TO BECOME A MEMBER EMAIL [email protected]

CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community Site & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Resident Evil 2 Remake

Survivalist
It seems redundant to me to express certainty either way regarding both the nature of the finished product and the way in which it is being developed. I don't understand why some people are being so black and white, since both poles, of course, run the risk of being wrong.
August 24, 2015 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

This is a minor thing but I am just curious which Hunk people want to show up for in the cutscenes and 4th Survivor. I personally never liked the Bio 4 version of him, but I admit that the Bio 2 version while the suit was very cool it lacked any sort of gear/attachments, it is like they went in with just their primary weapon and nothing else. Outbeaks however stuck true to the Bio 2 uniform and updated it to make it more believable so I would like to see the Outbreak version used. Or perhaps some people did not like any and would like to see something new.

August 25, 2015 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

SamuraiEdge at August 25, 2015 at 6:59 PM

This is a minor thing but I am just curious which Hunk people want to show up for in the cutscenes and 4th Survivor. I personally never liked the Bio 4 version of him, but I admit that the Bio 2 version while the suit was very cool it lacked any sort of gear/attachments, it is like they went in with just their primary weapon and nothing else. Outbeaks however stuck true to the Bio 2 uniform and updated it to make it more believable so I would like to see the Outbreak version used. Or perhaps some people did not like any and would like to see something new.

first off, I'm hoping they won't mess with 4th Survivor. We already have a remake of it in Umbrella Chronicles that keeps the same primis and expands on things(NIGHT HAWK, GOBLIN 6, and radio transmissions). Why waste time and remake a remake?

But lets break down each look. The Cutscean version of RE2 is basic. It's brown pants, shirt, and vest with gasmask and gloves. Bassicly showing that they went in not expecting anything to happen. Outbreak, as you pointed out, keeps true to this but made them grey(like the concept art for the 4th Survivor title screen) and added more variety or pockets and items on the belts, such as spare clips, side arms, and so on. Like RE2 they don't look like they where expecting too much trouble, so they have basic equipment. Both Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles shows HUNK with his RE4 uniform, while showing one other USS agent. This version of HUNK's uniform looks like it's more suited for Biohazard while keeping that werent expecting trouble look. ORC did a nice mix of everthing with HUNK and other agents(not counting Wolfpack).

So with all that said I want something close to ORC. Make their uniforms a nice mix of everything that came before.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM

“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

August 26, 2015 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Thanks for sharing your input USS Command, I have to look up how his ORC uniform is again since I forget. I was also never a fan of 4th Survivor in Chronicles, the radio chatter really got on my nerve. Also hoping they stick with the H&K MP5A2/3, or rather go back to that.

August 26, 2015 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

I've stated several times on their FB page about things so I won't repeat here and I will say this to all users of the site. Do not start fights, if you disagree with one another, okay, but there is no need to insult one another. We all have various opinions and ideas, so respect it.

My various concerns for REmake 2 is them changing the story, camera and stuff like that. If they do include the 4th Survivor, I'd be thrilled if they include Tofu because it's a hilarious thing.

I'm just hoping they do not change it for the worse because many want it to be the same game but updated graphics. Be like REmake and not RE4-6.

Be a miracle if they did remakes of Dead Aim, Survivor, Code Veronica X and Outbreak series or even a new one. 

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

August 27, 2015 at 10:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Welsh

I think you guys are being too hard on the Bio2 remake. First, we're lucky its even happening. Second, unlike 1, Capcom has a lot of development materials from 2 leftover. Third, the creators are friends of Kamiyas' so they'll probably ask him to review it, and make the necessary changes. Fourth, Bio2 was a state of the art game at the time, so it would be remiss to use an old formula for the remake of it. Fifth, from what I heard on the P:U podcast about adding Sergi and other crap like that, that Leon or Claire should not and would not have any knowledge of is worse than anything Capcom could come up with. Leon is basically John from terminator with a Robocp outfit, Claire is Sarah/Ripley and Sherry is Newt. If they maintain that atmosphere, the game will do fine. Fifth, the 3D enviromental backgrounds and textures are still archived, so it they make it in full poly, we'll finally be able to see what those developer signatures actually are. Sixth, if done properly, they'll logically move onto Biohazard 3 and be able to reuse some of the assets like the police station. Seventh, Biohazard died with Wesker (and Spencer), so until Jake takes over his father's legacy or they do a prequel, the series will never return to its roots, but Capcom still did an excellent job with the visuals of 5/6. Eighth, the textures of remake were also used in 0, Bio2, 3, Outbreak, 5, 6, etc. Therefore, even if Capcom changes a few rooms, which is fine as long as its in the same style or better than remake, it will still maintain that "Bio-feel". You guys have to understand that Outbreak was made by a different department, and ORC and UC were recycled Outbreak locations outsourced to TOSE, using none of the original assets. That's why they look so shitty when compared to 2. I don't think Capcom will even consider Darkside because even the new additions like the bloodied Licker room are already known, and they'll want to surprise the player with new content. The BG artist for remake left with Mikami and did the stuff for Evil Within, so he's out. But I'll bet Capcom will review the original stage art carefully, assign them to a good designer, and that person will consider which elements should be carried over to the remake.

