Crimson Head Elder Resident Evil website community

CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Tome and Community

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > The timeline of Resident Evil 7

George Trevor
Site Owner

I agree with NEMESIS regarding the scene with the Bakers in terms of its genuine emotion and not feeling any comical value. Where is the comedy? You might find it ludicrous, I definitly find it jarring as it had no actual place in the narrative, the scene just being a vehicle for the developer to represent the Baker's in their pre-infected state; I found it helped me connect with these characeters futher and it was valuable to that emotional connection to see Jack interact with Evie's victims without Evie's interfearance. I applaud the deveoper for this scene, it layered more dimensions onto the Baker's and their relationship with each other as we now have a reference for their normality, we can place them as nomal people like ourselves, who were victims. not antagonists created from their own misadventure with dodgy substances.

I completely agree with a point made by SarahLy that I also hadn't considered myself, that Evie is neither an antagonist/villain; she's effectively as much a victim as the Baker's. And a victim of whom? Well yeah, this is one of the criticisms of RE7 that I consider legitamate, unlike most of the criticisms I read & hear. To not put the organisation responsible for Evie centre stage and represented more personally in the game with an iconic, memroable, and importantly series continuing antagonist, was an inescusable failure by Capcom, in what still is a wonderful game, strong & quality return of the series to survival horror.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

February 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

George Trevor at February 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM

I agree with NEMESIS regarding the scene with the Bakers in terms of its genuine emotion and not feeling any comical value. Where is the comedy? You might find it ludicrous, I definitly find it jarring as it had no actual place in the narrative, the scene just being a vehicle for the developer to represent the Baker's in their pre-infected state; I found it helped me connect with these characeters futher and it was valuable to that emotional connection to see Jack interact with Evie's victims without Evie's interfearance. I applaud the deveoper for this scene, it layered more dimensions onto the Baker's and their relationship with each other as we now have a reference for their normality, we can place them as nomal people like ourselves, who were victims. not antagonists created from their own misadventure with dodgy substances.

I completely agree with a point made by SarahLy that I also hadn't considered myself, that Evie is neither an antagonist/villain; she's effectively as much a victim as the Baker's. And a victim of whom? Well yeah, this is one of the criticisms of RE7 that I consider legitamate, unlike most of the criticisms I read & hear. To not put the organisation responsible for Evie centre stage and represented more personally in the game with an iconic, memroable, and importantly series continuing antagonist, was an inescusable failure by Capcom, in what still is a wonderful game, strong & quality return of the series to survival horror.

Try to go the extra mile and think about the Bakers too. Yeah okay they are 'normal people like ourselves' but they were turned into monsters by the most random chain of events ever the history of video games....like the odds are zero to trillion and even for a video game that's too much.  Also how could you connect with them?..on what basis?....pity?..sorrow?..come on. They are "ok" villains i guess just because they give you nice cheap scares  but once you find out they are actually kind hearted rednecks it kills them for me. So yes i felt sorrow, sorrow for the 60$ i wasted on this game.

Plus yes, that scene is god awful because as i said, they try to shove the tears down our throats, make us cry and pity the Bakers on command and it's so obvious and it's done in such a cheap way....they clearly don't respect us the players at all.   It's been done to death in so many movies and games(FF15 anyone?) so it just doesn't work, especially when it destroys the already paper thin and dumb as hell story the game had up until that point.

February 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

I'll give an example of something similiar from FF15, if you haven't played it and want to, better if you ignore this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ04HzTOJMA

Okay so in FF15 you go on a roadtrip with 3 friends blah blah blah, you are a price and you are supposed to marry a princess. You spend the entire game trying to find her but you never actually meet her in person, that is because  the main villain kills her(..what the ). Now we the players know that she's gone  but Noctis the guy we play as doesn't find out about it until that scene where they "meet" in limbo or whatever after she's already dead. 1:15 is the highlight of this mess and "cheap" is the keyword.

Now go watch the Bakers scene again and tell me it's not cheap or that it's done with care and compassion, i dare you :)

February 26, 2017 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Just saw TheBatman posted this translated timeline of the Biohazard 7 Kaitai Shinsho at Biohaze. Special thanks to TheBatman for the information. 

TIMELINE

2000: - ‘mysterious organisation’ started developing biological weapons that dominate the consciousness of others with technical assistance from H.C.F.

Early 2000s: - The mysterious organisation successfully create ‘Evelyn’, the first of the E-type subjects. She is the completed form of the biological weapon.

2010: - Mia is hired as a researcher by the mysterious organisation.

2011: - Ethan and Mia get married. Mia tells Ethan she works for a trade organisation.

