CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Resident Evil 2 Remake

BSAArklay
Administrator

So as I can gather from this site most people are against a remake and understandably so I am right there with you. However I do have a glimmer of hope that we could get something half decent. I dont think anyone is expecting this to surpass the orginal. The only thing that concerns me about this project is if it will hurt the canonicity. Anyway moving on, there has been another update on their Facebook page in the past few days and most of you have probably seen it but just incase here it is:

Hello RE fans! This is H again! Right after the RE HD Remaster project was finished, I actually started putting together my ideas for this "RE2 Project". So, I just brushed it up and went to see my boss to present the basic concept of the project already…

So just so I have an idea of people's expectations and what would be acceptable. Would you enjoy something similar to this video?

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

I think something like this would be perfectly acceptable. Obviously they would add new locations, weapons, modes, music and the graphics would be better but something like in that video I think doesnt hurt the original at all. Or are you just flat out against a Remake even if it is on par with the originals Remake or is a good game but just not as good as RE2 original?

August 1, 2015 at 2:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Without meaning to sound harsh and not to knock the effort that has gone into that project, it doesn't look impressive at all and for me epitomises why this remake should never be attempted. Nothing in that video is what Resident Evil 2 is about. 

This is going to be a remake of one of the greatest games of all time. It has to be more than just 'acceptable.'

August 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

I dont think the video embodies the soul of Resident Evil 2 either and that is exactly my point. This Remake could be a great looking game with better gameplay and new interesting plot points however if it doesn't have that IT factor that the orignal had would people still enjoy it?

Revelations 2 was a good game with a decent story and good gameplay with decent graphics however it doesn't matter how hard they try they cannot seem to find that magic that the original games had. It is hard to put your finger on what exactly is different and it might seem petty at times but it is also frustrating as a fan. Is it possible that fixed camera angels and pre rendered backgrounds are not the answer here it is just the production team who are uninsipring?

I agree and even though it is a fan project that video doesn't have the charm of Remake.

August 1, 2015 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

This fan-made remake has looked terrible from the get-go, and I have never been excited about its development, since it is a complete non-starter. It comes across as sterile. The atmosphere needs to be dripping off the game. Therefore, this remake is completely redundant. A perfunctory regurgitation of the original, like what was done with Psycho and The Wicker Man. Interesting as an experiment and commendable the clear level of passion, nonetheless. I would never play this though.

When people got excted about the genesis of this project a couple of years ago, I knew it would be tepid. A successful remake of RE2 could only be executed by (the right people at) Capcom (particularly because elements like the cut-scenes and the soundtrack would require the funding and scope of an established developer). I don't expect that Capcom will necessarily be able to get it right, I just hope they can. Whatever Capcom come up with though, at least they won't have all the limiting factors that "Rod Lima" has been subject to.

August 2, 2015 at 5:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Sorry for my belated penny's worth, I have been a bit reluctant to leave Skyrim, so much so it was only going to be a development of this monumental level to bring me home. It's been really interesting to read so many views, albeit quite depressing ones ! So here is my take on a definite remake of Biohazard 2.

I say definite because I just cannot see how Capcom can make any direct reference of any kind to a considered remake of Biohazard 2 unless it is already very much fully in development. This 'tell H what you think' patronising bullshit doesn't wash with me, and comes across like an amateurish viral campaign. For such a significant statement I also found it very odd that it broke so nonchalantly on a Facebook page. I just expected a little more professionalism and gravitas afforded to such a press release. Capcom also know exactly what the feeling & demand is for a Biohazard 2 remake, every Resident Evil site out there from the smallest to the largest has threads dedicated to just this desire, there are whole websites & blogs just dedicated to this desire alone; the facebook messages are in my opinion just an appalling way to begin the ground swell of enthusiasm & hype for a game already being developed. I would have preferred the format used for launching the remake of FF7 into the public eye, rather than these badly written (childish) messages from 'H' which demean Biohazard 2; you'd think it was a school project the manner & language used for these facebook posts. I've hated the way this has all been marketed. Three massive games expos on the horizon, EGX, GAMESCOM, TGS, and this is how Capcom brake the news of a Biohazard 2 remake. Poor show.

