CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > RESIDENTS FILES > Comedy in macabre Resident Evil

SamuraiEdge

A little fact about me is that I hardly laugh at all, it's truly sad in a way. I take almost everything seriously and play/watch/read serious games/movies/books. Ever so often in these there is a ray of light through the darkness that gives way to truly hilarious stuff that does get me to break out laughing. If it's intentional or not does not matter. What I propose with this topic is to try and find things in this series that is truly funny. The catch is nothing gameplay related. This has to be something that is part of the story or an actual event where there can be no excuse for. I'll start with one of the things that was on my mind.

In Biohazard Outbreak file 1 during the hive scenario you can find a "researcher's diary". This particular file describes an Umbrella worker who was reassigned and had to use the waterway underneath the hospital to reach Birkin's lab on a regular basis. This guy has to go into waist deep sewer water and travel a fair distance to reach the lab. By the time he reached the lab, you can imagine how his clothes were and how he must have smelt. They eventually supplied this poor soul with a boat to make his passage more reasonable most likely due to complaints from people in the lab about his presence.

Looking forward to hear some that maybe I did not even think of yet so I can get a few more laughs in. It's been kind of quiet around here lately.

November 11, 2015 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

From the Biohazard 2 Guide

15 (MON) The secretary knows the chief's big secret. The secretary's diary breaks off at the end on this day.

→ One week has passed since he was scolded by the chief and the stubborn secretary has noticed the painting's secret too. He switches on the device and sees the stuffed-animal processing room in the underground and it seems likely that he was "processed" in the room the following day.

I kinda find it funny that he probably stuffed and dumbed the body down in that tunnel.

Similarly, I always chuckled at his "I was going to stuff her" comment in the Darkside Chronicles. 

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

November 12, 2015 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

That secretary thing was the first thing my younger brother mentioned to me when I asked him the same question as this topic. Also at the chiefs line from Darkside, that one got me too. I could have a field day with the chronicles series character lines. One that stuck out for me that I still have not recovered from yet was when Chris finds Forest dead on the balcony, he says "I'm going to miss our target practice sessions", I never felt so dead inside after hearing that soulless line then followed immediately by laughter of how that line got passed. Very nice USS Command.

Arnold from Outbreak is another character that always manages to make me smile. "This job is turning out to be a lot harder than I expected". I always have to think how the hell Arnold thought that a job involving a outbreak caused by a deadly virus in a city was going to be walk in the park. I can only imagine his complaints had he have gone in with the first wave of U.B.C.S. in Raccoon City.

November 13, 2015 at 12:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

Nice little thread idea. Resident Evil is never funny when the intention is to be so, but it makes me laugh out loud quite a bit sometimes.

In Resident Evil 4, after unlocking Ada's alternative outfit, Leon still refers to her as "the bitch in the red dress" in the cut scene near the castle garden.

Also in RE4, the helicopter that helps Leon out near the end of the game is piloted by a guy called Mike, who is previously unknown to Leon. However, when he is shot down, Leon Screams "MIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!" as if he has lost an old friend.

In Code Veronica, when Steve is trapped in the palace room near the start, and shouts "AAAHHH! HELP ME!" his voice is far to nearby and clear (despite being a couple of rooms and a passageway away), and the corresponding siren cannot be heard at all. Also, on her arrival in the room, her first comment is "Steve is suffering", which makes me laugh.

The most ridiculous content can be found in the Outbreak games though, which are littered with daft moments. There are a couple of moments which spring to mind.

There is a comment when searching a rubbish bin on the scenario Underbelly, (I think), where your player comments "I took a good long look at it, but it's just a garbage can".

Below Freezing Point contains a very silly exchange between your character and another, who is essentially a part of the background, so is neither heard or animated. Near a ladder at one of the outdoor area, this guy trades you a magnum, or something, for a health item (I think), and says "take care" at the end, while just being lifelessly slumped against a wall with his head facing the ground.

The frequently totally counterintuitive decision made by your AI partners often makes me chuckle, seeing them running around with a stupid inventory they have ammassed, with perhaps nothingbut handguns, far too many health items, or the like.

