CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > In search of a villain

Xarls

Hi everyone! I know I haven´t been around for a while, I got a job, moved to another city, had to organise my new home...a lot of changes in a very short time. But that didn´t mean I wasn´t thinking about the site and the small contribution I can make for it, and there has been something in my mind for quite some time: Did Capcom kill Albert Wesker too soon?

Wesker's shadow has proved to be very very long: Since his death we have seen a Junior Wesker (good guy) and the she-Wesker (Alex), sometimes I think Capcom regrets killing one of the most inconic villains of video games history. In my opinion they are really struggling to find a new real villain:

• "The Family" RE6
  • Lansdale? RE.REV
  • Alex: RE:REV2

Of those 3 villains in 3 games the only one that was really convinving and has potential for future installments is, in m oppinion, Alex Wesker. But... Do we really need another Wesker? Should Resident Evil bury the surname and move along? It seems Albert's death serverely crippled Capcom's creativity and, as much as I loved the original Wesker as a villain, I think it's time to part ways with the surname. On the other hand, we now have Alex, a really good villain which is not physically superior to its enemies, and that opens many possibilities.

What do you think? Should we stick with the Weskers like Castlevania with Dracula? Or move on to a new villain?

--

The DEADPOOLEST Crimson Head Elder resident

June 30, 2015 at 9:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

I'm hoping they do away with the villain's in the Biohazard franchise altogether, just like there can be only so many accidental outbreaks before it gets ridiculous the same is true for Bioterrorist. I just want to see some sort of end game/story at this point to finally wrap things up. At this point the series will turn out as disjointed as the James Bond series ( I love James Bond just don't want that type of style for Biohazard). So many incidents and people, it just needs more focus. I would have loved to see Alex return again though, she was surprisingly unique and fresh for me.

June 30, 2015 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

I'd love to see a new villain introduced into the series, but at this point, they only way they could do it is if the villain is extremely compelling right from the start. I don't think the series has enough titles left if they truly want to build a story anymore, because gamers these days don't really seem to like that, even if we fans do. Sales will suffer if the villain isn't amazing straight away. Whether or not they decide to tie this villain into the past games, that's up to them. I wouldn't mind a member of the Family, so long as this villain holds their own right from the get-go.

June 30, 2015 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

I have the perfect villian to take over where Wesker left off, but Capcom won't play with me. It is someone new, but with OLD ties.

George Trevor may have a clue. I've talked to him about it. If he remembers.

On the other hand, I may be completely out of my league and wrong. So never mind.

July 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Capcom had their chance with this after RE5 and chose not to do so. The amount of media and titles that have been released since 5 in early 2009 has been more than enough to craft a new, long-standing storyline. Sadly, it's just been a succession of James Bond adventures forcefully linked together with the odd nugget of fan service. It's too late now to start a new recurring storyline, the series just doesn't have the legs anymore.

The same goes for concluding things. If Capcom were to announce that RE7 was to be the final game in the series - how could they possibly conclude it in a satisfying way? There's no recurring threat, no lingering plots aside from Ada and no cliffhangers. People clamering for the return of Billy (why?) and Hunk as a possible villain (again, what would be his motive? He's just a merc), sum up how desperate things are.

The story is broken and unfixable at this point. 

July 1, 2015 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

As much as I hate to say it, I think I have to agree with the previous post. The Resident Evil universe has become saturated with characters and organizations; it has been spread too thin and doesn't really hold together anymore. Drawing a line under a series which has become such a mess is pretty much meaningless now, since I don't care about the majority of the characters who have featured over the last several years. I can perhaps see them using Alex / Natalia again, although I'm not fond of the idea.

I think there is potential scope for Capcom to flesh out Raccoon City somehow, since I feel this environment could possibly accommodate a low-key storyline which perhaps uses characters from RE2 and RE3 who had a more subsiduary role. I'm certain this won't happen though, since ORC was such a monumental failure.

July 1, 2015 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

Sorry for long post.

In the origin of RE5, the original plot to it, and I have seen and read about it, Albert Wesker never died in it because it involved zombies and dealing with another Tyrant. Because Capcom scrapping the idea (I'm guessing after the 'RE5 is racist!' issue from a trailer or something) they changed it to involve the RE5 we have today and included Sheva so to not appear 'racist' but seriously, they need to ignore those people.

