CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community Site & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Resident Evil 2 Remake

Psyniac
I do have to wonder how much progress has been made on Biohazard 8 or whatever next major installment (Rev3 etc) in the mean time. By the time REmake 2 rolls around RE7 will be two years old. I wonder if we'll have as big of a gap between releases between. REmake 2 and whatever is next.
--
Host of Psy Reviews It on YouTube, podcaster and former radio presenter, admin of RE2 Board Game community and curator of @ResiFacts on Twitter and Facebook.
October 1, 2018 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

There are many possibilities to what could be coming after RE2 remake, another Revelations game, 8, or another remake. It would be nice if they bought back the Outbreak series into full glory and place the things they took out back into it.

RE2 remake is looking good even though some things make us all uncomfortable. Once we all get to play it, a review and thoughts topic should appear with our likes and complaints.

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

October 1, 2018 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neptune
Yeah outbreak reimagined is , quite honestly a no-brainer. It would be a shame though as it would likely destroy the existing lore the two games brought to the series. I.e Greg Muller. The fact that Rita is mentioned in remake 2 suggests Capcom remember the games at least
--

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

"Neo Umbrella? - that's a great idea ~ the Batman

October 2, 2018 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Evil Resident
Alyssa Ashcroft was mentioned in RE7 too. Then there is the Daylight reference in Marhawa Desire.
--
Hiding places are beyond number, and yet only one deliverance. But there are as many chances for deliverance as there are hiding places - Kafka
October 2, 2018 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

So after watching the Licker gameplay presetend by IGN I can say that the Licker looked fantastic. Their movements resemble that of Damnation or even RE5 but they seem to take a lot more damage this time around. Cannot wait to interact with them the gameplay look's like a lot of fun. Story still has me concerned but I am starting to look forward to actually playing this game now. I wonder if the weapons will allow for upgrades? I actually hope not and they remain at their standard attributes because the combat with BOW's looks like a challenge. The player in the video seem's to be taking his time and covering tracks, even to the extent of facing one zombie he seems to be cautious about what he is doing and that is a very promising sign.

Gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSb91YO2bw&t=1s

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

October 9, 2018 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Naveed
I am impressed by Claire gameplay. I hope they keep in game dialogues to minimum. Specially no in game hints. Like Lara does in tomb Tomb raider. Zombies and licker seem to take lot of ammo to go down. That is good if ammo is just enough. I want ammo to be just enough to kill everything like in Remake 1.
October 17, 2018 at 5:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

SPOILERS THROUGHOUT.

You have been warned. So I got my hands on with the demo and managed to take many screenshots of interesting things I found. First of all I want to give my general thoughts on the demo and my experience. So I knew before even starting the demo I was going to spend the entire time lore hunting and avoiding cutscenes, I ended up spending the first 10 minutes nitpicking the main hall and found next to nothing new. So after seeing the timer I knew I sort of messed it up and the rest of it was all a rush.

The graphics I was pretty under whelmed with. After coming off the back of Detroit and Spiderman Remake 2's graphics looked pretty weak to me. Everything was very dark which maybe doesn't help? But honestly it felt like playing a late PS3/Early PS4 game. The gameplay was a bit..tacky. Especially the shooting. I did hit a stride when I figured that you have to let the crosshair settle and was popping off headshots in a row then so maybe it was just that. The music well....what music? Also one last negative is I knew I was in the RPD kind of, but it definatley didn't feel very nostalgic after leaving the main hall and even there didn't feel it much. Nothing like rentering the mansion in Remake or the Ishimura in Dead Space, only now as I am writing this am I realising I felt absolutley zero nostalgia. But I have seen the demo many times so maybe that spoiled it? Only time will tell if I experience the nostalgia elsewhere.

The best part about my whole experience was even when I was rushing I felt an awesome sense of atmosphere. Things like bullet holes in the walls and doors (which light shone through) that showed the signs of struggle from the fights the officers had put up against the zombies. That was probably my favourite part of the experience and the felt time I felt like I was in a good horror game.

It's just a demo but if I had to score my experience with it which I thinks helps show my enjoyment, I would give it a 6/10. There was likes, dislikes and time restrictions. That scores means absolutley nothing toward the overall game obviously its just my enjoyment of this particular demo.

Anyway onto the screenshots.

Here is the title screen. I was able to get a better look at this on the big screen and the blue neon next to the T in "Resident Evil" I am pretty sure it says Raccoon Hospital.

Bottom right it states "Powered by Umbrella" which is interesting because this tells us that Umbrella was probably monitoring all of RPD's digital activites as well as tapping into their camera feeds.

A cherub painting which just reminded me of Spencer.

List's of names of fallen RPD officers.

