Crimson Head Elder Resident Evil website community

THE CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Resident Evil Tome of Curiosities & Community
Podcast Interviews with the actors  &  developers of Resident Evil

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > The timeline of Resident Evil 7

George Trevor
Site Owner

I agree with NEMESIS regarding the scene with the Bakers in terms of its genuine emotion and not feeling any comical value. Where is the comedy? You might find it ludicrous, I definitly find it jarring as it had no actual place in the narrative, the scene just being a vehicle for the developer to represent the Baker's in their pre-infected state; I found it helped me connect with these characeters futher and it was valuable to that emotional connection to see Jack interact with Evie's victims without Evie's interfearance. I applaud the deveoper for this scene, it layered more dimensions onto the Baker's and their relationship with each other as we now have a reference for their normality, we can place them as nomal people like ourselves, who were victims. not antagonists created from their own misadventure with dodgy substances.

I completely agree with a point made by SarahLy that I also hadn't considered myself, that Evie is neither an antagonist/villain; she's effectively as much a victim as the Baker's. And a victim of whom? Well yeah, this is one of the criticisms of RE7 that I consider legitamate, unlike most of the criticisms I read & hear. To not put the organisation responsible for Evie centre stage and represented more personally in the game with an iconic, memroable, and importantly series continuing antagonist, was an inescusable failure by Capcom, in what still is a wonderful game, strong & quality return of the series to survival horror.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

February 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

George Trevor at February 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM

I agree with NEMESIS regarding the scene with the Bakers in terms of its genuine emotion and not feeling any comical value. Where is the comedy? You might find it ludicrous, I definitly find it jarring as it had no actual place in the narrative, the scene just being a vehicle for the developer to represent the Baker's in their pre-infected state; I found it helped me connect with these characeters futher and it was valuable to that emotional connection to see Jack interact with Evie's victims without Evie's interfearance. I applaud the deveoper for this scene, it layered more dimensions onto the Baker's and their relationship with each other as we now have a reference for their normality, we can place them as nomal people like ourselves, who were victims. not antagonists created from their own misadventure with dodgy substances.

I completely agree with a point made by SarahLy that I also hadn't considered myself, that Evie is neither an antagonist/villain; she's effectively as much a victim as the Baker's. And a victim of whom? Well yeah, this is one of the criticisms of RE7 that I consider legitamate, unlike most of the criticisms I read & hear. To not put the organisation responsible for Evie centre stage and represented more personally in the game with an iconic, memroable, and importantly series continuing antagonist, was an inescusable failure by Capcom, in what still is a wonderful game, strong & quality return of the series to survival horror.

Try to go the extra mile and think about the Bakers too. Yeah okay they are 'normal people like ourselves' but they were turned into monsters by the most random chain of events ever the history of video games....like the odds are zero to trillion and even for a video game that's too much.  Also how could you connect with them?..on what basis?....pity?..sorrow?..come on. They are "ok" villains i guess just because they give you nice cheap scares  but once you find out they are actually kind hearted rednecks it kills them for me. So yes i felt sorrow, sorrow for the 60$ i wasted on this game.

Plus yes, that scene is god awful because as i said, they try to shove the tears down our throats, make us cry and pity the Bakers on command and it's so obvious and it's done in such a cheap way....they clearly don't respect us the players at all.   It's been done to death in so many movies and games(FF15 anyone?) so it just doesn't work, especially when it destroys the already paper thin and dumb as hell story the game had up until that point.

February 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

I'll give an example of something similiar from FF15, if you haven't played it and want to, better if you ignore this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ04HzTOJMA

Okay so in FF15 you go on a roadtrip with 3 friends blah blah blah, you are a price and you are supposed to marry a princess. You spend the entire game trying to find her but you never actually meet her in person, that is because  the main villain kills her(..what the ). Now we the players know that she's gone  but Noctis the guy we play as doesn't find out about it until that scene where they "meet" in limbo or whatever after she's already dead. 1:15 is the highlight of this mess and "cheap" is the keyword.

Now go watch the Bakers scene again and tell me it's not cheap or that it's done with care and compassion, i dare you :)

February 26, 2017 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.