I am extremely excited & positive for this remake because I believe it is inspired by, and it's development will be directed by the success of Resident Evil Remaster HD, which was successful despite the three features which some seem to think just can't be tolerated by a modern audience - fixed camera angles, typewriters, and pre-rendeed backgrounds. That just isn't the case, and has yet to be proven with a contemporary game failing from using these features. The reality is that in the abscence of some of these more tradditional features, gamers have become disallusioned with shiny great looking games that are dull, uninspirational, bland and over reliant on dumbed down gameplay & violence. The success stories in the video game industry over the last two years have been those games that dare to employ a little character, something different, and from developers who are prepared to not shy away from old school successful game mechanics. If fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds, and typewriters were these plagues to the modern gamer then the sales figures for Resident Evil Remaster would have been less than half the figure achieved.

And what is the 'modern' gamer anyway, because I would guess that there are more 30,40 and 50 something Resident Evil gamers out there who would open their wallets up to Capcom for a RE2 remake with these tradditional game mechanics than teenagers ready to part with their pocket money for another Resident Evil 5 or 6 style. There is an enormous market for fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds & typewriters because those that bought Resident Evil 2 in 1998 are still an active market of video gamers - we've not gone anywhere, and we're starving for puzzles & save rooms... and there are actually thousands of 'modern day' gamers out there with wallets to open up for intelligent survival horror, as seen by the enormous meltdown for PT and growing number of independantly funded PT inspired developments such as Alison Road and Night Cry. Japan alone has a market for a tradditional survival horror game with a static camera large enough to make this profitable for Capcom, and the poor response to Resident Evil 6 as compared with the unexptected sales figures for RE HD underlines this.

@CrimsonElder I agree this has very much come about almost entirely because of the unexpectedly very high sales for RE HD, which continues to sell and paves the way for new comers to digest the 'three plagues'. I don't agree though that so many are ignorant of who is at Capcom, many who don't frequent RE communities online are still very knowledable about the video game industry, many of whom embrace more games on a wider range and so don't participate in particular individual game communities, but they know what they liked about RE2 and far out number those wanting another RE6 - where do you get the fact that this is what the majority want ?

@TheBatman I don't see where your negativity is justified with what has been going on in the video game industry, inside & outside of the Resident Evil circle for over a year now. Gamers that have grown up after the first generation of RE titles have begun to turn their backs on the over saturation of alternatives to tradditional survival horror. If RE HD had even been released to average sales I would have agreed with you. RE6 was a sales disaster for Capcom, another reason why a modern audience may just stomach save rooms & static camera angles if the atmosphere, gameplay keeps them from turning off their console. One of the reasons I hated the PS1 generation of games, thinking they looked terrible compared to the 2D sprites of the previous generation, it was as if these games had pushed the PS1's technology too far, these 3D polygons looked appalling. But these games sold because not everyone is a graphics whore and games such as RE1 and Timesplitters what they lacked in beauty they more than made up with gameplay & atmosphere - what so many modern games now lack....

...And so we get the HD remakes of FF7 and now RE2, originals that were dripping in atmosphere and superb game mechanics that heighten the gameplay enjoyment, with atmosphere & narratives that pulled the gamer deeper into a personal experience with the game. And the use of fixed cameras, pre-rendered backgrounds, ink ribbons, puzzles that made you think, cry and talk about on forums, which were behind the success of the original RE games, and significantly were omitted from an era that has proven an overall failure for Capcom, will be a welcome relief to all those grown tired with the alternative (significantly not just 40+ RE nerds like me as shown with RE HD sales) and more than tolerated by the under 30s and even the teens who have shown in numbers finincially enticing to game developers that they are sophisticated enough to enjoy (and buy) tradditional survival horror. Capcom have now seen there's a big market for 'retro' fixed camera, non-linear survival horror with pre-rendered backgrounds & save rooms with a proven track record, when the contemporary is so uninspiring & generic.

I don't agree that Capcom would be doing this, only to change all the game mechanics that made Resident Evil a genre phenomenum and built most of Capcom's financial success at that time, there is just no logical point or evidence to suggest this would even be finacialy advantageous to Capcom if they did that; it would completely fly in the face of the sales figures for both RE6 and RE HD. I completely agree with you about Ada though !