Wall of missing persons reports. This wall was something I was very excited to look at in detail however the lighting in this area is very poor and most of it is elligible. You can make out some names which SonnyBeur made a list of, there also appears to be a couple of dates but not many. Also can make out the occasional sentences.

More from that same wall. The man in the bottom photo appears in Rev1 and Dead Rising textures. (Credit Welsh) See top left below.

This is exactly what I was looking for in this game. A list of crimes (and dated!) that took place in Raccoon City. Love it.

At first I thought the photo showed a mob/horde and assumed maybe it was a shot of the early outbreak perhaps zombies flooding from the stadium. However at second glance it appears to be a photo of a gathering, perhaps the police officers at a party. As you can see again its unreadable. More on this in a moment.

The bullet hole damage in the walls by the RPD officers as I reffered to above. Excellent mood setting which allows you to place yourself into the environment and an air of mystery. Allows for theory work in the future and fans to discuss what happened here.

So I might as well talk about it now. Unreadble textures. What the hell. When I first saw this demo this exact poster stood out in my mind. A STARS poster, what on earth could it say. I was so hyped to read this. So yeah this was seriously dissapointing to me. At the beginning of the demo it does say game is subject to change so I am seriously hoping that this is one of those changes. Blurring out textures with excellent lore details is very smart move from Capcom to protect spoilers. So I guess only time will tell but if a place holder is not the case and this is the retail version of this flyer then I am seriously dissapointed with this and many other of the textures in this game. Until Dawn, Life is Strange, Firewatch (Yes indie games) manage to fill these flyers, posters and newspapers with lore. These are one off games that usually stand alone. We are talking about a franchise in Resident Evil to not fill these lefleats with lore information is just such a waste of potential. Please don't let this be the case.

Same again and this one REALLY looks like they went out of their way to blur something out. But it could just be that Capcom copy and pasted text from a third party and didn't want to get sued so blurred it out. This shit better be for demo purposes only.

So after you leave the main hall and go under the shutters when returning to the main hall and Marvin is now there I noticed that the main front door has now been boarded up by him.

A new location. Cannot make out the name of the Lake however I only know one Lake from Raccoon and that would be Victory.

A homage to Kamiya who is a huge fan of the Adventure of JoJo comics. (Credit Welsh)

Some shots of Arklay.

STARS photo from the original game. The other photos include the file photos you find in Resident Evil 3.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

January 10, 2019 at 10:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Thanks for the screenshots BSAArklay, interesting with the Jojo name b/c of Kamiya being a big fan of The Bizarre Adventures of Jojo. Neat homage. I think with the 10 min timer on there it does limit the overall experience but the amotsphere sounds promising. 
I also liked that it was Marvin that boarded up the front door. 
I really want to see that STARS photo though in higher res when the game is out. 

--

January 10, 2019 at 11:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheCaretaker

I didn't want to look. I didn't want any spoilers.

But...I couldn't resist. I skimmed through your post, BSAArklay (currently downloading the demo as I type this) and noticed the screenshot of the painting you posted. After some digging I managed to find it.

"The Toilette of Venus" by Francois Boucher [1751]

This is a neat tie in with the original remake. Once again, Venus is the subject."The Birth of Venus" by Alexandre Cabanel appeared in the Spencer Mansion and Francois Boucher's "Christ and John the Baptist as Children" also featured. That's a good sign in my book. I wanted them to keep to the spirit of the original remake as much as possible. It seems their attention to detail is there, but like you mentioned, it's early doors and there's no way of knowing until the full game is released.

Thanks a lot for the screenshots. I think I agree with some of the things you're saying already and I haven't even played it myself yet. I had similar thoughts when watching videos of the gameplay. As for the music, the original remake found a happy balance of music and atmosphere, so I'm hoping the same thing happens here.

It just finished installing. Feels like 1998 all over again.

EDIT: I've played it, here's what I thought. It took me 15 minutes to complete because I was rushing. I didn't want to experience too much, I just wanted a taste. The Main Hall of the precinct is sorely lacking the old theme. That's my biggest gripe. I can understand the lack of music elsewhere, but the save room has a reworked version of the old save theme, so the Main Hall could have had something a bit more impactful. What we have instead is too subtle.

The lack of fixed camera angles has a major impact for me. In a way, the sense of scale is lost. Environments can pass you by in a blur and things can start to look very samey. You get to explore nooks and crannies with your flashlight of course and take things at a slower pace if you'd like. I was rushing because it was timed, but in the full game I'll certainly stop to take in my surroundings. However, with the original remake as the prime example, the fixed camera angles were a thing of beauty in themselves. Each new camera transition presented a new work of art and this is something I'll miss, having played a lot of the original remake recently. Having said that, the gameplay, the gun mechanics, the menus and the overall fluidity of the game feels nice and some of this is helped by the over the shoulder view. So I do see the advantages of it as well. We've seen it work in other RE games, but the problem with those, they didn't feel like RE games to me. This one does. I skipped the cutscenes and the transitions were instant. Other than the initial startup, I don't remember any load screens. It was seemless. Overall I really enjoyed the experience and I'm looking forward to playing the full game!

