CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Resident Evil: Vendetta

BSAArklay

If it's horror you are looking for as long as Kobayashi is Producing these movies you won't find it here. Vendetta was proposed as this horror movie which everyone besides Kobayashi wanted. However Kobayashi Vs the entire development team and mass population of fans = Kobayashi wins. The team wanted a horror movie but he wanted action so the first 10 minutes was horror with the rest action. They also wanted Sheva Alomar instead of Leon but god forbid we cannot not give him everything he wants. Another case of Producer Vs the audience. The Producer always wins.

The next movie is already being talked about. The development team want Jill Valentine as the lead with another female protag possibly Helena. A female antag and a child or dog to show the characters motherly sides. All this and what does Kobayashi say? 'Leon has to be in it.' Oh of course nobody expected anything less. We are only the paying audience. Never had a problem with Kobayashi or these movies until I saw his recent. He should be demoted to Capcom's cafeteria and he probably wouldn't even get that right. If someone asked for a coffee he would bring them a milkshake because he likes those better.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

June 27, 2017 at 9:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

BSAArklay at June 27, 2017 at 9:05 PM

If it's horror you are looking for as long as Kobayashi is Producing these movies you won't find it here. Vendetta was proposed as this horror movie which everyone besides Kobayashi wanted. However Kobayashi Vs the entire development team and mass population of fans = Kobayashi wins. The team wanted a horror movie but he wanted action so the first 10 minutes was horror with the rest action. They also wanted Sheva Alomar instead of Leon but god forbid we cannot not give him everything he wants. Another case of Producer Vs the audience. The Producer always wins.

The next movie is already being talked about. The development team want Jill Valentine as the lead with another female protag possibly Helena. A female antag and a child or dog to show the characters motherly sides. All this and what does Kobayashi say? 'Leon has to be in it.' Oh of course nobody expected anything less. We are only the paying audience. Never had a problem with Kobayashi or these movies until I saw his recent. He should be demoted to Capcom's cafeteria and he probably wouldn't even get that right. If someone asked for a coffee he would bring them a milkshake because he likes those better.

Oh Sheva would have been AMAZING . They really wanted to bring her back but that Kobayashi guy vetoed it???..wow..And he also made the call to make it RE6 style instead of horror?.. two awful decisions right there. Also, as i said, my money is on that they go with an all women cast and a motherly (!) theme because of the huge critical and commercial success of wonder woman (7/10 film riding on anti Trump waves). So we'll see a lot of strong female protagonist​s in the next few years. But Jill Helena and motherhood i can't see this combination making big bucks so From a financial standpoint it's not a bad idea
--

June 28, 2017 at 2:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

According to cvxfreak, Leon is really popular in Japan, and given these films first primere over there and that they stay in theaters for a few weeks, they'll most likely be going by the reception from Japanese audiences. IDk, i would think the film crew would of been more open to not having Leon in a film but its Kobayashi that seems to put him right on in. Hell Kobayashi does not hide that Leon is his favorite. He was even ready to boast that he wanted Leon in the next film, I mean does he even know what the next film would even entail this early? He's just certain he wants Leon in it.
Anyway, I might give the vendetta soundtrack a listen sometime since I didn't really get into the music in the film. I hear there's a couple good tracks on there (Code Veronica and Revelations remain my favorite soundtracks of the RE series overall).

June 29, 2017 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

As far as Japan being Leon fans I can appriciate he is popular there however 3 CGI movies of giving them exactly what they want as well as countless supplemental material which has never been translated for Western audiences. They are giving us the shaft. Look at the sales for Resident Evil 7. The game sold not even half a million in Japan last time I checked however the rest of the world sold nearly 3 million copies. Wouldn't it be wise to please your mass audience rather than staying completley biased to your home fans? Like I said it is not like they haven't had the majority of the best materials. Just seem's like commerical suicide to me. I wish they were this dedicated to the horror fans.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

June 30, 2017 at 9:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer
So, basically Leon is the Alice of the CGI films, with the superhuman acrobatics, recovering from being hurled back-first into a wall as if he got tossed into a crash mat and doing countless awesome stuff, and Kobayashi is his Paul WS Anderson. That was a bad joke considering that Leon is still worlds better than Alice, but I think you get my point.
July 5, 2017 at 2:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

No all jokes aside what you said is a frighteningly accurate comparrison.

