Crimson Head Elder Resident Evil website community

CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Tome and Community

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Resident Evil Movie Reboot

ResiEvilChic96

According to Variety, it appears a reboot of the live action Resident Evil movies is in the works. Martin Moszkowicz, chairman of the board at Constantin Film, did confirm to Variety at the Cannes Film Festival that a reboot is in development at the giant German production company, which owns rights to the franchise and has produced all of its installments.

I wonder if this means we'll get a more faithful adaptation of the series since it appears unclear if Anderson will be involved in it. He is working on an live action adaptation for Monster Hunster, another franchise of Capcom, at the moment. I don't  think I can see the characters being accurately portrayed in live adaptations which is why I think I would prefer the established characters to remain in the CGI film adaptations, with those being canon especially. However I would't mind a live action or CGI film adaptation of some of the back stories of RE, such as George Trevor and his family. Through George's eyes that is with first meeting Spencer and his and his family's horrific fate at Spencer's Estate. Like even a mini-series of that would be cool in my opinion. Like it or not, Anderson's films did make  some money and I think Capcom is going to want to keep the live films going. 

May 21, 2017 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

We are talking about Constantin here, a studio that since it opened it's doors 50 years ago have never really made a classic film. Possibly with the exception of Never Ending Story if you like that (I dont). The same studio that has made arguably the worst superhero movies to date (Fantastic Four) and a bunch of crappy movies based on teen romance novels. Resident Evil is their biggest success financially. Everything they have ever touched seem's to have turned to shit. I hold out no hope for this series so long as it remains within their clapse.

The absolute best we can hope for? A movie similar to George Romero's script. A cheesy, b-movie action horror movie. Pretty similar to the first live action RE that we actually got. There is a silver lining here. It cannot get any worse. Unless Uwe Boll signs on of course.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

May 21, 2017 at 7:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

BSAArklay at May 21, 2017 at 7:42 PM

We are talking about Constantin here, a studio that since it opened it's doors 50 years ago have never really made a classic film. Possibly with the exception of Never Ending Story if you like that (I dont). The same studio that has made arguably the worst superhero movies to date (Fantastic Four) and a bunch of crappy movies based on teen romance novels. Resident Evil is their biggest success financially. Everything they have ever touched seem's to have turned to shit. I hold out no hope for this series so long as it remains within their clapse.

The absolute best we can hope for? A movie similar to George Romero's script. A cheesy, b-movie action horror movie. Pretty similar to the first live action RE that we actually got. There is a silver lining here. It cannot get any worse. Unless Uwe Boll signs on of course.

It's  not like the games have such a great stories themselves(aside from CV best story ever, 2 and maaaaybe 4 which is nice cheap european horror film). They might surprise us all. 

Then again in a world where Furious 8, a movie with no script, plot you can tell from a mile away and a story that basically ends with to be continued makes a bazillion dollars what hope is there

May 22, 2017 at 3:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

I have to disagree with your opening statement. I think the Resident Evil games tell some of the greatest story's in video game history. RE1 although basic some of the greatest storys ever told are quite simpistic. It is still a fantastic and enthralling story. RE3 has an amazing story its just that alot of it is background material but it is easily accessible nowadays. RE2 and 4 are some of my least favourite story's so it's funny how you find those the best. Code we agree on. Resident Evil 5 one of the best most in detail stories in the entire series. It turned the timeline from a few pages to a whole book! The amount of effort that went into that game is astounding. RE6 and 7 yes those are tragic, downright cliche, recycled garbage. Both Revelations games also tell excellent stories. As do other spin off's such as Dead Aim, Survivor, Chronicles and Outbreak. There are not many other series out there (video games) that tell such an in depth and lengthy story. Trust me I've looked. Any one of those games if replicated truthfully would make a fantastic movie. I just don't think Hollywood has enough talent or dedication to pull it off. It is cheaper and easier to just dumb them down. What's worse is, why wouldn't they?

Like you already stated the Fast n Furious movies have sold millions as well did the original Live Action movies. If people are going to accept a shit sandwhich why would you put in the effort to make them a steak sandwhich?

