Crimson Head Elder Resident Evil website community

THE CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Resident Evil Tome of Curiosities & Community
Podcast Interviews with the actors  &  developers of Resident Evil

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE SPENCER MANSION > S.D. Perry Exclusive Interview

BSAArklay
Administrator

I just recently began reading the S.D. Perry novels again because it's been a while since I read through them all in order. This got me thinking that there are many questions I would like to ask Stephani. So I managed to get in touch and she was very kind to respond and agree to answer any questions the community may have. I have a whole bunch of questions I would like to ask, which I will gradually add to this topic. I thought I would start the topic now to give everyone a chance to add their questions while I complete mine.

Stephani also agreed to check out the site and has been extremley generous to give us her time. I will leave this thread open untill our next podcast at the end of January, so please dont hesitate to submit your questions!

December 16, 2015 at 11:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

Apart of thanking her for writing great novels to read and get lost in the Resident Evil world (I plan to get extra copies in case those I have get damaged), she did a might fine job writing.

Questions I would have:

1: How did Capcom get a hold of you to commission these stories?

2: Did they provide you much information to go by or did they say to you to fill in some gaps? 

3: Would you think Capcom would ever commission you again to write more books?

I'll think more later.

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

December 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

What was the most difficult novel to write?

Out of all your Resident Evil novels, which one is your favorite one?

Do you think Resident Evil is headed in the right direction?

Were you contacted by Capcom to write the novels or did you contact them?

Are you still a fan of the series?

Are you aware of how badly translated it is?

It's been said you have received exclusive Japanese material from Capcom to help write the novels, would you happen to still have it? How much of it did you use? Anything you didn't use?

How much say did Capcom have in what you could or couldn't do?

Do you like the Hollywood movies?

Do you like the cover of the reprints of your books?

What was the end game plan for Trent? Would he have brought down Umbrella?

Speaking of him, if you still wrote RE novels, what would his views be on the current state of a world of Bio-terrorism?

Your book has been noted for plot holes due to lack of knowledge of the direction the series would take. If you could, would you rewrite them to better fit with the games?

Are you aware that the Japanese version of your novels have illistrations of the characters in them? What's you opinion on them?

Would you be Interested in writing more RE novels? Be it a standalone story or a novalization.

Who was your favorite character to explore?

Did you have ideas for future RE novels that never saw the light of day? If so can you give us the details?

Was anything ever cut from the books? (Characters, ideas, BOWs)

What's is you favorite BOW?

--

Yeah? Well, fuck you too photobucket.

December 16, 2015 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3

My only questions for Stephani are:

Which book in the series did you enjoy writing the most?

Which book proved to be the most challenging creatively?

December 17, 2015 at 4:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Wow this was completely unexpected but much appreciated. I own all the novels but sadly never bothered to read any. My main driving force for buying them back then was I thought they were canon. I was pretty much sold on Caliban Cove alone since I desperately wanted to find out what became of Rebecca. Once I found out they were not canon I kinda just lost my motivation to read them.

Hopefully this reignites my passion for taking the time to read and enjoy them despite following an alternate telling of the events. I still kept all of them in pristine condition.

December 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

You really should give them a go Samurai Edge. When playing the games again I sometimes forget whats canon and whats non canon when it comes to the characters backgrounds and personalitys. Since we are given very little of this information by Capcom SD Perry gives a whole lot more in terms of character personalitys and background. At the end of the day there is canon but that doesn't mean that you can't use your imagination and deleve into the characters and make up your own mind about who they are and what you like about them or in this case use other information wether thats fan fiction or non canon. I love reading these books for that reason it helps make the characters feel more real because I am getting more information I can use to make them more real, just because its non canon doesn't mean you can't use elements of it to help you fill in the bigger picture in your own head.

Another reason I love the books is because unlike some certain movies they do stay true to the games and dont wander to far from the path. Its fun to revisit the Spencer estate or Raccoon City again in your own head. You can use your imagination to put yourself in these enviroments again especially since we all know what they look like. I think SD does a fantastic job of describing the enviroments and knowing exactly where you are.

Seriously I recomend them to anyone who has not read them. If you go into them knowing they are non canon shouldn't mean you still can't enjoy the ride. Just enjoy the book and take from it what you will like myself I have fun imagining about the characters and placing myself in the settings.

December 17, 2015 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

More questions:

1: Did you expect the fans to be excited about these books? (I was when I was young finding out about them, took one to school to read.)

2: What was your inspiration that kept you writing the books? Like, when you had writers block, what did you do to get past it?

3: Out of all the books, which one did you really enjoy writing and which one gave you a headache?

4: Are you still contact with Capcom to this day?

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

December 18, 2015 at 9:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Wenpei Mao

I have some questions.