January 11, 2019 at 12:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

So I took the liberty of transcribing the text from a YouTuber's unboxing video. Full credit goes to TheRelaxingEnd. Please check out the video and his channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8asBWcL4aWs&t=643s

Now I recommend that you watch the video linked above and pause when reading the text as RelaxingEnd allows for ample time to do so and you can also enjoy the art and understand what the text is reffering to. I have transcribed the text just so we can refer to if anyone want's to discuss any points in the future. Enjoy.

Resident Evil 2 Collector’s Edition

Ben’s File

(Cover)

WRITTEN AUTHORIZATIN REQUIRED TO READ THIS FILE

This information is

Top Secret x

Secret

Confidential

Sensitive

Created by… Date…

File No.

File Name: REDACTED

WARNING

FILE MUST NO BE REMOVED FORM THE PREMISES

(Page 1)

COPIES OR REPRODUCTIONS ARE NOT PERMITTED

File No. 2-12 55492

(Page 2 and 3)

Textures from the game.

(Pages 4 and 5)

The Raccoon City police department’s logo in the 1F lobby, thought to have been taken for the records. This is the most basic version of the logo, but we have confirmed that other variations exist.

(Pages 6 and 7)

Moved to another site

(Pages 7 and 8 )

A statue from the time when the station was an art museum. Placed in the main hall as a symbol of the Raccoon City Police Department.

(Pages 10 and 11)

Several photos showing suspicious silhouettes were found on rolls of film. The evidence will have to be carefully scrutinised to determine whether these silhouettes are human, or whether they depict the beginnings of the incident.

(Pages 18 and 19)

Many photos of the Raccoon City’s Police Chief’s office were found on rolls of film. We suspect that the target of these photos was the man depicted above, the Raccoon City Police Chief. See File No. 504323 for further details on the chief.

(Pages unknown)

The “LEON” referred to in this banner is thought to be Leon S. Kennedy, a rookie cop due to be assigned to the R.P.D. See File No. 05872 for details.

(Pages 26 and 27)

Photos of the offices show various tactical plans and memos. These have been drawn up in response to the incident.

A photo of a newspaper, the focus is to blurry to make out any of the info on these articles. If it was possible to date this newspaper we might be able to work out when these photos were taken.

(Pages 28 and 29)

Photos of the area surrounding the desk of the survivor Chris Redfield (No. 65445. Chris Redfield is the brother of Claire Redfield, who was also involved in the incident. See File No. 05873 for details.

--

January 23, 2019 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Well here we are, after all this time, 6 million Podcasts and Youtube fan videos later we have our Remake 2. I tried to mantain my composure with my thoughts on the game from announcement to launch by keeping expectations low and not expecting too much. If you go back and listen to our CHE podcast you will find that I pretty much stated there that the thing I was anticipating the most was background lore and fleshing out the environments, characters, bow's etc. Basically I was looking forward to files and environmental details. Now that has been said lets look at the positives first.

I liked the additional scenarios the most such as the gas station area as short as it was, Sherry's new scenario and anytime we were exploring Raccoon City although these moments were few and far between and with quite sparse details, the city almost felt uninhabited to a certain degree, yes it is during an apocolypse however people still lived there before the outbreak and there seemed to be very few shops, locations and throwbacks like most of the buildings were very generic. I think the graphics were good no complaints there and the soundtrack was decent. Having listened to it all (outside of the game, because you cannot hear it during the game) I can say there are some decent tracks in there however there isn't a lot of variety 25 tracks in total on the OST is very short for a Resident Evil title. I enjoyed playing the game on standard and found it to be quite challenging especially toward the end. Went into the last boss fight with zero health items. Took me 3 goes to defeat him. There is a lot of trial and error in this game and it can be mastered if you want to put the time in, for example it took me several hours to finally make it through Fourth Survivor and I learned a pattern of what to do however I only endeavored this because it was story based. Had one go at Tofu and don't really want to try it again, putting that much time in just didn't seem worth it. I had a lot of fun being chased by Mr. X, he did force you into that old school mentality of "planning your route". Positives about the story. I liked Sherry's new chapter and the files that came with it, they were some of the only files in the game that actually told a backstory to the location and brought it to life, I enjoyed Annette's character although she was pretty close to Darkside, I think hers and Kendo's voice actors did a terrific job, and the coded file from Chris and the posters that we actually could read were very enjoyable. Also liked the addition of the collapsed road outside of Kendo's gun shop. I was curious how this got there and at first thought it could be an Outbreak throwback from the end of the "Outbreak" scenario when you blow up main street, however due to the scaffolding, signs and the fact it was cordoned off means this happened before the outbreak occured. Infact when Leon is talking with Ben he mentions that "big fucking sink hole in the city" in regards to talking about Umbrella. Could this possibly be due to the effect of the improper disposal of the chemicals that Birkin flooded the P12 Plant with. Hopefully this is a crossover from background lore of the original that made it into the Remake. Look forward to the guide book coming soon to flesh out on some extra details and hopefully the supplementals can help to beef up the lore for this game, as has happened in the past.

