Crimson Head Elder Resident Evil website community

CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Tome and Community

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE RACCOON PRESS > Resident Evil 2 Remake

BSAArklay

Well if Resident Evil 2 Remake was ever so close to happening this has to be it. Capcom R&D Division 1 has just posted the following message:

Hello Resident Evil fans! This is Capcom R&D Division 1! First off, we would like to express our deepest appreciation to all Resident Evil fans, for your passion, enthusiasm and continued support for the Resident Evil brand. Enthusiasm for a Resident Evil 2 Remake is something we've been hearing from you over the years, and has drawn some recent attention in the media. However, as the team owns the RE brand, we're not certain how we feel about this approach, and would like to ask your honest and frank opinion about the “Resident Evil 2 Remake” and what the brand identity is supposed to be about?

In just 2 hours the message recieved 8 thousand likes and 3,200 comments. The majority of people are asking for a Remake in the style of the original Remake. Thank god nobody that I have seen is asking for a Remake in the style of current Resident Evil like RE 4,5 and 6. I can only encourage all RE fans who read this to visit the link and support the comment that relates to you the best. It seem's to me like this is happening wether you like it or not because the demand is huge! If it was up to me I dont trust them with it and I would say just leave it alone. However this is going to happen wether its in the next year or not only time will tell but with such demand and Capcom always going where the demand is I have never been so sure about the fact that Resident Evil 2 will be remade.

Major props and respect to anyone who purchased Remake HD because those 1 million plus sales have shown Capcom exactly where the real money is and seem's to have cleared the smoke and we are prevailing through those dark times. Wether Capcom has it in them to make a game with the quality of the old school originals remains to be seen and I have my doubts but as long as they are trying I dont think we can ask for much more can we? Anyway don't sleep on this and make your voice heard because it is more important now than it ever has been.

Source: Resident Evil facebook page

--

"I've had enough of your bullshit! Your just another one of Umbrella's leftovers"

July 29, 2015 at 11:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Seriously why would anyone want this? There is no way it can work.

I've let Capcom know how I feel.

July 30, 2015 at 4:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

If - if - we were to get a remake that is as respectful to RE2 as the Remake was to RE1, then I'd be all for it.

We won't get that.

July 30, 2015 at 8:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

This thing seems to be getting out of control. The original post near 16 thousand likes and near 7 thousand comments. This is a serious hype train. This is only the people who use Facebook, are aware of this post, and have used Facebook in the last 11 hours. There is more news. Capcom has posted a reply and pretty much confirmed they are making the game:

Hi Resident Evil fans! This is H from Capcom R&D Division 1! Wow...!! I was told by my boss to check out the post by "R&D Division 1" on the Resident Evil Facebook page, and THIS IS AMAZING.... Thank you so much for your passion and continued support for Resident Evil brand! He was also telling me...“can YOU make a worth seeing game to answer these fans full of passion??? This order actually makes me SUPER excited...!!!

@TheBatman I have no idea who would want this but I think I can tell you why they want this. Most people are under the impression that the team that made the original RE2 as still at the company. They believe that the team are choosing to not make a game like RE2 but still have the ability to. Serious this RE2 Remake thing has been out of control for a while. Most casual articles on RE that you read the top comment is something like 'Give us RE2 Remake Capcom!'. Not only are they not aware of what they are really asking for. Alot of them dont care and would love to see a Resident Evil 6 version of RE2. Like I said I am not happy about it either and would prefer it be left alone and untarnished. But since this is going to happen regardless of how some of the hardcore's feel. When has that ever stopped Capcom in the passed? So we might as well make our voice's heard and try to steer them in the right direction rather than sit back and let the casuals try to steer them.

@Bandage Judging from the posts on Facebook the majority decsion by 99.9% is a Remake like the original. Either Capcom go against everyones wishes and give us some crap nobody asked for which they can shove it and everyone should refuse to buy. Or they try to make something that we are asking for and fail. It's a huge risk for Capcom. To be honest I always thought they would save it for a rainy day. Like when they were on their last legs. I know they are down abit but I dont think its at that stage.

July 30, 2015 at 8:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

Seriously, with a possibility of an RE2 remake, and the upcoming FF7 remake, it's clear that Square and probably Capcom as well believe that the big money is going to be made by revisiting the classic PS1 days. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. We just have to wait and see.

July 30, 2015 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

It won't work. The story will be changed, the game mechanics will be chnged and they sure as hell won't use static camera angles in 2016. It will also create countless continuity errors with RE3 and Outbreak. It won't have the same soul or passion of the original RE2 and a zombie outbreak in a city was fresh in 1998, now it happens almost every week in videogaming. 

People want this remake because all they think about is the graphical update. If this game goes ahead its got 7/10 all over it. It will be 'quite good' but nowhere near a patch on the original, therefore making the whole thing completely pointless.

I'd rather they reboot completely, at least that way they can fuck up as much as they want but at least the original series will be intact.

July 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

I'm frightened of what route they'd even take with a reboot, honestly. If the series were to end tomorrow, even with the dangling thread of Ada Wong, then I'd be fine with it. I made up my mind years ago that Ada's true loyalties are purely to Leon, not to anyone else, so if they were to reveal who she really worked for, it would likely be anti-climactic.

And, honestly, her loyalties would likely end up like that anyway. Unless she's been working for some secret puppet master who was Sergei'd into the series (which would be ridiculous), who could she really work for?

