CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community Site & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > RE1 or REmake?

ResiEvilChic96

So with March 22, 1996 being the anniversary that Resident Evil was released and changing survival horror forever, I started going thru nostalgia lane with playing the original RE1 and asked myself which game I do prefer on the lore that began at Spencer's Mansion? RE1 or Remake.

This was a toughie b/c I do enjoy both greatly. I loved the graphical update we got with the Remake. The enviroments are just gorgeous and me being a fan of architecture, I could go thru looking at the scenery in each room at that mansion all day if I could. Most importantly what I think Remake did the best with, was adding the Trevors storyline. Lisa Trevor, still one of the best enemies in the series (along with Nemesis!) although she is a tragic figure with her story and what happened with her and family. Also that battle with the Crimson Head, the best enemies are usually the ones that make me want to run for the hills when I first play the games.

RE1 does have its cheesy dialouge and bad voice acting but it did launch the series. The sound the hunters made with their claws on the ground as you were coming into contact with them. Yeah they were formidable ones to deal with. Still have memories of getting decapitated by two of them in a hallway in arranged mode. Fun times. Or first seeing the shark's POV coming out of the busted tank and swimming out into the water, that did freak me out some b/c I always had a fear of watching Jaws as a kid.

Well after much consideration, my favorite at the moment would be have to be RE1. It's near and dear to my heart, first RE game I ever played. But Remake is not far behind it, just a smidge. Plus without RE1, we wouldn't of had the beautiful Remake! So which do you prefer?

March 22, 2018 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sonny Bauer

It's hard when deciding whether or not it’s the remake or the original for me as well. The addition of the Trevor plot line was fantastic for the REmake, it really added something to the original that didn’t detract from it. Love all the additional interactions near the end of the game where Wesker would be in the lab instead of the hallway leading to it and how the supporting characters are involved in the Tyrant fight on the heliport. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is superior to the original.

However, feel that I’ve really enjoyed the aesthetic of the Spencer Mansion in the original more so with it being more colorful as opposed to seeming dreary with the brown/muted colors of a haunted house. The dog hallway in Remake is superior with the black and white tile floor just as an exception. I did not like the renovation of the library and observatory into one giant library. I also did not like the change of the ballroom into a room with giant sliding walls and the hole in the floor just there. I missed that being the final Yawn fight with it coming out of the fireplace and creating the hole. I also found other areas in the original to be better than its successor, such as the aqua ring and the lab.

I really missed Jill interacting with Barry in the mining tunnels in Remake, the idea to choose whether or not to trust him is not available in Remake where it is solidified that he leaves you behind in the depths by taking the elevator back up. However, Richard's extended role was a nice touch.

Regardless, the original story with the reports of the murders and having S.T.A.R.S. who I found fascinating in their uniqueness in personality, wardrobe, skill set, background, and the simple fact that they were these handpicked elite squad that end up meeting their match and getting overwhelmed by this incident and finding out that it was all a setup by Wesker and Umbrella was just brilliant.

So, I guess I like a lot about both games, bit of an RE1/REmake combo. It's still hard to decide, I always go back and forth.

March 22, 2018 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Yeah the back and forth thing happens with me too. Even when I posted this I was asking myself was I sure I preferred RE1 over Remake.

Good points on the missing interactions with Jill and Barry in the mines. I liked having those options in the original with trusting him or not. Also Enrico's voice with "Yeah?" when he responds when Chris or Jill goes "Is that voice Enrico?" still cracks me up. Also good point on Richard having more of an extended role in Remake.

Well with all the back and forth deciding on the titles, I think it finally comes down to this decision:

March 22, 2018 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Inezh_Lover

The remake is a terrific game, this said  the original is a historical event.

Original.

--

https://raccoonstars.blogspot.fr/

March 23, 2018 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

News Bot

I enjoy both separately on their own merits. There is no "complete version" of BIO1, which helps. You can only play the original and still have a firm grasp of the story leading into subsequent games. I find that it's necessary to play both to get the best out of the first game and its story.

Here are some of Wesker's BIO1 Japanese lines that were cut down in the remake but actually give a better look at his motivations going forward:

"Enrico? I will eliminate S.T.A.R.S. myself. To tell you the truth, a little bit of the Tyrant Virus has gone beyond Umbrella's control and I've been ordered to blow up this entire lab. Well, that's fine, but I also believe this valuable data should be preserved for a greater future."

"That's Umbrella's intention. This lab has been conducting some dangerous experiments and, for all practical purposes, caused an accident. Needless to say it cannot be made public."