Now onto the negatives, the biggest disapointment for me was the lack of lore/environmental details, character details and BOW information. You could probably count on two hands the amount of posters that were actually readable. Blury textures seriously annoys me and makes me think that Capcom do not care about giving us this information. Much like the files when you read a file regarding the area you are in it helps set the mood, explain it's history inform you of the past and type of area this was, considering this was difficult with the original I think this was the perfect oppourtunity to make the most of expanding upon Raccoon City. Surely this wasn't above and beyond expectations. We got stuff like a burger poster, tin of beans promotion, herb ice cream. This is Raccoon City, you can establish and build on this iconic city I dont want to read about canned goods, such a waste. If we had this insane detailed environment information this is what excites me about the series adding dates to our timeline. Cross checking the maps, theorising and discussing it with friends, but I have very little to say regarding the lore of this game, including the files. They play it very safe and give just enough information without having to flex their brain muscles, using new characters in files and never mentioning an established NPC at the very least. Like the Brad Vickers poster, that is fantastic. Why could we not have had loads of this type of information. I could go away right now and come up with a whole bunch of ideas for posters to place in the RPD. RPD parties and arrangements, shooting competions, Arklay posters, City Hall flyers, Big E concert advertisements, Raccoon University announcements, Umbrella promotions! Come on. The lore is in the details. Until Dawn did it, Life is strange did it, GTA did it. It's called world building and it give's people something to talk about. And reused textures from RE7? Like Jack Baker's scriblings, a magazine about Raccoon City's destruction post dated Remake2? I hate this. That is not an easter egg Capcom, this is what we call copy and pasting. Other issues are the fact that Capcom told us there would be more NPC characters this time around and we got one guy who wasn't in the original in Elliot and we had already seen him by the time they told us that piece of info.

Let me quickly blow through some smaller issues that I think they should fix for the next installment: turn the music up, don't take away the ability to manually organise our item box, perhaps introduce a dodge mechanic or allow players to stealth kill, give us information on the BOW's there was nothing on them. Lastly please remember that not everyone that plays Resident Evil is a Youtuber/Streamer. I swear this game should be called Remake 2 The Youtube Edtion. Speedrunning is not for everyone. The rank system is solely based on your speed. Doesn't matter how many times you die, how accurate you are or how many saves you make. It all come's down to speed and it's not for me and pretty sure I am not alone on that. But the whole reward scheme is based around getting S Ranks by speed running and even the extra game modes. Both clearly created for Youtubers and Streamers, congratulations it is a clever concept to flood social media with these videos however you now massively risk alienating those who don't enjoy these modes and the casuals who couldn't give a damn about getting S Ranks. Because when the next big game drops they will say good ridance to your game and be streaming the next big thing, leaving ony the true fans of this series to discuss what's left over and honestly I think the whole game is lacking in this respect. Most people will probably never finish Fourth Survivor or enjoy unlimited ammo because it's just not worth the effort. I would absolutely play hardcore mode but you want to attach a reward for getting an S Rank which means I cannot take my time with it, enjoy the challenge and appriciate the atmosphere. No I have to sprint through the game avoiding everything, not engaging, just run, run, run, run. It's not an enjoyable way for me to experience this series.

Anyway I could go a lot longer discussing the game, it is still early days and I may change my mind come supplementals, DLC or just further exploration but these are my general thoughts as of now. I enjoyed Claire A a lot more than Leon A. The B sides were pretty pointless really, should have just added the Birkin fight to the end of A because that's the only difference. Would have loved to have gotten a lot more lore to discuss, new areas such as The Orphanage would also have been a nice addition. They could have cut the sewer area in half and added another new small environment. In the concept art it shows some sort of cable car and it says unused in the top left. How awesome would it have been to get to take a quick trip into Arklay via this cable car, or even get to visit the football stadium.One last point before I wrap this up, the S.T.A.R.S. office. I was so excited to go there and see what they have added and we got a partional wall and a picture of a dog which by the way another missed oppourtunity. Never been a single mention of Jill owning a dog, however if they put a horse in that picture that would have been such a fantastic refference to Fate of Raccoon City and showed me that yes they do know their history and do their research. For one of the most stand out rooms in the whole series I really did expect more. How hard would it have been just to give something new on Forest, Enrico, Brad, whoever just a brief file, or even personal items on their desks so we can recognise this is Forest's desk. At the very least I expected a letter from perhaps Enrico's wife, Richard's sister or another fallen S.T.A.R.S. members loved one perhaps consoling one of our survivors or even blaming them for what happened, but I guess that would be asking too much.

