CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Remake HD Textures Discussion

BSAArklay
Administrator

Recently I managed to get my hands on some very nice HD textures from the Remaster of Resident Evil (2002). Thanks to 3A7 again. I wanted to share these with everyone but just throwing them into the rarites section didn’t seem right. I want to post them here on the forum for everyone to get involved in a discussion. Hopefully we can get some theories and observations going regarding the content. Since the game is pre rendered backgrounds there is a lot of materials which aren’t available from the disc as they are already fixed into the game’s backgrounds and don’t require their own seperated texture. So let’s get into it;

Here is a close up on the mansion painting found in the bar. Perhaps this is in game but I wanted to include it anyway. (To see larger versions of these right click and go to view image)

The roof of the outside area by the back door. Don’t recall ever getting a vertical shot.

The aqua ring without the water. I have never gone back to that area after emptying the water so these are new to me.

Nothing new here or different I just thought it was an amazing shot.

The tree’s cut off when out of view of the camera.

A better shot at the building on the helipad. I always wondered about this building, probably some sort of communications tower. The step’s leading up to this building have been destroyed, probably by orders of someone with authority to prevent any communication to the outside.

I always felt like the original game had a much better atmosphere during this area.

Excellent shot here however as you can see the left side of the mansion is completely missing. Hidden by textures of tree’s in the actual game.

A view of the land without the tree textures.

Lisa’s cabin in the distance you cannot usually make out.

More coming soon.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

But it's non-canon, you can't be caught reading that!

March 9, 2018 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

It’s interesting how different the mansion looks in the paintings compared to what we get. Makes you wonder if they originally planned on a full overhaul of what happened there.

I think the angle is from the scene for when you find the radio on the ground. BUT I recall it from the other direction so maybe they changed it.

The aqua ring is quite nice. Wish we had a photo or something from before it went to shit. I think it’s safe to say the dogs climbed up a tree to jump up to the balcony. I never noticed how close that one tree is to it until now.

I never got around to getting a good look at that little building. I wonder, can you check it or anything? I never got around to trying.

The view of the mansion and Lisa’s cabin is nice.

Also looks kinda like a road is meant to be there behind that fence when there’s no trees.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM

“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

March 9, 2018 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

News Bot

The picture is Neuschwanstein, not the Spencer Mansion.

March 10, 2018 at 4:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

News Bot at March 10, 2018 at 4:55 AM

The picture is Neuschwanstein, not the Spencer Mansion.

Thanks News Bot, I know yourself, Ridley, and Welsh made this and many similar discoveries (Project Umbrella Observations of Note thread) many years ago when there was only one port of REmake!

@BSAArklay & 3A7 great work extracting these screens, they're awesome and it's always such a joy to see the Spencer Mansion this close up & personal.

My favourite is that view back towards the rear of the mansion, it just screams 'spooky mansion', a theme which for me is when the series is as its best, reminiscent of a role-playing book in the 'Fighting Fantasy' series by Steve Jackson - 'House of Hell'. I believe Welsh had this source inspiration confirmed to him personally by the game's scenario artist/designer Isao Oishi during their private communications, which was a really cool shock for me, as I had always felt the influence of that book, I read as a child, when years later I walked terrified around the Spencer Mansion! 

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

March 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

USSCOMMAND: It is a whole lot easier to imagine how the Aqua Ring would have looked pre the outbreak without the water flooding the environment. It seem's pretty clear that the shark tank is very small and Neptune would have great difficulty manouvering in there. There must have been a larger area above so he could have more freedom only question is where that would be. Also nah you cannot interact with the building on the helipad unfortunatley. I believe Welsh once told me it was infact a communications tower though. The land surrounding the mansion appears to be of the same texture throughout. I believe you can see the same texture when looking down from one of the angles on the balcony you find Forest. One would have to assume there would be a road somewhere nearby though. For transportational purposes at the least.

NEWSBOT: Nice! Thanks for that. I remember the similar thread from PU and there was amazing observations there however due to time a lot of the URL image links have died and it is hard to guess what the individual is reffering to in their post without visual confirmation.

I believe that the purpose of these other mansion paintings throughout the Arklay mansion could possibly be easter egg like nods from Capcom as to the locations they used to create the mansion. Inspirations if you will.

The Neuschwanstein Castle even has it's own underground caverns beneath it.

I will try to post more images of these other mansions hopefully we can get some more names.

GT: Excellent comparrison shots GT thanks for that. The front of the House of Hell mansion is very similar to the Arklay Mansion, almost identical to the original.

Edit: Here is a few more of these mansions, I left a few out because you cannot even make out any distinguishing  features on them.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

March 10, 2018 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Wenpei Mao

Awesome pictures of the mansion! :D Are there any pictures that you can read text off them?

--

March 12, 2018 at 10:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

These are great pictures of the mansion especially the empty aqua ring. I been really fascinated by that section lately. I also love the architecture of the outdoor area!

