anyway I maintain that option three is the correct answer however I just realised today that this is all a mighty coincidence and there is a chance that possibility one or two could happen.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 3, 2016 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

I can tell you catagorically there are no plans for Piers to be resurrected. He has popped up in The Stage and Marhawa Desire simply because 6 established that he is Chris's new subbordinate when he became Alpha team captain in 2010. 

There may not be a point to extending upon his character knowing he is dead, but I'd rather they do that than continue to create endless new ones. For those of us who can tolerate 6, it makes Piers that little bit more important. 

February 3, 2016 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96
I'm going to have to agree with TheBatMan that I don't think Capcom is resurrecting Piers.Marhawa Desire was series to flesh out Piers and Chris' team more before the events of 6 and the stage play just had him there b/c canonically he would be there as Chris' subordinate. Plus what really would be the point of bringing him back? He served his purpose and if we bring him back, what's next? Bring back Steve? Albert Wesker? No thanks. Until Capcom is ready to talk about 7, we'll probably be seeing more of these pre6 projects. We do have a cgi film coming out in 2017, so maybe we'll see more on that.
February 3, 2016 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Batman: I am with you I feel the same way that it won't happen but I simply made this thread because I realised that he continues to feature in the series and I began to think why this could be. I also forgot to take into account the fact that Marhawa Desire for all intents and purposes was supposed to be released around the sametime as RE6 as to give us the backstory. Obviously that didnt go to plan. But that cuts it down to 2 apperances post RE6 which makes things abit more reasonable.

I can agree with you in the sense that yes I would much rather see a dead character who is semi established over another new character. However Capcom's way of doing this is ass backwards. Could you imagine watching a tv show lets say The Walking Dead and a new character is introduced for an episode and gets a ton of airtime, at the end of the episode the character is killed off in a heroic way and then the next few episodes we get the beginning story of a character who we already know their fate. Its like flogging a dead horse. Its redundant. Same goes for Wesker. First thing they did after RE5 was give him a cameo in Darkside Chronicles and then introduce his son and Alex.

My point to you is either establish the character pre RE6 by getting these comics out before the game or any other form of media you want to include (Like the Marvel comic that was released alongside RE1 not over a year later). Or Focus on the characters that actually matter and can help you further down the road in the series. Why not focus on Chris? Or Jill? Or even Parker? Hell why not have Sheva working with Chris for the time being while Jill recovers?

I see what you are saying that by revisiting Piers post his death we can gain some sort of feelings or a further investment for his character but his apperances and mentions have been throw away rubbish that are no more than cheap cameos which may as well have been another new character because despite the looks he is just a shell of a character. No development and my investment in his character has gone backwards if anything, it is actually hurting his character.

ResiEvilChic: Yeah I agree about Marhawa Desire because the game was released so long after RE6 I sometimes forget that it was intended to be released alongside the game. But like I mention above if this was the case and Piers is in Marhawa Desire to establish his character for RE6 then make the most of it. This comes back to my dislike of Marhawa Desire but Capcom really dropped the ball on that Manga and for a prequel book it really does no service as a prequel even for a game like RE6.

I see your point about bringing him back and like I said it would be cheap but if this was the plan all along then we cannot really call it that. It seemed to me like the way things played out at the end of RE6 that Capcom may have had intentions for Piers too be the fall guy and be the next Chris only for them to throw in a plot twist and the guy who was supposed to be the hero becomes the villain. I think thats actually quite poetic. After hearing recently in an interview at Biohaze with Resident Evil Playstation 1's writer Kenichi Iwao that Wesker was always intended to return, I dont think it can be considered a cop out or cheap trick if this was always the plan its just a plot twist that we had no idea about and took longer than we would appriciate to play out.

For example if you saw Star Wars A New Hope and then 6 years later you saw Return of the Jedi and you realised who Darth Vader was you cant really call cop out because it was the plan all along it just took years to get the pay off. Now bringing back Brad Vickers that would be a cheap trick. Yeah I am anxiously anticipating the new CGI movie after rumours of a reboot but if Piers shows up I am going to lose my shit!

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 3, 2016 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Wesker had more relevance to the series than Piers. Piers was created so they could keep the death element in since they couldn't kill Chris off. He was a plot device with no real ties to the series, he was an easy killoff. Did he become popular after 6? Sure, his sacrifrice impacted a lot of ppl. With 7 not ready yet, Capcom has seized the opportunity to use Piers' in pre6 stuff, so they are taking advantage of his popularity.
At this point though, I do think they are ready to move on with Umbrella Corps and the upcoming cgi film. I doubt Piers will be in the film. I think the play is serving as a backdrop to explain Rebecca's role in the film. In my opinion anyways.

February 3, 2016 at 9:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Exactly my point so if he was simply a plot device why this continuation of infatuation with him. He is dead and gone so move on or focus on someone who is alive and relevant. I guess I am clutching at straws and hoping that they are actually going somewhere with all this but I agree with both you and Batman that I am fairly sure that I am wrong but I really wouldn't be suprised if Piers shows up in RE7.

I was hoping they are ready to move on the moment the credits rolled for RE5 but that was 6 years ago and we have taken baby steps if you can call it that. The reason I bring this up is because Capcom recently feel the need to include characters from the past that the fans have heard of. Barry, Claire, Moira, Rebecca and possibly more in the future. When is the last time we had a new character established? That later featured in more than 2 games? I think we need to go back all the way to RE2 with Leon and Claire. Sure you can include Sherry in this if you want but RE2 she had one sequence. The villain situation is even worse. So I have kind of given up on that hope until it actually happens. Yeah I hope you are right about Rebecca but I am not expecting much in terms of story or relevance from Biohazard Stage judging from what I've heard.

--

February 3, 2016 at 9:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

I'd agree its stupid to have a dead character expanded up on but then I started to think about Halo. 

Captain Keyes was introduced and killed in Halo 1. Yet he has be expanded upon in Halo The Cole Protocol, The Fall of Reach: The Definitive Edition, Fall of Reach, The Fall of Reach Animated Series, Reach, Dr Halsey's Journal, The Flood: The Definitive Edition, and Anniversary. And that's not counting marketing and promotional material.

All of that, 4 novels, a comic, mini series, and 3 games, for a man who dies in the first game. Once you go through all that stuff, and finally get to the point he dies it hits home HARD, because you know so much about him. 

Now with Piers, his character development isn't as big or as in depth as Keyes story is in Halo, but for what little we get, outside of the Manga, I'd say it may as well not matter. The files that mentioned his name could have been any named BSAA agent from RE6, and I can't say much about The Stage, but hopefully he is given something and not there just to be there. Because honestly I'd rather see Parker or anyone else from Rev1.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

February 4, 2016 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.