There had been speculation that one of the RE5 producers or staff members leaking out that Wesker didn't really die in the volcano but became seriously injured and survived. But many dismiss that as a false lead due to fans demanding that Wesker return.

With RE6 bringing forth suddenly a Wesker child, we were informed that Capcom did this according to their mysterious 'fan base' suggestion page that said they wanted Wesker to have a child that would be in tie with Sherry Birkin since many people were pairing Birkin and Wesker together. They had to please their fans sexual fandoms.

Trust me, I knew about these things from reading about it way before RE6 was even made and a ton of people that are fans of R.E.S.S. even claim that Capcom stole the idea of a Wesker son from me due to the high popularity my story had, and Capcom surfing the web for an interesting pawn to base off and change it to a unique fitting.

Anywho, Capcom has only a few things to do to renew itself from having done a lot of damage to the series, they could bring back the only dark and living antagonist Nicholai or they can do remakes of 5, it's hard to say what they'll do but they're learning that the fans are desiring so much to have SURVIVAL HORROR instead of a C.o.D. style game that has little information, story or anything interesting to boot.

If they were to bring forth new villians, they would have to tie them in with how things are going through the series, if they bring forth another Wesker, they have a lot to explain on how this ties in with the other ones. If they were to bring Dr. Wesker, the one who ran the Wesker Child program in Umbrella, it would be giving us more information. I asked TheBatMan if there was any information and all we have is a name, what Dr. Wesker did and that was about it considering there was hardly any information about it. It's hard to say if Dr. Wesker is still alive or not but I have a feeling he possibly passed on, but since there's hardly any info, there could be chances he had his own family that could be out there.

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

July 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

I had a animator look at the RE5 volcano scene. She has never worked on the games, but she does a lot of work for Disney. She noticed that the lava wasn't melting Wesker. He was NOT going down. Even if a fragment of Wesker survived Birkin's Memo on the virus he gave Wesker stated that even if a single cell remained it would rebuild the organism and reanimate it. So there is a "posssible" loop hole.

All I want answered really is who has Ada been working for. And then it pretty much finishes the series for me. If nothing else.

July 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

This will sound very selfish of me but I'm just sharing my views on fixing the story for myself so hopefully no harm done( It's also never going to happen).1. Hire back Yasuhisa Kawamura. 2. Have Capcom officially discredit everything from Bio 4 onwards. 3. Pick right back off with 3.5(which would be 4 now). Would be great also if Noboru Sugimura was still alive. It's hard for me to say if this would be welcomed by the majority or would it create more problems since there is so much established lore coming from Bio 4 onwards at this point. At an earlier point years ago maybe it could of been acceptable but now I suppose it would just be insane.

July 4, 2015 at 6:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

So, you essentially want a half-reboot. Are you counting in-universe RE4 onward, or literal RE4 onward, so things like the Chronicles games would be omitted?

July 4, 2015 at 8:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Bandage131 at July 4, 2015 at 8:32 PM

So, you essentially want a half-reboot. Are you counting in-universe RE4 onward, or literal RE4 onward, so things like the Chronicles games would be omitted?

Zero through Code Veronica, both Oubreaks and Gun Survivor 1,2, and 4 are kept. The rest would be discredited.

July 5, 2015 at 1:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leon Scottfield

This might sound weird but I think Ada could be a great villain. Of course that idea was ruined by Carla... 

Natalia is all that's left at least she already has a connection with some characters

--

...She's like a part of me I can't let go, lets just leave it at that...

July 5, 2015 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

CC at July 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM

I have the perfect villian to take over where Wesker left off, but Capcom won't play with me. It is someone new, but with OLD ties.

On the other hand, I may be completely out of my league and wrong. So never mind.

Can I safely assume that you are talking about Christine Henry or is that just my desperation (of wanting to see/hear from her again) talking?

July 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

SamuraiEdge at July 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM

CC at July 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Can I safely assume that you are talking about Christine Henry or is that just my desperation (of wanting to see/hear from her again) talking?

Desperation. Sorry.

July 5, 2015 at 8:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Leon Scottfield at July 5, 2015 at 9:47 AM

This might sound weird but I think Ada could be a great villain. Of course that idea was ruined by Carla... 

