CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Resident Evil drama : ARKLAY

BSAArklay

Proposed concept for a Resident Evil television drama, based on the murders in the Arklay mountains & Spencer Mansion, by Shawn Christopher Lebert, entitled ARKLAY ~

http://mancemedia.com/products/arklay//

Oh dear. I was hoping for this since I first saw Walking Dead. However I cannot believe! That they are using another unknown main character to lead the series who has nothing what so ever to do with the games. Possibly it could be a setup for the beginning and the main characters show up later? But I dont think Hollywood are that clever.

I hope this show gets stuck in development hell and never see's the light of day. Personally. If you are not going to go hard then go home. Is this a case of well it worked for the movies so it can work for a TV Show? I think its more likley that whoever is going to take this on cannot be arsed to go through the History of RE and make the games and fans proud by sticking to the canon. Simply put they cant be arsed, so just scrap whats there and make your own shit up. Then why purchase the rights for Resident Evil? To use the name to put butts in seats.

I knew to many good things were happening with Evil Dead Show, Last Of Us movie and RE HD. They say good things come in threes and we have already had our three.

What do you guys think? Am I alone on this or do you agree it shouldn't happen.

August 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Thanks for the report Crimson Head Elder.

I am sorry but you are very wide of the mark regarding the Resident Evil education, knowledge, and integrity of the creative talent behind this drama concept, Shawn Christoher Lebert. In conversation, exclusively for CHE, I enquired of Mr Lebert, for further details on ARKLAY, and this was part of his quick & kind response ~

"I've been a fan of the game franchise since the beginning, losing endless hours during my childhood researching the backstories and all other lore which makes the Resident Evil world so complex.

This is a dream of mine that I'm very proud to be a part of and my mission is to make sure fans as well as a fresh new audience can come into this and enjoy a new wave of cinematic television drama."

When it comes to the background & motives I desperately want from the artist conspiring to create the drama we have all yearned for, even more so in these Paul Anderson dark days, Mr Lebert appears to be the real deal, and an ideal custodian for this enormously promising potential survival horror drama.

Official pitch ~ Inspired by the Resident Evil franchise, ARKLAY is a new scripted survival horror series that delves into the mysterious homicides of Raccoon City.

When Detective James Reinhardt is thrust into a series of bizarre homicides, he unravels the city is hiding a dark conspiracy. Learning a fatal virus is connected to it all, Reinhardt discovers it's already coursing through him. With time no longer on his side, he must solve the conspiracy to save his own life.

Below is the pitch reel concept, using footage from Hannibal, Seven, and similar, not from the planned series, but utalised to illustrate the tone & style proposed ~

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

August 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Sounds promising George but why has he chosen to ignore the cast and give the lead role to an unknown character? That is my comparission to the movies.

My Knowledge, education and integrity of this project is all based upon that link that I posted. So for anyone to know more about the project obviously knows something I dont and I take on board any input given to me.

It does sound promising but I have heard that same old line time and time again. Concerning Alien Vs Predator Reqiuem, Alien Colonial Marines, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2013, The Thing Prequel, Resident Evil movies....The list goes on and on.

They all gave that same speech 'We are fans of the series and are going to honour the heritage of this franchise and stay true to the fans.' Yeah and then they start making the show and producers have their input and the project turns out the complete opposite as to what the Screenwriter had intended.

Please prove me wrong, I hope he does. However Casting the lead role as some unknown and calling the series Arklay and not Resident Evil doesnt exactly earn my trust from the get go.

I wasnt always the negative guy I am today. But after countless remakes and sequels and spin offs I have absolutley no trust in anyone in Games, Films or otherwise until they have already proven themselves and earned my trust. I will of course give this show a chance and am the first to admit when I am wrong, I wouldnt cut my nose off to spite my face so to speak. But I am definatley not buying that line from a random I have never heard of ever again.

Also I watched the first 6 episodes of Hannibal and it was pretty boring to be honest. I was never a fan of the films except for Silence of the lambs, so maybe if its Resident Evil I will get into it alot more HOWEVER if the characters arent there and its just a town and a virus of the same name does that make it anymore Resident Evil than the movies?

