CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community Site & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Canon v Non-canon

BSAArklay
Administrator

Ok so I had some free time with nothing but my mobile, WiFi connection and a pen and paper. I have listed everything related to the series I can gather and have listed them in 3 categories. Canon, non canon and unknown. Hopefully you can help me out with something I have wrong, missed or is just in the wrong catergory. Please give your opinions even if you are unsure. So here goes.

CANON

Main series

Re0, Re1, Re2, Re3, Code: Veronica, Re4 inc. Seperate Ways & Assignment Ada, Re5 inc. LIN & Desperate Escape, Re6

Side Games

Chronicles Series, Outbreak Series (1&2), Survivor (1&2), Dead Aim, Revelations 1&2

Files, Reports and Comics

Weskers Report 1,2 & Extra, Wicked North Sea, Re3 Epilogues, The EX Files (N64 Re2), Prelude To The Fall, Ada's Report, Jessica's Report, Adam's Blog, Heavenly Island, Marhawa Desire

Films

4D Executor, Degeneration, Damnation

NON CANON

Games

Gaiden, All mobile games with possible exception of Confidential Report, Operation Raccoon City, Mercenaries

Comics and Books

SD Perry novels, Fire & Ice, Resident Evil Official Comic Wildstorm, Resident Evil Wildstorm 2 BSAA, Resident Evil 0 HK comics, Resident Evil 2 HK comics, Resident Evil 3 HK comics, Resident Evil 3 Extended comic, Code Veronica HK comics

Now here is where it gets tricky.

Unknown

Resident Evil Marvel Prequel comic. I have only heard about this comic and never actually seen it. It sounds like a decent comic and I want to get it once I see it at an affordable price. From what I have heard it sounds like it sets up nicley for RE1 and I would like to consider this canon.

Nicholai's report/letter found in Code Veronica guide. This is a Prima guide and I am not sure if they had this from Capcom or made it up? If its from Capcom it confirms Nicholai survived Re3 thus making it an important file.

True story of Biohazard or otherwise known as The Beginning or even The Book. Like the Marvel prequel comic this leads up to the events of Re1. Originally I would call this canon however since Remake was released this book contradicts the events of Remake which is now considered the true canon over RE1. Also the characters seem way off.

The next games and files I am truly clueless about and dont know a whole lot about them. So I will just list them.

Strange beast of North sea, To The Liberty, Confidential report (Neptune has a large influence in this being here), Las Plagas: Organisms Of War, Drama albums ( Only recently began reading them and am really enjoying)

So yeah that's everything. Anyone have any information would be much appriciated.

February 9, 2015 at 3:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

Well for everything related to Resident Evil 1, or rather the whole mansion incident I consider every version canon, that includes both Director's Cut and Remake, the cellphone versions, all of Umbrella Chronicals and even Biohazard Pachislot. Why? Because the events that happen are vague. We know Chris, Jill, Barry, Brad and Rebecca survive and we know who dies. However where who met up with who, who did what, who got locked up, where Richard got bit by the snake and ultimately dies is different based on who you play as and what game you're playing. Also those mobile games have files that, I believe can add to the universe (RE1 cellphone version has a anniversary card for George and his wife). The same goes with any version of RE2.

With that said I personally consider a lot of the comics to be canon. These include "S.T.A.R.S. Files" "Who are these guys?" "Dangerous Secretes" "Raccoon City - R.I.P." "Danger Island" "BSAA comics" and the Marvel Prequel comic. The reason is they have no contradiction to the overall canon universe. Dangerous Island does have one, it says G-Virus made lickers but that was a misconception back in the day when we had only two games haha. There's also other small details that I consider canon ONLY because they could work very well if they were to have been used in a game or canon game but I won't go into that here.

Some of the promotional material was really good and I consider canon the BSAA database (not the one for RE5) had these live action videos of people finding mutated caucuses washing up on the beach and a small team of BSAA members in hazmat suits cleaning them up as a tourist hides and films them (Revelations mentions people finding things like that). Also Inserted Evil had some really nice information. The ORC reviewer copy comes with a G tissue sample and a umbrella document (no clue what it says).

