CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Resident Evil Dash research

AvP Ryu

Recently I found this site with new information about images Resident Evil Dash & Resident Evil 1.5

Resident Evil Dash image shows the Spencer mansion in ruins, with cobwebs, roots of plants or perhaps plant 42 mutations:

The Resident Evil 1.5 image shows the first draft of Elza and the first draft of Claire with Linda prior to her development into Ada Wong:

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

January 4, 2016 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

I thought this was confirmed as a false rumour? Started by Famitsu. Where did that concept art come from? It looks very cool but could also be faked. I love the idea of this game I have to admit however I find it hard to believe it is real because the mansion literally explodes into splinters even in the Original ending video. There would be a hell of alot more damage than holes in the walls and a collapsed staircase. We would be talking about rubble throughout the entire property.

Edit: Ok so Sugimara is saying that the Biohazard Dash is not a seperate game but was part of 1.5? Explains why nobody at Capcom had heard of Biohazard Dash. This is a great interview I wonder how many people have had the chance to see this. Thanks for posting! Some fascinating information.

Just reading this interview I can sense from their words and passion towards the direction of everything they are working on is the reason why the original games where so much better than what rubbish they are putting out today. For instance when they talk about the reasons why they put in the torches for the enviroment and how bosses didnt drop ammo. They put thought into everything and made sure it made sense or had reason behind it rather than just doing it.

That was awesome thanks for posting. I need to go and check out PU's interviews, this has reminded me to do that. I loved reading about their passion and why they did things in a certain way.

January 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

Thanks Crimson Elder. Yes, I remember that two or three years Project Umbrella stated that RE Dash was not canon. But this interview comfirms that the first concept of RE 1.5 had players visiting the Spencer mansion. Maybe Golgotha persecuting the heroes of the game and eat the remains of Wesker. Thereby explains the super-Golgotha image:

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

January 4, 2016 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Maybe there was a misunderstanding between translations. It seems like the name is wrong but all the other information seem's to be correct. Except that I heard Dash featured plant like creatures I see no concept work or mention of them in the interview. Where Biohazard Dash came from is confusing but judging by that interview the mansion revisited section was a part of 1.5 so there is no need for the title of Dash. I am unfamilar with Golgotha? I tend not to focus on 1.5 too much I dont want to tempt myself into playing the 'what if' game but the idea or revisiting the mansion is just to good for me to ignore. I like the idea of something surviving the explosion although having Wesker's head on its tail completly disallows the theory they decided to go with when reviving his character.

January 4, 2016 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Resident Evil Dash is nothng more than a concept scenario for a potential Resident Evi 2 sequal, developed in 1995. It was canned as its development woud have clashed with the development of Resident Evil 2

Click on this link for a comprehensive database of Resident Evil 1.5 Press Previews & concept art 

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

January 5, 2016 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

This sounds more like a section of the 1.5 game rather than a whole game in itself.

'Sugimura: We had even thought of a scenario where you’d revisit the ruins of the Spencer Mansion before you leave the Racoon City area. (laughs) I’m sure a lot of people who played the first Resident Evil wondered what became of that place… and I wanted to go into that myself. There would have been a monster that was left alive in the blasted out ruins of the lobby and dining hall. We even got so far as drawing concept art for the location, but…'

January 5, 2016 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

Maybe it would have been a story minigame in what became 1.5, like 4th Survivor was to the final game.

January 6, 2016 at 10:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Welsh

Amazing.

February 5, 2016 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

This shot of the Spencer Mansion in ruins has me in a state of intense desire to see such a game developed, because one of the features I Ioved about RE Zero was the investigation of the Umbrella training centre by a team that had gone in after the place had been abandonned for many years. Just thinking of all those B.O.W.s left to wander the hallways for years without disturbance, muttating and re-mutating, just made shivers run down my spine.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

February 5, 2016 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Yeah I am with you James Marcus I would have loved to have seen a scenario where they return to the Spencer Estate however after the damage caused by the explosion in the ending cutscene I find it hard to believe there is anything left other than splinters and ash.

It is very possible however to have a game set in a scenario the way you describe (LIN). The way you described it is exactly how Resident Evil should continue. Isolated location with claustrophobic hallways. Limited ammo and no melee attacks. The B.S.A.A. is a like a S.W.A.T. team and not Ninja's. You dont see S.W.A.T. teams bursting into buildings and karate kicking their way through their mission. Tone down the gameplay and focus on the enviroments, story and atmosphere. All their attention has been in the wrong places.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 6, 2016 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Those pictures of the remnants of the mansion evoke many feelings for me. While I do wish there would have been a scenario involving it, it also would have hurt the story in my opinion. No point in installing a self destruct mechanism if you are not sure it will completely make mince meat of the desired location.  It does however explain better why there are the wooden and gold emblems from the mansion by Chris' desk in the STARS office. I highly doubt he was carrying those things around until Brad picked him up.

At this point CrimsonElder, a Biohazard game would get an automatic 8 out of 10 from me just for not including melee attacks. (Knife is fine though)

February 6, 2016 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Yeah SE I am so sick of the melee crap. It is quickly becoming one of my most serious dislikes of the current series. I think RE5 had it just right. If you want to include it then assosiate it with a skill like a headshot not just run up to an enemy and front face kick it. Thats not skill. I refused to use it in RE6 unless I had to and even though it felt cheap!

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

I'm fine with the option to include them, but have them be absolutely useless that even if the player has no weapons they would rather run then use their fists (like in Siren New Translation/Blood Curse). I know that sounds silly then to even include them but seeing Chris punch someones head clean off or them flying back 7 feet into a metal fence, bouncing off that fence from the sheer force of the punch was just too much for me personally.

