CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Nemesis Mode

M-Greg

With the new Wesker Mode addition to 0 HD Remaster (see my thoughts on that here), I'm very curious what you guys would have to say about them doing something similar in what I hope will be the eventual, inevitable 3 HD Remaster. ORC's Nemesis DLC and RE6's Agent Hunt were complete misfires at this, but what if they tried again and did it properly this time as they are no doubt doing next year? Would any of you be open to it (even if not, like Wesker Mode, it'd be optional anyway), trusting of it? How would and should it be? Would it be exactly like Jill's campaign itself, but from a reversed perspective? Would we be rampaging through zombies, cops, and soldiers with the occasional unpredictable encounter with S.T.A.R.S.'s toughest cookie, different each playthrough? Share your thoughts!

--

The basis of controlling fear... Only those who've conquered fear deserve to rule the world.

September 3, 2015 at 11:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

I'm not sure what you're asking as Nemesis mode and Agent Hunt are both extremely different. Nemesis mode for ORC was simply death macthes with Nemises being on one team side, which ended up with everyone fighting at the control panel while Nemises stood in another room shooting everything that moved while jumping from USS to Spec Ops over and over. Agent Hunt was when you played as BOWs in a similar compasity to Verses from Left 4 Dead, but with horrible controls. 

Are you wanting us to have an opportunity to play as Nemesis and jump in people's games? Or do you want us to play as some random guy leading Nemises around? Personally, I'd go with the first option as the second wouldn't make sense unless a new character was added story wise. But let's be honest we all want a Brad Mode more than anything, right?

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

September 4, 2015 at 12:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M-Greg

I only meant to compare the two in the broad sense of controlling a B.O.W. in-game and how poorly they both executed it (which ORC also did in its campaign alone but to a lesser degree of failure). I'm asking how people would feel about them doing a Nemesis Mode in 3 HD Remaster similar to how they're doing a Wesker Mode in 0 HD Remaster. I never meant to imply the inclusion of online multiplayer that would be anything like RE6 or ORC. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean to make it sound like Agent Hunt and ORC's Nemesis Mode were anything alike! >////<

--

The basis of controlling fear... Only those who've conquered fear deserve to rule the world.

September 4, 2015 at 12:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

This raises some interesting issues both about gameplay and cannon narratives. My first thought when I saw the new Wesker Mode was this makes no sense narratively, could never be considered part of the canon journey through the facility, and offers very little more than a Billy costume change. I would have much preferred an Enrico Marini mode; at least it would make more sense from a narrative viewpoint. Having Albert team up with Rebecca is just plain wrong man, it just doesn't look or feel right ! OK it's a bit of fun, but if this was the concept, then there were other more relevant & suitable candidates, such as Enrico. If Capcom wanted us to see the training facility through the eyes of an antagonist, then James Marcus' journey would have been a braver & bolder option, as offering more than just a Rebecca tag-along in a different skin.

And so to Nemesis, I think it's an interesting concept with potential, if the gameplay can offer more than just a marauding B.O.W. of superior strength & ability to all others around it, which is essentially the role Nemesis plays in RE3, and would not lead to particularily engaging gameplay. But as a bonus mode to the main game, not too much in terms of level design would be expected, so perhaps a time challenge structure could work, having to race towards certain locations in Raccoon City before Jill gets there, with the far inferior zombies & other infectants proving a challenge to your time, rather than your overall survival. Ripping a Licker in two could add 5 seconds to your time limit for that stage ! 

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

September 11, 2015 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

Canon discrepencies aren't an issue with bonus modes. I've been crying out to see antagonist perspective gameplay, not just to see my favorite one which is Nemesis of course! To experience the story as it unfolds from the alternative viewpoint of the enemy is a no-brainer. I just really feel this viewoint could have been an ideal vehicle for an unlockable bonus game instead of the mercs mode that can become repatatve over time. RE: Dead Aim did something similar with the unlocked Fong Ling reward for completing the main game. This mode I think would be perfect for a RE3make. Hopefully Wesker mode is a sign Capcom will be developing the antagonist gameplay perspective for the unlockable bonus games. With Nemesis players would get the chance to rid the streets of S.T.A.R.S. scum, clearing the path for Hunk's retrieval of G. I dig George Trevor's time stage idea as a means to overcome Nemesis' overwhelming physical superiority. Raccoon City could be cramed full of zombies, I can just imagine now controlling Nemesis as I paint the steets of Uptown & Downtown with zombie innards!!

