CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Umbrella Corps

BSAArklay
Administrator

I saw this news a week or so ago but it was very little information, barley a sentence. BloodyDisgusting has posted a new article on it with abit more information but still nothing solid to go on. Anyway the link is here.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3354905/resident-evil-umbrella-corps-confirmed-still-official-yet/

Could this be a new Resident Evil game? A spin off maybe. Even a new card game or something similar. When I saw the title it got me thinking about something I heard a long time ago about perhaps a mini game where the player is in control of Umbrella and has to manage the company, covering up outbreaks and manufacturing BOWs. Basically running Umbrella. Could this be a mobile phone app game of similar elements? The potential is exciting as well as scary. Lets hope this is something positive and not a sequel to Operation Racoon City. Anyway has anyone heard anything else or have any thoughts to share?

July 28, 2015 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

I Want it to be a sequel to Operation Raccoon City!! ORC was great fun and I actually love the characters and environments. Other then that I'll be happy with anything but a Umbrella sim game.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

July 28, 2015 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

It could just be Capcom making sure that they own the trademark for merchandise. Or even they have plans for Resident Evil 7 to reincorparate Umbrella into the storyline.

We are complete opposite in regards of ORC and an app game then. I would love to see something like Outbreak which is what ORC should have been but I dont think it will be that because ORC in my opinion was a failure. It might have managed to get acceptable sales but in terms of critic and fan response I dont think a sequel would sell as well and Capcom surley realise that.

July 28, 2015 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WiskUK

With news now of the RE2make, could this be linked to it? If so, is it a foreboding sign that the remaster build will be in the same design of ORC?

--

Take the Green Herb?

August 17, 2015 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

Wanted a sequel to ORC not this! It looks fun but I'm not big on multiplayer games....

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

September 15, 2015 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Ergh. I have nothing positive to say so whats the point. Not interested, not buying.

September 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

16 seconds in, "A Fast-Paced, Competitive Team Shooter". I don't think I have ever been so quickly let down by a simple trailer before. Came complete with a bad, generic techno music too ( not sure if that was Techno, I have been hearing that type of music in many games lately).

September 15, 2015 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Exactly. I watched that thing first thing in the morning thanks to Albert Wesker 187 for tagging me. You ruined my day Albert Wesker 187. Hope you're happy.

September 15, 2015 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

... Piss

September 16, 2015 at 2:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

BSAArklay at September 15, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Exactly. I watched that thing first thing in the morning thanks to Albert Wesker 187 for tagging me. You ruined my day Albert Wesker 187. Hope you're happy.

ditto

Quote Survivalist: "Piss"

ditto

September 16, 2015 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

Capcom really failed on this one, seems like all the game companies are follow the path of CoD and I was tagged by Albert Wesker 187 too, it was so annoying seeing how it plays out and Capcom certainly doesn't care about how it is coming along, they think we want this. There may be a few fans who want it, but it should have been thought out better.

I'll still get it since it's part of the RE collection I have. Regardless if it the game sucks, I still get it.

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

September 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

So I know no one may really care but did anyone see the live action trailer? It was shot in Biohazard The Real set and Biohazard The Escape set. None of the soldiers on ethier team appear to be with Umbrella. One of the had a BSAA logo on his chest. Also, the Japanese site mentions that Umbrella collapsed in 2003 and the game takes place in 2015 where people are fighting over the leftovers. Assuming my tablet translated any of that correctly, I'd like to think some of these Soldiers work with "The Organization", "The Family" or maybe "The 3rd Organization"(does that still exist?) This game may have something of interest to add to the canon, hopefully it comes to the Xbox one so I can actually look into it.

--

September 21, 2015 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/where-does-umbrella-corps-fit-in-the-resident-evil/1100-6430745/ It's Canon!!!!

Masachika Kawata "The game is not a hypothetical, "what-if" side scenario. Umbrella Corps is set in the present day of Resident Evil, which means it's after the events of Resident Evil 6. It's almost in an ironic way that we're using the title Umbrella Corps. If you know your Resident Evil lore, Umbrella no longer exists at this time in the universe; it's been destroyed. There's definitely a kind of a background of the Resident Evil universe that forms the basis of the game's premise."

--

September 22, 2015 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

I'm calling bullshit on that.

--

September 22, 2015 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

This is myself, Oracle Dragon and USS Command's conversation about the game. Thought it was worth posting here as it has alot of information thanks to USS and also our thoughts on the news. Plus I thought the ending was just to funny I had to share it with the site.

