CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > RE Zero: What did you do?

SkinniMini1

In Zero there are a few scenarios where you can choose who goes where. What I want to ask you all is who do you think is Character A and Character B during these scenarios and why.

Scenario 1: Character A goes up to restore power but then gets trapped in the room below while Character B goes down to travel the train (including the newly unlocked areas), then finds the ice pick for Character A and later fights the Giant Scorpion alone. 

SkinniMini's opinion: Character A is Billy and Character B is Rebecca. 

Why I think so: Because in the cutscene before all of this happens, you can clearly see Rebecca getting ready to go down the stairs (she was going in order to find out who was controlling the train).

Scenario 2: When it's time to stop the train from crashing, Character A stays by the train's main controls, while Character B travels to the back of the train with the keycard in order to activate the train's brake system so that Character A can pull the brake. 

SkinniMini's Opinion: Again, Character A is Billy and Character B is Rebecca

Why I think so: While the clue isn't as obvious as the first scenario, I believe that Rebecca confrontation with Edward as a zombie actually did occur bc it shows that she's certain at least one teammate is deceased, and not only that, when the two reach the Training Facility after the crash, it seems as if she is coming from what looks like the back of the train. 

Scenario 3: Character A stays outside and weighs down the hidden piece so that Character B can go inside the cathedral. Character B goes inside, then takes on the Giant Bat, then uses the hookshot to get to the roof, which then leads to the back where there is a switch to activate power to the elevator around the way. 

SkinniMini's Opinion: While this is ambiguous, I'm going to say that  Character A is Rebecca and Character B is Billy.

Why I think so: Honestly, I can't come up with a great conclusion like I did with the others. I mean there is literally no visual or auditory clue like the rest of the examples. It could go either way.  I picked Billy just because. 

Scenario 4: Once the two reach the laboratory, they split up again. Character A uses the hookshot to reach the upper levels. While Character B waits below and later thanks to items Character A finds, is able to locate the cable car and helps Character A reach the lower levels again.

SkinniMini's Opinion: Character A is Billy and Character B is Rebecca

Why I think so: Well the main clues comes later in the game. The first is seen after Billy is saved in the Water Treatment Plant. He sees all the corpses and comes to the conclusion that Marcus was messing around with the virus. He could have only come to that conclusion after reading the files found in the upper level of the Lab. Another (and an easier one for me) is when Billy sees Young Dr. Marcus. He asks "Who are you" instead of assuming he was a son or grandson (like his optional cutscene suggests), which leads me to believe that he was not on the lower level of the lab and thus did not see the "old photograph" of young Marcus in the study room. 

Scenario 5: The second fight with the Proto-Tyrant. Either Character A or Character B can face him alone or they can do it together.

SkinniMini's Opinion: Rebecca and Billy obviously fought this enemy together. 

Why I think so: They had really just reunited. I doubt they were separated at this point. 

--

June 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Interesting & original thread, focusing on one of my favourite installements, a game not discussed enough in my opinion. I was planning on playing Resident Evil Zero when I've next got some free time, and I'll post my choices here soon.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

July 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

Agreed. Certainly a topic worth investigating. I always considered the choices arbitrary to the story's progression, but some of your points suggest otherwise. I too will do the same as George Trevor in the near future.

July 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1
Thank you both for responding :-) That's funny that you say you are going to play the game soon George bc I am too. Just got to wait until gamefly sends it. I'm going to do a let's play of it for my youtube channel. It's not enough RE: Zero let's plays and there surely aren't many that are played by Re: Zero lovers. Most let's players I've watched act like the game is such a chore for them to do. Its hard watching ppl be so negative towards the game when you yourself love it. I agree, this game get's talked about the least and I don't understand why. I get tired of hearing about re2 or re4 for instance. Edit: I change my mind on scenario 3 choices. I realized that due to being the bigger of the two it would be more logical to assume that Billy weighed down the panel outside. It's a better explaination than I had before, which was none.
July 8, 2014 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

Choice 1: I used to make sure it was Billy who would face the infected scorpion as he could sustain more damage than Rebecca, but I soon realised that I could have defeated this enemy with Sherry Birkin!!

Choice 2: Sending Billy will not trigger the cutscene with Edward so I go with Rebecca. I have also tried a strategy saving bullets by having Billy charge down the train without the need to kill Edward and the other zombies.

Choice 3 & 4: I need Billy to pick up all empty bottles and petrol canisters which I conserve for the final batte with Marcus and so to also have the hookshot which takes up 2 inventory slots leaves not much room for ammo and weapons. So I always give the hookshot to Rebecca who can also make more room for it by being the only character who can mix herbs together and create the extra space.

Choice 5: Now that I am an experianced RE Zero player I do not think there is any choice that has to be made one way or another otherwise the challenge is too hard. If I was fighting a boss enemy I would send the tougher Billy when I was inexperianced at the gameplay but now I like to stick to the route which best matches with the story and the cutscenes.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

July 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

I dont have a specific strategy. I like to alternate depending on how I feel at the time and which player has the most suitable inventory for that scenario. That is one of the features I like about Resident Evil 0, you can play the same sections as a different player each time.

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

July 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1

James Marcus at July 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Choice 1: I used to make sure it was Billy who would face the infected scorpion as he could sustain more damage than Rebecca, but I soon realised that I could have defeated this enemy with Sherry Birkin!!

Choice 2: Sending Billy will not trigger the cutscene with Edward so I go with Rebecca. I have also tried a strategy saving bullets by having Billy charge down the train without the need to kill Edward and the other zombies.

Choice 3 & 4: I need Billy to pick up all empty bottles and petrol canisters which I conserve for the final batte with Marcus and so to also have the hookshot which takes up 2 inventory slots leaves not much room for ammo and weapons. So I always give the hookshot to Rebecca who can also make more room for it by being the only character who can mix herbs together and create the extra space.

Choice 5: Now that I am an experianced RE Zero player I do not think there is any choice that has to be made one way or another otherwise the challenge is too hard. If I was fighting a boss enemy I would send the tougher Billy when I was inexperianced at the gameplay but now I like to stick to the route which best matches with the story and the cutscenes.

Yeah the Scorpion is just a joke. In my head I can see Rebecca or Billy saying "This is the best it can do?" No but half agree with your last statment. Even when I was inexperienced I still played both evenly. However, like you, during certain playthroughs, I do like to match up the gameplay to the cutscenes as closely as possible. Like I was telling @James Marcus, I too play this way time to time @Nemesis in order to switch up my playthroughs. This thread is me just coming up with possible canon scenarios for the game bc it's interesting for me to think about and bc I've never seen a thread like this on any RE message board so I thought I'd share my thoughts with you all.
July 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.