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

September 13, 2015 at 1:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WiskUK

I added my comment too M-Greg. I don't care much for more Wesker content, the man is dead, enough already Capcom especially when Enrico was a ready made S.T.A.R.S. player to offer a different mode in the management training facility. I'm not really fussed with this antagonist/protagonist distinction, never have when I'm more concerned by the quality of the character and not by what category they fall into. This would be the better approach and an Enrico mode would have proved that so. So yeah if we did get to play RE3 with HD visuals I would want to see a bonus game that gives me the chance to play through the main game as an alternate S.T.A.R.S. team member or one of the U.B.C.S. or U.S.S. If Capcom could design the gameplay so that it's not just another Operation Raccoon City I could go for a Nemesis mode but it would have to me more than what we saw Nemesis experience in the original and I dont know how that could be achieved without disregarding the canon.

Nemesis thank you for bringing up the best bonus mode in the franchise, the ability to play as another character thru the main game, as Fong Ling in Dead Aim. OK this was an option in RE2 but as part of the main game, we never got a bonus game that plays thru the main game from another character's standpoint since or afterwards. We have to make do with a lot less and boring mercenaries modes. Yeah I applaud the extra mode for a classic game coming back to us but again Capcom take the easy option over the inspirational one so we get Wesker instead of Enrico.

--

Take the Green Herb?

September 16, 2015 at 6:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

Seeing the announcement of the Wesker Mode, it really excited me since it'll give me a chance to have more reference in writing R.E.S.S. Even though it is just for fan services and instead of an 'alternate' theme, it will be unique seeing how well Wesker's powers help handle himself against the nightmare.

If it was truely an alternate theme, Wesker would be normal and in his S.T.A.R.S. uniform and not super human since this take places before the events of RE1 (REmake). All in all, I'm anxious to play it!

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

September 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

M-Greg at September 4, 2015 at 12:32 AM

I only meant to compare the two in the broad sense of controlling a B.O.W. in-game and how poorly they both executed it (which ORC also did in its campaign alone but to a lesser degree of failure). I'm asking how people would feel about them doing a Nemesis Mode in 3 HD Remaster similar to how they're doing a Wesker Mode in 0 HD Remaster. I never meant to imply the inclusion of online multiplayer that would be anything like RE6 or ORC. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean to make it sound like Agent Hunt and ORC's Nemesis Mode were anything alike! >////<

Leech Hunter was a big let down, to play as a B.O.W. or an antagonist thru a bonus mode instead of a monotonous scavenger hunt would be a more enjoyable experience. So I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop Wesker into a run thru the game. If Capcom were to develop a HD remake of RE3 the bonus game offering a Nemesis mode would be a no brainer. The gameplay options would be very different, perhaps limited for Nemesis mode over Wesker mode because of Albert's greater intelligence and capabilities, a Nemesis mode would prove much more challenging for the developer to make into enjoyable gaming. It was done so badly by Slant 6 there can only be improvement if Capcom choose to develop this mode of gameplay and Nemesis was fucked over bad in ORC this series legend deserves better.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

October 6, 2015 at 4:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M-Greg

I'm absolutely for Mr. Trevor's spin on it, brings my mind back to Battle Game! Glad I'm not the only one interested in seeing this done with Umbrella's most iconic product :3 PROPERLY this time, of course. I too am tired of the repetetively lazy effort, or lack thereof, that is The Mercenaries. And yeah, it should've just been single-player with either Enrico or S.T.A.R.S. Wesker (or both, so we can see Enrico ending up bleeding in that tunnel through both their points of view), but I don't think the Wesker Mode we are getting hurts. If anything, it should be the start of something bigger for future REmakes!