--

July 5, 2017 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Oddly enough,somebody else I was talking too brought up that Leon seems to be the Alice of the series. I do agree that Leon is leaps and bounds better than Alice and also I actually like Leon (tho Chris is my top fave male protag and Jill for top fave female protag). 
BSAArklay I do agree that it would be better to appeal all your fanbase and not just the home base. Tho sometimes I wonder how the stage plays and Capcom bar would do here in the states. We did one year have a RE attraction at Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios. I didn't get to go but I heard it was pretty lackluster. I think that was back in 2013.
Back to what that director of Vendetta said about the next film if he were hired back on, I have a feeling they would put Helena just to better connect Leon in. Would be interesting to see him and Jill interact onscreen, non-romantic of course, b/c according to a Famtisu character poll in 2016, Leon was number 1 and Jill was 2.

July 6, 2017 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer
Don't get me wrong. I like Leon too. What he goes through in RE2 and how his character arc progresses is amazing. But they're turning him into this badass, lone wolf, untouchable character with almost no consequence for anything he goes through. Honestly! My favorite part of Vendetta that had Leon was when Chris and Rebecca rendezvous with him and he's hitting the bottle! Haha. I was like, "Holy shit! There's still a bit of a person in there. He's getting burnt out." That was nice, but I also couldn't help but wonder if they role-reversed him and Chris from RE6 when Chris was drinking himself into oblivion. Chris and Jill are my favorites as well, ResiEvilChic99, so we're on the same page there. Jill needs to return. Having her in one of the movies would be awesome.
July 6, 2017 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

I think the team on Vendetta did say that they swapped the roles of Chris and Leon from 6 by having Leon be the one falling apart this time and Chris being the more together one. I think they said that in some interview.
I did kind of like the whole thing of Leon questioning "how much longer can we keep doing this" b/c i think a lot of us having been asking that question considering 20yrs and seeing these characters face off against bioterrorism for so long. It also reminded me of the whole Murtaugh deal in the Lethal Weapon movies with "I'm getting too old for this shit".
Yes Sonny, I would love to see Jill again post 5, but I hope just not at the expense of being in a movie, I would love to see her involved in current stuff in the games as well with how things pan out with this blue umbrella and such in the future. 

July 6, 2017 at 10:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer

Ah, I didn't know that. Interesting.

Yes, I think Leon is definitely speaking for all of us when he said that line. Haha. "I'm getting too old for this shit." Even Mark from Outbreak says that in the game, without saying shit though.

I hope to see a worthy return of Jill as well. It's been too long and her character deserves more. Her and Chris are my favorites. Without getting too much into it, I'd rather her and Chris have a genuine romance at the end of all things than the dysfunctional Leon and Ada relationship we've all been experiencing haha.

July 6, 2017 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Sonny Bauer at July 6, 2017 at 10:58 PM

Ah, I didn't know that. Interesting.

Yes, I think Leon is definitely speaking for all of us when he said that line. Haha. "I'm getting too old for this shit." Even Mark from Outbreak says that in the game, without saying shit though.

I hope to see a worthy return of Jill as well. It's been too long and her character deserves more. Her and Chris are my favorites. Without getting too much into it, I'd rather her and Chris have a genuine romance at the end of all things than the dysfunctional Leon and Ada relationship we've all been experiencing haha.

I completely forgot Mark said that in Outbreak! Shame on me! LOL!
Interesting you bring up Chris and Jill because cvxfreak posted this at biohaze forums sometime back, it's the director from Vendetta talking about the ideas of having Jill in the next movie: "Found another Japanese article summarizing Oshii’s talk. “For Jill’s partner, people might think Chris is suitable, but that would bring about a romantic drama-esque feel, which isn’t my intention at all. That is why I want to avoid a male-female pairing.”
Here's the official link of that article if you want to read more but google translate is not that great with these things: http://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999905/20170614062/

But interesting that that director see Chris and Jill as romantic. Kind of reminds me of the Damnation director that wanted a Leon and Ada love story but Capcom forbade him. I get romance is not the forefront of this series but they could regulate some juicy bits into files and such that you unlock in games tho the movies would be an opportunity to drop some of that it in. It can be put in here and there just not enough that the main plot is ignored.

July 6, 2017 at 11:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer

I can understand the reluctance to put romance into a story for fear of a badly executed one, but I really have to ask....why has this series been consistently asexual? It doesn't need anything intense displayed, but how about just a confirmation that someone loves someone else? The closest we got to that was Leon and Ada in RE2

They had the perfect opportunity with RE5 to seal the deal with Chris and Jill. He went above and beyond to look for her, even telling Sheva that she can back out and leave. That's love...and yet, at every turn it was downplayed.

