CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Remake, Remove, Rewrite & Revive

BSAArklay

The aim of this topic is to name the games that you would like to Remake, Retcon, Remove, Rewrite and Revive. Some of these may seem similar so I will explain the difference or you will get the just from my selections. Remake would basically be just Remaking the game exactly as it is but in HD graphics for a next gen console. Retcon would involve adding certain elements to a previous game just to make it more relevant to the current series by adding in files or characters just to help fill in some gaps. Remove would be completely removing a game from the series, as in it never happened. Rewrite would be keeping elements from a certain game, how much you would like to keep is up to you but you would essentially change the game. Finally revive would involve the revival of a Resident Evil game that was scrapped/cancelled so the choices would be something like 1.5, 3.5 or even the original concept for RE5. So my choices are as follows:

Remake

Given the opportunity I would like Resident Evil 3 to be remade. However it has to be an exact copy of the original which means scenes for scene. No added features or new characters or even gameplay mechanics. I would love to experience Raccoon City in HD graphics as I would just wander around checking out the city and getting a better understanding of the environments. I would want the original team to work on this game and even keep the same voice actors. The reason I chose Resident Evil 3 over 2 is because this is my preferred game between them and since my favourite Resident Evil 1 has a perfect Remake this leaves the 3rd game as my second choice.

Retcon

So the game that I would like to make small changes to and think could potentially profit from some extra material such as files would be Resident Evil 2. The game could profit from a HD remake if done right however I am not desperate for one. So I would choose to keep the game exactly the way it is however add in some files. For example mentions of Simmons and other future relatable characters and more information on S.T.A.R.S. I also think the game could profit from some more files from the RPD officers and their last stand. I find those files extremely interesting and epic. I don’t think the game needs much more than that in terms of extras.

Remove

This is extremely easy for me. Sure I could go ahead and pick a game like Gaiden, ORC, Survivor 2 but what overall influence do those games have on Resident Evil in terms of story or progression? None really. This makes this the easiest choice on this list. Resident Evil 6 is the game I would like removed from the series. My reasons are the game offers the least in terms of story progression, history with the series and also character development. Very little is given in all that I just mentioned. The game seems very pointless to me and sometimes I actually do forget it happened and it feels like Resident Evil 5 and Wesker’s death was the latest event to happen. Aside from Revelations 2 now of course. I do like to imagine sometimes that if the series had ended there it would have been a decent and acceptable ending to me. Sure there are unanswered questions but we didn’t get those answers in Resident Evil 6. Infact Revelations 2 which is a supposed side game had more relations to the series than 6 ever did.

Rewrite

This was also a very easy choice for me until at the last minute I thought of any other game that is worthy of a rewrite but for very different reasons. The game that I considered but am not choosing as my pick would be Lost In Nightmares. The only reason for this however would be to make the game longer. Like a full game. However the choice I am going with and would actually prefer to play over an extended LIN would be Resident Evil Zero. This game is way down my list and had it not been for what it ‘could have been’ then it would potentially be higher on my list. I cannot however get past the fact that this game is the biggest missed opportunity in the history of this series. There are three reasons why I dislike this game. One and two both being gameplay reasons. No item boxes and I think that the character swapping system is extremely poorly done and annoying. These I could get past easily if not for my third reason. Bravo Team. Why?! Why sacrifice such cool, badass and interesting characters who I was dying to learn more about and see in action for more Rebecca who is my least favourite antagonist along with Ada and Billy no mates. Had they continued along with these characters fair enough I could understand why they made this choice. However since we have not seen or heard from them since then it doesn’t really matter so why not go with the Bravo team. Why couldn’t we have had Richard and Rebecca? Why did we not see more of Enrico? Why Marcus such a goddamn fruit cake? Given the chance I would want this game to star all of the Bravo team and show us their individual stories from that night and show us exactly how they traversed around the Arklay forest. How they came upon the mansion, what they did in the mansion and finally their demise or moments before. If this game was rewrote today I think an episodic release for each character would be PERFECT.

