CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community Site & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Canon novels debate

SkinniMini1

I was wondering, how would you all feel if Capcom allowed some new RE/BIO novels (books) to be published, novels that are actually canon to the storyline? I personally would love it bc I think they would be perfect complimentary items to go along with the games and other canon media. Also while I like some of S.D Perry's adaptations, they are not canon and it would be nice to read a RE book with events that actually mean something in the grand scheme of things. Plus they can be used to give certain characters and smaller plot points some growth, growth they most likely wouldn't get the chance to gain in the games. Most of all I just want to see it bc I like reading. So what about you all?

April 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

As much as I want more Resident Evil novels (I still enjoy reading the SD Perry novels occasionally), if Capcom were to release canon novels, they'd end up being ignored by the games in much the same way canon mangas like Marhawa Desire are, or even the way some games, like the Outbreaks or Dead Aim, are generally ignored.

April 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1
I really like Marhawa Desire so far, more than I thought I would actually. This website has it translated, so I just decided to give it a shot. Anyway, I get what your saying. Marhawa Desire did bring about a few important details that was used in RE6, but it could have been used a bit more. However it would still be cool to have them bc something from them would most likely show up in the games at some point, be it big or small.
April 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

I'm not saying it would be a bad thing, just that, sadly, it would be ignored. Marhawa Desire isn't a bad manga (it fills my Highschool of the Dead hiatus hole very well, as a matter of fact), but RE6 ignored it, basically only bringing it up in one file, which only people who like collectibles would go for, since Capcom's brilliant decision (sarcasm) not to include them in the game proper.

I would love canon novels, and more manga like Marhawa Desire, but Capcom loves to ignore anything that didn't come from the main games. Hell, the translators actually had to add a reference to Code Veronica into Revelations 2, as opposed to there already being one just from the fact that the situations are so similar.

April 6, 2015 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

I have been unfairly antagonistic towards S.D.Perry's novels in the past simply because of the canon issue, with particular annoyance at her inclusion of additional characters.

I would like to read some straight up direct adaptations of the narrative gameplay, similar to The True Story Behind Biohazard that diarises George Trevor's journey through the mansion, either in a novel medium, or better still I believe, in graphic novel form. Video game gameplay translated into a written narrative that has to exactly match a canon path is best portrayed in a comic style I feel, othwerwise you have an author of a novel constrained so much by what hey can & cannot write, the creativity in their writting may be stiffled. The best direct adaptation I have read in this series are the four Hong Kong graphic novels Resident Evil Code: Veronica, publihsed by Wildstorm. Aside from the OTT Kung Fu combat with the B.O.W.s the narrative closely matches Claire & Steve's canon gameplay and it's a nice touch to find & read the game files with the characters as they find them along their journey across both the Rockfort & Antarctic bases. 

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

April 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

I loved the Umbrella Conspiracy when it first came out.

Yes, I'd love a reboot of the novels. If I were in charge the first book wouldn't even have any zombies in it and would document the origins of the Progenitor Virus, the rise of Umbrella and the demise of George Trevor.

Fun fact: some of Perry's additions are now part of official canon. Chris and Claire being orphans and Barry's wife being named Kathy were first alluded to only in these novels, but are now immortalised in canon thanks to their respective mentions in Revelations 2.

April 6, 2015 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1

George Trevor at April 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM

I have been unfairly antagonistic towards S.D.Perry's novels in the past simply because of the canon issue, with particular annoyance at her inclusion of additional characters. From what I can gather the writing standard of the author is not too great, whether that is fair criticism, the best person I know to ask, who is a resident here, would be Neptune.