Natalia is all that's left at least she already has a connection with some characters

This is what I was waiting for after the ending of Resident Evil 4 almost saved that game for me. Ada was finally showing some direction in the vague clandestine world that Capcom had placed her in. We never really knew where her true loyalties were even when we knew exactly who she was working for. I truly expected Resident Evil 5 to be all about Ada, as the female Black Widow, standing tall among the men like she did when she intellectually slapped down Krauser and stood up to him, mocking any suggestion that he could physically intimidate her. Imagine Ada in place of Wesker, cool and cold, rather than hot and bothered like poor old Albert, who became a cartoonish joke with his unbelievable decision making at the end of Resident Evil, and just continued down that ridiculous path until his comically desperate end in Resident Evil 5. Ada would have been a braver choice, but one which would have provided a stinging narrative of twists & turns for a much more interesting protagonist in Leon, as compared to the dullard Capcom turned Chris into for Resident Evil 5.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

July 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Leon Scottfield

George Trevor at July 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Leon Scottfield at July 5, 2015 at 9:47 AM

This is what I was waiting for after the ending of Resident Evil 4 almost saved that game for me. Ada was finally showing some direction in the vague clandestine world that Capcom had placed her in. We never really knew where her true loyalties were even when we knew exactly who she was working for. I truly expected Resident Evil 5 to be all about Ada, as the female Black Widow, standing tall among the men like she did when she intellectually slapped down Krauser and stood up to him, mocking any suggestion that he could physically intimidate her. Imagine Ada in place of Wesker, cool and cold, rather than hot and bothered like poor old Albert, who became a cartoonish joke with his unbelievable decision making at the end of Resident Evil, and just continued down that ridiculous path until his comically desperate end in Resident Evil 5. Ada would have been a braver choice, but one which would have provided a stinging narrative of twists & turns for a much more interesting protagonist in Leon, as compared to the dullard Capcom turned Chris into for Resident Evil 5.

Great post I agree. This makes me think rebooting the series might be a good idea... 

--

...She's like a part of me I can't let go, lets just leave it at that...

July 12, 2015 at 6:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

TheOracleDragon at July 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Sorry for long post.

In the origin of RE5, the original plot to it, and I have seen and read about it, Albert Wesker never died in it because it involved zombies and dealing with another Tyrant. Because Capcom scrapping the idea (I'm guessing after the 'RE5 is racist!' issue from a trailer or something) they changed it to involve the RE5 we have today and included Sheva so to not appear 'racist' but seriously, they need to ignore those people.

There had been speculation that one of the RE5 producers or staff members leaking out that Wesker didn't really die in the volcano but became seriously injured and survived. But many dismiss that as a false lead due to fans demanding that Wesker return.

With RE6 bringing forth suddenly a Wesker child, we were informed that Capcom did this according to their mysterious 'fan base' suggestion page that said they wanted Wesker to have a child that would be in tie with Sherry Birkin since many people were pairing Birkin and Wesker together. They had to please their fans sexual fandoms.

Trust me, I knew about these things from reading about it way before RE6 was even made and a ton of people that are fans of R.E.S.S. even claim that Capcom stole the idea of a Wesker son from me due to the high popularity my story had, and Capcom surfing the web for an interesting pawn to base off and change it to a unique fitting.

Anywho, Capcom has only a few things to do to renew itself from having done a lot of damage to the series, they could bring back the only dark and living antagonist Nicholai or they can do remakes of 5, it's hard to say what they'll do but they're learning that the fans are desiring so much to have SURVIVAL HORROR instead of a C.o.D. style game that has little information, story or anything interesting to boot.

If they were to bring forth new villians, they would have to tie them in with how things are going through the series, if they bring forth another Wesker, they have a lot to explain on how this ties in with the other ones. If they were to bring Dr. Wesker, the one who ran the Wesker Child program in Umbrella, it would be giving us more information. I asked TheBatMan if there was any information and all we have is a name, what Dr. Wesker did and that was about it considering there was hardly any information about it. It's hard to say if Dr. Wesker is still alive or not but I have a feeling he possibly passed on, but since there's hardly any info, there could be chances he had his own family that could be out there.

Mysterious fan base is right b/c I and a lot of other ppl weren't on board for Wesker having a son. The whole Wesker and Birkin thing, didn't ask for that either. IMO Jake and Sherry felt a bit forced. RE5 had it set up with The Wesker Children. So 6 ignored that and gave us Simmons and Carla instead.REV 2 gave us Alex Wesker. Really 6 should of used her.
July 12, 2015 at 7:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.