Lastly, the ending FMV when Mark escapes in the helicopter has the single most ridiculous voiceover I have ever heard. His accent is ludicrously stereotypical, and his dialogue is hilarious: "Please lord, never again. It's clear as day. It's us, mankind."

There are countless other times when the Outbreak games make me laugh, although sometimes I myself don't understand why such moments seem so funny.

November 14, 2015 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Nice ones also Survivalist. Yes, it is indeed creepy how clear Steve's voice comes out during that one event. It's almost as if the palace walls are paper thin.

I always assumed Mike was just someone Leon happened to meet off-screen sometime before 4, or maybe it's just Leons overacting in Bio 4 since he did the same thing with Luis who he hardly knew and did not fully trust yet. Hunnigan always creeps me out how calmly she seems to shrug off that the first chopper was shot down, as if it's no big deal.

Biohazard Outbreak is just ripe with plenty of moments that can draw a few laughs especially from the Ab-libs. " You're worse than my ex-wife"-George as he passes a zombie.

Another great moment is yet again from Outbreak. I would like to take this opportunity to say that Greg is one of the most entertaining characters to look at and observe what he is doing. He is truly creepy on otherworldly levels, and funny. Think about this, Raccoon city is basically destroyed by virus contamination, it's been a whole week since the outbreak occurred. Greg, who is in the universities lab basement admiring Thanatos and ranting about Umbrella's obesession with mass production stating that one masterpiece is enough in a disturbingly calm voice. He is really insane in the most gloriously scary and funny way possible. He then wants to field test his creation on some random survivors who happen to come there when Raccoon city is on the brink of getting bombed. Put all this into perspective for a second...Got to love this creepy bastard. This guy does not have a care in the world what's going on outside.

November 15, 2015 at 12:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

Mike introduced himself after he kills the first round of Ganado in the cutscene.

And onto that cutscene, I've always laughed that Leon can hear the Mike's chopper when he first arrives, but none of the Ganado hear him until just before he's tipped over the water tower.

November 16, 2015 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

It's been forever since I played 4, I sadly forget what Mike says. I do however remember that water tower scene and the fact that none of them hear the Helicopter is too convenient.

On the topic of Bio 4 since it's almost too easy to pick on this game, there is one thing that I cannot get out of my head which almost makes a playthrough of the game worth it up to that point for me just so I get a laugh. Inside the house where you encounter Bitores choking Leon who then gets rescued by Ada, the bathroom only contains only a urinal. If you examine it leon says something like "They use bathrooms, atleast they are somewhat civilized". Leon thinks taking a crap in a urinal is civilized. Who can blame him though? He went through an entire police station with nothing, not even one tiny urinal. He must of thought the R.P.D. is full of barbarians. The ganado's must have been seen as a much higher class then Leon is used to. Then again level design is kind of part of gameplay so it's not entirely fair, but it's still pretty funny.

November 16, 2015 at 6:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

And then Separate Ways has a female Ganado in that bathroom.

November 17, 2015 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

I completely forgot about that also. Now I am itching to play Separate Ways, might just pop it in real quick to see it for myself again.

November 17, 2015 at 5:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Naveed

What about the time when lisa hits wesker and he falls down at the altar... next time when chris meets wesker they don't even talk about it :-)

November 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Naveed at November 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM

What about the time when lisa hits wesker and he falls down at the altar... next time when chris meets wesker they don't even talk about it :-)

You can save Wesker from getting hit down though so I think that route would take precedence over him getting knocked down. I think they really should of made it impossible for Wesker to get hit down because if a player does trigger that and meets Wesker later in the labs all fine, it is a bit awkward. But it's an event that can happen in the game and while it may not be the canon route, it's still pretty funny.

Have one from Gun Survivor this time. When Ark first meets Lott who is swinging a toy bat at Ark in the security room of the Umbrella building Ark says, "Put that down, I won't harm you I promise". Lott continues swinging it while saying, "Liar! You'll kill me if I drop it I'm not stupid!". Apparently Lott is pretty stupid as Ark is armed with handguns and a SPAS-12 shotgun at this point so if Ark did want to kill you Lott your toy bat is not really going to stop him. This part really gets me to laugh pretty hard every time I play the game. Not that Ark needed firearms to take on a little kid but the fact that he does have a decent arsenal by that point makes it even more funny. Classic scene.