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

May 22, 2017 at 12:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

Alexia is the Best ever female Villain and she makes RE great.

Good now that I've locked my somewhat biased opinion in a corner I'm not planning to mention Alexia again in this post. I like Rev2 too but I think it's a mini me version of CV. Alfred's games against battle royale, Claire, Blonde villainess, mutations, Kafka for that (meh) classical touch, both Alex and that other blonde try to escape their tragic fate..Only rev 2 got worse music, and worse story that ends with the dumb "everyone wins" thing so what's the point?.

Thing is the rest fo the games are just not as good story wise. I agree with you on the world and the details they put in there, it's well built but in my opinion, it's not very interesting. Like I don't like 5 much, to me it has this generic meh superhero plot but it also got Wesker, Jill, Spencer, so if you love RE love I can see why you think it's great.

I love horror films at Cinemageddon level and i've seen quite a ton,  so what I'm looking for in horror games is that unique edge, that extra mile of a story that can transcend the medium and not bore me with something i've seen before. . CV is one such game but I can't say any other RE game made me feel like that, despite the nice world building and detailed lore.

I prefer Silent Hill over RE. I'm no expert on Silent Hill lore, but they are so unique. SH2 is the second best game of all time in my opinion with an amazing, touching story. SH4 is such a dark and horrifying game, and SH homecoming while the gameplay itself is bad the backstory is great and goes to great lengths of terror.  which are rare for video games. I look at the new Vendetta film and i can't help it's the real RE8, every cliche is there downright to a blonde Villain and a mansion scene is there!

May 22, 2017 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

More details are leaking out on the Resident Evil franchise reboot. James Wan has come aboard to produce the first of the Resident Evil reboots from a script by Greg Russo, and we're hearing and it will have an entirely new cast. Russo wrote Mortal Kombat and Wan is known for producing the box office coups Lights Out, Annabelle and Saw, to name a few."

May 22, 2017 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

I am suprised to hear that Sarahly. I guess I like my horror more to the point. I do like psychological stuff like Silent Hill, The Shining and so on but I much prefer things with a simple plot but very classy and well thought out like The Thing, Evil Dead and so on.

REChic keep this news coming, great work. I have to admit I am abit taken back by this one. James Wan while there are a few flops in his resume I have to admit I do enjoy most of his movies. Saw (The original only), Dead Silence, Insidious Trilogy, The Conjuring Duology and Lights Out are all great films. He actually wrote most of those and directed. I wish he was writing the Resident Evil movie I would have alot more faith. Because he has produced some crap. Fingers crossed that Vera Farmiga shows up in a role because she is a fantastic actress who has worked with James Wan before.

This Greg Russo guy is largley unknown he is just alleged to have written a Mortal Kombat script. They must see something in the guy to hand him two well known franchises with little to no experience. Kinda weird.

--

May 22, 2017 at 7:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Interesting Greg Russo wrote on the Mortal Kombat reboot and Anderson had directed the '95 film version. It's almost like coming full circle or something like that anyway.

Milla was apparently surprised to hear the news that the movies were being rebooted:

"I think a lot of people with these franchises kind of put the cart before the horse,” Jovovich said. “There’s a danger to that. They’ve been wanting to reboot Resident Evil for a long time, and listen: I love the Resident Evil world. I think it’s a great property, I would do it if I was a producer. I think what made Resident Evil so special is that the people involved really loved what they’re doing and really were fans of the game. I would suggest that you find people that have that same passion for the property before you talk about reboots. I think if you get into this kind of genre, people are very sensitive to fakes. There’s some real fans in the sci-fi/action/horror world, and they’re not idiots. They can smell when something is done because people love it and when something is done just to monetize an opportunity.”

Milla, you've had your run, let someone else give this a try. 