As to what I want, I'm now confused because I did think it was something like the video CrimsonElder posted, but I completely agree with Survivalist, it's sterile and lacks all the charm of the original.... charm... does charm have to look & feel 'old' ? And so now I'm thinking about the HD remaster of CVX and what aspects of that remaster improved the original, such as the enhanced item models and lighting. I have on file every screen from the PC ports of RE2 & RE3 (thanks to Ridley) and just playing through those instead of the resolution the GameCube / Dreamcast would be an immense treat for me personaly, but as a financial viability, having that PC resolution enjoyed by a console market with updated character models, lighting, sound, extra modes, and maybe somehow restructuring both RE2 AND RE3 into one entire & complete Raccoon City outbreak escaping experience, canon friendly too with RE2 split either side of Carlos's antidote mission, would be the remake Resident Evi 2 deserves and needs.

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

August 2, 2015 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Nice post GT you put alot of thought into that one. I agree with all of it however I can understand peoples cautious approach to being excited about its release. However I refuse to write the game off yet and get excited about it until we get more information and some gameplay. Right now I am trying to remain on the fence so to speak. I think you are right though I do not understand how Capcom could see the response via Facebook which is 99% Remake HD style over RE6 style. Then go and make it RE6 style for that 1%. The only thing that makes me think Capcom might do this is because they simply cannot make a game Remake HD style because they have never made a project like that before. Granted they touched up the original Remake and updated it to HD however starting from scratch is a whole other thing.

On the other hand that doesnt mean we should completley write them off as of yet because we dont really know the answer to that question. So until I see further evidence there really isnt anyway I could safely support either way.

August 2, 2015 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

"I am extremely excited & positive for this remake because I believe it is inspired by, and it's development will be directed by the success of Resident Evil Remaster HD"

Yes, George Trevor. I don't believe there is any mystery, or shame, in a long-term Resident Evil follower being excited about this project. Generally speaking, I am as, probably more cynical than the next guy, but I don't feel that it's at all naive to react positively to this news.

RER2 was a success for Capcom. Coupled with the fact that the HD REmake did so well, this latest development seems to have come about at the right time. Capcom have tested the waters. With these exercises, as well as the upcoming RE0 HD, I think they are attempting to reshape peoples' perception the brand, and in so doing, their expectations. In any case there are clearly enough people who are asking for the right thing to suggest it would be totally counter-intuitive for Capcom to attempt to offer anything other than what is being demanded, as both Crimson Elder and George Trevor have already detailed. I think Capcom will try their best to satisfy this demand.

So, the starting point is that their intentions, I believe, will be correct. The question is, can they do it? Are they capable? A different team working on a game should not necessarily be a death knell. Thinking about other franchises, Bioshock 2 was developed by a different team to the original, and the product was excellent, and absolutely convincing. Silent Hill Origins did a very good job at replicating the series' look and feel, despite not being spearheaded by Konami. I expect there are similar stories from other games I am not aware of.

The current team at Capcom have not yet managed to pull of "classic RE". However, RER2, despite not really holding together, contained some excellent, convincing environments, and was paced in a way obviously not intended to pander to "modern gamers". In many ways it resembled RE4 to me, and if Capcom are regressing, perhaps we can see RER2 as a bridge further back into the series earlier character, before RE4. I see the potential in RER2 to create atmosphere, decent puzzles, and decent structure. And they went into that blind. They have now exercised their Survival Horror muscle, it has grown, and they show potential. Potential meaning capable of being or becoming. The work they are doubtless doing to improve the renders for RE0 will allow Capcom to further get to grips with how the eariler games were able to achieve that dense, dripping atmosphere. And I believe they are doing a pretty thorough job with that.

I would not be particularly excted about another Revelations installment. However, I am excited for this remake. The difference is that in this case, my hope (not yet my expectation; mustn't sound too naive) is that this potential can be informed, and directed by the highly distinctive template of the original.

Of course, we will see.

August 3, 2015 at 6:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Oh George, your post is the perfect example of exactly the point I am making. Totally blinded by nostalgia and a longing for times past.