Revive

As far as what game I would revive. The game would not hurt in anyway the game that it was replaced by. So if my choice was 1.5 then RE2 would still be canon. Just we would get to play an experience 1.5 in a what could have been scenario. The game I would go with however would be 3.5 the fog version This game seems most appealing to me in terms of atmosphere and creepiness and it is also very interesting to me in the way the story would have played out. It also would have been the introduction to Spencer and would take place at another one of his crazy households. The only part that bums me out is that if it is anything like the Resident Evil 4 castle then I did not enjoy the environments but I am sure the style of the game would have helped the environments a whole lot more.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

October 11, 2015 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

For a Remake: Going to have to go with RE3: Nemesis too.  Nemesis in HD chasing after me? Sign me up! But no added crap that will mess with the storyline and characters!

For retcon: I think I wanna go with 4 but only to take out the part about Umbrella going under. I just felt like that was so lame considering RE1 - RE:CV endings kept saying "Umbrella has to pay!" 

Remove: CrimsonElder, I'm agreeing with you again, RE6. This game went against so much in canon and the storylines just didn't gel at all! It just felt so unnecessary!

Rewrite:  I actually would of loved to see how the original story of 5 would of played out! Barry in there and Jill's story would of changed some too!

Revive: Outbreak series, hands down!

Anyways, those are just my personal picks!

October 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

I think we are pretty similar in our choices there REchic and for the same reasons. I like the idea of removing the quick death of Umbrella in RE4's intro. That would be very interesting and possibly leave the door open for a return or at least a more genuine goodbye. That is one of the biggest FU's to the fans along with Spencer's immidiate demise.

Yup RE6 was a complete waste of time and removing it from the series would have no impact at this point. Say what you will about RE5 but at least it set up Revelations 2 with Alex Wesker. I dont think RE6 will even be aknowledged again. Potentially a big reason as to why we keep revisiting to prior RE6 wether it be Revelations 2 or the countless remakes/ports. If 6 was more successful and gave Capcom that springboard to propell the series forward then we wouldn't be stuck in limbo as we are now.

The original version of RE5 would be an interesting game to see, it did cross my mind when I was considering the revive choice. I don't think I would want it to replace RE5 because I am very happy with the storyline in that game and I dont know for sure if the original RE5 sounds like it carrys itself as well. We are obviously missing alot of information but the RE5 we actually got seems to be alot more consistant with its story. Like a chain reaction almost one thing sets off the next and I feel like it carrys the plot very nicley. It would of course be awesome to have seen a Tyrant and I preffered the choice of having Jill die or the option to save her. As well as after saving Jill she replaces Sheva and Chris/Jill finish the game together.

When you say to revive Outbreak do you mean the scrapped scenarios? Because that would be pretty cool. An Outbreak remaster/port sounds like something I would be very interested in playing and to be honest I am not a huge fan of them however if they were made for online co-op I would play the games to death. They are probably the games that most need a remaster/port due to the fact that they are extremley difficult for single players.

October 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Reviving the scrapped scenarios would be a great idea, the Outbreak series was pretty good and I'd love to see it get updated.

October 13, 2015 at 12:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

I love topics like these...

Remake: Biohazard 3 hand down. The game already had so much detail and the ruined streets/city and iconic landmarks would be glorious if done like the original Remake. Also Nemesis and Brain sucker/Drain Deimos updated= Pure terror.

Retcon: Biohazard 2 for me. It's little touch ups such as the broken window where Nemesis busts through and maybe a file that states the nerve gas system failing among some other thing's that would be very nice.

Remove: Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles. I absolutely despise this game and everything that it added. I hated TALOS, hated Ada's escape from Raccoon City, Hated Wesker encountering Lisa Trevor in the main hall upon his escape, hated the way they handled the downfall of Umbrella, I'm sorry I am getting carried away I think you get the picture (I hate this game).