When Perry got the rights to do the novels Capcom gave her story notes and outlines. Those outlines mention Chris' friends from that book. So Capcom must have considered it canon at least back in those days. Anyway I consider it canon still.

With the other comics you mean the Korean(China?) ones?

Las Plagas Organisms Of War is 100% canon, it also mentions that those tyrants from Damnation were a "joint" project.

I hear that only the Fate of Raccoon City albums are canon with the others having canon elements but mostly noncanon.

To The Liberty mentions the C-Virus and has a B.O.W. outbreak in New York from my research. So it could be canon.

Strange Beast of the North Sea was one of the last stories by Flagship so I believe it's canon.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

February 9, 2015 at 11:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

I can agree with you about RE1 in terms of the overall game, Thats just how I picture it in my head. For example when I think of the Spencer Estate sometimes I picture it as it is in Remake othertimes I prefer to think of the original. Same goes for the soundtrack. However in terms of plot and story I have to go with Remake on its own because together just causes to much continuity errors. No Lisa Trevor means she wasnt involved in the G project. No crimson heads means no V-Act.

I have heard about this greeting card what game is that from because I will look into it. However the mobile games I have researched so far either do not match up with the canon or just dont relate or add anything to it.

The BSAA database is something I need to look into as well thanks for the reminder.

The Book is something I would like to consider canon however it just doesnt match up with Remake. Chris is a smoker and abit of a jerk more his original RE1 style. There is also apparentley (I need to check) a Jill and Yawn fight in the woods outside the mansion. That flat out never happened in canon so I need to read The Book again.

SD Perry novels again focus on RE1 so that would be out anyway. Also SD Perrys side storys have never been mentioned in anyway by Capcom I believe the only thing Capcom borrowed from her was the name Spencer Estate. I will quickly defend these novels however and say that the first one Umbrellas Conspiracy and Nemesis are pretty fun to read. The rest kinda sucked however.

Yeah the Korean comics from what I have seen are just carbon copys of the games however the dialogue and action sequences are even dumber than you could imagine. I havent checked them over 100% but I am sure if you did there would be continuity eras.

That Las Plagas videos really came out of the blue for me I didnt know anything about it. Just found it recently and heard it was released with Damnation.

I am enjoying the drama albums however right off the bat the first one I was reading. I think its Nick and a girl? Visit the Spencer estate after it exploded at the end of Remake and the dinning hall and mansion are explained as still being intact, a mess but intact. Watch the Remake ending where the mansion explodes and I would safley assume there isnt a single room left.

I thought these books were quite old? If To The Liberty mentions C Virus thats pretty cool. I really need to finished these up.

The link you posted I can only see two images? No comics. Thanks though man. I dont think I will ever get to see the Marvel comic. It constantly illudes me.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 9, 2015 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

OH YEAH almost completely forgot BIOHAZARD CLAN MASTER!!! Some guy on tumbler was translating ALOT of information from it and there is some interesting stuff mention in the story. Overall the story is about these scientists who made a supercomputer to test and run simulations based on past Bio outbreaks that has happened throughout the series. Which is why you can revisit location from various games. However it also has its own unique original characters(a lot of them mind you!), locations(even new location from pasted games), Viruses, and a new corporation! I can't find the tumbler anymore but I did take a lot of notes on the new characters and what not.

There's the Basilisk Virus a G-Virus modified with snake, or something similar, DNA(if I remember correctly) that creates BOWs with demon like looks. There is a sub version of the virus call the Succubus Virus that only infects women. It turns their eye color red and makes them more stronger then the normal human. The corporation, who's name is in my notes but I can't access them at the moment, had infected most of the female personal in their security forces. They also experimented on children.

Other new OCs came from the levels from Raccoon City we got new cops, detectives and so on who had a profile similar to the old stars profiles. So like one of the detectives had a story that went something along the lines of he escaped raccoon city using his trusty RPD issued gun in one hand and a kinfe in the other, he was also really good and karate. Each character had a nice little story like that but there were to make for me to get down haha. Also a simulation like this isn't new. Biohazard Rose Blank delt with some VR stuff as well. Also if To the liberty is canon then so is rose blank because they were both apart of capcom Japans grand prize to officially publish fan works.