You cannot use REHD as an example of what people want. It's not comparable because it was just an asthetic lick of paint given to an already completed game. Although the final result on the whole was positive, it still massively divided the fans who argued bitterly about how much or how little effort Capcom actually made with it. Although the likes of us enjoyed it, it was still done on the cheap as none of the backgrounds were rerendered or redrawn because it was a budget project. It was also released at a budget price. Its sales so far are 1.4 million units, which is good for a 13 year old game and the minimal effort that went into it considering its just an HD remaster. But it's not enough for a new game that needs to be built from the ground up, which is the case with a RE2 remake.

A remake of RE2 will cost ten times the budget and ten times the development time so Capcom will need to sell a helll of a lot more than 1.4 million units to justify it - and they simply won't do that with a game with pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed cameras - because aside from seasoned RE veterans - that is not what people want in 2016. You ask what modern gaming is and its an era of hand holding with direction objective arrows rather than maps, checkpoints instead of ink ribbons, big gunfights instead of tension, over the shoulder third person view rather than fixed camera etc etc. Modern gaming is Resident Evil 6. The glory days of true survival horror are just not profitable anymore. Take Alien Isolation for example. I stand here and say that's my favourite game of the last 5 years. It drips with horror and atmosphere, perfectly uses the Alien licence with triple A production values and is even counted as canon by 20th century fox. It also got excellent reviews. What more could you want from an Alien game right? Result: Just over 2 million sales and deemed a failure by Sega.

You also say RE6 was a sales disaster for Capcom - that's just not true. RE6 is Capcom's second most successful game of all time, selling 6.3 million units. The problem with sales was that it simply didn't sell as much as Capcom predicted. But the result is still there at the end of the day, most people acknowledge RE6 is a mess but sales wise its done well. But because development costs were so expensive, it has been deemed a failure in terms of profit.

RE2 remake will need to achive at the very minimum 4 million to be considered a success - I cannot be totally accurate because it remains to be seen how much effort is going to go into this remake. But that is why it won't be pre-rendered, with ink ribbons or anything else, because that's not what peopple want - aside from us and we don't matter in the long scheme of things.

Revelations 2 also can't really be used as a comparable example because that too was a budget game without any massive expectations therefore Capcom could afford to take a few risks and scale down the action and make it a bit more old-school - but even then it was still miles away from early RE titles.

Someone also said that 99% of people want fixed camera and 1% don't. That's also rubbish. The facebook feedback is massively divided with plenty of people wanting an RE4 style experience.

Fans love the RE1 and RE2 experience, but it is RE4 that is the critically lauded title and RE5 and RE6 that are the most successful in terms of sales. 

So to sum up: you want an old-school true and traditional RE2 experience with pre-rendered fixed cameras, ink ribbons, tank controls etc - Capcom cannot take that risk because a game like that is out of date it pains me to say and will not sell the 4-5 million units needed to justify the costs of building such a game from the ground up to make profit.

And of course we're not even mentioning any of the other issues such as continuity issues, the fact the new team at Capcom can't do criticially successful RE games and that the original RE2's length would need to be massively extended meaning it would pretty much be a new game anyway and barely recognisable.  

August 3, 2015 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

Bandage131 at July 30, 2015 at 8:14 AM

If - if - we were to get a remake that is as respectful to RE2 as the Remake was to RE1, then I'd be all for it.

We won't get that.

Bandage131 what makes you so certain we won't get just that? TheBatman also feels this way but I heard as many detractors make similar claims in the lead up to the RE4 and CVX HD Revival Selection, and these were both successful for Capcom in terms of critical reviews and sales. Of the two HD remasters it was the older CVX that most benefited from the upscale. Technicaly why could this not be done with the original engine for RE2? Anything else has already been done with ORC and DSC so I think much of these reservations are misplaced, at least until we know more about the way this project will be developed.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

August 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

I have to disagree with Batman about there being more of a demand for RE6 style gameplay over Remake. On just Facebook alone the top comments where all for Remake style gameplay and none were for RE6. This is just Facebook granted however everyone else I have spoke to or heared speak about it via word of mouth, IGN, Comment sections, Youtube videos and more all say that they want RE to return to this style. You have to take into account that Remake also only sold 1.4 because it was digital download only apart from Japan and also alot of people had already played this game and refused to buy it again especially digitally when they own a hardcopy.