Rewrite: Biohazard Gun Survivor. I love this game but there's one damn thing that always bothered me, Vincent's survival from 50-60 feet unto cobblestones and then walking away fine never sat right with me. This is the only thing and I know it sounds silly but since I care about this game so much and storywise it's perfect and important, this is the one thing that stood out. With this fix I can finally put my conscious to rest. Well that and a better explanation of the Undertaker unit of how they were created which not even the guidebook itself gets into!

Revive: This was a close call between the first to be version of Outbreak or 3.5 and I had to choose 3.5. The reason was because it continued the story in way that I felt was most appropriate. Plus I am a sucker for gothic themed mansion and castles.

October 13, 2015 at 1:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

Remake

Resident Evil Survivor.

I think Ark is a great character and I love the lean, compact narrative. However, the game clearly suffers technically. The poor graphics and often terrible (albeit often excellent) soundtrack dampen my enjoyment somewhat of a game which I wish had been given more focussed, generous treatment. 

Retcon

Resident Evil 3.

I would suggest no changes to the game's overall aesthetic, structure or mechanics. However, the potential geographical and narrative scope is enormous. Raccoon City is such fertile ground for development that I yearn to explore deeper, further and, as has been mentioned, in greater fidelity. I also find the UBCS fascinating, and would love for their characters / roles to be fleshed out. They would remain unplayable, though. The continuity would only be altered insofar as it adds information, since the game is already near-perfect.

Remove

Resident Evil 5.

I know the game arguably carries some legitimate narrative weight. However, my not caring at all for Alex Wesker and the frankly fucking ridiculous treatment of Albert renders this narrative uncredible in my eyes. My biggest problem with the game is its hearty abandonment of all atmosphere and identity. Admittedly, I saw it coming with Resident Evil 4, but I think that game found a rather more convincing balance. From an stylistic perspective, RE5 is pure rubbish. I dislike it also for its wholesale adoption of the buddy system, which has since prevailed. The reason I chose RE5 over RE6 is that the former was a conscious move into lowest common denominator game design, which then enabled RE6. Laziness is slightly more forgivable than deliberate self-sabotage.

Rewrite

Resident Evil Zero.

The game as it is nails why I play Resident Evil: the feeling. Graphically, and from an artisic standpoint, it is perhaps my favourite. Despite its obvious flaws, it gives me a solitary experience. Excellent pacing and well-pitched difficulty. I didn't mind at all the marginal experience offered by the lack of storage boxes. However, it falters signficantly with its narrative, for some of the reasons CrimsonElder has mentioned. The leech man is daft, although I would not get rid of Marcus. The missed opportunity with Bravo Team is ridiculous, and although I wouldn't welcome an episodic treatment of this game, I would like to see more of the narrative of the game somehow dedicated to them (but no gameplay). Rebecca is a bland character, but she could be rewritten. And although I have no problem with Billy ("no mates", ha!) on paper, how he was actually realized left a lot to be desired. I didn't really mind the co-op at all. Its slow, deliberate nature is vastly superior to the perfunctory "sidekick" shite we got from RE5 onwards.

Revive

Resident Evil Outbreak.

While I would love to play through the abandoned scenarios as intended (some of those old scenario locales and their narrative strands are pure Resident Evil), I think the more valuable option would be to make a third game using them, perhaps with additional scenarios. The very nature of the game offers enormous potential to expand the expeience of Raccoon City. The old PS2 games hold up today, but I could get seriously excited about a current-gen multiplayer experience using the robust mechanics, atmosphere and game design of the originals.

October 13, 2015 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

How exactly did RE6 went "against" canon? And the game as already been aknowledged....

Anyway:

Remake and retcon: RE3.

What whould I add to RE3 you say? Simple. Add a simple NPC into it: Rebecca Chambers.

Lets be real here, she has no future in the series. She's been MIA for 15 years.  My idea is to have Rebecca help Jill until Nemesis blows up the helicopter at the Clock tower and then Nemesis kills her. I always thought it was lame for Nemesis to just kill one STARS member and this fixes that.

Bonus points: Rebecca mentions that Billy died protecting her from Nemesis.

Remove: All the spin offs like Dead Aim or Survivor.

