Crimson Head Elder Resident Evil website community

CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Tome and Community

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > BIRKIN'S LABORATORY > Chinese Code Veronica comics

SarahLy

Hello everyone. Code Veronica is my favorite game and I do love the comics that came from China, it's not perfect but it's way better than the novel(sorry SD!). I visited the RE wiki the other day and found out that originally there are 18 much shorter volumes to the comics instead of the 4 we got. No big deal, bigger=better right?

In the wiki they only have the 17th & 18th volumes online and I suddenly noticed that in Chinese there's a LOT more text than the American version. At first I figured maybe that's because it's Chinese and all but nope, but I had to check just to be sure. So after I obtained the other volumes and had my friend semi-translate five selected pages it turns out that not only is there a lot more text and a bit more artwork, but the plot is somewhat different(!) and in the American version there are text  bubbles that do not exist in the Chinese version at all because of this! Sounds wacky but look at this link to the comic source

Photos 1 and 2: Don't appear in the American version. I guess it's because they wanted to end the shorter volumes with a bang, but still Alexia is talking so that's part of the story. No idea what she's saying though.

Photos 3 and 4: More text in the Chinese version, and  Alred doesn't say a word. Text talks among other things about Alexia walking step by step, slowly, and seeing her brother before her.

photos 5 and 6: I have no idea what the text actually says, but notice how Chris doesn't talk and there's a lot more scenery (allegedly) text.

Photos 7 and 8: VERY interesting in that the text is not quite the same. Where Alexia says "he's a man and that's my favorite text subject" regarding Steve, she's actually telling Claire that there's someone else coming to the island and she'll have more fun playing with him because he's muscular. Unlike the American Version she doesn't know by that point that Chris is Claire's brother but she noticed Claire's outburst and came to that conclusion. What Outburst?. Notice that in the panel where Alexia says in the American version "and you know what, Claire?", it's actually CLAIRE who's talking in the Chinese version! She states "What man!, what are you talking about?!" and following that on the last Chinese panel, Alexia says "my oh my..Why are you so nervous?....ah, I understand now!"

Photos 9 and 10: Alexia is meaner. She tells Chris to hurry up and find Claire soon or he'll only find a corpse, and in the end she's saying he's not worthy of fighting her, yet before the giant spider comes. And of course, the first panel where she says "you're CHRIS!" instead of "your sister's fine... for now" which means that the page before doesn't have the same text either.

12 and 13: Chinese version has more art and story, basically saying "oh Alexia is such a monster, look what she did!" thus giving more insight on her and setting the mood for the battles ahead.

14 and 15: Alexia doesn't say "I will rule the world" but actually she's telling Chris to come out and there's no use in hiding. In the next page notice how in Chinese he doesn't say a word unlike his American "I had enough"!. Rather the text says that he's been found... So Chris is not as macho in the Chinese version. Plus, Alexia comes off slightly more wicked laughing as she's telling Chris that his sister is probably a corpse by now.

I'm not sure if there's anything really important in the grand context of RE here, it's a comic and based off the original CV and not CVX. So far it feels like a super extended and slightly darker version of the American edition.

I only looked at a few random pages that feature Alexia because she's my favorite but who knows what else is there? So I'd love to get a full 100% accurate translation of this manga now, but I want it to look and sound exacly how it should be so my friend won't cut it for this job.  If anyone knows someone that's doing translation works on something like this and is hungry for $$$ point me to them :)

December 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

First class research SarahLy I am very intrigued by this, as a huge fan of the translated four volume graphic novel publication from Hing Kong, I have long wondered if the greater numbers of the original Chinese comic editions provided extra content. I thought (on good advice) that there was no such additional content, but it seems you've unearthed more than just a few minor anomolies; these extra/alternate lines are significant and could be the tip of the iceberg for this narrative to have further new information for non-Chinese speaking readers! I'll send out feelers for a Chinese translator, as this is not the only Resident Evil comic that has potential canon significant information as yet hidden from the community.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

January 4, 2017 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

This is yet another example of the localization taking a strong female character and watering her down for a western audeince. Alexia's portrayal thru the first run of Chinese comics is much closer to her character in CV, she is chillingly wicked to those that threaten her domination. She is highly intelligent and I think this is missed by the errors in the translated 4 issue run. These discepancies show again that Alexia has been misunderstoood and poorly represented. Kudos to you SarahLy for alerting us to the differences in the English translation. Any research that sheds light on Alexia Ashford character brings the fans closer to the intended experience and helps to understand their true intentions when dealing with these multi-layered antagonists.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

January 5, 2017 at 7:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Morpheus Duvall