--

January 29, 2016 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hunter Alpha

First of all, I'm not sure how Capcom may intend to handle a remake of RE3, after all, in Umbrella Chronicles they largely disregarded the majority of the events of RE3 and patched up the campaign with enemies and areas from RE: Outbreak.

On one hand that makes me think that Capcom may not actually consider RE3 an important part of the canon, or at least not beyond referencing major plot points at least vaguely: Jill is trying to escape Raccoon City, she runs into Carlos and they are chased by Nemesis on the police station. Given such situation, I can understand why some people think that RE3 could simply be added as a minor secondary campaign for the remake of RE2 (specially if it ended up following Umbrella Crhonciles' route rather than the orignal game's).

On the other hand, that same situation does allow some flexibility on what to do with Nemesis and perhaps even allow to consider a Nemesis mode that could fit in the canon. For example, instead of having Nemesis fully focused on hunting downSTARS members, Capcom could say that it's actually programmed to hunt down any RPD officers and also any UBCS soliders, as a means to gather combat data, perhaps even civilians as a means to dispose of any witnesses.

Therefore, what if Nemesis mode consisted on playing as Nemesis on Raccoon City, searching around for survivors on the city and prioritizing the elmination of RPD officers (STARS included) and UBCS. As part of the tests, Nemesis could be provided with different loadouts, including the known minigun and rocket launcher, but perhaps also new ones such as a flamethrowers or other equipment for fighting human enemies. By process of elmimination, Jill and Carlos could end up being the final targets, eventually leading to a conclusion similar to RE3's.

February 9, 2016 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

Food for thought Hunter Alpha - I read your post with interest, the usual suggestions for a Nemesis mode tend to limit the big guy to nothing more than an mutant linebacker, all brawn and no brain. I have long argued Nemesis was the closest Umbrella ever got to the perfect B.O.W. (props to William Birkin) - The fact Nemesis had specified targets of idividuals never seems to be accunted for in the fourms by way of suggesting his intelligence was far superior to all other B.O.W.s that came before and after. So I support the idea put forward by Hunter Alpha which credits Nemesis with this ability to prioritize a favored target for the misison. It would make for great gameplay similar to the cut-scene for Wolf Pack in Operation Raccoon City that was never developed in any enjoyable way for that game - and I would just love to crush the ever ernest Carlos into Brad juice as the final Boss fight :P

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

February 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Agahnim

I would love to play a mode in a game where you play as Nemesis just to see his side of the story as there is clearly way more to his character than him just being a mindless BOW that popped out of thin air with a weak backstory. He's the mascot of Resident Evil as Pyramid Head is the fan made mascot of Silent Hill. More needs to be done with him.

--

February 26, 2016 at 2:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Yoke

Shouldn't something like this be more of an extension of the Mercenaries/Raid Mode though? Granted it would make them broken (Krauser in RE4 *cough*) but it would give those modes more vartity besides what weapon/skill you picked.

I do think the "Wesker Mode" type modes are fun (in a silly way) but I don't think they would have enough staying power unless Capcom puts more effort into them but I am one of the few people that wants to see Leech Hunter and Mad Jackal come back so what do I know.

Honestly Capcom should just go insane and make a "what-if' type game (not a mode) where you play as the Alexia or whoever and you're just going around wrecking shit.

--

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong."

February 26, 2016 at 6:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M-Greg

Yoke at February 26, 2016 at 6:08 AM

Shouldn't something like this be more of an extension of the Mercenaries/Raid Mode though? Granted it would make them broken (Krauser in RE4 *cough*) but it would give those modes more vartity besides what weapon/skill you picked.

I do think the "Wesker Mode" type modes are fun (in a silly way) but I don't think they would have enough staying power unless Capcom puts more effort into them but I am one of the few people that wants to see Leech Hunter and Mad Jackal come back so what do I know.

Honestly Capcom should just go insane and make a "what-if' type game (not a mode) where you play as the Alexia or whoever and you're just going around wrecking shit.

Alexia vs. Albert... THE ULTIMATE BATTLE!!! In which he dies a painful death because it takes longer for him to heal from burn wounds lol

--

February 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.