August 9, 2014 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

I understand your hesitations when it comes to staying true to a franchise or a story. I am currently working in the movie industry and I can tell you that you make a very accurate point.

The only way for the screenwriter to get his story on screen verbatim is to keep money people (the Hollywood producers) out of it. Completely going Indie. Producers control the money on a film and make whatever changes they deem necessary for the film to be 'cinematic' which basically means to make money. This often means casting choices, the direction of the story itself, etc. 

The current trend of remakes, sequels, spin offs and reboots is for money. These properties have built in audiences and so the studios are guarenteed their money. Creative originality could mean a studio losing their shirts. No one is taking chances today except for the Independents.

August 9, 2014 at 8:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

I totally respect where Crimson Head Elder (the resident, not the site!) finds himself at the moment if he feels let down by Paul Anderson's films but it's unfair to already judge this drama as if it's also an Anderson creation. I read the writer's quote in the CHE news feed - I see no reason to question his intentions when it comes to respecting the RE 'lore' as he puts it. This could be promising I believe.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

August 9, 2014 at 9:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

This is exciting development for us all that were left feeling very disapointed when George Romero's script amounts to nothing and we get those ugly films instead. If the style is like The Walking Dead then they would get it right perfectly.

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

August 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

He posted on his Twitter 'Who would like to see a Resident Evil Cops show?' I know exactly what he is thinking judging by that proposal trailer as well.

Watch 1 episode of Hannibal and expect that RE style. Probably no characters though. Just a random guy looking to find a cure and uncover the truth about some murders. How this makes any sense I do not know. So the zombies are going to be serial killers who never get caught or seen? *Sigh* I dunno whatever, just doesnt excite me when I thought of what an RE show would be this is not it. I wouldnt think Walking Dead, I would think more like Dexter.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

August 9, 2014 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hazardman89

I think this could be good. Just give it the right tone, and avoid continuity errors, and it should work.

I don't see why we need any of the old characters. They shouldn't have anything more than supporting roles in this. It seems like the whole point of the show is to show a different prespective of the outbreak besides that of the STARS team. The only RE character that should make a regular appearance should be Chief Irons, for obvious reasons.

I do think infecting the main chacter backs the show into a corner, since he's kinda destined to die, but if they develope a solid cast, that won't even matter. His investigation can open up the lore for those new to the RE universe, and then the show can take off from there.

August 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

You say about continuity errors though but if the show doesnt focus on the main characters that wouldnt even be an issue.

Also how can you have the Chief of police without STARS? It just doesnt work. The only way to do it is to write STARS out completley.

Finally you say it can open up the lore of the series however if it isnt canon which it wont be if its not focusing on the actual storyline what difference does it make? It would be the same as reading fan fiction it doesnt count, doesnt make any difference.....whats the point?

I can only speak for myself but I have no intention of spending any more time on this series especially when it concerns something that is non canon or I dont enjoy (Hence my total ignorance to RE6, I dont really know what went on behind the scenes and I dont really give a toss to find out).

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

August 10, 2014 at 12:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hazardman89

Continuity errors as in changing roles of established characters, or altering anything already established in the games. Basically making sure they keep everything in order within the timeline. Using new, unrelated characters is the easiest way to do that.

You don't have to write STARS out completely. They just don't need to play a big role. He's a detective, so he wouldn't be working with them. The chief would get involved since he's poking around in Umbrella's business.

I said it can open up the lore to new fans. Show them the ins and outs of the RE universe. It doesn't have to be canon. just accurate.

If you don't see a point to it, don't watch it, maybe? Nobody is forcing it on you. I don't read fanfics for that very reason.

August 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

I probably wont if its what I think its going to be. I havent watched the movies since Extinction so I've got used to ignoring RE when it comes to Film so I can do the same for TV.

I am just pissed because we had the movies that didnt stay true to the storyline and now we get a TV show that does the samething.

All I have ever wanted is Chris and Jill in a mansion, is that to much to ask?

--

August 10, 2014 at 12:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leon Luo

No matter what, at least the films let more non-gamers know about the series, from whatever perspective. At least my non-gamer collegues can recognize the Umbrella sign on my office desk. So any project spreading the series to broader audience is good in my opinon.