To sum up the lore was a pretty big let down for me, I was expecting them to at least once try to explain a previous unanswered plot hole. The gameplay and graphics were perfectly acceptable. This is a good solid overall game however my issues are in the details here, I could say the same for 7, that wasn't a badly made game it's just I have come to expect certain things for these games and now that horror has come back the details seem to have been sacrificed in the process. Not quite sure how the Original, Remake and Darkside are going to all fit together now, which one takes precedence? If they don't start story and world building, character building and establishing a lore to this series then my interest here is sinking fast. RE7 and now this seemed to me to be about the horror and for mainstream, with a pitance of lore thrown in there like Capcom throwing us a bone. Everything above considered if this game was Revelations 3 or RE8 and not a Remake of 2 with it's own new story and characters I would probably score it a 8. However taking into consideration everything above and that this is a remake and how I think it held up to what I imagine a Remake should offer to an original I would have to go with a 7/10. Still early days yet but I think that is a score that I will remain close to throughout.

--

January 28, 2019 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3
I'm back!!! After an extended hiatus, I've returned! I've brought with me good tidings... and my thoughts on REmake2/RE2make. The Good: As BSAArklay did, I'll begin with some positive things from the recent game. I enjoyed seeing the environments from the OG RPD Reimagened. For example, I was glad to see RESTROOMS in Raccoon City for the first time since RE: Outbreak. That was something in OG trilogy, I always found a bit odd that the Mansion with a minimum staff had more bathrooms than did the whole of the RPD and Raccoon City itself. I mean we SAW sewers...But where did the waste come from? Commodes? Anyway, I actually didn t mind the new Front Hall. I liked how the Dev's didn't slip in TOO many anachronisms like smart phones in 98'. The dressing up of the front hall as an emergency field hospital was much appreciated as you could get a sense of the urgency in the ever losing battle against the BOWs and Undead. The addition of the orphanage was neat and has allot of potential for expansion on its background. From the sparse files, it felt very similar to the situation on Sheena Island from RE GUN: Survivor. With Kid test subjects being used by Umbrella for research on BOWs. One of the other things that I REALLY appreciated was the upgrading of the Lickers. Back in the day, I never felt as afraid of the Lickers as I did with Hunters in terms of a tougher enemy type. Also in the Originals the whole 'They're Blind, so try and be silent' aspect REALLY didn't work out in the game as well as it does now. The fact that the Lickers are SO strong now, made me want to avoid a confrontation at all costs. If I could avoid them I did. Whereas 21 years ago I would've just used the M79 Grenade Launcher and be done with them. The devs did a great job with the Zombies as well.The fact it takes so many rounds to put them down for good. Makes ammo conservation something to think about again. As it should always be. The ability of enemies to be in the same area and attack you simultaneously is both frightning and great to finally see. HUNK's mode is WAY harder because of said enemy combinations and that gives the challenge a whole new dimension of diffculty that I appreciate. The return of defensive items from REmake was great to see and being able to pick up my Knife after killing the Zombie or BOW was a welcome change. Finally, I'd say the Voice work was well done, especially the Kendo Gun Shop scene as Leon. That part got me on the fells. Something a RE game hasn't achieved for me in QUITE a long time. As was Annette's performance, I liked her characterization overall in this and the acting was great by her VA. Irons was okay, I still love Gary Crawford and nothing will ever take away that brooding menace he had, In terms of the new Irons though? I could believe he was looked at as a sort of pillar of the community and a jolly father/grandfather like figure. When he wanted to put the charm on. The Bad: Okay, now for the part most casual's expect us fan's to whinge about all the time. As a REmake of one of the most important sequels in gaming history? RE2make falls flat on its face for me. The game feels hollow, like they just threw together a bunch of cut scenes from the OG game and DC. Then spun them up in the RE Engine with better graphics and slightly (in some cases) or MAJOR overhauls in the story. Not in the good way most of the time either. So let me expound upon this a little bit. Various things contributed to this feeling of emptiness or lack of soul in the game. No ONE thing is overall responsible I feel. For starters, the story, while broadly, it matches what came before. It takes quite a few liberties with the established canon. Gutting whole connecting tissue to previous entries. Almost to the point of making this game feel like a stand alone as opposed to a sequel. The lack of references, whether by characters themselves (Marvin, Annette, Irons, ETC.) or any mention of said events in files/video feeds. Left me feeling like I wasn't playing the follow up to REmake or the first half of RE3. It would have been easy to throw in a reference to Jill and Nemesis of the day previous through a Video Feed from security cameras. The fact that RE1/REmake is barely touched upon (really if at all) is also disconcerting. Like, they REALLY couldn't have brought back files such as Chris's Diary, Chris's Fax, Rebecca's Report, and throw in a few newer files fleshing out other S.T.A.R.S. characters like Enrico, Forrest, Barry, Joesph, or Brad? REALLY Capcom?! That's not eveing the point out of Marvin just acting like Chris returning from the Mansion Incident alive then going on vacation is just a normal thing? Like, why wasn't it mentioned (as it was in the original) that after Chris, Jill, Barry, and Rebecca came back from the Mansion. They were made a laughing stock and basically ostrizied from the rest of their co-workers? Why didn't Irons make mention of the S.T.A.R.S. in Claire's scenario? Flesh out Iron's hatred for Chris and the other S.T.A.R.S. members. You know, world building? Instead we got a lame fake letter from Chris, which on its own with the previous files would've been fine. But, since that's literally ALL we get even mentioning the previous game. It's really pathetic. Claire doesn't say