James Marcus at January 5, 2017 at 7:24 AM

This is yet another example of the localization taking a strong female character and watering her down for a western audeince. Alexia's portrayal thru the first run of Chinese comics is much closer to her character in CV, she is chillingly wicked to those that threaten her domination. She is highly intelligent and I think this is missed by the errors in the translated 4 issue run. These discepancies show again that Alexia has been misunderstoood and poorly represented. Kudos to you SarahLy for alerting us to the differences in the English translation. Any research that sheds light on Alexia Ashford character brings the fans closer to the intended experience and helps to understand their true intentions when dealing with these multi-layered antagonists.

so us fans fed incorrect information by reading the NTSC localized files can now look forward to the official comic featuring an Alexia Ashford created by a translator's fan fiction! Please update this thread with any more discepancies that your translator uncovers.

--

Establishing a kingdom where beauty has absolute authority is the dream which I must make a reality.

January 5, 2017 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

16-19 Alexia speaks in the red text, saying "Your chat is so heartwarming... i just can't stand it anymore!"  against a "WHRRRR" in the American Version.  In return she speaks in two extra panels in the American Version, but note how it's not the same text  Also She also tells Claire that she(Claire) is next instead of "Jealous, Claire?, and more.

20-21 Notice the flavor text when Alexia shows up..it's not there in the American version. Plus, when we get close up on the weapon it says "With this, they might stand a chance against Alexia!" instead of "2 man lock"

This will be it for now,  it's EVERYWHERE so it's kind of pointless to try and keep up.  For an example of just how much flavor is added check vol 18 at the RE wiki, look at the final battle. TONS of Chinese text against nothing in the American Version. For discepancies there are much more than the ones i posted. When Alexia wakes up, when she talks to Claire for the first time, when she sees Chris on the screens for the first time there's text that reads "If only Alexia knew that this man on the screen is Clarie's brother, she'd be happier" etc etc.

--

January 5, 2017 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Wenpei Mao

I have Vol. 1, 2, and 8 of the Chinese version of Code Veronica. Maybe I can help. I also speak Chinese too. Are you guys sure that it is 18 volumes? I can check again but Vol. 8 is the ending. I think that I have a rebounded edition, but I cannot be sure.:P

--

January 8, 2017 at 11:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

Alan Wenpei Mao at January 8, 2017 at 11:59 PM

I have Vol. 1, 2, and 8 of the Chinese version of Code Veronica. Maybe I can help. I also speak Chinese too. Are you guys sure that it is 18 volumes? I can check again but Vol. 8 is the ending. I think that I have a rebounded edition, but I cannot be sure.:P

There are 18 volumes of 30+- pages each, i 'have' them all.(i physically own books two three and four of the American comics so that's okay!...:))  yours must be a newer edition :)

If you can, please go over some of the most glaring things i have posted and tell us if it's accurate, not word for word but things like Alexia saying in English "i will RULE THE WORLD(dun dun dun!) against her Chinese "Come out!, there's no use hiding"

--

January 9, 2017 at 2:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

William Birkin

Original official release of BH0/BH2/BH3/BHCV is Hong Kong, Chineese other release ar not official, be careful if you buy some.
US release of CV by wildstorm is official too of course.

I have at least (because each issue have 1 or more variant covers) one issue of each HK BH series (BH0/BH2/BH3/BH3 extended/BHCV), but since i don't speak Chineese i can't help :/
I collect them all, seems impossible to have all variant covers (some issues have 3 variants covers, a collector's nightmare...), i have more than 200 covers including all series now.

You can see most of the ones i own here
http://birkinslab.com/hkcomicsmenu.html

Maybe those translations were changed too because of the mature content, in HK for example BH2 series was 18+ on the cover !
With he same texts, maybe it couldn't have been sold in the US ?

i'm really curious about all changes you can find :)

--

My collection http://birkinslab.com/collection.html

January 11, 2017 at 11:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

At least on the second part(no idea what happens before Alexia awakens),  i feel that the changes were made because otherwise the story wouldn't make any sense. Like the comics is creative and not that loyal to the game  as it is with Alexia being adult when she goes to sleep, Alexia talking after her mutation, Alexia having a much bigger role in the story, Claire and Steve <3 story is more prominent etc, but thats okay because they needed to sell 18 volumes :)

But, with how things are in the Chinese version..it's going too extreme. I'm only talking about Alexia but things may be different everywhere I.E in chris vs wesker, that flashback chris has, part 1 with Alfred, Chris and Claire etc etc, i have no idea what's going on in these parts, still waiting for GT to bring in some Chinese translation .but regarding Alexia..some things i haven't talked about before:

1. Cold as ice when she awakens and in her treatment of Alfred. there's no lullaby in the comics but in the American version she says "he wasn't perfect but still important to me..you will pay!" In the Chinese version not only we are told she is emotionless as she wakes up(unlike "a sister worries) but she tells Claire "Why would i want to take revenge?..that's not why i'm doing this to you at all!, i want' to see the reaction when a person sees someone they love beaten to death beore her eyes". Somewhat going DSC on us.

