CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > RESIDENTS FILES > 3 Resident Evil games for life?

SamuraiEdge

My grandmother always said to me as a kid "Aller guten dinge sind drei", which is German for "All good things come in three". You have 3 and only 3 games to choose from in this series, the rest will get erased from history and disappear from your collection. Which three do you choose? You also have to specify which console/system version you want to keep as all other versions of the game will get erased. Region does not matter though so if you choose NTSC for example you will have access to that game for the system you mentioned across all regions. My three are as follows...

Biohazard Remake GC

Biohazard Zero GC

Biohazard Outbreak File 2 PS2

August 13, 2015 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

Why File 2?

Anyway... My three would most definitely be

Resident Evil 2 N64
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis PS1
Resident Evil Remake GC

August 13, 2015 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Bandage131 at August 13, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Why File 2?

Anyway... My three would most definitely be

Resident Evil 2 N64
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis PS1
Resident Evil Remake GC

5 huge main scenarios, 6 fun mini-game scenarios, 8 playable characters plus many more NPC's to play as, different routes and endings for the main scenarios, massive weapon selection. Music and atmosphere are top notch, and in my personal opinion it offers the greatest challenge out of any of the Biohazard games by it's Very Hard Nightmare mode difficulty(greatest challenge by normal means without trying to make the game hard such as a Knife run). I just can't get enough of it.

August 13, 2015 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Resident Evil Remake PS4

Resident Evil 3 PS3

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition PS3

It was between RE2 and RE5. There is not much between them for me. As RE5 has better graphics and I would have RE3 with similar gameplay and enviroments I had to go with 5. Plus RE5 has probably the best story in the series as well as Lost In Nightmares and my favourite version of mercenaries.

When you say the rest of the games would be erased take out Code, RE4 and the Revelations series and I really wouldnt give two shits. If we could get our hands on the Men in Black memory eraser I would have used it on myself after playing RE6.

August 13, 2015 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition [PS3]

Resident Evil [PS3]

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis [PS1]

--

August 13, 2015 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Nice choice Vito. Pretty similar there. I choose Gamecube for RE3 because I recently played RE2 on the PS3 and the port was awful so I assumed it would be the same for RE3. Now that I think about it though I dont remember having the same problem when I did play RE3 on the PS3. I am talking about the versions from the PSN store just to clarify.

August 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3

Resident Evil Remake (PS4)

Resident Evil 2 (PS1)

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1)

August 14, 2015 at 12:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

BSAArklay at August 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Nice choice Vito. Pretty similar there. I choose Gamecube for RE3 because I recently played RE2 on the PS3 and the port was awful so I assumed it would be the same for RE3. Now that I think about it though I dont remember having the same problem when I did play RE3 on the PS3. I am talking about the versions from the PSN store just to clarify.

They are not ports. It's PS1 emulation.

--

August 14, 2015 at 1:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Vito at August 14, 2015 at 1:12 AM

BSAArklay at August 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM

They are not ports. It's PS1 emulation.

Wow thats fascinating. Thanks for clearing that up.

August 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

BSAArklay at August 13, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Resident Evil Remake PS4

Resident Evil 3 PS3

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition PS3

It was between RE2 and RE5. There is not much between them for me. As RE5 has better graphics and I would have RE3 with similar gameplay and enviroments I had to go with 5. Plus RE5 has probably the best story in the series as well as Lost In Nightmares and my favourite version of mercenaries.

When you say the rest of the games would be erased take out Code, RE4 and the Revelations series and I really wouldnt give two shits. If we could get our hands on the Men in Black memory eraser I would have used it on myself after playing RE6.

That would be awesome if such an eraser existed! Supposed there would be cons with that but oh well!

Resident Evil HD Remaster PS4
Resident Evil 3 PS1
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition (love LIN!) PS3

I was really torn between 2 and 3 but Nemesis was too good to pass up!

August 14, 2015 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

Holy fuck.

I'm really surprised my picks are being chosen by other users.

The rebooting of 4, 5, etc. idea doesn't sound that bad. I'll give up 5 in order to eliminate that tremendous shit 4 took on my face.

--

August 15, 2015 at 12:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command

Dead Aim, Outbreak(both file 1 and 2 as they are the same game), and RE5 are my top 3 games, which can be seen on the site staff page.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

August 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Great thread, it's had me sweating over which game gets third & final place for far too long now, I should go outside ! I moved this thread from the Raccoon Press to Residents Files, as the topic is more a personal choice debate rather than a review of a current release; hope you don't mind Samurai Edge?