anything except " Doesn't sound like my Bro." and NEVER asks any questions from anyone again. It's just forgotten about. As if the Devs were like " here's your refecrence hardcore fans, now f-off! ". It's truly baffles. Like we got ONE officer extra alive in the building... only for him to die. That was it. Where's David Ford? Here's a file, K Bye! They make small references to RE Outbreak but they're barely worth mentioning, save for the effect it has on the screwing with the timeline of 3 previous games. Then there's Leon and the whole DAY BEFORE the outbreak he is told to stay away from the city? WTF? Why would they call him and tell him to stay away before there was any threat? Were there precog's in the RPD we didn't know about? Yet they still set up their little party for Leon's first day... The day before? The same day they told him NOT to come there cause of the danger? Also Ada and the whole FBI thing were weak and now makes me wonder how John was able to date an "FBI" agent at the Mansion? Like his letter to her mentions nothing of her lie about being an agent in one of the highest levels of Law Enforcement in the U.S.. Why didn't he ask her to bring the full weight of the US Law Enforment Agencies down on the Lab in Arklay? Also, why didn't Annette KNOW her from the Lab in the Mansion like she did previously in OG RE2? Again, the lack of connective tissue is very annoying and disconcerting. Now onto the Main characters and their redesigns. I never minded Leon's because it was basically a more realistic approach to his OG costume and it didn't stray so far away that you couldn't tell it was RE2 Leon. Claire on the other hand? G-E-N-E-R-I-C as all get out! Zoey-Claire isn't how I would have imagined her AT ALL. Capcom made her look like an NPC from Outbreak. There really wasn't any personality to her new design. No upside down Redfield Knife, no visible Made in Heaven logo. Like she didn't need Booty shorts again or anything. But, come on! If someone would have shown me her character model, out of context, without any foreknowledge it was Claire. I woulda been like who's that? Next the " Scenarios " or lack thereof. Firstly, let me say how utterly pointless A and B are in this game. MR.X is in BOTH scenarios, you get a glorified cutscene with the Zombie Alligator rather than a proper boss fight. Heck, the boss fights are all EXCATALY the same until the end in B with Tyrant. But, even with their own scenarios Capcom couldn't get the stories to connect in a coherent way. Like are we seriously to believe Annette shoots William with that Flare gun with acid, get grabbed and thrown. Get back up and go cure Sherry only to DIE shortly thereafter... Revive somehow and do the same for Leon. THEN she dies... Only she doesn't, instead she's on her 3rd life and uses it to shoot Ada. Only to die AGAIN?! I don't envy those of you who have to make this somehow canonically fit into the established timeline in a way that makes any sense. Not to mention there are a handful of changed cut scenes and no changed dialogue to write home about if playing both scenarios as the same character. Also the fact that Williams infection and indeed the story of HOW the city got infected is told through these crappy Blair Witch Project style found footage tapes. That takes playing BOTH scenarios as different characters to get the complete story that only ONE of the main characters is able to connect the dots on how the outbreak was caused by the rats. Not to mention in the initial encounter William looked legit DEAD after being shot by J. Martinez. Then in another cutscene he's in the same position he was sitting up in back in the OG RE2? Like, wait... WHAT? Even when they DID do some things I enjoyed. They still found ways to make it seem bland. The boss fights are a case in point here. the Fights with G1, G3, and G4 were bland and cookie cutter. Shoot glowing parts till main glowing thing emerges or until cutscene. Tyrant's boss fight was a return to form though, so there's that. G2's 1.5 Esq battles were a nice change of pace with the shipping container. But, it felt rushed and unfinished. By the way, how many Tyrants were there? In Claire's Scenario, he gets got by G1 and never returns. In Leon's he returns... without any damage and gets got by Ada. Then returns for a final battle? Anyway, yeah the fact that the Alligator was clearly a last minute addition. Causing it to not even constitute a mention as a Boss battle is both sad and speaks volumes with what is wrong with this game. From an older fan's perspective. At least, speaking for myself and my Older Sister it did. Then there's the Knife, which isn't a default weapon anymore, but works like the Dagger in REmake and but degrades over time. Forcing you to find more knives. But don't you fret! The OG default of pretty much EVERY RE game to date is now a secret unlockable! Yes! That's right, if you want a non breaking knife you gotta UNLOCK IT! It'd be like having to unlock First Aid Sprays after finishing the game on a 2 hour run on Hard mode... It's not even something worth unlocking and it's baffling that was what the Dev's thought should be an unlockable item. Not the Minigun or Barry's Revolver. Nope. The standard Combat Knife. Now THAT'S an unlockable! Enemy types are next. WHERE was the variety? The Ivy's were just the Plant Zombies rehauled from Outbreak and what happened to the Black Lickers? Or how about the lack of Crimson Heads? That's been something I've wanted to see in a RE2make since REmake. I'm surprised we got half the enemies we did. If Capcom found it so hard to make different enemy types in the game. Oh, and finally. While I appreciate the picture of Rebecca still being on Weskers desk. I DON'T like the lazy photo shopping of the character render from RE0 and the creepy vibe it now puts off. Like it was weird and disturbing Wesker had it in the original RE2, but the photo (save for Becca's choice in wardrobe in said photo) was benign. Now it looks like she was doing a Sport Illustrated Swim Suit Edition photo session. I could go on. But I├???m tired of talking about the negatives. MY SCORE: 6.5/10 - It had its moments and I didn't HATE it as much as my complaints at the top would have you believe. But, for a REmake of such an important entry in the RE series. One fans World Wide hold dear and have been clamoring for since 2002's REmake of RE1. It's just not up to snuff. Which has me worried for any further REmakes in the future. In summary, why I love REmake: 70% the same and 30% new. Why I'm not a huge fan of RE2make: 80% new 20% original.
January 30, 2019 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