Have faith people. If the remake of 2 is designed as an actual numbered title, the quality should be as good or better than 6. Visually anyway. The story is already written, and Sugimura is dead, so they'll probably just adjust the dialogue and make a few new scenes. I think Capcom is aware that this game will be the deciding factor of which direction to take the series in, so they won't half-ass it. It's also a masterpiece in the company and once had the world record for sales on the PS1.

February 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Survivalist at July 31, 2015 at 5:13 AM

I'm pretty much with Crimson Elder here. Despite the absence of Survivial Horror in 5 and 6, and the diet RER series, I am excited about this. I am one of those people who has been keen for a RE2 remake. They have a clear and highly distinctive template to use, and it seems that the feedback they have received will simply not allow them to stray far from it. I'm being optimistic, but if they can do the game justice, then I want to play the game they create. I was playing RE2 recently, and noticed that the renders, although beautiful from an artistic standpoint, do suffer technically (not nearly as much of an issue for RE3). I have always wished to see Raccoon city fleshed out more too; its destruction at the end of RE3 is probably the saddest computer game moment for me. As thousands have doubtless stated, if they are able to pull of a REmake-like feat, then I couldn't be more enthusiastic. Even the wonderful, subtle update to the soundtrack they did for that game generates passion for this idea. It depends on the right people doing the job. It is a risk I definitely want them to take.

If they were to fail, I don't think they would do so spectacularly, and in any case the original games would of course still be available to enjoy as we have done for many years. I simply do not see the harm. If they preserve the static camera, save system, controls, etc, then it will be hard to completely fuck up, and definitely possible, with the correct philosphy, to make a truly incredible game. It's a chance for Capcom to FOCUS; something they have not done in a long time. The scope has become far too wide. The RE universe is a complete fucking mess now. With this, Capcom can potentially zoom back in and create the sharpest game they have in a long while. Potentially. Rebooting is possibly media's greatest blight of recent years, and I can't think of a worse way forward for the series. RE has pulled in too many directions and the narrative has become a devalued bloated mess that I am unable to generate any intetest in whatsoever. No new characters or villains please Capcom (you haven't introduced a good new character since RER1's Parker). No new organizations. No new viruses. You could attend to your legacy, instead.

Developers such as Nintendo and Konami are taking onboard the untraditional gaming philosophy of mobile gaming. Modern gaming is largely is characterized by generic gameplay and a homogenous soul. I hope this developer, which of late has made slightly better decisions, can maybe do something wonderful; a return to tradition.

I'm with Survivalist, and I think while TheBatMan's repsonse to his post is historically correct regarding Capcom's roll of shame, it's just too single-mindedly negative without allowing for any possibility that something special just might happen. If you read Welsh's post above mine, then I don't think I sound so stupid?!

TheOracleDragon how many times I gotta tell ya they gone done a CVX in HD?! ;)

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

February 5, 2016 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Welsh at February 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM

I think you guys are being too hard on the Bio2 remake. First, we're lucky its even happening. Second, unlike 1, Capcom has a lot of development materials from 2 leftover. Third, the creators are friends of Kamiyas' so they'll probably ask him to review it, and make the necessary changes. Fourth, Bio2 was a state of the art game at the time, so it would be remiss to use an old formula for the remake of it. Fifth, from what I heard on the P:U podcast about adding Sergi and other crap like that, that Leon or Claire should not and would not have any knowledge of is worse than anything Capcom could come up with. Leon is basically John from terminator with a Robocp outfit, Claire is Sarah/Ripley and Sherry is Newt. If they maintain that atmosphere, the game will do fine. Fifth, the 3D enviromental backgrounds and textures are still archived, so it they make it in full poly, we'll finally be able to see what those developer signatures actually are. Sixth, if done properly, they'll logically move onto Biohazard 3 and be able to reuse some of the assets like the police station. Seventh, Biohazard died with Wesker (and Spencer), so until Jake takes over his father's legacy or they do a prequel, the series will never return to its roots, but Capcom still did an excellent job with the visuals of 5/6. Eighth, the textures of remake were also used in 0, Bio2, 3, Outbreak, 5, 6, etc. Therefore, even if Capcom changes a few rooms, which is fine as long as its in the same style or better than remake, it will still maintain that "Bio-feel". You guys have to understand that Outbreak was made by a different department, and ORC and UC were recycled Outbreak locations outsourced to TOSE, using none of the original assets. That's why they look so shitty when compared to 2. I don't think Capcom will even consider Darkside because even the new additions like the bloodied Licker room are already known, and they'll want to surprise the player with new content. The BG artist for remake left with Mikami and did the stuff for Evil Within, so he's out. But I'll bet Capcom will review the original stage art carefully, assign them to a good designer, and that person will consider which elements should be carried over to the remake.