May 22, 2017 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

ResiEvilChic96 at May 22, 2017 at 11:32 PM

Interesting Greg Russo wrote on the Mortal Kombat reboot and Anderson had directed the '95 film version. It's almost like coming full circle or something like that anyway.
Milla was apparently surprised to hear the news that the movies were being rebooted: "“I think a lot of people with these franchises kind of put the cart before the horse,” Jovovich said. “There’s a danger to that. They’ve been wanting to reboot Resident Evil for a long time, and listen: I love the Resident Evil world. I think it’s a great property, I would do it if I was a producer. I think what made Resident Evil so special is that the people involved really loved what they’re doing and really were fans of the game. I would suggest that you find people that have that same passion for the property before you talk about reboots. I think if you get into this kind of genre, people are very sensitive to fakes. There’s some real fans in the sci-fi/action/horror world, and they’re not idiots. They can smell when something is done because people love it and when something is done just to monetize an opportunity.” 
Milla, you've had your run,let someone else give this a try. 

"What made Reisdent Evil so special is that the people involved really loved what they're doing and were fans of the games" 

"I would suggest that you find people that have the same passion for the property before you talk about reboots"

"PEOPLE ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO FAKES, THERE'S SOME REAL FANS IN THE HORROR WORLD AND THEY'RE NOT IDIOTS, THEY CAN SMELL WHEN SOMETHING IS DONE BECAUSE PEOPLE LOVE IT AND WHEN SOMETHNG IS DONE JUST TO monetize ON OPPORTUNITY.

I like some of Milla's films but here she comes ooff as either the dumbest person on the face of planet earth or the most cynical one. Yes fans can smell money loveing capitalists which is why we hate your stupid "Resident Evil" films. 

May 23, 2017 at 12:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Lol she is either being sarcastic or is a walking talking contradiction. I take it they have never visited a Resident Evil forum in their lives.
--

May 23, 2017 at 8:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

Nope. But during the beginning of the filming RE: Retribution, the twitter of Milla was attacked by angry fans of the games, both the RE and Dino crisis. Alice's clothing was accused of stealing the Dino Crisis regina.

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

May 23, 2017 at 7:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

AvpRyu in that PU link you posted there are two scripts by a Ryan Gallant? The only thing I can find online under that name is a pro skateboarder? Can you shed some light on this guy and his scripts? Thanks.

--

May 24, 2017 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

think Ryan Gallant's scripts are unofficial. They are fanmade and make references from Perry's novels.

You can read it at http://www.simplyscripts.com.

Some time ago I tried to post all the onlien scripts of RE, but George Trevor wanted to erase before giving no apparent explanation.

--

May 24, 2017 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Ah I wouldn't know about that. Id have loved to have seen that post.
--

May 24, 2017 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CC

AvP Ryu at May 24, 2017 at 5:20 PM

think Ryan Gallant's scripts are unofficial. They are fanmade and make references from Perry's novels.

You can read it at http://www.simplyscripts.com.

Some time ago I tried to post all the onlien scripts of RE, but George Trevor wanted to erase before giving no apparent explanation.

GT and many others vehemently dislike the Perry novels. Some feel they are perhaps a little too flippant and/or simplistic. I've read them. They aren't anything spectacular. 

May 24, 2017 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
They aren't as bad as people make them out to be either though. They are caught up in the misfortune of being 'cool' to dislike them. I know people that dislike them and haven't even read them. It's a bunch of non canon crap if you ask me. They are fun retellings that should not be taken seriously especially since they came out so long ago. People getting mad about timeline errors when there was no timeline. Cmon.
--

May 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

I found the link with all of Ryan's scripts including BH3.

https://tactilefilms.wordpress.com/downloads/

--

May 24, 2017 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Great stuff. Thanks AVP! Il check these out and get back to you.
--

May 24, 2017 at 8:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy
What is the importance of the scripts?. Being unofficial makes them useless, no?. Like after reading the second script you posted id gladly take it over every live action or CG film we had so far, but it's just a fan project
--

May 25, 2017 at 3:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Well originally I was interested because I thought this was a lost screenwriters script. However it doesn't really make a difference to me wether its official or not. Why would anyone sit through those crappy live action movies? But they still do it. Just reading material is all. I also like the fact that he based them on the SD Perry novels and focused on building characterization. I said it before and I will say it again 'Any fan could write a better movie than Paul Anderson' and here is the proof.

--

May 25, 2017 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.