Anyone remembers the official novel "True Story Behind BIOHAZARD"? I think that's just the best way for Resident Evil drama script. If they can do something similar, even not having the main character as someone from the game, I will be very pleased.

August 10, 2014 at 1:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

I think this idea has potential, and I think he is right to go with an original character as a lead. First things first, there is no point whatsoever trying to make this series canon to the games, it needs to be its own seperate entity and that needs to be established early on so that the fanbase don't turn into a pack of hateful, rabid dogs.

I don't hate Anderson's films because they carry contradictions and are not canon, I hate Anderson's films because he has no idea about what makes Resident Evil what it is and what the essence and themes are. 

A TV series set in and around the mansion incident is a great idea. I see no reason why you cannot have cameos from the core cast, Reinhart clashing heads with Irons or Wesker for example if he gets too close to the truth, shooting Jill a few flirtatious looks in the background but that's as far as I'd go with it. This needs to be its own thing. 

It should also focus on the conspiracy angle of Umbrella's involvement. No Tyrants, no Hunters, no spiders or anything silly, just the reanimated corpses. This should be kept realistic but spark the viewer's imagination as to what other horrors lurk in the mansion.

I hope we see the day to day running of the mansion and perhaps the after effects of the original accident, but what I don't want to see is a retelling of the mansion incident with STARS and this new Reinhart character just shoehorned in. 

August 10, 2014 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

I completely agree with TheBatMan - I often get lost in my dislike of the films, and forget it is less about canon issues, and more about, as TheBatMan says, the 'essense' of Resident Evil, and how painfully & tragically detached Paul Anderson and his suspiciously strange choice of perpetual lead character/wife are from what that is.

Any drama that matched the exact narrative of the Mansion Incident, would fail to cover two 1hr episodes, and fail to generate any interest outside of a very specific hardcore fanbase.

I also see no benefit from having to stick rigidly to the video game cast. Chris Redfield is no where near being one of the more  interesting of RE characters; Dario Rosso has by far a more emotional backstory and pathos.

If you want an idea of how one dimentional & how devoid of universal appeal a televisual representation of the exact video game narrative would be, just watch Wesker's Report.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

August 10, 2014 at 7:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Unfortunatley I completley disagree with you on this one. I would rather see a show that tries to be canon and fails than a show that just ignores anything about the series. Like GT mentioned in his first post, the guy prides himself on being a huge fan of the series and having a history of knowledge throughout the years while he grew up. What good is that now?

Its just another spin off and in my opinion it is lazy and boring and pointless. Batman you said that you disliked the movies because it didnt have the essence of themes that the games did but how is a cop show going to be any different? When was Resident Evil a cop game? The themes and essence of Resident Evil are mystery, horror, cabin fever, trapped, isolated, confined and so on. CSI/NCIS is not how I would associate Resident Evil.

I dont know how Dario Rosso has more emotional and backstory than Chris Redfield care to explain? Dario is a coward and his backstory is he was a salesman unless I am missing something I dont see how that is more interesting than Chris's parents dying, him having to look after his sister at a young age, joining the Air Force and being kicked out then joining STARS. It may be dull to you somehow? But with the right actor who would revel in a role like Chris Redfield he could bring that character to life. Same goes for Leon.

I respect your opinions but I cannot agree with them this time. This show will be boring and wont last long.

--

August 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

First of all, I wouldn't put any stock in how much he claims to be a fan, Paul Anderson did exactly the same, even boasting that no one on the planet had played Resident Evil as much as him, and look how that turned out. No self-respecting writer is going to come out and say he's not a fan of the games at the end of the day. 

Also, I don't know this series will be any different at this early stage, it could very well be a disaster, but given the test reel they've put together, it seems to indicate that they are not going to be using bullet time, slow motion, rock music, mind-control, kung fu etc. They want to make it much more realistic. 

This series has the potential to be something different. It can be a mystery story, a thriller, a drama as long as they focus on the characters and the universe they inhabit rather than mindless action and set-pieces. 

We have our primary character, he investigates brutal and bizarre murders. Whispers of strange creatures being sighted in the woods, people going missing, rumblings of possible occult members hiding out. We have Chief Irons, is he hiding something? The forest is cordoned off, STARS are called in. People in the subburbs are falling sick, our hero finds some evidence Umbrella may be involved. He get's threatened, warned away, Wesker could even steer him off the right track. The possibilities are endless really for a compelling drama rather than a poor imitation of the characters we all know and love running round the mansion being chased by poor CG Hunters and zombie dogs created on a TV budget. 

