Crimson Head Elder Resident Evil website community

THE CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Resident Evil Tome of Curiosities & Community
Podcast Interviews with the actors  &  developers of Resident Evil

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > George A. Romero Passing

ResiEvilChic99

Sad news today, George A. Romero, the creator of "Night of the Living Dead" franchise and father of horror zombie movies has passed away at the age of 77 after a brief battle with lung cancer. Hearts and condolences to his family and friends during this time.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-george-romero-20170716-story.html

"Romero jump-started the zombie genre as the co-writer (with John A. Russo) and director of the 1968 movie “Night of the Living Dead,” which went to show future generations of filmmakers such as Tobe Hooper and John Carpenter that generating big scares didn’t require big budgets. “Living Dead” spawned an entire school of zombie knockoffs, and Romero’s sequels included 1978’s “Dawn of the Dead,” 1985’s “Day of the Dead,” 2005’s “Land of the Dead,” 2007’s “Diary of the Dead” and 2009’s “George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead.”

Romero also wrote a script for a live film adaptation based on the first Resident Evil game but was rejected and Paul Anderson would go on to direct the live action RE films. 
If not for George A. Romero, I doubt we would even have the Resident Evil game franchise because the impact of the Night of the Living Dead franchise was that huge and still continues to inspire horror films and games today.
Romero's legacy will definitely remain and he will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace to the man who changed the horror film genre.
Feburary 4, 1940-July 16,2017

July 16, 2017 at 6:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

I was doing a post of this.

At least he made two good commercials for RE2.

And at least the original trilogy of the dead, will stay in the history of horror film and documentary social criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDP1ZFg2cvc

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

July 16, 2017 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic99

AvP Ryu at July 16, 2017 at 6:48 PM

I was doing a post of this.

At least he made two good commercials for RE2.

And at least the original trilogy of the dead, will stay in the history of horror film and documentary social criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDP1ZFg2cvc

Oh sorry, I had just heard earlier that he passed and just wanted to do a remembering thread for him. He did direct those commercials for RE2 and did a great job with those. He captured the atmosphere in those commercials rather well! Right you are about his original trilogy going down in history. I might marathon those later in remembrance of him. Might as well go read his script for RE later too.
July 16, 2017 at 7:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

No problem, ResiEvilChic99. He was a good director. It was a pity, that some work was more or less spoiled, because of the studios.

The original Day of the Dead script says it was better than the final film.

And new Trilogy, Land, Diary and Survival of the Dead, were less good, due to studios, did not share the same point of view and budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB8r7IEHA4c

It was a shame that some Trolls are making bad jokes about him, the same ones, who are upset, that in the future we will have a woman doing the doctor who.

Well, that's another story.

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

July 17, 2017 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic99
Dawn of the Dead remains a fave of mine. Yeah I have seen ppl using his death to bring up their hatred of Anderson's work and while I don't care for Anderson's work, this should be a time to reflect on the amazing work George has done for the horror genre. I've also seen ppl still trashing George's script for the first RE movie too, and I'm like "okay we get it,you hated the script but we probably wouldn't have the RE series if it weren't for George and his re2 commercials were pretty good". Yeah I have seen the remarks for the dr who too, I just don't get getting that bent of out of shape over things. Oh well.
July 18, 2017 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.