All I was seeing on social media was people say how perfect this game is and that it is better than the original, better than Remake 1 etc etc. Then I started looking at the forums and finally found people who I agreed with. Not just here but at Biohaze, REDatabase and so on. Very proud of the forum fanbase for not falling into the social media hype. It's not just nonsensical issues either the problems stated by Bloodeye, WeskersReport and Captain Redfield over at Biohaze are honest issues that I even found myself saying during the game, some of the opinions are straight up word for word what I thought. I couldn't fit everything into my review but everyone else is pointing out these issues. I hope that Capcom would see our issues and not just the universal praise. That is the only way that things will change for Remake 3. Otherwise we will get exactly the samething but maybe with even less effort. The sparse details in the cities environments like the buildings and streets were pretty poor and Resident Evil 3 with it's pre rendered backgrounds were rich with life.

Resident Evil 2 I was never a big fan of. I like the game a lot but it's not in my top 5. Resident Evil 3 however I adore and I worry that a remake of 3 is now a sure thing and when people praise Remake 2 the way they are then none of the issues that we are finding will be aknowledged. We can expect the samething for 3 and it's such a shame that all they have to do is apply themselves to the lore and we could have gotten a fantastic game. Ever since Resident Evil 4 it has been a case of it the story is good then the gameplay is not and vice versa. Maybe due to a rushed schedule, I don't know.

--

January 30, 2019 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3

BSAArklay at January 30, 2019 at 7:49 PM

All I was seeing on social media was people say how perfect this game is and that it is better than the original, better than Remake 1 etc etc. Then I started looking at the forums and finally found people who I agreed with. Not just here but at Biohaze, REDatabase and so on. Very proud of the forum fanbase for not falling into the social media hype. It's not just nonsensical issues either the problems stated by Bloodeye, WeskersReport and Captain Redfield over at Biohaze are honest issues that I even found myself saying during the game, some of the opinions are straight up word for word what I thought. I couldn't fit everything into my review but everyone else is pointing out these issues. I hope that Capcom would see our issues and not just the universal praise. That is the only way that things will change for Remake 3. Otherwise we will get exactly the samething but maybe with even less effort. The sparse details in the cities environments like the buildings and streets were pretty poor and Resident Evil 3 with it's pre rendered backgrounds were rich with life.