November 18, 2015 at 1:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

Yeah, that's pretty daft in Survivor. The pathetic jumping baddies that pop up in the warehouse-type area are also laughable in their impotence.

Dead Aim has a couple of things. Firsty, it is often funny how little the dialogue corresponds with the subtitles when characters are speaking (occasionally with one having a completely different meaning to the other). The opening narration is exceptionally ludicrous, with scrolling narrative, subtitles along the bottem, and audio narration as well. Also, there is something very "off" with how Bruce looks in most of his cut-scenes, and these bits usually make me laugh. 

November 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Survivalist at November 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Yeah, that's pretty daft in Survivor. The pathetic jumping baddies that pop up in the warehouse-type area are also laughable in their impotence.

Dead Aim has a couple of things. Firsty, it is often funny how little the dialogue corresponds with the subtitles when characters are speaking (occasionally with one having a completely different meaning to the other). The opening narration is exceptionally ludicrous, with scrolling narrative, subtitles along the bottem, and audio narration as well. Also, there is something very "off" with how Bruce looks in most of his cut-scenes, and these bits usually make me laugh. 

Yep, that was indeed strange with Dead Aim/Heros Never Die subtitles. Also the volume for the cutscene voices is low and the music is high making it very difficult sometimes to hear what is being said. The opening narration of the game does get a few chuckles out of me.

On the topic of Dead Aim/Heroes Never Die. Anyone notice that a lot of the passengers hung themselves, like the amount goes past the point of reason for me. It's like once the outbreak happened everyone onboard started to hang themselves. What makes this even more funny is the fact that you can find a stack of perfectly made nooses in the storage room. I like to imagine that the crew onboard were just handing them out to the passengers, which then they went back to their rooms to hang themselves. I always find laughter in the thought.

November 18, 2015 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Naveed

I really like code veronica battle game easter eggs..the one where chris looks in the mirror...Claire feeling cold animation...steve's vending machine one...and a hunter in code veronica is hidden what is up with that...and DIJ diary...I wish i had a rodent like that who could write :-) These days I am playing revelations 2 and in it I really hate it when i defeat a boss than cutscene triggers and character finishes the boss off with handgun now that is just stupid because of two reasons one is that i never take handguns in boss fights and two i blasted Neil with my most powereful weapons and still Claire finishes off Neil with a handgun. I wonder where was claire hiding that handgun.

November 20, 2015 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Naveed at November 20, 2015 at 9:35 AM

I really like code veronica battle game easter eggs..the one where chris looks in the mirror...Claire feeling cold animation...steve's vending machine one...and a hunter in code veronica is hidden what is up with that...and DIJ diary...I wish i had a rodent like that who could write :-) These days I am playing revelations 2 and in it I really hate it when i defeat a boss than cutscene triggers and character finishes the boss off with handgun now that is just stupid because of two reasons one is that i never take handguns in boss fights and two i blasted Neil with my most powereful weapons and still Claire finishes off Neil with a handgun. I wonder where was claire hiding that handgun.

I'm a huge fan of those easter eggs also. DIJ diary was genius. What a shame you can't use Claire's alternate battle mode costume for the main game. I also miss seeing the weapon I had equipped show up in the cutscenes, sick of always seeing the default handgun.

A funny/creepy thing in CV battle mode is you can find Rodrigo hidden behind some crates in one of the areas with Hunters. He does not move or talk and you can only see him if you play in first person. He scared the crap out of me the first time I caught him, it was so unexpected.

November 20, 2015 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

Survivalist at November 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Great forum topic here it got me thinking of the darker side of comedy and then the unintentionally comedy of the early RE dialogue :lol:

Survivalist you took most my dark comedic observations in your previous post including my favorite involving Leon's bestie Mike :lol:

Something that has always tickled me for reason I cannot explain is Barry's prolonged investigation of a small pool of blood - what's he trying to decipher, the blood type! Maybe he's got that Dr Who ability of being able to identify its type from tastng it!! Just weirdness of his long stare makes me laugh.

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

April 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.