Also don't get me started on the sliding in 6. At the very least please no more of that.  Then again it did make me laugh which I rarely do.

February 6, 2016 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

SamuraiEdge at February 6, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Those pictures of the remnants of the mansion evoke many feelings for me. While I do wish there would have been a scenario involving it, it also would have hurt the story in my opinion. No point in installing a self destruct mechanism if you are not sure it will completely make mince meat of the desired location.  It does however explain better why there are the wooden and gold emblems from the mansion by Chris' desk in the STARS office. I highly doubt he was carrying those things around until Brad picked him up.

At this point CrimsonElder, a Biohazard game would get an automatic 8 out of 10 from me just for not including melee attacks. (Knife is fine though)

I understood Dash to be a non canon 'parallel universe' game, a 'what if' scenario if you like, so any events that occured would have no retcon effect on the main story. 

What is your source for Chris taking the mansion emblems with him before the mansion exploded? These are inventory items that would have remained behind.

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

February 8, 2016 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

QUOTE Nemesis: "What is your source for Chris taking the mansion emblems with him before the mansion exploded? These are inventory items that would have remained behind."

Chris's evidence boxes clearly showing the mansion's chemical agent, gold emblem, and 'Bandage with Blood' unprinted red book.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

February 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WiskUK

Bandage131 at January 6, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Maybe it would have been a story minigame in what became 1.5, like 4th Survivor was to the final game.

I heard on the RE grapevine it was set to be a prequal, like REZero but with a story that matched the game that was to follow. As an advocate of the minimilist style of survival horror it would have made for a much better horror experience than the over-the-top antics of seen in REZero. 

--

Take the Green Herb?

February 10, 2016 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ridley

There's a huge deal of confusion around DASH. Mostly because we haven't been able to locate the original interview where Okamoto mentions it. But this is certainly interesting. Surgimura doesn't mentions it by name but that statement is pretty much DASH. I'll summarize where DASH has been mentioned before so we can shed some light into it.

1. Jerome first mentioned in his Survivhor section about the game, mentioning Okamoto and the Vol 7 of Dengeki PlayStation from 1995 as the source. He may have mistaken the issue because it makes no sense whatsoever to be talking of DASH when BIO1 had just been announced. The article translates as:

"Dengenki Playstation interview with Yoshiki Okamoto, overseer of development for all Capcom games.

Biohazard Dash was thought of between the development of BH1 and BH2. The starting point of the scenario is that there exists a room underneath the Tyrant’s incubation room. The story of the game unfolds three years after the events of BH1. The characters are different and this time infected plants have attacked the inhabitants of Raccoon City. The victims have changed partially into plants. It is as if everyone is slowly transforming into some plant.

The developers wanted to use the same areas (that were in BH1) but with cracks, spiders’ webs, etc added in order to indicate the flow of the time, as well as some new rooms.

But this would have taken too much time to be developed and the release of BH2 would have been pushed back, so the idea of Biohazard Dash was abandoned."

We'll find it one day, but it's surely from another issue of Dengeki PlayStation.

2. Later on, GAMEFAN volume 5, issue 1 1997, published a summary of an interview with Okamoto, supposedly from Famitsu, which I don't know if it's a different one or the same above. Here's for convenience:

"In an interview with Japanese magazine Famicom Tsushin, Capcom Development Chief Yoshiki Okamoto revelaed some of their future (and past) plans for the Bio Hazard series.

* Before Capcom began developing Bio Hazard 2, they began production on Bio Hazard Dash, a semi-sequel to Bio Hazard. It takes place a few years after Bio Hazard, when Chris and Jill go to investigate a numbre of zombified plants that are sighted in the area of Bio Hazard's mansion. While using basically the same environments (updated with cracks and cobwebs), Dash would have had a few new locations, different enemies, and new weapons. Unfortunately, production was stopped when Capcom decided to make Bio Hazard 2 instead.

* Bio Hazard for Windows '95 has been confirmed, and will feature weapons and costumes that did not appear in the PlatStation original.

* Is Bio Hazard coming for Saturn? Capcom is still in the process of deciding that, revealed Mr. Okamoto, but expressed hope that Saturn owners would get their own version. If a Saturn version was to be made, it would include some new elements (like the Windows '95 one)... Here's hoping they make that Bio Hazard Dash on the Saturn!"

3. And finally, in February 17, 1997 Capcom held a conference in Japan to address the current state of development of both BH2 (BH1.5) and the SS port of BH. It was stated that once BH was complete, they came with the idea of DASH which would feature small tweaks of the gameplay along with some changes to the plot, but since it was canned, Capcom wanted to hold onto the ideas and include them in the SS port.

Thing is, they were talking about the state of development of 1.5. I don't know why the translator of Official Sega Saturn Magazine had the idea to call it DASH. Either way, BH for the SS was mentioned a few times by the UK press as BH DASH due to this.

February 20, 2016 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Well that clears up a whole lot. I love the sound of it but I dont like the idea of the BOW's being only plants. Sounds like Day of the Triffids kind of thing to me. I would love to have seen more of the mansion and it did always seem to me like there should be more to the lab area so to see something like that would be awesome. Lets keep our fingers crossed for that original interview.

--

February 20, 2016 at 8:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kalani

It was a side story for a new Saturn port because it couldn't handle the memory requirements of Resident Evil 2. But Resident Evil sold well enough to justify a sequel. It was nothing more then Resident Evil 1.5 side story for Saturn. They recycled some of the concepts for Resident Evil Outbreak file B the Plant Mansion scenario.

February 20, 2017 at 1:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.