CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE SPENCER MANSION > S.D. Perry Exclusive Interview

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

More questions and these are from Wonderman:

A lot of the plots of the game based novels seem to be done mostly from the original game scripts before they were edited and finalized. Was it difficult working from these early scripts?

In the first Resident Evil novel you had Wesker die the same way he died in the obscure Sega Saturn version of the game. Did you choose this on purpose because fans wouldn’t expect it?

You’ve adapted movies into novels as well. Are there any differences between adapting a movie and adapting a game to the novel format?

The thing most fans of the novels love is how you fleshed out the characters, especially minor ones like Joseph Frost, Forest Speyer and Kenneth J. Sullivan who never had a lot of screen time as living beings in the original games. Do you recall how and why you decided to portray some of them like you did? For example you portrayed Joseph Frost as the team wise ass who always picked on Brad Vickers for his cowardice.

One of the most frustrating things about the novels is the continuity errors from one novel to the next in the game based books. The continuity errors seemed to get worse as the series progressed. Do you blame Capcom for not giving you the final draft of their finished game scripts to work from for these errors?

If you could go back and fix the continuity and rewrite the novels would you?

For many the original character Trent that you created for the series isn’t very well liked and many thought the Trent character wasn’t really needed. What are your feelings about that?

What made you decide to use Rebecca Chambers as the main protagonist of the original novels Caliban Cove and Underworld?

Was there any ever talk of taking the plots of Caliban Cove and Underworld and making them into their own games?

The last Resident Evil novel you wrote was Zero Hour based on Resident Evil Zero. Were there any plans to continue the series beyond that either with adapting Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Outbreak or doing more original stories with Rebecca Chambers?

In my opinion you write villains especially well and as heinous as their actions are you manage to make them likeable. Do you have a particular favorite villain from the series?

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

December 21, 2015 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

These are my question:

1- In the first book you made reference to the Japanese novel The True Story Behind BIO HAZARD. Was this your choice or were you asked by Capcom?

2- Would you like Dark Horse, Udon Comics, or another company to adapt your novels into a series of comics?

3- Have you ever had the opportunity to read the rejected screenplay by George Romero for a Resident Evil movie?

4- What do you think of the fact that the director of the RE movies, Paul Andreson, says he does not like your novels because they are not faithful. How ironic that his films do not follow any history of the game, which is why fans hate the movies. But he used elements of your novels, for example: armed & intelligent zombies (Caliban Cove), laboratories & test areas for BOWs (Underworld). Would you like to comment of this?

5- Do you have any pride that some elements of your books have become canonical in the games?

(Finally, for the fans of Aliens, do you have any plans to write a sequel to the book Aliens: Labyrinth? Or even another book of Aliens?)

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

December 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1

Oh good, I didn't miss the deadline :)

I see most have posted some pretty decent questions already but  I feel there are a few I really want to ask.

1. First off, why did you focus a great deal of attention on Rebecca in your novels (especially in your original novels)? Was it because Capcom asked you to do specifically? If they did, what was the reason for that? Or maybe it was it due to your own personal interest in the character?  Was she your favorite character in the series during that time or something? Or was it because you felt she had potential as a character and wanted to develop her further than the games were doing at that point?

2. Where did you get the inspiration for characters like Trent, Steve, etc. Were they based on some archetypes you prefer reading about? Maybe some of your favorite characters in cinema? Maybe even real life references?

3. If you were given the opportunity to write a new original (and possibly canon) storyline for one of the newer characters be it dead or alive (characters such as Adult Sherry,  Jake, Piers, Jessica, Raymond, Moira, Natalia, Alex, Sheva for example), who would it be and why? If you haven't been keeping up with the series much and thus don't know these characters, you can completely disregard this question:)

4. If you were given the choice to rewrite and/or revise any of your RE novels, would you? If so, which one(s) would it be?

5. Have you seen the CGI movies, Degeneration and Damnation? If so, what did you think of them? Would you have liked to see one of your original novels in film format?

December 21, 2015 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Wow some really awesome questions there from Wonderman, Avp and Skinni. Really looking forward to these answers. Thanks for posting. I may just edit you're third question there Skinni because if Danelle does not know the new characters I would still be interested in seeing her reply from the characters she does know.

December 21, 2015 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command

I just thought of a good qestion, Holden was Wesker's contact in Umbrella. He is mentioned in the Marvel comic, Wildstorm comics, and the unused Romero Script. Where you given any information on this character from Capcom? Or even knew of his existence? 

Also what was the reasoning of placing Raccoon City in Pennsylvania?

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

December 31, 2015 at 11:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Yoke

I have nothing RE related. Everyone else seems to have that covered.

1. What is your favorite book to read? (now and/or when growing up)

2. What made you want to become a writer?

3. How do you relax after a hard day of writing?

January 3, 2016 at 10:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Cheers guys for some seriously insightful & probing questions, all will help create a fascinating (& I hope contentious in places!) interview for the community. My interest piqued reading AvP Ryu's questions, particularly the one regarding the nauseating hypocrisy of a man responsible for some of film history's most atrocious & hateful collection of talentless B-movies, which have significantly besmirched the integrity & reputation of Resident Evil.

