CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > RESIDENTS FILES > When I'm not playing RE

SamuraiEdge

I'm just curious what other games people on this site play. I'm mostly interested in the Survival Horror genre but feel free to add games from others aswell. The goal in mind is to hopefully get some people interested in other obscure masterpieces that someone including myself might of overlooked. I'll start by listing the Survival Horror games I own/played, keep in mind some of these might also be hybrids of other genres aswell but I will include them based on the fact that they have elements important to the genre.

1. All Biohazard games
  2. All Silent Hill games
  3. All Fatal Frame games
  4. Siren, Forbidden Siren 2
  5. Kuon
  6. Haunting Ground
  7. Rule of Rose
  8. Parasite Eve 1 and 2
  9. Echo Night 1,2,and beyond
  10. Dino Crisis 1,2,3
  11. Koudelka
  12. Alone in the Dark The New Nightmare & One Eyed Jacks Revenge
  13. Call of Cthulhu Dark corners of the earth
  14. Clock tower SNES, Clock Tower PS1, 2, & Clock Tower 3
  15. D PS1
  16. D2 Dreamcast
  17. Obscure 1 and 2
  18. Eternal Darkness
  19. Enemy Zero
  20. Hellnight PS1
  21. Carrier
  22. Illbleed
  23. Fear Effect 1 and 2
  24. Martian Gothic Unification
  25. Blue Stinger

Other games I play that I love are the Onimusha Saga, the CORE Tomb Raiders 1-5 and Angel of Darkness, Valkyrie Profile, Shadow Tower/Shadow Tower Abyss, and Kings Field 1,2,3, and Ancient City.

June 9, 2015 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

I'm a major Metal Gear player and make no apologies for it. There was a time, many many years ago, that Metal Gear was more important to me than Resident Evil, but that time has come and passed.

On top of that, I play Half-Life every now and again, Left 4 Dead 2, Grand Theft Auto, Lego Star Wars, etc. I have many varied interests.

June 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Bandage131 at June 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM

I'm a major Metal Gear player and make no apologies for it. There was a time, many many years ago, that Metal Gear was more important to me than Resident Evil, but that time has come and passed.

On top of that, I play Half-Life every now and again, Left 4 Dead 2, Grand Theft Auto, Lego Star Wars, etc. I have many varied interests.

Have you played MGS3 Subsistence online back on PS2? That and both Biohazard Outbreak games were the only online experience I loved, I really miss them. I hoped for awhile now that Kojima would do a Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake Remake since once I got the chance to play it, it became my favorite in the franchise. I'm pretty sure I am in the minority with that one though.

June 10, 2015 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

No, I never had online back then, save for horrible dial-up. I bought Subsistence solely for Metal Gear 1 & 2, because my MSX2 emulator was crap and didn't work. Metal Gear 2 is among my favorites in the series, as well. We'll never see a remake of it, but the MSX2 version is amazing anyway.

June 10, 2015 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Dying Light

Alien Resurrection

Outlast

Slenderman

Last of us

Dead Space Trilogy

Dead Island

Fear 2

Silent Hill HD Collection

Deadly Premonition

Cursed Mountain

Manhunt 2

Alone in the dark

Shadow man

Evil Dead hail to the king

Eternal Darkness

Extermination

Clock Tower 3

Obscure

Haunting Ground

Project Zero

Silent Hill 4

The Thing

Alan Wake

Alan Wake American Nightmare

Non survival horror: Fahrenheit, Star Wars Battlefront 1+2, Bully, Metal Gear 2, The warriors, GTA  whole collection, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Battlefield 4, Lost, Guitar Hero, Skate 2, Fallout 3+NV, Tomb Raider, Cod Black Ops (For zombies), La Noire, Red Dead, Uncharted trilogy, Heavy Rain, Beyond and Elder Scrolls Online.

Thats all the games I own, I rent games through a monthly subscription though which is great and have played pretty much everything in the last few years with a few exceptions. Such as indie, sports, driving and the odd game which I dont fancy. Saved so much money like this its insane, I recomend renting with a subscription to any above average gamer.