I just don't care enough for them. Storywise they are not essential.

Rewrite: RE4.

This game needs a more relevant plot and files. It's a genuine joke in that department. Granted UC, DC and RE5 amended the fuck ups this game did but I would still want it to be rewritten. One or two classic BOWS thrown in there shouldn't hurt either.

Revive: None.

They were scrapped for a reason.

October 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

ResiEvilChic96 at October 13, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Reviving the scrapped scenarios would be a great idea, the Outbreak series was pretty good and I'd love to see it get updated.

I second that sister! Capcom often seem to have a better back-catalogue of unreleased 'demos & B-sides' than the shiny new rubbish they keep releasing in their ever failing attempts to recreate the success achieved with the traditional survival horror incarnation of Resident Evil. Outbreak is such a great example of a wonderful but far from perfect survival horror format that could have been developed into the next decade of gaming instead of being forgotten & abandoned by Capcom in preference to the identity crisis that was RE4, the soulless gameplay of RE5, and the total f**king mess that was RE6.

Remake

Resident Evil Survivor: Similar experience this game for me to Resident Evil 5 in that the narrative is pure Resident Evil and is everything I want from the RE story (consistency & parallels with the past canon coupled with an original/eccentric/peculiar/complicated & interesting journey for the protagonist I play to follow through the game), while the gameplay itself renders any actual enjoyment almost impossible.But I COMPLETELY forgive the development team of Survivor where I DETEST the development team of RE5, because at least they set out from the start to sincerely create a pure survival horror game with intelligent puzzles, genuine atmosphere and an original story, whilst the RE5 guys created exactly what they wanted to from the start - soulless, fast combat for cheap thrills to substitute any aspect of gameplay requiring pause for thought & atmospheric pacing.

Survivor so deserves a new polish in this HD era more than any other Resident Evil title I can think of for bringing a truly original & intriguing investigative theme to the series again right after the similar styled mansion incident. Code: Veronica aside I can't think of another RE game that Capcom have produced using the same level of bravery when it comes to narrative originality. Also there 'aint much left in Capcom's survival horror rosta looking back over more recent years.

Survivor with its maniacal antagonist & victim protagonists, peculiar puzzles, themes of pure twisted evil, and environments dripping with sinister atmosphere has every ingredient for a stunningly enjoyable & immersive RE experience, it just needed a more attractive presentation. No other RE title would benefit most from an HD remake, it has the most potential, more so than any of the previous HD updates including the current ones.

Retcon

Resident Evil 4: There's much about RE4 I like, and much I accept was necessary to progress the series forward when a video game developer decides to abandon traditional survival horror to appease a younger generation presumed to be BOTH lazy and stupid. If only Yasuhisa Kawamura's genius representation of the horror themes he developed & created from inspirations such as past Resident Evil games (yes it's that simple Capcom) and films like Lost Souls, had been realised to a completed build, instead of the survival horror lite / Call of Duty cop out that Capcom gutlessly chickened out with.

However, what we were left with, after the puzzles were removed, when the famous & iconic environment descriptions were removed, when the save rooms with their beautifully melancholic haunting themes were removed, when the stark cold horror chills & tension is removed by the subtraction of a static camera & TRUE third person perspective (not this over-the-shoulder half way house cop out bullshit) without the addition of anything to replace this vital ingredient for generating survival horror atmosphere, and when genuine exploration is replaced for a dull linear alternative, was actually not that bad and an enjoyable gameplay experience when compared to the two main titles that followed it.

Remove

Resident Evil 5: Don't just remove it, EXTERMINATE it, then DESTROY the instrument you used to annihilate its arse, and then take its burning ashes to the Atari video game burial site at that landfill in New Mexico and bury that shit DEEP, bury it deep man. And then wash your hands you dirty, filthy scum, you'll never be clean...