Sheva: You and Jill were close.

Chris: ......We were partners.

*shake my head*

Then, at the very moment we were waiting for;

Chris pulls the scarab off of Jill and she convulses and collapses.

Chris: Jill!

He cradles her in his arms. She wakes up and looks up at him.

Jill: Chris?  I'm so sorry.

They stare into each other's eyes for a moment.

Chris: (awkwardly).......it's okay......

*slaps forehead*

Kiss her, you idiot!

Hahahaha

July 6, 2017 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

July 6, 2017 at 11:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer

Hahaha, I love Adventure Time.

Well played, ResiEvilChic.

July 6, 2017 at 11:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Glad you enjoyed that!Well,I just hope they do improve on some things for the next cgi film. Better pacing and plot and character development need some definite improvement. Especially if Jill comes back, please do not make her totally out of character. I was happy with how Rebecca's characterization was in the film overall, at least she was still Rebecca and the changes weren't drastic on her. I'm still bitter with Claire's characterization in the US localization in Revelations 2 so I'm a little cautious on them returning characters and handling their development.

July 7, 2017 at 12:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer

Agreed.

They're recycling a lot of the same elements that make it entertaining, but lacking in story and characterization.

I too, am happy with how they handled Rebecca in the film. It felt like her, it looked like her. It feels right that she ended up where she was even though we didn't follow her to that point after the Mansion Incident.

I also agree on the poorly handled incarnation of Claire. I honestly don't care much for Revelations 2 as a whole. Introducing Alex Wesker was interesting, making Barry a playable character was great, and bringing horror elements back was interesting, but the story felt misplaced as well as the characters placed in that story. I don't know, maybe I'm being a little too rough on that game.

I really hope that they can redeem themselves. Resident Evil 2 Remake is already striking out without the use of Alyson Court and the possibly disregard for fixed cameras. It seems like it really is going to be a remake and not a remaster, which I don't know how to feel about.

July 7, 2017 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Alot of people are complaining about how Rebecca should have been more bad ass and the fact that she got captured twice was just obsurd to them. Sure it has only been 15+ years since she was last in a special forces unit. I am sure they have scientist's keeping up with their BOW survival training every other weekend. The one time Capcom decide to be true to realism and it goes completley over alot of peoples heads. Like both of you I think she was portrayed very well in this movie and it was like she never left.

Revelations 2 I actually think is a decent game. I prefer the first Revelations game probably because it has Chris and Jill and I do love the Queen Zenobia. My biggest gripe with Rev2 was the killing off of Alex. Sure she was sort of successful in transfering her mind into Natalia but I just prefered Alex as a villain. She just looked like a bad ass individual who made it fun for you to hate. Like Alexia she just had that look. Someone like Natalia or Jessica they don't really have that image of a villain. They have that ace up their sleeve now and they can bring her back anytime they like which is good for them, I just hope she doesnt show up and die in one game.

I said it a long time ago and I will say it again now Remake2 is not going to be anything like Remake (2002). The best we can hope for is Lost in Nightmares style and that they don't screw up the story too bad. People hoping for a game identical to Remake (2002) are going to be seriously dissapointed. If Capcom had those talents they would not be giving us games like Revelations, RE6, RE7 and Umbrella Corps.

--

July 7, 2017 at 6:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer

I was very happy with Rebecca's portrayal.

I find it that people believe Rebecca should have been bad ass because of Resident Evil Zero, which I don't feel was an accurate portrayal of her character. She had Billy, but she was a little too bad ass in that game.

Vendetta revitalized her true nature, showing her inexperience in combat, but still giving her the willpower to be able to beat her zombie friend to death with a blunt object. It came across as true. I completely agree with the both of you on her portrayal.

Alex as the next recurring villain was the perfect opportunity because she was both a strong villain and a connection to the Wesker/Spencer/Umbrella legacy, so it was disappointing when she was defeated so easily.

And yeah, I know Remake 2 is going to be very different, so.......fingers crossed anyway. 

July 7, 2017 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

BSAArklay, the thing with Rebecca went over my head a little bit at first but after a second viewing of Vendetta was when I realized they did do a more accurate job of writing Rebecca and this is how she should be today. I do like that she's not a badass in terms of fighting but defintely a badass in the science and medicine department! Hey, I thought she handled herself pretty well but probably tempted to drink after all that was over (I mean dealing with Arias' creepy persona!).
Alex Wesker was handled poorly. I felt like they honestly had no clue what to do with her. I mean they set up a possible scenario with Natalia (which her situation reminds me of the queen leech and james marcus deal) and then 7 comes in with Eveline. So not sure what will become of that and I would not be surprised if they don't revisit Natalia.
I'm not going in with any high expectations of RE2 Remake but I am curious to how it will all look.