Have faith people. If the remake of 2 is designed as an actual numbered title, the quality should be as good or better than 6. Visually anyway. The story is already written, and Sugimura is dead, so they'll probably just adjust the dialogue and make a few new scenes. I think Capcom is aware that this game will be the deciding factor of which direction to take the series in, so they won't half-ass it. It's also a masterpiece in the company and once had the world record for sales on the PS1.

Were not lucky it's happening, it's a travesty in actual fact. I'm staggered people actually want this to happen. You could remake Aliens or Die Hard or Terminator with the biggest budget and the best filmmakers on the planet, it would not have a patch on the original. It's impossible to recreate that magic, especially after nearly 20 years. And Kamiya doesn't give two shits about Resident Evil 2. He hasn't for years. He'll have no interest whatsoever in 'reviewing it and no doubt just give it his blessing regardless of what it turns out like.

Sergei was already 'added' to RE2 with Umbrella Chronicles. So putting him in Remake 2 is nothing new, it's simply expanding on an already canonical concept. If Remake 2 is being treated as Resident Evil 7, it will be expected to sell the same numbers, as in upwards of 5 million at the very least. A true remake 2 made in the old style will never achiecve anything close to those numbers. It will be 3 million maximum, and that's not enough for what is essentially a new numbered title made from the ground up. RE6 has sold 6.5 million copies, and that's still classified as a failure.

February 5, 2016 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Welsh

Just give it a chance. We haven't even seen anything related to it yet. If I'm wrong, you can "told you so" in a few months. Capcom's development team is a new team and no dawn comes without darkness. I think they'll get it right. They're already training developers with remake and 0.

February 6, 2016 at 1:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

I'm not interested in 'told you so'. I just think there's plenty of evidence out there already to know it will never work. Remake 2 cannot be compared to either Remake or Zero HD, it's a wholly different animal being made by a company that lost their survival horror mentality years ago. Trust me, no one will be happier to see me proven wrong than myself. But I have little optimism as it's fundementally impossible for Capcom to satisfy all the RE fanbase with this game. Do they go old school, satisfy the old fans and end up with much lower sales? Do they go the modern route, appeal to the masses and guarentee better sales but alienate the old school? Or do they somehow find a middle ground and risk alienating everyone?  As a company in the business of making money, the answer seems obvious.

February 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Welsh

We'll pick this up when the first trailer is released.

February 6, 2016 at 2:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

I see Batman's points of view and obviously I understand where Batman is coming from and dont disagree with anything he has said however I am going to remain neutral until I see a reason to choose a side.

Obviously they are going to make mistakes and mess up some minor canon wether that be enviroment, characters or story. However as long as those mistakes are minor like have Marvin in another room then I can get past that. If the game plays like LIN and only has these minor flaws why throw away the whole Remake because of such a minor change. I will accept minor mistakes, minor retcons a remix of the soundtrack and no new information that was not present in RE2.

However on the flipside of this I will not accept major canon changes like Leon being a S.T.A.R.S. member. Basically if all it does is overwrite the original RE2 then I am ok with it. However if it hurts/contradicts the rest of the series that is not acceptable. I will not accept gameplay like RE6. Barrel rolling down a corridor and bursting through a window flying kicking a wasp off a Beagles nutsack is not acceptable. This has to be slow paced survival horror which is true to the original. This is not 1998 anymore and I dont expect identical gameplay to the original however something like LIN would be acceptable. No QTE'S. No unlockable files on Capcom's Twitter so they can get more hits and no files that damage the past or present of the series just for the sake of adding something new. Again it all depends on how major or minor these examples I have given are.

It is a difficult time to discuss this project without having a scrap of new information I honestly believe it could go either way. Do I feel Batman has more of a chance of being correct about what kind of game this will be? Yeah I would say I am 80% sure Batman is right. However Welsh, myself and others would prefer to remain optimistic about a project that has not even been born yet. We havent even had so much as a scan. Nothing. Like the live action movies I remained optimistic right up until the point I stopped watching them. I wouldn't even look at a trailer. I don't feel that way about the games so I am not going to treat it that way. If you think a project is doomed to fail at the mention of it then no you will probably never be happy with the end product.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

But it's non-canon, you can't be caught reading that!