Rewrite

Resident Evil 6: I did not choose to rewrite RE5 because its narrative is its only saving grace. Resident Evil 6 has slightly different gameplay & additions to its gameplay as compared to RE5 but still lacks everything its predecessor does with even more excruciatingly bad & frustrating gameplay, that is just as unfocused & repetitive. RE6 has by far the most uninspiring story that seems to achieve the impossible of being both genericlly dull and utterly ludicrous in equal measure. The over-the-top ridiculous soap opera narrative is f***ing detestable, immature and puerile. It would benefit from a simpler, character focused story which could have had the same viral global implications, but told from a smaller, tighter perspective that would come across more personal and emotional. WITH ONLY ONE protagonist told over the entire narrative, involving a previous game antagonist who is not killed off at the end of the game.

I have nothing but contempt now too for the Capcom employees who appear to have as much contempt for me as an intelligent video gamer if they think RE6 is an acceptable cerebral challenge both in terms of gameplay and narrative. It's also as insulting as Capcom UK's treatment of the Resident Evil fans in England, which ironically is mostly due to budget, which in itself is a direct result of Capcom's failure to progress the series forward with commercial success when they abandoned survival horror for Resident Evil 6. So... yeah... rewrite Resident Evil 6 please.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

November 9, 2015 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Naveed

@George Trevor I agree about RE5 :-)

You know there is something i always thought about adding to Resident Evil remake is another scenario for Both characters and it would take place when said character is locked in the cell. Game will start when chris or jill are locked in the cell and you will be in it till the other character would come and rescue you. What we could do to make game in whole room entertaining is by giving them a pocket handheld in which we could play original Resident Evil and while playing as Chris or Jill they would comment on the game like what they don't like and should be changed, which will be development teams point of view or he would give remarks on other aspect of the game. This scenario should unlock after ending the game. When our charcter ends the game than the character would appear to rescue us or mansion blows up depending on the ending we get in Scenario A :-)

November 10, 2015 at 7:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

For the remake it was really close between Bio 3 and Gun Survivor for me but I had to give the edge to Bio 3. Despite Gun Survivors lazy nature, the blocky environments from the real-time PS1 graphics and the countless reused assets, It actually adds to the games presentation with being an amnesiac sufferer for me. This was completely and obviously unintentional and not everyone will see it like this, but for me it does add to the game and I would hesitate to see it changed.

I still want a Remake of Gun survivor though done in the style of the third person, static camera games and at the same time I like it how it is, it's very strange.

November 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

I feel like discussing RE and Capcom so this is not a knock on any of your choices GT they are your choices and your opinion. I just want to discuss the possibility or outcomes of those choices.

Remake

While I agree with Survivor being a perfect project for Capcom to remake unfortunatley I dont think that will ever happen. Their focus seem's to be on the main series and any side games like Survivor and Outbreak are being ignored and have become somewhat non canon to Capcom as we haven't had so much as a mention or aknowledgement from such a project in over a decade. Never say never because once Capcom have re-released all the main games and have nothing left to fall back on we may get some attention on these side games.

Retcon

Resident Evil 4 seriously needed some additional information to help it fit in with the series. The fact that Darkside Chronicles had to fill in the blanks for us just proves this. As well as RE5 to some extent.

It was actually good timing for Capcom to take the focus from horror to action because this was pre Call of Duty hype and at the time Resident Evil was arguably the pinacle of action games with RE4. However they failed to capitulise on this and then Call of Duty took the reigns as well as Uncharted, Battlefield and multiple other series. By the time we came around to Resident Evil 5 these new action series's had been well established and Resident Evil was almost a thing of the past. Had Capcom moved abit quicker and released a RE4/5 game at PS3 launch they may have had abit more success. Not that RE5 wasn't the highest selling of the series. I just think it could have sold even better had they released in pre games like COD, Battlefield, Uncharted, Dead Space and so on. I think Resident Evil 5 found it's place at the time with online co-op however even that has become abit of an unknown art so to speak now and its all about team deathmatch or epic solo campagins now. Since they are trying to join in with their online shooters with that game.....Umbrella Inc? Corps? Well they have their online shooter so the smart thing to do would be have their epic solo campagin game so they can have their say in both markets.