All my questions have been asked, I would have asked about the canon issue, and about the elements from the books that have appeared in the non-canon films and more importantly in the canon series. But I would also be interested to know if Danelle is still in contact with Capcom, what does she think of the unofficial non-canon films, and was she a fan of Resident Evil video games - if so, does she prefer the original survival horror exploration fixed camera style, or this new combat focused linear gameplay with an over-the-shoulder free roaming camera?

Deadline for questions is tomorrow !

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

January 5, 2016 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Ok well thanks to everyone for their questions. I have edited them down as much as I possibly can because some questions are similar. I cannot send them all because there are just too many along with the ones here and via Facebook interest. However I can assure you that CHE members got priority and I have tried to remain as fair as possible and made sure everyone gets most of their questions answered. Thanks to everyone for taking part and now we can look forward to getting our answers. They will be posted the sametime as our RE Zero (Riva and Krawford) podcast on January 21st. So stay tuned!

January 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neptune

Some really good questions. i look forward to the response. I have had a soft spot for SD Perry as I feel her adaptations at least have been unfairly maligned. Having recently got into the Star Wars literature game, and reflecting on her books, they are of the same quality - which is a positive thing in my view.

January 8, 2016 at 6:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Thank you to CrimsonElder for producing this CHE exclusive and to all the residents who supported the feature with their fan questions. The interview has now been uploaded to the Interviews section of our mansion:

S.D. Perry Interview

September 5, 2016 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
It was a great interview. I still wonder what she was a afraid to talk about.
--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

September 5, 2016 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96
Great job CrimsonElder on the interview. There were some interesting things she had to say and wonder how adaptions of RE4, RE5, and 6 would of turned out if she continued on writing. Thanks again for making the interview happen!
September 5, 2016 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3
Loved the interview! I enjoyed the Novels Danelle penned. I remember re-reading Umbrella Conspiracy the most. It's interesting to note that even with so little contact with Capcom that Danelle was able too match the tone of the games as much as she did. Anyway, it was a pleasure to hear the process by which She had to write in. I wanted to thank CrimsonElder for taking the time to conduct the interview and Thank Stephani for coming on CHE and opening up about a series of novels she wrote now some 18 years ago.
September 6, 2016 at 7:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Exactly my thoughts Bloodyeye considering the first novel was written shortly after the release of the first game and due to Capcom sharing only artwork with Danelle I think she did a fantastic job in bringing through the atmosphere and elements of the games. Thanks for the lovley comments USS, REChic and Bloodyeye I am sure Danelle will enjoy reading your feedback.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

September 6, 2016 at 8:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Bl00dy3y3 at September 6, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Loved the interview! I enjoyed the Novels Danelle penned. I remember re-reading Umbrella Conspiracy the most. It's interesting to note that even with so little contact with Capcom that Danelle was able too match the tone of the games as much as she did. Anyway, it was a pleasure to hear the process by which She had to write in. I wanted to thank CrimsonElder for taking the time to conduct the interview and Thank Stephani for coming on CHE and opening up about a series of novels she wrote now some 18 years ago.

Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated by all the CHE team, and I'm sure S.D. Perry who is a resident here, will also appreciate the kind sentiments from you, ResiEvilChic99, and all her fans that respond to this interview by CrimsonElder.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

September 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

I loved reading the interview, always fun to know what goes on behind the scenes. The books are always funs to go back and read all over again and knowing what she has said in the interview makes you smile even more.

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

September 8, 2016 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

Very nice interview. the book itself was okay, and it's really nice to read all the behind the scenes info

September 10, 2016 at 10:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Isles487

Another great job. I had no idea of the kind of constraints that the publisher placed on Stephanie to churn these novels out. No guidance from the IP creator, no feedback except for the editor. This was really just "get this out in a month." Stephanie was so honest about the process that it was refreshing.

She repeats a common theme that interviewers express: surprise that there is ongoing interest in the work after decades.

September 18, 2016 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Awesome feedback thank you all and glad you enjoyed. I am glad you could appriciate the background politics and why SD was at a disadvantage from the get go. I feel these books are a great read in spite of all that. Yeah Danelle was very forthcoming and honest with us and I am sure we all appriciated that.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

September 18, 2016 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert Wesker 187

This was very impressive CrimsonElder I have to say it is an honor and privilege and more than that a blessing that you got an interview wih S.D. Perry I have all her books as well and I love every single one of them. What I like about her books is that she sticks to the Resident Evil Storyline and she also shows a side of Albert Wesker we have never seen. Honestly, this was well done and you did one hell of a job with this interview very impressive no surprise though I would not expect anything less from you CrimsonElder after reading this transcript of the conversation I want to read the books all over again.

--

"The only thing that can defeat power is more power. That is the one constant in this universe. However, there is no point in power if it consumes itself. I will enlist the help of an old friend against our common foe; I will use one pawn to eliminate the other, and emerge with the spoils for myself... "

September 18, 2016 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.