Personally I think that Capcom feel like there isnt a demand for Survival Horror games and are afraid to delve into this market incase their fears are correct. I agree about Alien Isolation however as much of a huge franchise that is, it is not a popular gaming franchise and it is possible people were not expecting much to come from it and also Alien Colonial Marines burnt alot of bridges for fans of that series. Also and I am not ashamed to admit this but I really struggled with this game initially. It took me around 2 hours just to get the hang of it. After about 30 minutes I found it really difficult and hard to follow in terms of gameplay and traversing the map. I nearly sold the game myself but thank god I didnt because I decided to give it another go and then I feel in love with the game. It is outstanding and a real traversty about those sales.

Anyway a series like Resident Evil I dont think will have the same problems. Also Dead Space was a Survival Horror game and even Last Of Us and both of those were well recieved critically and with the fans. Prerendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles is a whole other story but I think that unless Capcom are willing to take that chance again who knows the truth. As far as Remake went though I believe that it showed there is still a healthy market and it suprised alot of people and even Capcom. Maybe they are now willing to take that risk.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

But it's non-canon, you can't be caught reading that!

August 3, 2015 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Disagree all you want but of course there is more demand for an RE6 experience. 6.3 million compared to 1.4 million. The figures don't lie and just because it is digital only doesn't make a dent of difference. Of course RE fans want old school, that is in no doubt, but I'm talking about the gamer in general, which is whom Capcom are going to be targeting. The top comments on facebook may be for old school, but there are still hundreds clamouring for an RE4 game and it's that inconsistency that is the core of the problem.

Alien is also a massive gaming franchise. It's one of the most popular and longest-running gaming licenses out there and AVP classic is probably the defining game that sparked off the multiplayer and online gaming era. With Isolation, Creative Assembly took a massive gamble by targeting only the hard core Alien fan base and ignored general gaming demands - and although critically successful, it failed in terms of units sold and profit. That is exactly why a RE2 remake will not be the same. Capcom cannot take that risk by soley bowing to the demands of old school fans who want that classic PS1 experience.

And again, the RE4HD and CVXHD cannot be compared to this. They were asthetic touch ups done on a modest budget, not new games created from the ground up.

August 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Well I have to disagree because I have yet to see a single person ask for Remake 2 in the style of RE6. 6.3 million sales is impressive however alot of those sales were initially and the reviews that followed were less impressive as well as fan feedback. I can actually think of more people who bought the game and did not complete it than those who bought the game finished all the campaigns and liked it. So yes it is good for them to recieve those sales however going into the next game alot of those 6.3 million might not be as quick to rush out and pay their money again. If RE7 or Remake 2 is going to be in that style of gameplay I dont think they will be getting those kind of sales again. Actually digital only does make a difference when people are openly stating I am not buying this game because there is no hard copy so of course it makes a difference. Actually I know alot of casual RE gamers who are telling me that they want the old school style and another RE6 project is something they are not interested in and would not shell out the money. The gaming world is a different place from when RE6 was released. It used to be a case of they would go on the previous games hype or performance and maybe a review from a gaming site. However now with Youtube and reviewers like Angry Joe yes people are being more smart with their money not everyone of course but there is a larger audience who has smartened up. In short the average gamer now has more knowledge than ever before.

Alien does have a history of games however my point is it has never been a huge franchise. They have never reached impressive sales, especially on console. I would say that games like Doom are more the godfathers of online gaming and wouldnt really associate AVP with that honour. I do think that Alien Colonial Marines and the poor AVP title did have alot to do with that games failure and I can say this because I rushed out and bought both Alien CM and AVP and was seriously let down so when it came to Alien Isolation I did not rush out and buy and rather I waited for reviews and positive feedback. So alot of people did the same thing or just completley ignored the title because of its track record with its previous games which is exactly my point that I made above about RE6. Alot of people were dissapointed with RE5 and RE6 so RE7 may suffer in terms of sales even if it is a critical success because of its previous games. You are only as good as your previous game and if there is no hype in the previous title then the next one is going to suffer from that. Just take a look at RE4's response with RE5. RE4 was a critical hit so of course when RE5 came out people were hyped because of the previous game. Nobody was hyped after RE6 in fact I vividly remember all the forums being more than usually dead and uninspired as little as a week after that game dropped.