Remove

I have never disagreed with you more than I do about this GT and not just because I am a fan of Resident Evil 5. Lets say we did remove RE5. Lets take a look at the repercussions. First of all we automatically lose Lost in Nightmares. One of the best things to come out of Capcom since Remake. Then Resident Evil 6 and Revelations 1 + 2 need to be extensivley retconned just to make sense. Infact Revelations 2 would probably be scrapped because it is pretty much a sequel to RE5.

Add in the fact that we haven't seen Jill in the main series since RE3. Albert Wesker is still alive and so in Spencer. The story is so rich in RE5 that arguably anything since RE5 really makes no sense. So we will have to go back to the end of RE4 and try again. Ok now I am starting to see why you would scrap RE5. Love it or hate it though this is like the pillars of foundation for the recent series and removing it just collapses everything. Almost like removing Resident Evil 2 from the early series it would leave a shit ton of holes and plot points I dont think it would be possible without removing anything that came after it.

I see your point about rewriting RE6 because its pointless rewriting 5 because I dont think there is much worth rewriting in 5. However RE6 adds nothing to the series other than adding/ reviving Jake and Sherry. Other than the brief mention of Piers and Chris at the end of Revelations 2 would removing RE6 bring down the series like a deck of stacked cards like removing RE5 would? I dont think anyone would miss it in terms of story. It is a pointless game with no bearing to the series canon/plot. Maybe RE7 and future projects will try to help make it more relevant going forward however they may just steer clear of it and then it really does stick out like a sore thumb.

Again these are just opinions and mine are as relevant as your's GT I just wanted to discuss some RE and with no recent news this is a nice topic for us to do this.

November 27, 2015 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WiskUK

I had to contemplate long and hard to answer this thread as my RE story goes all the way back to the start with a rental PSX copy of the original. So my RE wish list this Christmas is as follows:-

Remake:- If this is the choice for a 1080p remaster then my vote goes to Dead Aim. Yes I know this is a game I am often praising while others deride it or scratch their heads in ignorance of its very existence. I cannot for the life of me think why. It has everything fans cry out for in the forums, the pace and combat was cranked up a good few notches, the marriage of third / first person camera worked so well years before the debate became the bone of contention it's become. I hope if Capcom did put their weight behind reinvigorating a genuine survival horror entry for their back catalogue, it would bring new fans to the original Dead Aim which still produces loads of gaming satisfaction. There were enough unique and well constructed features and moments packed from the start and right thru the game to the finish to fully warrant a HD upgrade.

Retcon:- Resident Evil 3. Capcom dropped the ball with this one. It has so much right with it, and that is the problem. It could have been the third homerun on the spin, but there are some minor flaws, too many to grant the game true legendary status, that if ironed out, would produce the pinnacle of the series. Why is it so short? Anyone know? Moving on to explore the wider alleyways and iconic areas of Raccoon City was a great idea, but someone at Capcom didn't seem to have full confidence with this approach. IMO with fully realized confidence Capcom could have surpassed what they achieved with Resident Evil 2.

Remove:- I like my Resident Evil served with a large portion of survival horror. Need I say more? Resident Evil 5. Resident Evil 6.

Rewrite:- Resident Evil 4 originally conceived had a strange and mysterious plot, some may say too supernaturally themed, but was mercifully devoid of alien parasites! I despise RE4s characters, from Hunnigan thru to Luiz Sera, the comical antagonists were simply annoying, and I thoroughly hate Ada Wong's portrayal as a female James Bond. And don't get me started on whoever authored the game files - they're some of the worst in the series and give nothing of value to the main game or the wider narrative. The entire premise of all these characters was a mixture of the tepid and the ridiculous. No zombies, no chemical virus, and no exploration. How is this Resident Evil?!

Revive:- Resident Evil Genesis. A mobile release and a re-imagining of the mansion incident. George Trevor must already know there are game files that develop further background stories from the mansion incident including a detailed George Trevor diary! I would like to see it revived onto the portable consoles.

--

Take the Green Herb?

December 19, 2015 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.