1. Has Capcom asked if you could write more novels based on the recent games?

2. Have you seen any of the Resident Evil movies and which ones are your favorites?

3. Did Capcom restrict you from covering anything in your novel or did you have a lot of control?

4. Which novel is your favorite and did you have fun writing the novels?:D

December 18, 2015 at 11:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Morpheus Duvall

I wasn't expecting this! An interview with S.D. Perry from a site that prides itself on featuring only canon entries into the series. Does someone on the staff here know something we don't? So my question stems from this debate - what does the author think about the canon issue, was it a concern when she first undertook to write in the RE universe, and does she feel her critics in this debate have been silenced by the recent inclusion into the canon of one of her own book inventions?

--

Establishing a kingdom where beauty has absolute authority is the dream which I must make a reality.

December 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Might just go ahead and start CrimsonElder. I do remember reading several pages of The Umbrella Conspiracy and enjoying it.

December 19, 2015 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Great work CrimsonElder, S.D.Perry very rarely gives interviews regarding her work with Capcom, I know of only one previous interview. I have in the past grouped these novels in the same catagory as the non-official, integrity destroying films by Paul Anderson, which in reflection is not just harsh, it's factualy inaccurate because unlike those attrocious B-movies, the novels do follow the true narrative of the games to a significant extent, and have had standalone original content since confirmed by Capcom as canon. This is the issue I would like to explore with our special guest, and would also like to know of her own Resident Evil background and experiance.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

December 19, 2015 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

SamuraiEdge at December 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Wow this was completely unexpected but much appreciated. I own all the novels but sadly never bothered to read any. My main driving force for buying them back then was I thought they were canon. I was pretty much sold on Caliban Cove alone since I desperately wanted to find out what became of Rebecca. Once I found out they were not canon I kinda just lost my motivation to read them.

Hopefully this reignites my passion for taking the time to read and enjoy them despite following an alternate telling of the events. I still kept all of them in pristine condition.

Resident Evil 0 is one of my favorite games across the entire series and any canon information that extends the background stories of the characters I can't get enough of, so I also excitedly bought Zero Hour and Caliban Cove, only to be hugely disappointed to find out they weren't canon back then. I'm not sure about now though, Caliban Cove could be seen as a continuation of Rebecca's canon now that Capcom have included parts of S.D. Perry's fiction into the official RE timeline. Does anyone who follows these matters closely know what the official status now is for all or some of these novels? Are they all canon, or just the parts that Capcom pick from time to time when it suits them?

S.D. Perry also writes in the science fiction genre for the Aliens, Predetor and Star Trek universes. Which universe does she most enjoy writing for and why, and if the answer is not Resident Evil, why not?!

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

December 19, 2015 at 9:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Thanks for all the questions so far everyone I am really excited about getting the answers and learing about these novels because considering how many times I have read them I know next to nothing about their background.

I noticed that both Morpheus and James have mentioned about elements of the novels being canon? I understand that Barry's wifes name Kathy and Chris's parents dying in a car crash came from these novels. Is this what you are reffering to? I am curious if there is more which is a big reason why I am reading these again now.

December 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

Bl00dy3y3 at December 17, 2015 at 4:49 AM

My only questions for Stephani are:

Which book in the series did you enjoy writing the most?

Which book proved to be the most challenging creatively?

I was going to ask which book proved most difficult to write, and whether it was more of a challenge to write a book which was aligned to one of the main game installments, or an original one which had no direct connection with a game from the series? Was it more enjoyable to write a narrative that you could have complete freedom with?

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

December 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

I absolutely loved her RE and RE3 novel.

1.- Did you ask Capcom if Nicholai died in the game?

2.- Did you have plans to adapt the rest of the games?

3.- What was your end game plan with Trent?

December 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Vito at December 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM

I absolutely loved her RE and RE3 novel.

1.- Did you ask Capcom if Nicholai died in the game?

2.- Did you have plans to adapt the rest of the games?

3.- What was your end game plan with Trent?

Greetings Vito, great to see you here, sorry I have been a stranger recenetly, thanks amigo for your questions, the interview will be presented in January,

December 20, 2015 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vossk

Looking forward to the interview! I loved City of The Dead and Nemesis; but I was underwhelmed with Trent, he was so anticlimactic.

December 20, 2015 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Just an update on the interview.

The thread is coming along great thanks to everyone who has taken part so far. Danelle has been a great sport with us and very kind to give us her time. I have a ton of cool questions for Danelle which I cant wait to read the answers for. I believe that we are leaving the deadline for the questions open until December 23rd upon that date I will be editing them and sending the questions to Danelle so she can get started on her responses. They will then be released as GT mentioned sometime in January. So if you have any questions left in you please try and get them to us by the 23rd.

December 20, 2015 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

More questions, I'll add more if my friends give me them.

Katie asks: Where did that infamous Wesker moment come from? "I've got a hard-on like you wouldn't believe"? That's caused so much controversy in the fandom, where did that come from when she was writing the story?

--

December 21, 2015 at 1:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

I also have a question about that moment Arin. My theory's are that either it is just a line Wesker used to get under Chris's skin being his sister and all. Or the much more sinister Wesker has a thing for Claire simply because she is related to Chris. Almost like how when he kept Jill alive after they where finished with experimenting on her in RE5 just so Chris could witness her on his side and break his heart.

December 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.