Edit: sorry about the link not working right my computer died a while back and I'm doing all this from a tablet so it doesn't always work right. I'll get to a computer and get you the link later. Also I want to be clear on a few details I forget to mention because as I said I'm on a tablet and its hard writing on here sometimes.

When I say every version of Re1 and 2 is canon I do consider Remake the over all true canon but the original has rooms(a room that looked over the heliport) and even files not in the remake the same goes for pachislot(a security room were Wesker watches and records chris and Jill) and the cellphone version(has a area full of cells one of them is marked "George" or something). Also as for chris being jerk its still canon he got kicked out of the air force over a fight right? Also he did punch Erin from the Boy's crime department just for speeling some coffee on him.

As for RE2 the PlayStation version has a dead hunter and there are new files for the cellphone version as well. Also last time I checked the RE5 BSAA database is still around but I don't think the revelations one is sadly and I never could find those videos anywhere else. Oh and let's not forget the live action stuff for RE5 I always considered it canon however I remember reading somewhere that the speach chris is trying to read has plot holes but its not like he was in the right mind set to read it so yeah.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

February 9, 2015 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator
All great information USS which I am going to take on board research and try and fit in somewhere. I have to agree about RE but unfortunatley what I have in mind will only require one version of each game. Anything I can fit in though I will most certainly try. What was that about Chris punching someone what is that from? If you think of anything else please keep in touch nice one USS.
--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

February 9, 2015 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

http://www.crimson-head.com/apps/podcast/podcast/350211

Its from Jill's Diary, we have an audio version on the site follow the link, George's hard work mustn't fade from memory haha.

--

February 9, 2015 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

Great work but I don't agree with your distinction between canon and 'side-games'. Revelations is canon, so too is Dead Aim, Outbreak Files 1 & 2, and Survivor - you cannot put these in the same category as Survivor 2 or either Chronicles games, which are only a retelling of canon events. I also think you should categorize the comics into canon and non-canon, and you can also inlcude Prelude To The Fall into the canon group of comics.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

February 9, 2015 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

James Marcus at February 9, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Great work but I don't agree with your distinction between canon and 'side-games'. Revelations is canon, so too is Dead Aim, Outbreak Files 1 & 2, and Survivor - you cannot put these in the same category as Survivor 2 or either Chronicles games, which are only a retelling of canon events. I also think you should categorize the comics into canon and non-canon, and you can also inlcude Prelude To The Fall into the canon group of comics.

But here's the thing with that, Umbrella Chronicals is mostly being told from Wesker's point of view but we have enough new info to put it with the other games. I mean it shows us how Ada escaped raccoon, as well as a much, much better version with The fourth survivor. Not to mention every other bonus level and new file. Oh and umbrellas fall. 

Sadly Darkside don't have as much but it did allow us to hear the phone call sherry and her mother had, plus other new files, audio files and operation Javier(both Leon and jacks point of view).

Survivor 2 is but a dream Claire has after the events of code Veronica but the files expand on its story. 

Point is I believe they do add to the story so I wouldn't just call them retellings.

Also anyone ever read the full umbrella chronicals novel? It expands upon things in more detail, even hint that the tyrant Ada fights is from RE2 and not the one from outbreak!

--

February 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Revelations 1 and 2 are counted as part of the main series.

The True Story Behind Biohazard/The book is non canon and even clashes with the original game as Richard is still at the RPD when he should be inside the mansion with the rest of Bravo Team. Add the events of Zero into the frame and it definitely cannot fit.

The Perry novels have never been canon. The dates are all wrong, the characters are wrong (Mayor Harris when Mayor Warren was already established) and Perry created her own backstories for the characters rather than going off Capcom Japan's. (Jill Valentine the daughter of a thief - that fact alone was stupid as it would automatically extinguish any chance whatsoever of Jill being eligable for a career in law enforcement)

Las Plagas Organisms of War is canon as it references events from Damnation and takes place during the latter part of the film.