By all means have the STARS members included, but keep them in the background. I don't know the point GT is making with Dario, but you can still a create a new character every bit as interesting as Chris. 

My own approach would be to have it run parallel with the first game, rather than imitate it. Put your own spin on things without contradicting established events. But you try and recreate the mansion incident and market this as canon and you're just setting yourself up for a fall. The fans would scrutise everything and before you know it you'd be hated just as much as Anderson or Slant Six. 

August 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xarls
Well...i want to be positive so I hope we get an actual Resident Evil TV show and not what we saw in the movies and with some classic Resident Evil characters cameos (like the S.T.A.R.S., Marvin, John Clemens, Ada...).
--

The DEADPOOLEST Crimson Head Elder resident

August 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

I laughed at this 'even boasting that no one on the planet had played Resident Evil as much as him' I never knew that. What a tool.

Oh I agree with you that this can and will be better than the movies but thats hardly an accomplishment. I have seen Youtube fan films better than those movies and not the good fan films either.

I guess my point I am trying to make is, we have had an action Resident Evil and now its a Thriller/Drama. Resident Evil is a horror series and we have still yet to have a live action version. If we had say 3 or 4 films and they were horror succesful or fails I would say Fine! they tried it and it worked/didnt work lets try something else.

It would be a very expensive show to make with all the monsters and enviroments. I think this Arklay show is going to be low budget also. I dont know much about who or if anyone has even picked this show up but a first time screenwriter getting is hands on something as big as Resident Evil? Maybe we are jumping the gun abit here. I have gone from this show will never make air to this is happening.

Well maybe it is just me about the whole try and make the show like the games. I feel like if they arent trying to do that though then what are they doing? Do you make a Friday the 13th movie without Jason? Do you make Star Wars without a Jedi? Halloween without Michael Myers? Simpsons without the Simpsons? To me Resident Evil IS and ALWAYS WILL BE about Chris, Jill, Wesker, Leon and Claire. Especially the Raccoon City incident. I am a man of characters I like to invest in them and almost become them when I play the game. So to leave them out (like the movies) it feels like I travelled through this story with them and now we arent invited to the party....so to speak.

--

August 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

We wouldn't be missing the party so to speak, just riding alongside it. Its similar to RE3 in that Jill and her scenario were added to take place in and around the events of RE2. Only this time we're using an original character. Also note that the title of this series doesn't mention Resident Evil. It's a companion piece, hopefully without contradiction and left open ended so people can take it as seriously as they wish when it comes to adding to the overall lore. 

I think if you were to retell the mansion incident, I'd do it as a CG movie like Deg/Damnation. That way Capcom would have total creative control, the mansion could be recreated to look exactly like the game, all the creatures could be recreated faithfully and you could have Roger Craig Smith, DC Douglas et all to do all the mo-cap and voicework. 

August 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

TheBatMan at August 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM

We wouldn't be missing the party so to speak, just riding alongside it. Its similar to RE3 in that Jill and her scenario were added to take place in and around the events of RE2. Only this time we're using an original character. Also note that the title of this series doesn't mention Resident Evil. It's a companion piece, hopefully without contradiction and left open ended so people can take it as seriously as they wish when it comes to adding to the overall lore. 

I think if you were to retell the mansion incident, I'd do it as a CG movie like Deg/Damnation. That way Capcom would have total creative control, the mansion could be recreated to look exactly like the game, all the creatures could be recreated faithfully and you could have Roger Craig Smith, DC Douglas et all to do all the mo-cap and voicework. 

That is exactly what I want. They could use Julia Voth for mocap as well.

I guess I will have to take this show as it comes but for now I can honestly say I dont care if its made or not. A CGI movie replicating RE1 though that is what I want. I guess Capcom wont do it because people will say 'I might as well just play the game again.' But that is the case for all video game movies. That is the case for football and any sport why watch it when you can go and do it. Well sometimes its nice to sit and down and kick back and relax and just watch rather than take part, thats my answer to those people.

August 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.