June 11, 2015 at 10:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

Oh, lord, if I were to list all of my games... I have over 200. My interests are ridiculously varied.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is an awesome game.

June 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Yeah looking forward to the new game just hope its more of the same because they dont need to change anything Battlefront 2 was amazing. I hear there is no story mode and Battlefront 2 did have a story mode (Kind of) so thats not a good start. I also have a feeling that DLC and ingame purchases will play a key part. Similar to Destiny and how players who spend more money on the game will have a better time. Also havent heard anything about being able to play as main characters. Like the previous games you could select a key character every level such as Luke or Anakin. I hope this is still available and you dont have to have a butt load of in game points just to unlock them.

June 11, 2015 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ray Redfield

Hmm.. not sure if I even want to post the other games that I play because some may consider them to be childish, since you guys seem to play games with a lot of action going on. And here I am playing from the most horrific horror games to the most innocent strategy games. But I will participate in this forum anyway.

1. Resident Evil of course ( Resident Evil2, 3, 4, Dead Aim, Remake, Outbreak File 1 and 2 )

2. Silent Hill ( Silent Hill 3, 4, Origins, Homecoming, Shattered Memories )

3. Fatal Frame 1,2,3

4. Final Fantasy X,X-2,XII,Tactics, Disidia, Crisis Core

5. Kingdom Hearts 2, Chain of Memories

6. Valkyrie Profile 2

7. Radiata Stories

8. GTA San Andreas ( just to shoot some random people )

9. Forbidden Siren 2

10. Slenderman

11. Amnesia

..... Then it gets real cute.

12. Harvest Moon ( Save the Homeland, A Wonderful Life, Friends of Mineral Town, Tale of Two Towns, Tree of Tranquility )

13. Rune Factory Frontier

14. The Sims 1,2 and 3

15. Spyro Adventure

16. Warcraft and Starcraft ( campaign, never the tournament )

17. Crash Bandicoot 

18. Time Crisis 1-3 

19. House of the Dead 1-4

Hmmm I guess that's it... ? :roll:

--

Fantasy is I am a wingless angel made in heaven. Reality is I am a human born in the beautiful land of the mysterious missing flights.

June 11, 2015 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

Why is there a gap between Final Fantasy 3 and 10? Why not 4 through 9?

I still play Crash Bandicoot 1 & 2 every now and again, and I play The Sims 4 often. Mainly because my laptop wouldn't let me install The Sims 3. I don't entirely understand how Time Crisis and House of the Dead qualify as "cute", but...

June 11, 2015 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

I completely forgot about Extermination Crimson Head Elder, thanks for reminding me. I meant to get it awhile back but it slowly slipped my mind. I just ordered it from ebay finally.

I played many Survival Horror games from the PS3/360 gen but did not mention any of them since they sadly did not do much for me. The only one which did which I did not list was Condemned Criminal origins, fantastic game.

June 11, 2015 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Great thread, thanks SamuraiEdge. I hope you don't mind I moved it from our Resident Evil Item Box section only because that is exclusively for Resident Evil collections. It seems a personal enough insight into our residents' individual tastes to merit inclusion in our Residents Files section !

I love the way Ray Redfield (Happy Birthday Siti) splits her video game collection into the real cute & 'non-cute' genres !! My list of games I NEED to play would be much longer, but in the very rare moments when I have both the time to play video games thesedays, and fancy a change from Resident Evil, you will find me playing ~

1. Mass Effect 1,2, and 3

2. The Elder Scrolls Oblivion & The Elder Scrolls Skyrim

3. Zelda Ocarina of Time & Zelda Majora's Mask

4. Golden Sun and Golden Sun The Lost Age (After Ocarina of Time these 3 are my favourite RPGs of all time)

5. Lost Kingdoms II

6. Chrono Trigger (Gameboy Advance)

7. Breath of Fire and Breath of Fire 2 (Gameboy Advance)

8. Final Fantasy I,II,III,IV,V,VI(Advance) : All on GameBoy Advance, NOT PlayStation consoles which I am not a fan of in the slightest.