2. Talks about a ' new game is about to begin' after she chains up claire instead of "i'm setting a trap hahah" and again after Chris goes to find Claire near the end, "the game has reached it's final stage" instead of "i'll see you later"

3 She's telling Chris "Shut up, i'm asking the questions here!" when they meet before the spider, that's not very British of her!

So, yeah, i feel that  it's both to tone down the mature themes and to keep things in line with the game.

January 14, 2017 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Wenpei Mao

I took a look at SarahLy english translations for the Chinese Code Veronica and I think that the translations are spot on. The tone of the original Chinese comics is definitely more mature and serious than the American comics.

--

May 10, 2017 at 10:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

Alan Wenpei Mao at May 10, 2017 at 10:11 PM

I took a look at SarahLy english translations for the Chinese Code Veronica and I think that the translations are spot on. The tone of the original Chinese comics is definitely more mature and serious than the American comics.

Thanks for taking the time to confirm it :)

--

May 11, 2017 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

I can't thank you enough Alan for taking the time to look over these translations. I have to ask, would you be interested in a translation commission for the site?

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

July 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

George Trevor at July 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM

I can't thank you enough Alan for taking the time to look over these translations. I have to ask, would you be interested in a translation commission for the site?

I second this. Would love to get a translation of these.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

July 5, 2017 at 9:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Wenpei Mao

I think that may be a great idea, but there might be a problem. I only have the Chinese version's Vol.1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 18. If I could make a translation, I only have a portion of the manga.

--

August 2, 2017 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

Alan Wenpei Mao at August 2, 2017 at 3:55 PM

I think that may be a great idea, but there might be a problem. I only have the Chinese version's Vol.1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 18. If I could make a translation, I only have a portion of the manga.

http://imgur.com/a/uGBOP

Where is Biohazard going?!

I got all the volumes in zip files. The forums where i got them deleted everything but luckily i saved everything, haha

--

August 4, 2017 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Wenpei Mao

That's great. I would like a copy of the rest of the manga then. The copies online have sections cut from the manga. Thank you. :)

--

August 4, 2017 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahLy

https://files.fm/u/kfmzz73z

See if the quality is good and if everything is ok, if it is..well i don't know how this is going to go lol or what CHE is planning to do 

--

August 5, 2017 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

Alan Wenpei Mao at August 4, 2017 at 5:14 PM

That's great. I would like a copy of the rest of the manga then. The copies online have sections cut from the manga. Thank you. :)

Please get this translation done for the site, I have already sent a pm to the moderator asking to make this a priority. I am still reeling from the revelation that my 4 set US edition has many missing cells - if that has now been confirmed true?

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

August 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command

NEMESIS at August 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Alan Wenpei Mao at August 4, 2017 at 5:14 PM

Please get this translation done for the site, I have already sent a pm to the moderator asking to make this a priority. I am still reeling from the revelation that my 4 set US edition has many missing cells - if that has now been confirmed true?

Yes, that’s true.

As for this whole thing in general, unless the architect says otherwise, I’m giving you guys permission to handle this as you see fit.

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM

“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little of not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

August 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

SarahLy at August 5, 2017 at 2:42 PM

https://files.fm/u/kfmzz73z

See if the quality is good and if everything is ok, if it is..well i don't know how this is going to go lol or what CHE is planning to do 

Hey SarahLy I should have said some time ago your passion for Code: Veronica, in my top 3 Resident Evil games, is wonderful and really great to have expressed at our mansion here, and the staff & residents here must appreciate it as much as I do if they have any love for this game. I tried to find an online resource for all Chinese volumes but failed, is that link you sent Alan Wenpai Mau a .rar file of all of them? If so thank you immensely and I cannot be more excited to work with Alan and you on presenting this translation as a major site feature for the future?

I should also thank SarahLy for kindly sharing some private commisions she has funded for Alexia Ashford artwork in another Residents Canvass thread here. Unfortunately only one upload survived the great Photobucket purge of 2017, please let me know if you would like any assistence uploading replacement HTML from imgur for example.

--

August 9, 2017 at 9:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.