I never read the house of hell book but from the looks of it, I may want to check it now!
Thanks for posting these amazing pics and can't wait to see more!

--

March 13, 2018 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Thanks Alan and REChic glad you enjoyed. There may be a few product names for us to see but in depth text unfortunatley no. Even with the HD upgrade the text is sitll blurry due to the original texture being that way. I will post some at a later date for everyone to see.

A look at the area where Neptune is trapped, not a whole lot going on here but still worth seeing without the water.

Jessica Trevor's skeleton.

I don't recall ever seeing these skeleton's tied to the wall and ceiling in Jessica's tomb area.

Note the painting on the wall on the left hand side. Considering the location and the resemblance it would be safe to assume this is a painting of Lisa Trevor.

A hole in the wall of one of the bathrooms never noticed this before but it is likley that this is the work of Plant 42.

If you notice the texture of the man stung by bee's when playing Remake you can notice this shadow. Since the character has his own base model when that is removed only his shadow remains.

Just an update on the Aqua Ring environment. As I stated previously perhaps the Aqua Ring opened up to a larger area toward the top ofthe glass because the cylinder tank seemed very small to me to be housing Neptune alone never mind the rest of the sharks. However as you can see here the roof of the tank is blocked off by these lights. So it definatley didn't open up into a larger area at the top.

Same goes for the bottom of the tank, concerete floor as seen below. So all these sharks had to survive in is this tiny cylinder tank.

--

March 13, 2018 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96
The tank does rather look small from the view but this is really neat to see without the water and sharks. The lights above it even give an eerie effect some. Never noticed that painting in Lisa's dwellings before. Still one of the most tragic stories to me in the RE lore.
--

March 14, 2018 at 10:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Here are some BOW's.

Cerebus

Lisa Trevor real face.

Lisa Trevor Masks.

Tyrant head.

Heart and arm.

Body.

Fat graveyard zombie.

Crimson head elder.

These items came with his texture, any ideas what the metal object is? Perhaps a belt buckle? Maybe the symbol is a clue to his background.

Same again, came with Crimson elder but don't know what this one is.

Hunter.

Chimera.

Plant 42.

More Plant 42.

Zombie 1.

Zombie 2.

Crimson head.

Zombie Forest.

--

March 15, 2018 at 11:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Weskers Report
These skins are amazing. Where did you get them if you donĀ?t mind my asking? Sorry if you already posted in another thread.
March 16, 2018 at 12:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

EvilResident
Lisa's mask/cowl just screams Ed Gein (if you don't know who that is, and you have a strong stomach, look him up). Skin textures spread out like that in an image always bring him to mind too. Anyway, thanks for these BSAArklay.
--
Body Horror Enthusiast
March 16, 2018 at 3:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96
Lisa's skins are the most terrifying out of the bunch for me. Just wow.
--

March 16, 2018 at 7:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Rechic: Haha yeah 3A7 who helped me said the Lisa ones are going to give him nightmares.

Barry

Chris

Forest

Jill

Rebecca

Wesker

Enrico

Richard

Richard's arm

Guy stung by bee's

--

March 16, 2018 at 7:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96
Yeah the Lisa ones are nightmare fuel for sure but get a load of the bee stung guy and Richard's arm. Ouch! Interesting skins of the other STARS members such as Forest, Richard, and Enrico. Never got to see them up this close.
--

March 16, 2018 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

I really like how the biohazard logo is on the tags. Just like the real life products they make.

The only thing that really gets me out of these textures are the wasp stings(I hate anything that flies buzzes and stings) and seeing just how fucked up Richard's arm is.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM

“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

March 16, 2018 at 9:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Weskers Report
My God. These skins are an absolute nightmare to behold.
March 17, 2018 at 12:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Here are some of the environment textures, unfortunatley this was the most dissapointing part about Remake's textures. They are very limited here because most of the environment is fixed into the pre rendered backgrounds.

Moving onto items.

The next batch will be the last.

Here is audio of the conversation between Wesker and Barry, I turned up Wesker's dialogue so you can hear it more clear.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1O2GH8cInT2

--

March 24, 2018 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Thanks again, BSAArklay, for the images! Chuckling at the "El Dorado of the fort of the book" because I did use a gif from the animated movie "El Dorado" on another thread on here, so neat little coincidence there.
Like the clearer resolution on Barry and his family here:

Barry was 35 in RE1 timeline right? Here I think he looks more age appropiate but I always thought he looked older in the game. Just my opinion.
I also like the close ups on the items such as the books, paintings and even the first aid spray. Tried to see if "Cinatiropa" had a special meaning to the name but I didn't find anything.

This one was eerie some:

Also thanks for providing the clearer audio dialouge b/t Barry and Wesker. Look forward to the next images you post.

--

March 24, 2018 at 11:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96
I stand corrected, Barry was 38. Wanted to add that real quick since I goofed there.
--

March 24, 2018 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.