Resident Evil 2 I was never a big fan of. I like the game a lot but it's not in my top 5. Resident Evil 3 however I adore and I worry that a remake of 3 is now a sure thing and when people praise Remake 2 the way they are then none of the issues that we are finding will be aknowledged. We can expect the samething for 3 and it's such a shame that all they have to do is apply themselves to the lore and we could have gotten a fantastic game. Ever since Resident Evil 4 it has been a case of it the story is good then the gameplay is not and vice versa. Maybe due to a rushed schedule, I don't know.

Yeah, it definitely felt rushed in a few areas. Which if that was indeed the case and the Dev┬?s needed more time. Then I┬?d have been perfectly fine with waiting another Year or so just for more fleshing out of content and features. Sadly I believe you┬?re right about the influence Social Media will have on how future REmake┬?s and newer entries (RE8, REV3, Etc.) will be made. That┬?s something I hope isn┬?t the case. But... I┬?m none too confident Capcom will take any criticisms to heart and change what didn┬?t work here for the next game.
January 30, 2019 at 8:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

It does feel rushed in some areas, it's not a perfect game but just for fun and a graphical update, it does its job. Is there still a canon debate on this, whether its replacing the original or just a reimagining? 
I see ppl already wanting a re3 remake already before getting 8 but realistically 8 is more likely to be out before it with it already being in production. Plus I want to see where the current canon is going to beyond 7 before playing another remake.
I would prefer it that anyway so we don't get burned out on remakes coming out so close together.

--

January 31, 2019 at 9:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3

ResiEvilChic96 at January 31, 2019 at 9:46 AM

It does feel rushed in some areas, it's not a perfect game but just for fun and a graphical update, it does its job. Is there still a canon debate on this, whether its replacing the original or just a reimagining? 
I see ppl already wanting a re3 remake already before getting 8 but realistically 8 is more likely to be out before it with it already being in production. Plus I want to see where the current canon is going to beyond 7 before playing another remake.
I would prefer it that anyway so we don't get burned out on remakes coming out so close together.

In regards to canon, I don├??t see how this doesn├??t replace RE2 1998. I mean, how do you combine the two narratives in a coherent way? I agree about wanting RE8 before anymore REmakes. Although I certainly wouldn├??t complain if Capcom re-released RE Outbreak Files #1&2 remastered. With online gaming having come SO far in the last decade. I think I speak for the majority of fans when I say, we would gladly pay for it.
January 31, 2019 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Yoke

Personally, I don't care about RE2 but I thought RE2make was pretty good. I do have issues with it. The opening and ending are shit and lore stuff being changed or taken out sucks but at the end of the day. My general rule is "was it fun". This game is extremely fun to play.

Edit: Opinion change, found Rebeccas picture. 10/10 best game ever made!

--

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong."

January 31, 2019 at 8:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

It's like The Avengers. They tell a joke every 3rd line just because, the story is dumber than fuck, the acting is whatever, but they poured in so much money and special effects that it's nice

I mean not having lore is whatever, they assume everyone have played the original, if they haven't, they wouldn't care anyway.. And yea today social media, twitch and youtube are everything. It's also a trend today to link everything that happens today with being the best of all time, for example 'THIS NBA TEAM IS THE GREATEST EVER' or 'THIS ACTRESS IS THE BEST EVER' by the media too. Like maybe it's supposed to make everyone feel blessed that we are living in 2019. I mean this is a nice game but i wouldn't call it the best Reisdent Evil by a longshot(although it's far better than 7 which is trash 3/10 indy horror game).

And the positive thing that comes out of the media, stream and twitch circus is that they will now remake as many games as possible, and maybe they will improve, although i doubt it

--

February 1, 2019 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2Q3L134mY

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

February 2, 2019 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Bl00dy3y3 at January 31, 2019 at 2:59 PM

ResiEvilChic96 at January 31, 2019 at 9:46 AM

In regards to canon, I don├??t see how this doesn├??t replace RE2 1998. I mean, how do you combine the two narratives in a coherent way? I agree about wanting RE8 before anymore REmakes. Although I certainly wouldn├??t complain if Capcom re-released RE Outbreak Files #1&2 remastered. With online gaming having come SO far in the last decade. I think I speak for the majority of fans when I say, we would gladly pay for it.

I'd be totally on board for outbreak b/c like you pointed out with how online gaming is today, I think it'd benefit greatly, to me it seemed like Outbreak was ahead of its time and deserves another crack at it. I think the thing I'm getting kind of annoyed with is some ppl acting like these remakes are going to reboot the entire series and they'll remake on forward with 4-6. I mean we don't know that for sure,  but RE8 was already long confirmed in development by Jun Takeuchi. I don't see them fully rebooting the series yet.

--

February 5, 2019 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.