To the liberty mentions the C-Virus but it is a different virus to 6, purely a coincidence. To the Liberty and Rose Blank are fan-written novels written by competition winners.

Beast of Northern Sea was written by Flasgship so it has the potential to be canon, but the fact it has never been referenced and the Beardsley family supposedly helped found Umbrella, which is clearly not the case according to RE5, then its probably irrelevant. But I haven't read it yet so cannot be sure at this stage with the exact details.

Drama albums are all non-canon and so are the Umbrella Chronicles novels due to major contradictions with events established in the games.

February 9, 2015 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Sorry James if you misunderstood my layout. I just wanted to seperate the numbered titles from the rest of the games so I just labelled them as main and side. Yeah Revelations is definatley a part of the main series and is certainly canon. I have to agree with USS though that Umbrella Chronicles was everything from Weskers point of view. Things may not be 100% accurate because he wasnt there for everything however if you look at it as in its Wesker telling his story of the events then it is easier to forgive. Also Survivor 2 was a dream sequence but that dream is canon as it happened to Claire and therefore is relevant to the series. Even though it actually is irrelevant to the outcome and doesnt offer anything new it still happened so has to be taken into consideration.

I have those comics USS but not in English. They are on Ebay and I was about to buy them until I was contacted by the seller who informed me they are in German. I believe they are the only translations out there? Do they at all contradict with anything that happened in the series or just add to?

Batman. That is a real shame about the Beginnings book. I do enjoy it and truly enjoy anything that happens pre and during the Raccoon City incident. Unfortunatley though you are right and I was just clasping at straws looking for any reason to be able to add it to the canon category.

Thanks for clearing up the books Liberty and Blank however where does that leave Strange Beast of the North Sea? I saw Welsh talk about it on PU and yeah he said the samething written by flagship so should be canon however there is a possibility that it contradicts itself.

Well the fact that the drama albums are non canon is kind of dissapointing to me. I have been really enjoying them so far however like I mentioned above I am not that far in and already them seem to be all over the place with contradictions. I love the fact that some of the Spencer Estate remained in ruins however it would all be in tiny little pieces after the blast.

Thanks for clearing that up Bats and thanks to USS and James. However I still dont know where we stand on the Resident Evil Marvel Prequel comic (Thanks USS). Nicholais letter in the Code guide book and Confidential Report.

I am adding Las Plagas: Organisms of war and Jills diary to the list so far. I have to now research the BSAA Database (Which is probably canon) RE5'S PTSD videos and Bio Clan master.

--

February 9, 2015 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

BSAA Desktop is canon as it is referenced in Archives 2 and mentioned in RE5 itself when Sheva asks if HQ were expecting to run into the majini.

Strange Beast is up in the air. I'll need to read it but what I know of it seems kind of daft. Something along the lines of Mylene Beardsley being able to interface with computers. But neither the Beardsley family or the neo-t-Virus are ever mentioned anywhere else, so I don't put too much stock into it being canon.

Hunk dies in one of the drama albums, as does Christine Henri and Ada gives up being a spy and goes back to Leon. Sherry goes to a neighbouring town rather than into government custody. 

Bradygames English guides including Nicholai's letter are just made up rubbish unfortunately.

Basically its literally the games and the Japanese guidebooks. Archives 1 and 2 are taken 100% from them, often word for word.

February 9, 2015 at 7:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Nice one Bats that is a great help. Its always a pleasure to pick your brain lol. I remember the Hunk dying refference from a PU podcast now so yeah those are total bullshit. Shame really I like those and The Beginning.

Have you read the Marvel Resident Evil comic? I havent had the chance to read it yet but I am going to later on.

http://www.crimson-head.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11257266

I am curious if this has any contradictions because it sounds great from what I have heard. Where do you stand on Confidential Report? Without pissing Neptune off lol. Lastly those RE5 Post Traumatic Stress videos are non canon right? There is no mention of this in RE5? He is down yeah but not to the extent of trying to kill himself. Or was he this way until he found out Jill maybe alive.