USS Command

Masachika Kawata "The game is not a hypothetical, "what-if" side scenario. Umbrella Corps is set in the present day of Resident Evil, which means it's after the events of Resident Evil 6. It's almost in an ironic way that we're using the title Umbrella Corps. If you know your Resident Evil lore, Umbrella no longer exists at this time in the universe; it's been destroyed. There's definitely a kind of a background of the Resident Evil universe that forms the basis of the game's premise."

USS Command

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/where-does-umbrella-corps-fit-in-the-resident-evil/1100-6430745/

CrimsonElder

That doesn't even make any sense

USS Command

James Vance: Umbrella Corps is, basically, an ironic title. The premise is that Umbrella Corporation, they were the lead corporation in the world of Resident Evil; they had the most advanced technology and most advanced bio weapons and things like that.

After their fall, there are a multitude of other organizations that are trying to get their hands on that research, or that information, to become the next Umbrella. The mercenaries are hired by these corporations--often times not in a forward-facing manner, it's all behind the scenes--to go into these areas where some kind of biological terror incident may have occurred to try to extract something with value. In that regard, these areas will tie into the Resident Evil universe quite strongly, and there's many things that you'll see there, that we can't reveal at this time, that have strong Resident Evil hooks.

One thing that I'd add about the zombies is that they pose a kind of unpredictable element to the game. If you shoot them, they recognize you as a threat. You can do that on purpose if you want to get one as a shield. But more often that will happen without it being your intent because they're in the midst of a firefight. Rather than a standard, straight-up military action game where it's just you versus the other players, there's this unpredictable element of the zombies in there which I think because it's the Resident Evil universe, it's a very a very unique proposal that we can add into the mix.

Oracle Dragon

It's like with Gaiden (?), it's a non-canon game that takes place in another universe of Resident Evil. Many fans get confused sometimes when they introduce a game that isn't linked to the main RE universe but the other What-If universe.

USS Command

Nope they are acknowledging it from the article

Oracle Dragon

Canon or non-canon

USS Command

Bassicly it takes place after RE6. Hopefully RE7 will expand on the events. canon

Oracle Dragon

Oh jeez

Oracle Dargon

They might as well make Gaiden canon while at it and have Leon change into a monster during a boss fight.

USS Command

I'm not seeing the problem with this being canon honestly

CrimsonElder

Bullshit. Wow this series is dead. So basically what he was trying to say is company's are trying to collect data and viruses to become the next umbrella.

USS Command

This isn't the first time this happened but yeah

USS Command

The organization that held HCF was trying to do the same thing but Wesker bleed their resources dry looking for Spencer

CrimsonElder

Unless they use it to set up the next big company in re7 this game is pointless

Oracle Dragon

They could have done a different route than a shooter, not everyone in the West likes shooters.

USS Command

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping Andrew. From what I've seen in the office be action trailer there are two distant logos being used, oddly one of the teams had the BSAA logo on it.

Oracle Dragon

BSAA, now that's a strange thing to be seeing consider what their main purposes were meant for.

USS Command

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe this could tie in with people like M. Suzuki, and Jessica

USS Command

However I do wish this game wouldve been more like splinter cell

Oracle Dragon

They better have the game have a story and not just a run around shoot as many people as possible game. It'd be like Titan Fall, no story.

USS Command

Sadly it's gonna be like titan fallIs there a story campaign, or is Umbrella Corps completely multiplayer focused?

JV: There's no forward-facing story.

USS Command

So bassicly its they made a story for why you fight and say fight

Oracle Dragon

Lame.

Oracle Dragon

I'll still get the game for my RE collection but they need to fall back to basics.

Oracle Dragon

or read RESS

CrimsonElder

This cud go two ways. This spin off sets up re7 with a new umbrella releasing an outbreak for data with a new cast of characters and they cud go the survival horror route or this cud be nothing to do with re7 and it just sits on its own. Choice seems obvious to me.

USS Command

Well atleast they are doing it smart "MK: We're not looking to focus on microtransactions with this title. There will be additional free DLC--for example, a few additional maps and so forth--that will help revitalize the player base as time goes on. But it's not something where we're going to try and make the main source of revenue be constantly expanding extra content over a long period of time or anything like that.

For the same reason, the price of the game isn't going to be a full-price title--we want to be able to get people to have it be a no-brainer, so to speak. An easy to pick up and purchase title that they can go out and enjoy straight away without having to worry too much about it."

USS Command

PS4 and PC only so I'm out fuck

USS Command

Well hopefully they'll mod this to hell and back!

CrimsonElder

Il get it for my collection but il buy second hand not to increase sales and il wait til its cheap.

CrimsonElder

Not on xbox?

USS Command

Nope just PC and PS4_with no plans to do other wise

USS Command

They ended the arrival with this however

Resident Evil still means survival horror to most people, but it's also a brand that has evolved over time. It's been around for 20 years, and over that time it's seen a variety of spin-off and side titles. We think it's important to have a variety of experiences within that single brand.