Curse all you residents who put Resident Evil 5 in your list of privilaged 3 ;) But what makes this thread fascinating for me is those residents who chose that abomination did so in addition to the gems that also made my list, and these gems made my privilaged 3 very much for being considerably different to Resident Evil 5:

Resident Evil Remake (GameCube)

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis (GameCube)

this is SO f***ing hard... I would say Resident Evil 2 N64, but it is too similar to RE3 to include both games for the purpose of this list, so for that reason ONLY my third & final space has to be reserved for:

Resident Evil Dead Aim... oh f**k wait...

Code: Veronica X (Xbox360 HD version)

Can't believe I am the first & only resident so far to pick CVX, I wonder why none of you even felt it warranted your third choices ? Would anyone put CVX in 4th place ? CrimsonElder I also downloaded RE2 & RE3 from PSN (the day I bought my PS3 after release of Biohazard HD Remaster) excited about the Sony blurb in the game description which stated these were upscaled ports for HD resolution TVs... how dumb & naive I felt upon discovering the quality was a pixelated nightmare. Here's a refrence for the UK teenagers - it looked like Resident Evil teletext version !

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

August 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Lol teletext, yes that's the best way of describing it. I am a fan of Code Veronica and I rate it as one of the better Resident Evil games but it does not make my top 3. Its just around top 5 for me. Funny how you chose the Gamecube version of Remake over the HD one? Is that a nostalgia thing or controls?

August 15, 2015 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

George Trevor Man I am really bad at choosing where topics go, I saw a topic saying top 10 Resident Evil games and I just figured this was similar to that. I will get it right eventually down the line. As for me not choosing CVX or really any of the other Biohazard games before 4, It was a incredibly difficult choice as I really love them all equally but ultimately I went with those three. I actually like the Dreamcast Code Veronica better than the PS2/GC versions due to the original cutscenes such as Wesker getting his ass kicked and showing fear towards Alexia.

CrimsonElder I also went with the GC version over the HD Remaster due to the controls( I'm really not a fan of the gamecube controller overall but for the classic Biohazard games it's actually my favorite) and some other various differences such as the audio is played at normal speed instead of sped up, which ruins some tracks and I have no idea if they patched this or not. There are also some details missing from the HD version which is intact in the GC. The only real downside is the disc change in the GC version, but after hundreds of times of doing it I really don't even think about it anymore.

USS Command I hate to sound nitpicky over this but I think file 1 and 2 should be considered different games. It's true that they were originally meant to be one, but the end result was 2 seperate games with their own respective release dates. If you think about it also they really are two full size games given the amount of content in each.

August 15, 2015 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

I can see your point of view there SE. I love the gamecube version and would revisit it again just for the experience and nostalgia factor. However I had to go with the PS4 version because of ease of access because my PS4 is always just the touch of a button away however my Gamecube is under the stairs in its box and then I have to set the thing up. Also the HD factor comes into play. But I can see your point. There is something about the Gamecube version that the PS4 one just doesn't have.

August 15, 2015 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

BSAArklay at August 15, 2015 at 3:37 PM

I can see your point of view there SE. I love the gamecube version and would revisit it again just for the experience and nostalgia factor. However I had to go with the PS4 version because of ease of access because my PS4 is always just the touch of a button away however my Gamecube is under the stairs in its box and then I have to set the thing up. Also the HD factor comes into play. But I can see your point. There is something about the Gamecube version that the PS4 one just doesn't have.

I completely understand, another reason I failed to mentioned was it being convenient for me choosing the GC version because I almost entirely play old games so my main TV that is hooked up all the time is a CRT.

August 15, 2015 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

The original RE1 on the PS1

RE3

RE5.

August 15, 2015 at 7:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

TheBatMan at August 15, 2015 at 7:50 PM

The original RE1 on the PS1

RE3

RE5.

What console for the RE3 and RE5? I'm also interested in knowing why you choose the original RE on PS1 over the Sega Saturn version which had the Ticks, new costumes, and the amazing Battle Mode. I can understand if you don't like the Sega Saturn controller though as I hate that thing too, but if you like the controller I would say the Sega Saturn version would be a better choice. It's nice seeing someone choose the original over the Remake, it had so many more options and choices to make, I wish they had kept that for the Remake.

August 16, 2015 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

I never had the opportunity to play the Sega Saturn version and would like to have experienced the extra features but the console was just far too expensive back in the day. As brilliant as the remake is, those first early experiences on the original playstation are some of my most cherished gaming memories ever. 

RE3 I had for the PS1 obviously but the extra sharpness on the Game Cube version to this day still holds up. RE3 I have extra fondess for as I managed to get hold of a pirated copy of Biohazard 3 and had finished the game six months before PAL players even got to play it.

RE5 I had for both xbox and ps3 though I much prefer the PS controller. I stayed loyal to Sony in the end for my collection as the Chronicles HD games were not made available to XBOX. 

August 16, 2015 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.