July 7, 2017 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Here are my descriptions/notes from the special features on the Vendetta Blu-Ray. The Commentary track has ALOT of new information and answers that people have been asking about this movie. I suggest you read the commentary notes I have made or buy the Blu-Ray for yourself and view it. Obviously spoilers ahead.

CGI To Reality

There are two separate videos for this. One regarding Ariego and the rooftop boss battle. The other is about various assets of Vendetta. There is no information here regarding in universe materials. It is basically a making of.

Stills Gallery

There are some nice stills and concept art here, the best of I have shared on our Crimson Head Survival Horror Group on Facebook.

Motion Capture Set Tour with Dante

Basically what the title says. Dante shows us around the set and how the movie is being made.

Tokyo Game Show footage

This is a small clip with Kobayashi, Shimizu and Fukami discussing the upcoming movie at last years TGS. The one thing of value that I took from this was when Kobayashi stated that Rebecca was ‘30 years old’ in Vendetta. Rebecca was 18 in RE1 which was 1998. Do the math and Vendetta according to Kobayashi at least, would take place in 2010. Pre RE6? Mr Kobayashi, maybe spend more time checking that timeline and less time adoring over Leon’s hair?

BSAA Mission Briefing: Combat Arias

This short video is exactly what the heading suggests. An in universe mission briefing for the arrest of Arias and his team. The video gives a briefing on each character that plays a significant role in the movie. This is the best part about the special features. Much like Las Plagas Organisms of war this can now sit in the canon. The only new information it offers however I have listed below.

Maria has a damaged eye from the Smart bomb dropped on Arias’s wedding.

Before BSAA DC and Damien were Special Forces. Nadia is former LAPD SWAT Sniper. She joined BSAA after witnessing various BOW’s outbreaks throughout the world.

Audio Commentary Track

This commentary track involves Director Takanori Tsujimoto, Executive Producer Takashi Shimizu and Writer Makoto Fukami. It is only available in English through subtitles and with no names attached to the text it is impossible for me to say who is speaking.

Originally it was suggested that they should show Leon’s childhood in a flashback. The idea was shot down immediately. Basically they admit they are too afraid to mess with anything from the past.

They touch on side characters and how they always have to die. They state it is a cliché Hollywood direction in similar movies. How hard would it be to have one or two survive though? Maybe even put up a fight? Just because all of Hollywood is doing this why do Capcom have to follow like sheep. Look at the fan attention a character like Hunk received just because he didn’t die.

It is impossible to say who is talking through this commentary but someone states ‘We wanted a cool character and not a drunk.’ So….Leon was high or something?

Having the zombie child in the movie was something they fought for back and forth throughout production.

The wire sequence where the soldiers are cut too pieces is referred to as a homage to the live action movie.

The mansion sequence at the beginning was much longer but it was cut due to the run time and it was only intended to be a quick intro before the title screen.

They agree that the movie is more of Chris’s Vendetta than Glenns, after he is shown screaming outside the mansion.

They couldn’t agree where to place Glenn’s flashback sequence and found it difficult to convey that it was a flashback.

A good amount of the budget was spent on pyrotechnics to make various explosions.

Someone states that Rebecca was in the live action films? I haven’t watched them since the third but I feel like this is wrong?

Kobayashi again states that she is 30 in the movie.

The original Rebecca’s face was based on a Japanese model.

Kobayashi states that Rebecca was discussed originally (I think they mean for Degeneration) as he then goes on to state that they decided they would avoid live action characters.

Someone states he is a RE5 fan and suggested Sheva Alomar but was immediately shot down. Someone replies ‘That’s not surprising, they’re protective of their characters and the world they built.’

Rebecca was used instead because she just appeared in The Stage and her transition would be easier. She is also popular. As is Jill but she played a big part in the live action movies, so they decided to pass on her.

They constantly talk about how ‘cute’ Rebecca is every chance they get and how she has a very attractive ‘young’ face to Japanese people.

The scene where Rebecca finds the first zombie eating a corpse in the lab. That was a homage to RE1.

Arlon (Rebecca’s lab partner) was very attracted to Rebecca. His line about ‘desert’ was to show he was desperate to be with her.