So by making the RE2 fans want and advertising it as that I think that is the smartest move Capcom can make right now. By all means they can have it their way and make the kind of game you are expecting them to make but that will end in a lack of sales and a ton of negative feedback from hardcores and casuals alike. Which is why I am suprised they are even making this game because they are taking a massive risk in losing a whole lot of fans especially the casuals who are fans of the original. There is alot for them to gain here and even more for them to lose so they have to take their time and make sure they get this right.

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

But it's non-canon, you can't be caught reading that!

August 4, 2015 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Then you are not looking very hard. Spend 10 minutes going through the facebook feedback and you will see its very inconsistent. Yes a majority want classic RE2 but there are plenty that want a modern RE2 as well, and that's just the RE fanbase. Capcom have to consider people who love 4, 5 and 6 and were perhaps too young to have played the original trilogy. Static cameras and tank controls are just too outdated.

Digital only makes no difference because its only a minor, minor fraction of very stubborn individuals who absolutely refuse to buy a game because it is not on a disc. It's a viewpoint I still don't really understand myself in all honesty. I understand the appeal of a disc, but why miss out on what is essentially an improved version of one of your favourite games of all time just because its digital only? 

I'm also not denying RE6 was a mess, but the style of its gameplay had appeal to a wide audience which is what generated those sales to begin with. Having RE2 remake done in the old style will only appeal to a limited audience - resulting in limited sales. Why do you think REmake HD only has 1.4 million sales considering it is now available to a massively broad audience rather than just Nintendo owners? Answer is because it's gameplay style and mechanics only appeals to a limited audience - old school RE fan owners. I realise that sales will be affected by many people already owning it and refusing to buy another version, but even still 1.4 is still a hell of a long way of 6.3, and even now, 6 is selling more units than Remake HD.

Yes RE6 was bad and there will be little hype for RE7 which is exactly why Capcom are now scraping the barrel and going back to past glories in a desperate attempt to retain some relevance. It's the clearest sign yet they have no faith in themselves to drag Resident Evil back to the pinnacle of what it once was, so now instead they need to ruin what we've already got.

I know I have come across as extremely negative about all this but believe it or not, I want the same thing you do. A proper, old-school Resident Evil experience with fixed cameras and bucket loads of atmosphere - but at the same time I am a realist and I know we are not going to get that.

Everyone who made RE2 has left Capcom. The team making it will be the RE6 team. Memories of a Lost City proved modern Capcom don't even know the plot of their own game. ORC showed that Capcom have no interest in the integety of the timeline anymore. This remake will only even further fracture RE3 and Outbreak by including new things that will make them simply not fit in the canon. 

So I say it again, this is a nightmare waiting to happen.

August 4, 2015 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

I, for one, have piss poor internet, with data limits. That's the only thing stopping me from enjoying digital-only games, otherwise I'd have no problem with purely digital distribution.

I said this over on Biohaze, and I know it's extremely wishful thinking, but I believe Capcom needs to look at the 3.5 style of camera angles until you aim and over-the-shoulder while aming. I think it would please both camps. As I said, it's wishful thinking, but I also think Capcom should seriously consider it.

August 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

I cannot think of any further speculation worth making on the nature of a RE2 remake or the state of Capcom, but I believe something can be said about the current gaming environment, and whether that would be conducive to a true remake. 

"6.3 million compared to 1.4 million. The figures don't lie..."

Yes, TheBatMan, they don't lie, but they simply cannot be taken at face value either; there are numerous factors to consider with them.

If the next major RE game were to be released in the RE6 vein, that figure of 6.3 million would be much reduced. Of course, I would buy it, but it would be despite myself. The more casual RE fan would not. Just because people bought RE6 three years ago doesn't mean they would do the same again. I'm sure Capcom are capable of subtler thought than that. I addition, I expect the sales REmake HD would have been quite significantly affected by the fact that many people already own the original. And you're right, the fact that it's digital only wouldn't account for a massive sales loss, but, again, it's definitely a factor.