February 9, 2015 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator
The PTSD videos take place after the game. I know chris is OK and realizes its all worth fighting for but PTSD takes a while to take affect on people. Also isn't The Fate of Raccoon City like outbreak? Just a bunch of random survivors trying to escape raccoon city?
--

February 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

I dont know about Fate of Raccoon City sorry maybe someone else can answer that.

Yeah I realised after I posted that the PTSD videos are post RE5 not pre. The edit time had ran out though and didnt want to repost just for that. If he had PTSD and amnesia during RE6 do you really think that the B.S.A.A. should be employing him? He should be forced to retire surley?

--

February 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

BSAArklay at February 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM

I dont know about Fate of Raccoon City sorry maybe someone else can answer that.

Yeah I realised after I posted that the PTSD videos are post RE5 not pre. The edit time had ran out though and didnt want to repost just for that. If he had PTSD and amnesia during RE6 do you really think that the B.S.A.A. should be employing him? He should be forced to retire surley?

Well the last PTSD video he got over it and went on an assignment with Sheva. As for amnesia, Bad writing? Chris's campaign was my saving grace for RE6 because it gave me what I wanted with the BSAA. To see them in action in a war zone. However I really never like the idea that they forced him back to work, as team leader no less, with amnesia. I don't care how bad they needed his skills its really stupid giving a man with phycological problems a gun. Then he gets his memories back and goes on his man hunt for Ada getting his team killed. I think chris should become an BSAA advisor or a trainer due to his skill and expertise on dealing with BOWs no more (red)field work for him.
--

February 9, 2015 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

The Marvel comic only has some minor issues continuity wise but the main problems lie with the implementaton of REZero. Wesker says they lost contact with Bravo 20 minutes ago, rather than 24 hours. STARS seem to be stationed at a barracks 'STARS HQ' rather than the RPD and the Alpha members are all sleeping for some reason. But it's not for me personally. I only subscribe to the Capcom written stuff.

I guess you can take or leave the RE5 live action videos as it doesn't really matter either way. Although isn't Claire in one of them as a BSAA member? I can't quite remember. But Chris certainly doesn't have PTSD by the time he goes to Edonia and he never seemed particularly traumatised by anything that happened in RE5.

I read Nick's editorials on Confidential Report and I think the only major issue was the appearance of several Nemesis units running round Raccoon City. But again, the MS Virus that creates supersoliders, has never ever been referenced in the main series and would probably be more valuable to Umbrella than anything else they had created, if it was real. 

February 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Well I guess the Marvel comic is out the window then. I have heard somewhere before that all the S.T.A.R.S. members stay in a barracks. Maybe SD Perry novels? I definatley dont remember reading this comic before anyway.

Yeah Claire appears in one of the videos but isnt it a training exercise? Just watched it and I always assumed it was a training room with bags hung up and dropping down like the Military use. Looking at it now though they are heavily suited up and wearing headsets. The last one was hilarious. Chris is drowning himself in some tub in what I can only describe as a rape dungeon. Sheva runs up and pulls him out of the water. Sheva tells him come on we have a new assingment. Lol if this guy didnt kill himself after RE6 then someone should do him a favour. Wesker probably felt sorry for him and wanted to put him out of his miserable exsistance. I dont think these videos should be considered canon because they just pile on top of the whole RE6 amnesia shit. He should be locked up in a straight jacket ffs.

Several Nemesis units running around Raccoon? Well that explains everything. Thats how the RE3 Nemesis was able to pop up everywhere there was more than one of them. There are two Nemesis at the same time in operation Mad Jackal arent there? I remember feeling ridiculously under powered.

--

February 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

How exactly is survivor 2 canon?

--

March 1, 2015 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

Vito at March 1, 2015 at 2:02 PM

How exactly is survivor 2 canon?

Its a dream Claire has after the events of Code Veronica. Also the files are canon.
--

March 1, 2015 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96
The viral vids of RE5 to me are non-canon. I'm thinking they were just for advertising and pumping up people to play the game. I personally didn't need those ads to get me into the game. I'm sorry but that was not Chris Redfield in those ads ( I know it can be hard to translate video game based plots/characters to live action).
March 1, 2015 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.