I think some people might have been surprised that we came out with a third-person shooter like this. But creating experiences that branch out from the core, mainline franchise has always been part of the Resident Evil series. Of course, if people are looking forward to games that are more back on the main track that we've released so far, we've got stuff in the pipeline in that direction too. We've got a nice selection of experiences that can suit most players.

USS Command

And with that, I think back to what Tsukasa Takenaka said when asked if more HD games would be made.

Yes! We'll be looking to see the performance of Resident Evil 0 Remastered as an indicator for what fans want and what they expect from us. So certainly, we'll be looking at it as an indicator of how we should proceed.

CrimsonElder

Trying to over saturate and milk it for every penny. Gud call that wont drain the series now will it. Isnt xbox more know for their fps?

USS Command

Yeah, We usually get more shooters.

USS Command

Well I for one can't wait to buy Code Veronica HDHD

CrimsonElder

So the sales of the series are boosted by survival horror games and their answer is to give us a brand new action shooter. Makes sense.

USS Command

I actually have detailed transcriptions of the boardroom meeting that took place during the planning phase of this game. I'll post it below for all to see.

Capcom executive: (snorts long line of coke) "Well Alone in the Dark, and F.E.A.R. made competitive multiplayer shooters out of their franchises, and those turned out GREAT! Let's do that."

2nd exec: (injects heroin into arm) "Sir, we already tried that, remember Operation Raccoon City?"

1st exec: (wiping nose) "Oh that's right....(snorts another line) Ok, how about this time, we strip out anything that made ORC even remotely interesting for fans, and focus strictly on no-name soldiers shooting the crap out of each other?"

2nd exec: (leaning back) "Tap into that Call of Duty market?"

1st exec: (twitching excitedly) "Exactly!"

2nd exec: (in a daze) "What about the zombies?"

1st exec: (sits up, eyes twitching crazily) "The what now?"

2nd exec: (closing eyes and drifting off) "The zombies... We can't technically call it Resident Evil if we don't have zombies or monsters or whatever in the game."

1st exec: (snorts one long final line, and wipes bloody nose on sleeve) "Eh, just throw some random zombies in the maps with the players. Kids like that MOBA bullshit nowadays right?"

2nd exec: "Mhmm.."

1st exec: "Also, dubstep! Make sure the trailer has lots of dubstep! That's still hip right?"

2nd exec: (dreamily) "Yea, I think so..."

1st exec: "Perfect! There's absolutely no way this can fail!"

September 22, 2015 at 12:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Thanks CrimsonElder for posting that conversation, it was a fun read. I also have no idea who James Vance is but his description of the game was cringeworthy to say the least. I have no idea what he was trying to say with shooting a zombie, and then the zombie gets attracted to you and how it will add an unpredictable element to the fights. That made no damn sense. Usually my first thought before squeezing a trigger to shoot a unalerted zombie is that it WILL come after me, it's expected.

September 22, 2015 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

No worries SE thanks for checking it out. I thought USS posted some really interesting information that I was unaware of. Havent really been following the news but it was all new to me. I think that mockof the Capcom executives at the end pretty much sums up how Capcom really are maybe less Class A drugs but apart from that bang on. I have zero faith in them from here on out. Between Capcom and Konami I am really suspicious of any Japanese developers now. They seem to make silly decisions both of them.

September 22, 2015 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

Wow.

Anyway, Batman, I really would like the opportunity to talk to you and pick your brain about RE facts. There are some things I am trying to work out and you would be the guy to ask. So if you have some time, ya know, PM or whatever. I would appreciate it. 

September 25, 2015 at 8:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

CC,

Sure, go for it. Anytime.

September 25, 2015 at 9:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

TheBatMan at September 24, 2015 at 12:03 PM

BSAArklay at September 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Ergh. I have nothing positive to say so whats the point. Not interested, not buying.

First you say this then a few posts later you'll say you'll still get it for your collection.

-That right there is why Capcom make games like this. They're not stupid, they know exactly what they are doing. That little quote they made about 'canon' will have just increased this game's sales tenfold. 

I'm exactly the same, I have a mint Biohazard Gaiden too, which is one of my favourite Resident Evil collectables, and the Collector's Edition of Biohazard Operation Raccoon City which came with a beautiful concept art book; I despise Operation Raccoon City and all that it stands for. But my RE collection is a seperate expression of my RE passion than my desire for what I want in the actual gameplay. I'm a sucker for a concept art book and OST so if Umbrella Corps has a collector's edition I'll be all over it, just for my collection though.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

September 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.