February 6, 2016 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

It's been concerningly quiet on the development of this very contentious remake. But we may have just had a hint as to when REmake2 could finally appear. Capcom recently announced during its latest financial results that it will release a major title by the end of March 2018, which would coincide rather nicely with the 20th anniversary of the PS1 original!

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

April 29, 2017 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Alyson Court,unfortunately confirming she is not reprising the role of Claire Redfield for the remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtuCEDTaXqc" target="_blank">http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtuCEDTaXqc

Sad to hear that, was that close to having her on too. Oh well, the show must go on. It was nice of her to let us know this now before we ever see a trailer of remake and hearing Claire speak. Well the show must go on. I wish Alyson the best in future stuff. 

June 13, 2017 at 9:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Connel

ResiEvilChic96 at June 13, 2017 at 9:54 PM

Alyson Court,unfortunately confirming she is not reprising the role of Claire Redfield for the remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtuCEDTaXqc" target="_blank">http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtuCEDTaXqc

Sad to hear that, was that close to having her on too. Oh well, the show must go on. It was nice of her to let us know this now before we ever see a trailer of remake and hearing Claire speak. Well the show must go on. I wish Alyson the best in future stuff. 

Rats. I named my daughter after Claire Redfield. Court was great. It'll be hard to accept, just like it was hard to take Keifer Sutherland as Snake in MGS5. 

--

If the suspense doesn't kill you, something else will.

July 24, 2017 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

SamuraiEdge at August 25, 2015 at 6:59 PM

It's a good point to dwell on, and whilst a small part of the bigger picture it could still be huge sign of how this project is being produced; will it be the old skool mimimal look, or the new generation polished Hunk with Kung-Fu grip and James Bond gadgets?! I agree with Survivalist that these are unknown days, not worth such black & white speculation, many in this debate need to relax their panic until we have at least seen a debut gameplay trailer.

--

July 27, 2017 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96
According to Dusk Golem at neogaf, http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=249227524: "It's not been silently killed, they're only being silent because they're working hard on it and want to show it off in the best possible way. It got behind schedule due to two things (there was an internal conflict about direction and they had the opening nearly done but then scrapped it and redid it again) which put them behind schedule. It's not been cancelled and it's now at the point it's too far along for them to cancel it feasibly (it's a little over half-way done right now)." I would figure they wouldn't cancel it after the big announcement they did with a couple years back. Nothing out of the ordinary here, ideas and early development have been scrapped before with capcom. Some are predicting we might see something on re2 remake on the anniversary of the RE2 game or possibly E3. It's still happening we just probably won't see anything for a good while.
September 20, 2017 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Thanks REChic. So the status is pretty much what I expected as I have said numerous times people need to just be paitent and let Capcom take their time with it. I am guessing the internal conflict was wether to make it horror or action. I am absolutley fine with whatever happens, if it gets cancelled I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest, if it's a complete disaster then that's pretty much what I expect and if it is a huge success and lets be honest shockingly good then of course that would be a nice suprise so its a win, win....win for me.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

But it's non-canon, you can't be caught reading that!

September 20, 2017 at 7:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert Wesker 187

It is a win win for me also because at least I know Capcom is working on a Resident Evil 2 remake like I suspected and I am just going to keep being patient like I always have been with Capcom and I am looking forward to when a trailer or more news comes out about Resident Evil 2 remake. Excellent find and excellent information ResiEvilChic99 well done thank you for sharing with everybody especially for all those who were not sure a remake of resident evil 2 was going to happen and for all those like me who were optimistic that a Resident Evil 2 remake was in the works already thank you very much very well done.

--

"The only thing that can defeat power is more power. That is the one constant in this universe. However, there is no point in power if it consumes itself. I will enlist the help of an old friend against our common foe; I will use one pawn to eliminate the other, and emerge with the spoils for myself... "

September 20, 2017 at 11:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

You're welcome guys! Albert Wesker 187, you are right on being patient and that's what the fans need to be right now with this. I rather they ditch something if they are not feeling it is up to standards and redo it to make it better. I know the waiting part sucks but development takes time and this is a remake of one Capcom's biggest titles. In the meantime, we got Not a Hero and End of Zoe DLCs to look forward to this Christmas and maybe we'll get info on a possible Revelations 3 or another RE project to kill some time before we get updated info on RE2 Remake down the line.

September 21, 2017 at 5:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.