Rebecca was to find Arlon’s phone and he had a picture of her on it which was supposed to convey him as being creepy.

There was supposed to be a scene where they return to the hotel and eat a hamburger but the CG team begged that it got cut due to the difficulties of characters eating. Rebecca drinking the water was also very difficult for the CG team but Fukami was passionate that it stayed in. ‘She looks so sexy drinking the water.’ ‘She pops up her head from the desk, like a cute hamster.’ ‘Yes there is a lot of fetishes involved.’ What is going on?!

Fukami wanted more blood to be sprayed on Rebecca when Chris shoots the zombie about to attack her. Kobayashi opposed and got his way. They wanted blood to spray in her eyes and she has to wipe it away.

When Chris visits Rebecca at the hotel, he was to have a different outfit (casual) but due to budget (from all those explosions) he remained in his BSAA gear.

They suggest that Chris sits on her bed so brazen and what are his ulterior motives.

Nadia went through various changes before they settled on her final appearance.

They state that she plays a major role in the film and her help in defeating Arias is vital. However she also is at fault for what happens to New York. The buildings were apparently empty everyone was evacuated.

The helicopter scene where they talk about Breaking Bad originally had a lot more references with TV Shows and character names but they cut a lot of it. There was no way it would all get approved. Fukami really wanted the Breaking Bad line so they approved it.

They admit that basically Chris and Leon had reversed their roles from 6 and that fans would enjoy it.

It was suggested that Rebecca would throw a glass full of alcohol in Chris and Leon faces during the lodge scene. But that would result in one or two less explosions. Someone approached whoever suggested it and told them this is CGI we can’t do that.

They commend Erin Cahill’s performance as Rebecca.

Fukami originally planned a fight sequence between Rebecca and Maria in the toilet but it was deemed unnecessary. The Silver Dagger was supposed to be present and more of an action sequence was planned for the lodge.

There was talk about going to Spain as an extra location. They would go to Spain to meet with Patricio. There was going to be a major shootout scene on a major roadway with congested traffic. They wanted Patricio to have a more tragic role. However instead due to time and budget they brought Patricio to New York. Fukami wanted Patricio’s family to show up but he was told her could only do this via a photograph. He wanted Leon to have a scene with the family and not be able to tell them what happened, he would instead say their dad was a great man.

They question why Maria is showing so much skin. Are they asking us? Who made the damn movie.

Originally the wedding sequence with Rebecca was to be in a church inside Arias’s Building.

Rebecca originally wore what is described as a cheap wedding dress. They had it redesigned.

They talk about Arias resembling certain actors which sometimes to do replicate actors as their characters but Glenn appearance was totally original.

Fukami states how they would joke about Rebecca and Aria’s wife being long lost sisters.

They talk about how Fukami had Tsujimoto shoot him at his wedding so he could confess his love to the bride whilst dying. The gun was a fake and fired blanks but the guests were unware.

Maria was supposed to have a bigger role with more scenes in Fukamis script. A fight sequence with Leon was cut due to length constraints.

Fukami is asked by one of the other two that if they make a sequel that they pick up where Maria left off.

The original script was said to easily pass the two and a half hour mark. The script was apparently very scary. In the end action sequences took priority.

The script had a few ways of Diego being defeated by Chris. In the first draft the Osprey was going to show up and defeat him.

Originally Chris was supposed to just beat Arias to death with his fists. They decided not to because they felt Chris’s character would have stopped himself before he killed him. Glen would then not have morphed into Diego and only Diego alone would have returned. Fukami didn’t think the audience would care enough about just Diego being left.

They refer to the end boss as Ariego a combination of Diego and Arias.

Again they confirm the buildings destroyed by Nadia were in fact evacuated.

Nadia had a backstory of being a lesbian who lived with her partner in San Francisco.

They state that Leon gets to take all the cool shots whilst Chris delivers the final blow. There is a divide within the staff over Team Chris and Team Leon. Most of the guys like Chris whilst the girls prefer Leon. All three of them on the commentary agree they are Team Chris. They say that Girls are Team Leon and so is Kobayashi.

They talk about Nadia and how she should be in a sequel especially to take responsibility for destroying the buildings. They state she will come back in debt.

Fukami wanted to do something a lot smaller and more personal for the ending but Kobayashi said the ending needed to be an epic showdown.

It was the director who wanted Maria to be shown alive at the end and he wants for her to be in a sequel.

--

July 15, 2017 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.