I would like to read some straight up direct adaptations of the narrative gameplay, similar to The True Story Behind Biohazard that diarises George Trevor's journey through the mansion, either in a novel medium, or better still I believe, in graphic novel form. Video game gameplay translated into a written narrative that has to exactly match a canon path is best portrayed in a comic style I feel, othwerwise you have an author of a novel constrained so much by what hey can & cannot write, the creativity in their writting may be stiffled. The best direct adaptation I have read in this series are the four Hong Kong graphic novels Resident Evil Code: Veronica, publihsed by Wildstorm. Aside from the OTT Kung Fu combat with the B.O.W.s the narrative closely matches Claire & Steve's canon gameplay and it's a nice touch to find & read the game files with the characters as they find them along their journey across both the Rockfort & Antarctic bases. 

It sounds like you would like to see comic adaptations of the canon games. I think that could be interesting bc it would be nice to see the actual way that RE1, RE2, even RE3 events played out for instance. While this could be done in a novel as well, I wouldn't mind if it was done either way. However I would really like to see new stories if we were ever to get novels personally. So maybe Capcom can do what Star Wars is doing currently and give us both novels and comics to add some new story to the overall canon plot.

April 6, 2015 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

The Perry novels are good. If you're looking for a decent alternate universe to the games, they're far superior to the Anderson films (then again, so is the shit my dog just left on my rug).

Interesting note: if you read the Keeper's Diary in the novel The Umbrella Conspiracy, it appears as though Capcom nearly word-for-word transcribed it for the version used in Remake.

April 6, 2015 at 7:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator
Just want to add my two cents on this! The Halo Franchise has TONS of Halo novels, books, comics, audio stories, and much more, all of it is EXTREMELY important to understand what is happening in the games these days. With that said I would love for capcom to do this with Resident Evil, however as others have said if capcom did all this they'd just ignore it all in the games(besides maybe one sentence) and have it only mentioned in guidebooks and or websites only in Japan because that's how they roll!
--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

April 8, 2015 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neptune

i have all the SD Perry novels and despite my need for money and my need to sell some resident evil items over the years (guidebooks etc.) these books have survived the cull. 

i have to agree with Bandage131 - the novels are good. i find the game adaptations to be a lot better than the original novels. 

But there are good points. Underworld is the closest we got to the "lets take down umbrella" vibe we get from the games although even this is fairly isolated. I enjoyed the environment rooms and battle zones in this book as it was preceisely what BOWs are for. In my view, the 5th resident evil movie has been influenced by this book as it adopts different test zones too.

and finally from a readers perspective, the unresolved mystery of Trent was good to follow in all 7 books. sadly not resolved. 

Amazingly there is a slight renasiance with the books. whereas 5 years ago you had to order off amazon, they are now freely available in most Waterstones and in Forbidden Planets complete with ther new hideous covers.

i think overall the novels should be rebooted and added to the canon. more of an effort akin to the star wars method should be adopted to include new novels of games incorperating other canon media like the CGI movies and manga comics.

--

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

"Neo Umbrella? - that's a great idea ~ the Batman

April 9, 2015 at 3:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1
If some new novels were made, what points in the timeline would you want them to cover, what plot point would you like to see get more development and which characters would you like to see star in them? I know Batman gave an interesting one in his earlier post.
April 11, 2015 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

I have to say, use novels to fill in story with the characters that haven't shown up in awhile, like Rebecca or Carlos.

April 11, 2015 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1
I know some of these would most likely NEVER be made unfortunately, but if new RE books were ever published, I'd like to see them be about some of the following things, -Wesker's partnership with Excella and Tricell pre RE5. -Jessica and/or Raymond on a assignment post Revelations. -Catching us up on some "forgotten characters" and either bringing them back into the current story arc or properly closing their story. -Sherry's life soon after being freed from her government confinement. -A point in Ada's life between RE2 and RE4 or between RE4 and RE6. -Go into detail about The Family and their role in the grand scheme of things. -Establishing another Pharmaceutical Company that's apart of the FPC/GPC, one that can play a bigger role in future titles. -Jill's life between Lost in Nightmares and RE5. -Further explore Wesker's and Birkin's aquaintance during their time as Umbrella employees. -Any story that would relate to the next canon game following it. There's more I wwould like to see, but I'll list them later.
April 23, 2015 at 12:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.