Of couse, there are people offering other viewpoints favouring the latter style, but the overwhelming proportion are asking for a faithful remake. It really is overwhelming. The sheer number is staggering, compared to the paltry few voices opting for a disaster. Yes, techincally speaking, every possible suggestion has probably been made (pushing 3000 comments right now). They do vary. Technically. "Don't do it", "Do it like RE4/RE6", "Do an entirely new game in the old style", "Remake *insert other RE title*", etc), but the massive majority want the right thing, both in terms of the nature of the comments, and the number of "likes" given to those comments. I know likes aren't currency, but I honestly don't think Capcom could fly in the face of that. It would kill them.

I don't think the discrepancy between today's market and that of 15-or-so years ago is especially black and white either. As Crimson Elder points out, Dead Space and The Last Of Us are both highly commercially and critically successful franchises, and are relatively sophisticated in terms of tone and narrative. Metro Redux (which simply brought together Metro: Last Light and Metro: 2033 Redux, both excellent games) has tipped 1.5 million sales, and that was a re-release of a franchise the fraction of the size of RE. I absolutely agree that Alien Isolation is the best game released in years. Easily so. But again, but interest in the Alien games franchise is much smaller (pea-sized, after Colonic Irrigation Marines) than that of RE's. It also doesn't have foundations that resonate so profoundly, like RE does with us. The RE fanbase is much bigger, and far less casual.

The lacklustre nature of many modern games is being noticed and criticized more now than it was perhaps 3 or 4 years ago, too. Gamers are getting smarter. Hype/marketing don't sell quite so well (the fucking abyssmal The Order 1886 has just about reached 1m, if the source is correct). People seem more likely to purchase on a game's merits. And word spreads so fast these days. Also, the exponentially growing indie games market (now a significant factor in next-gen games sales) is playing a fantastic role in steering people's expectations away from generic gameplay by giving games a soul, and the players some credit. I don't think indie and mainstream gamers are two distinct markets anymore. As has previously been stated, the enormous amount of excitement for PT (which would have doubtless been a commercial success) again demonstrates that gaming in 2015 hasn't become institutionalised. It is not one thing. I teach in a primary school, and had one (rather unprofessional) conversation with an 11-year-old boy about fighting REmake HD's tyrant, since he had downloaded the game. I understand that he's not necessarily representative, but millions of 11-year-olds, myself being one of them, enjoyed RE1 when that came out. And you can trust me when I say that many boys, at least in my school, have played Slender: The Arrival, and love it (not that I necessarily agree).

I don't think gaming has to be considered era-specific. Of course, today's 11-year-olds are capable of enjoying traditional survival horror. I know this, because I and most of my friends were able to. But at the moment, there are just not so many of those games out there. As well as this, George Trevor correctly and importantly pointed out that we've not gone anywhere. Those millions of us who enjoyed the early RE games as highlights of our younger years. Whether of not we've stuck doggedly (and somewhat against our better judgement) with the series, we will account for a massive number of sales, if Capcom do the right thing. Clearly, not everyone who bought the PS1 releases will be purchasing for PS4 (etc), but many, many will.

Anyway, I don't think that today's environment is necessarily incompatilbe with a true remake of RE2.

And Bandage131, I think I very much like your idea. I'd obviously prefer renders, but, given the graphical fidelity consoles are now capable of, that is a very credible, and perhaps acceptable concession Capcom could make.

August 4, 2015 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

[Batman's quote] Digital only makes no difference because its only a minor, minor fraction of very stubborn individuals who absolutely refuse to buy a game because it is not on a disc. It's a viewpoint I still don't really understand myself in all honesty. I understand the appeal of a disc, but why miss out on what is essentially an improved version of one of your favourite games of all time just because its digital only? [/quote]

If I can't own the thing I buy then I won't bother. 

If the next RE is digital only or if Zero has story additions like DMC4: SE added to the remaster then I'll leave the series. 

--

August 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AvP Ryu

They have now said it is official:

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

--

Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

August 12, 2015 at 12:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

They are going to fuck this up.

--

August 12, 2015 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

I'm holding off expectations until at least a gameplay trailer. I simply ask for the 3.5 camera style. Do I think we'll get it? Probably not.

August 12, 2015 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

I was just about to post this, you beat me to it. I cant believe it is official. Well lets hope the first gameplay trailer is good.

August 12, 2015 at 3:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.