2014: - Chris Redfield and his investigation team close in on the European headquarters of the mysterious organisation. The organisation decide to transfer Evelyn to Central America.

2014/10: - Advisors Mia and Alan transfer Evelyn on a private LNG tanker. The ship is wrecked when Evelyn escapes.

Evelyn and Mia drift into the bayou in Southern Louisiana. Mia loses her memory of the period where she worked for the mysterious organisation and further undergoes control by Evelyn.

Evelyn and Mia are rescued and protected by the Baker family.

Evelyn controls the Baker family.

Evelyn begins to abduct travellers and homeless people using members of the Baker family.

2015/01: - Lucas is freed from Evelyn’s rule thanks to the mysterious organisation. After that he observes Evelyn whilst pretending to be dominated and keeps in contact with the mysterious organisation.

2015:- Peter and Andre form ‘Sewer Gators’ and begin internet distribution and programs dealing with urban legends and occult related rumours.

2015/11: - Because Evelyn’s control over Mia is unstable she is confined to the abandoned house of the Baker estate.

2016/09: - Evelyn starts to rapidly begin aging.

2017/06/01: - Peter, Andre and Clancy of ‘Sewer Gators’ visit the abandoned house on the Baker estate.

2017/06/02: - Clancy is made to enter Lucas’ ‘death game’ challenge.

2017/06/09: - Louisiana State Police begin searching for the three missing people of ‘Sewer Gators’. Pete, Andre and Clancy.

2017/07/18: - Evelyn hurts Mia and sends an e-mail to Ethan calling him to the Baker house.

2017/07/19: - Ethan visits the Baker estate to find Mia.

2017/07/20: - Ethan destroys Evelyn and is protected by Chris Redfield.

GLOSSARY:

Chris Redfield: - One of the first generation protagonists of ‘biohazard’. He often appears as the hero in later series titles and also shows up in the ending of this work.

Albert-01, Albert-01R: - A handgun and its replica used in the game against Evelyn. It seems that its name is attached to Albert Wesker, Chris’ former enemy.

S.T.A.R.S.: - Stands for Special Tactics and Rescue Service which was the Special Forces team belonging to the Raccoon City Police Department. The commander at the time was Albert Wesker and both the Albert-01 and Albert-01R are engraved with the three star arrangement symbol of ‘S.T.A.R.S.’ and the ‘R.P.D. Special Team.’

Umbrella: - A pharmaceutical company that was secretly developing viruses for military use. A helicopter with the company name UMBRELLA CORPORATION appears in the ending of this work. But the symbol mark seems to be different in colour and design from the previous one…?

H.C.F.: - A mysterious organisation originally hostile to Umbrella. According to the ‘Research Report’ which can be read in the storage room of the waste mine on B3, this organisation seems to have cooperated in the development of a specific bacterium.

Raccoon City: - Industrial city that became the stage for the first generation three ‘Biohazard’ titles. In a magazine placed in the sleeping quarters on the 2F of the tanker, survivors of Raccoon City are featured.

Arklay Mountains: - Title of the landscape painting adjourning the hall of the main building 1F. Arklay is a mountainous area on the outskirts of Raccoon City and the place where a mansion was set up as the stage for the very first ‘Biohazard’.

Trevor and Chamberlain Architectural Design Office: - An office developing the projectors and special doors that can be found in the main building and the attic on 3F. Was George Trevor who designed the mansion from the first ‘Biohazard’ involved?

Clive O’Brian: - Person commanding the B.S.A.A. (anti-bioterrorism force) at the time of the Queen Zenobia incident as told in ‘Biohazard Revelations’. In the living room of the main building on 1F there is a book written by him called ‘The Revealed Abyss.’

Cindy: - A trophy and achievement by avoiding and crouching down from Jack’s big scissor attacks. Cindy is the name of the character from ‘Biohazard Outbreak’ who could crouch and dodge enemy attacks.

Ethan is 33 years old.

Mia 32.

Jack 55.

Marguerite 53.

Lucas 25.

Zoe 23.

David Anderson 31.

Alan Droney 53.

Peter Walken 43.

Andre 36.

Clancy 35.

April 7, 2017 at 11:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ResiEvilChic96

Just adding these tidbits from cvxfreak on that same thread TheBatMan made:

Other tidbits:

- Ethan is a System Engineer living in Los Angeles
- Lucas has been fascinated with electrical circuitry/electric boards since his childhood, hence his ability to rig such traps
- Alan had been posing as Mia's husband on the ship

Special thanks to cvxfreak for those tidbits.

April 8, 2017 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.