9. METROID PRIME and the Metroid Prime Trilogy (GameCube)

10.Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission : These 2 games prove to me that the GameBoy Advance is one of the world's greatest consoles of all time for both original and ported games.

11. STAR WARS Rogue Squadron II Rogue Leader & Rogue Squadron III Rebel Strike

12. SHADOWMAN (N64)

13. LYLAT WARS (STARFOX N64)

14. Eternal Darkness

15. Skies of Arcadia (GameCube)

16. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

17. Prince of Persia Sands of Time (GameCube)

18. Castlevania games on the GameBoy Advance

19. Sensible Soccer (Sega Mega Drive II)

20. NBA JAM (Sega Mega Drive II)

21. Altered Beast (Amiga 500)

22. F/A 18 Interceptor (Amiga 500)

23. Various games on the Amstrad CPC6128 (showing my age) : Gryzor (Contra), Ikari Warriors, COVENANT, Trantor The Last Stormtrooper, ALIENS, Savage, Sacred Armour of Antiraid, CAPTAIN BLOOD, STARQUAKE, Renegade, Target Renegade, The Way of the Exploding Fist, Yie Ar Kung Fu, GAUNTLET, Football Manager, Football Manager II, Match Day II, Dan Dare Pilot of the Future, Dan Dare II Mekon's Revenge, Batman The Movie, ELITE, Chase HQ, Outrun, Jet Set Willy, 3D Starstrike, Star Wars and EXOLON (Making 8 bit games in 1987 look & play better than most games on the PS1)

Games I have yet to play but desperately want to :

Clock Tower series, Parasite Eve series, more Final Fantasy games, more Caslevania games, Bioshock series.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

June 11, 2015 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

No problem George Trevor, I was contemplating to put it in here or the Resident Evil item box and I happen to choose the latter. I hope you get the chance to play Clock Tower and Parasite Eve soon.

June 11, 2015 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

SamuraiEdge at June 11, 2015 at 4:24 PM

No problem George Trevor, I was contemplating to put it in here or the Resident Evil item box and I happen to choose the latter. I hope you get the chance to play Clock Tower and Parasite Eve soon.

Thanks, these 2 are top of my list. I knew very little about Clock Tower, it was simply a screen shot that caught my attention because of its similarity to Resident Evil, and Parasite Eve was recommended to me by Crimson Head Elder who is a resident here & regular on our podcasts. I was considering building a new section to our community Forum for other survival horror games to be reviewd, discussed & debated. If some residents in the CHE mansion think this is a welcome idea then I'll start construction immediately. I have the plans around here somewhere...

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

June 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

George Trevor at June 11, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Great thread, thanks SamuraiEdge. I hope you don't mind I moved it from our Resident Evil Item Box section only because that is exclusively for Resident Evil collections. It seems a personal enough insight into our residents' individual tastes to merit inclusion in our Residents Files section !

I love the way Ray Redfield (Happy Birthday Siti) splits her video game collection into the real cute & 'non-cute' genres !! My list of games I NEED to play would be much longer, but in the very rare moments when I have both the time to play video games thesedays, and fancy a change from Resident Evil, you will find me playing ~

1. Mass Effect 1,2, and 3

2. The Elder Scrolls Oblivion & The Elder Scrolls Skyrim

3. Zelda Ocarina of Time & Zelda Majora's Mask

4. Golden Sun and Golden Sun The Lost Age (After Ocarina of Time these 3 are my favourite RPGs of all time)

5. Lost Kingdoms II

6. Chrono Trigger (Gameboy Advance)

7. Breath of Fire and Breath of Fire 2 (Gameboy Advance)

8. Final Fantasy I,II,III,IV,V,VI(Advance) : All on GameBoy Advance, NOT PlayStation consoles which I am not a fan of in the slightest.

9. METROID PRIME and the Metroid Prime Trilogy (GameCube)

10.Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission : These 2 games prove to me that the GameBoy Advance is one of the world's greatest consoles of all time for both original and ported games.