"Such a foolish misunderstanding. Those monsters as you call them are rubbish. I'll reduce them to ashes along with this entire lab. But that'll be it, the end of my association with Umbrella."

"Let's say for example that you had developed the ultimate biological weapon. What would you do? Fate would be in your hands."

"The "Tyrant Virus" infects Homo sapiens, creating life surpassing humans. The Tyrant life form is nothing short of the ultimate bioweapon!"

March 23, 2018 at 1:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Oooh neat, I love seeing any cut dialouge especially from the JP version!
"Enrico? I will eliminate S.T.A.R.S. myself. To tell you the truth, a little bit of the Tyrant Virus has gone beyond Umbrella's control and I've been ordered to blow up this entire lab. Well, that's fine, but I also believe this valuable data should be preserved for a greater future."

Definitely some forshadowing there and this one especially: ""Let's say for example that you had developed the ultimate biological weapon. What would you do? Fate would be in your hands."

March 23, 2018 at 11:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Evil Resident
I find it fascinating how much of Wesker's character was planned out as early as the first game, and how they have largely stuck to that. I think CAPCOM are better at developing antagonists and using them in interesting ways than protagonists, who rarely stand out as unique or memorable.
--
Hiding places are beyond number, and yet only one deliverance. But there are as many chances for deliverance as there are hiding places - Kafka
March 24, 2018 at 11:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

News Bot at March 23, 2018 at 1:59 PM

I enjoy both separately on their own merits. There is no "complete version" of BIO1, which helps. You can only play the original and still have a firm grasp of the story leading into subsequent games. I find that it's necessary to play both to get the best out of the first game and its story.

Here are some of Wesker's BIO1 Japanese lines that were cut down in the remake but actually give a better look at his motivations going forward:

"That's Umbrella's intention. This lab has been conducting some dangerous experiments and, for all practical purposes, caused an accident. Needless to say it cannot be made public."

"Such a foolish misunderstanding. Those monsters as you call them are rubbish. I'll reduce them to ashes along with this entire lab. But that'll be it, the end of my association with Umbrella."

"Let's say for example that you had developed the ultimate biological weapon. What would you do? Fate would be in your hands."

"The "Tyrant Virus" infects Homo sapiens, creating life surpassing humans. The Tyrant life form is nothing short of the ultimate bioweapon!"

Thanks for digging these up and sharing (another Project Umbrella translation?). I knew some of the REmake files had been inexcusably cut, such as the Researcher's Will, again diminishing the original intention out of the remade scene, but jad not realised the same could be said so significantly for the dialogue.

I think my prefrence is strongly dictated by not having played the orginal until after I had first played RE2 on N64 and then REmake. I was drawn into the beauty, atmosphere, tension and exploration of REmake, and with the improved signature, iconic music and textures, I had never had a video game experience like it before, or after, in terms of depth of connection into the game!

So when I was faced with the PS's (which I already hated) early attempts as 3D character models, and such ambitious environments, much of the original Resident Evil fell a litlle flat for me, particularily the scenarios. I know it's almost sacrilege to say this, and I made these unpopular observations on the Project Umbrella podcast reviewing the original but the effect of REmake I think is so emotionally strong for me, especially with the George Trevor narrative, that the original feels by comparison slightly one-dimentional.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

June 5, 2018 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

I'm definitely with George here. RE2 was my first experience too, so while I can of course appreicate the historical significance and influence of RE1, it seems an abstract position to hold it in higher regard than the exponential improvement of REmake, with its atmospheric and emotional depth. REmake is the definitive version as far as I'm concerned, and is by far the superior experience. It isn't even close. 

June 18, 2018 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gunnutinfl

i remember that i played resident evil: director's cut, before the remake. the remake of the original resident evil blew me away, the animations, just about everything. but the one small, very small in fact, detail that i preferred over the remake was the build-up to coming across forest's body on the balcony. the music, and the blood covered hallway is one of the very small details that i preferred over the remake.

--

June 23, 2018 at 2:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Psyniac

As someone born at the tail end of '89, I wasn't really the ideal age for the first game and instead jumped in at RE2. I did rent the original but scarecely got time with it. Ergo, my first real experience with the Spencer Mansion incident was REmake and it's the one I hold the most dear.

That being said, i always enjoy the changes they made MORE when I go back to play the original. Not as in "oh they improved everything", just "these changes benefit both games by keeping them different".

--
Host of Psy Reviews It on YouTube, podcaster and former radio presenter, admin of RE2 Board Game community and curator of @ResiFacts on Twitter and Facebook.
September 30, 2018 at 3:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.