11. STAR WARS Rogue Squadron II Rogue Leader & Rogue Squadron III Rebel Strike

12. SHADOWMAN (N64)

13. LYLAT WARS (STARFOX N64)

14. Eternal Darkness

15. Skies of Arcadia (GameCube)

16. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

17. Prince of Persia Sands of Time (GameCube)

18. Castlevania games on the GameBoy Advance

19. Sensible Soccer (Sega Mega Drive II)

20. NBA JAM (Sega Mega Drive II)

21. Altered Beast (Amiga 500)

22. F/A 18 Interceptor (Amiga 500)

23. Various games on the Amstrad CPC6128 (showing my age) : Gryzor (Contra), Ikari Warriors, COVENANT, Trantor The Last Stormtrooper, ALIENS, Savage, Sacred Armour of Antiraid, CAPTAIN BLOOD, STARQUAKE, Renegade, Target Renegade, The Way of the Exploding Fist, Yie Ar Kung Fu, GAUNTLET, Football Manager, Football Manager II, Match Day II, Dan Dare Pilot of the Future, Dan Dare II Mekon's Revenge, Batman The Movie, ELITE, Chase HQ, Outrun, Jet Set Willy, 3D Starstrike, Star Wars and EXOLON (Making 8 bit games in 1987 look & play better than most games on the PS1)

Games I have yet to play but desperately want to :

Clock Tower series, Parasite Eve series, more Final Fantasy games, more Caslevania games, Bioshock series.

But, the Final Fantasy games are pretty much the same between PS1 & GBA.

June 11, 2015 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

@ Bandage131 You're right. I often wear my N64 & GameCube tinted glasses when I think about the PS1 in particular, but I think there were minor graphics updates, particularily with lighting & colour; and it's also much more accessable for the busy man about town that I am to play RPGs on a hand-held ;)

--

June 11, 2015 at 5:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

Understandable. I think 1&2 Dawn of Souls has extra dungeons. I probably wouldn't be a Resident Evil fan if not for the PS1, so... Gray tinted glasses for me.

June 11, 2015 at 6:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

OK so here is my list!

The Elder Scrolls Series

Star Wars Battlefront 1,2, the spinoffs(wished the 3rd one didnt get canceled) and Republic Commando)

The Halo series(and I mean everything in the series)

The Silent Hill series(same as above^)

Half Life 1, Blue Shift, Decay, Opposing Force, Day One, Source, 2, EP1, EP2, Lost Coast, Portal, Portal 2 , and Black Mesa source if it counts.

Jurrasic Park games

Deadly Premonition

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

Alan Wake(its DLCs and sequel)

The Fallout series. 

That's pretty much it for the games I'm really into these days I'd list more but it be a very long list haha.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

June 12, 2015 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

USS Command at June 12, 2015 at 10:45 AM

OK so here is my list!

The Elder Scrolls Series

Star Wars Battlefront 1,2, the spinoffs(wished the 3rd one didnt get canceled) and Republic Commando)

The Halo series(and I mean everything in the series)

The Silent Hill series(same as above^)

Half Life 1, Blue Shift, Decay, Opposing Force, Day One, Source, 2, EP1, EP2, Lost Coast, Portal, Portal 2 , and Black Mesa source if it counts.

Jurrasic Park games

Deadly Premonition

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

Alan Wake(its DLCs and sequel)

The Fallout series. 

That's pretty much it for the games I'm really into these days I'd list more but it be a very long list haha.

Is there any true improvement between Half-Life and Half-Life Source? Half-Life: Day One but not Uplink? Uplink is a totally original level.

June 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

Nice topic idea. I also enjoy the following series:

Silent Hill

Bioshock

Dead Space

Dead Island (I make no apologies; I adore these)

Siren

I have found many other survival horror-type games (such as Parasite Eve, Project Zero, Fear Effect, Obscure, Eternal Darkness, Martian Gothic, and some others), to be very underwhelming. Most recently, I was blown away by the beauty and sense of place of both Alien Isolation and Dying Light. I also really enjoy the Mortal Kombat series, as well as platformer games, in particular, Mario.

June 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

Also, although many don't consider the Wii U a "proper" console (it is probably my favourite "current-gen" console, in fact), its exclusive title ZombiU, is to my mind an exceptional survival horror in the purest sense.

June 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.