July 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

Capcom haven't got a clue what to do with Ada. That was clear in 6. That's also my point when I say the storyline is broken. Even if Capcom decided to make RE7 the final game in the series, it's impossible to bring it to a satisfying conclusion because there is no villain and no clear end goal for the characters. That's probably one of the many reasons they are tempted to go backwards rather than forwards. 

July 30, 2015 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command

This would be a good thing if they went through EVERYTHING ever written for Biohazard relating to Raccoon City. That way they won't contradict Outbreak, Umbrella Chronicles, or anything else. And then they can possiblely expand on some of the smaller details! However we know that won't be happening.... So I agree with Batman 100% I'd reboot!

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM

“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

July 30, 2015 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

TheBatMan at July 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM

It won't work. The story will be changed, the game mechanics will be chnged and they sure as hell won't use static camera angles in 2016. It will also create countless continuity errors with RE3 and Outbreak. It won't have the same soul or passion of the original RE2 and a zombie outbreak in a city was fresh in 1998, now it happens almost every week in videogaming. 

People want this remake because all they think about is the graphical update. If this game goes ahead its got 7/10 all over it. It will be 'quite good' but nowhere near a patch on the original, therefore making the whole thing completely pointless.

I'd rather they reboot completely, at least that way they can fuck up as much as they want but at least the original series will be intact.

I couldn't agree more with all this. Back in 2002/3 I wanted one with the same teams involved and to be treated with the respect that Remake got even though Bio 2 and 3 don't need Remakes, everything was executed perfectly. I just wanted new modes like Real Survival and Invisible enemy mode added. Now though with the original team gone and very little talent the people at Capcom have, I would have signed a petition to stop a Remake from getting made.

I would have to respectfully disagree with a zombie outbreak the way it's done in 2 not being fresh. While it's true zombie outbreaks are overdone now, the way it culminates in Bio 2 compared to other stories is what really sets it apart and makes it just like the original game itself...timeless. While other games/books/movies show zombies taking over cities with just bites as a means of multiplying, which is very hard for me to swallow. Having a viral agent enter the water supply of a city, along with thousands of rodents/insects sneaking up on unsuspecting people makes for a much more serious and believable scenario of a city being overwhelmed and taken over by the undead for me. Not to mention that the virus itself starts off as airborne if I remember right from Inside of Biohazard.

July 30, 2015 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay

Again I agree with everyone here but we cannot ignore the demand just like Capcom most definatley will not. In just one day the comment has recieved 22,000 likes. Lets say they sell the game at £40 a pop even though new games go for £50 now. 22,000 times 40 equals to just shy of a million, 880,000 to be exact. This is if only everyone who liked this comment buys the game and this is after only one day. Not everyone uses Facebook, Liked the RE page, has seen this post and this is just for English speakers. There is no way Capcom will turn their heads away from this kind of money. The game is as good as guaranteed to happen. I am trying to remain positive and look at the outcome. If Capcom make this and they go the old school route, type writers, ink ribbons and fixed camera angels. What do they have to lose?

They know there is a huge audience who wants it. Can they really expect to draw in as many new fans to the series as who are anticipating a Remake? I dont think so. I dont think there is much room for era for them here. Alot of people have given up on the series and a sub par Resident Evil 2 Remake will send a ton of people over the edge. Can they really afford to lose their average casual gamer audience? The same people who are asking for this Remake. They better play this safe or they might find themselves in a worldwide of shit if they mess this up and this time it is not just from the hardcores but the casual RE fans as well.

Remaking this game in an RE5/6 style will please very few people and the casual fans already washed their hands with the series after ORC and RE6. So they are not as gullable anymore. They will take one look at the trailer and if they dont like it they wont buy it. I can only speak for what I have seen but I have seen casuals everywhere not being sucked into their false advertising anymore.

Lets say the do Remake it and they try to go the survival horror route and they just can't pull it off like the original then I dont think we can condemn them for that. You can't blame someone for trying. We have all been begging for them to try the last decade and if we dont want them to try we are just settling for more games like RE6 and ORC. I know they shouldn't be trying on a classic like RE2 but thats what it will take for them to see this huge demand that we all know exsists. We witnessed it with Remake HD (Best selling PSN game of all time) which has now brought us to RE2 Remake. If that sell's remarkably and out sell's RE6 and Revelations 2. Why would they then return to action for RE7 and lose those extra new sales just for the sake of going back to action. They don't care if it is action as much as they didnt care if it was Survival Horror, the only thing they do care about is money and numbers. So as long as this game tries to be Survival Horror and is a better game than RE6 I say why not support it.

As far as rebooting the series goes. I am 100000000% against that. I would much rather the series run out of steam and come to a crashing halt than to reboot the whole damn thing and start again. I would rather they introduce Alice and make it a hack n slash than rebooting the series. That is not an option for me and I would never support it. We didnt come all this way just to say lets start again. That is where I draw the line in the sand.

July 30, 2015 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

I'm pretty much with Crimson Elder here. Despite the absence of Survivial Horror in 5 and 6, and the diet RER series, I am excited about this. I am one of those people who has been keen for a RE2 remake. They have a clear and highly distinctive template to use, and it seems that the feedback they have received will simply not allow them to stray far from it. I'm being optimistic, but if they can do the game justice, then I want to play the game they create. I was playing RE2 recently, and noticed that the renders, although beautiful from an artistic standpoint, do suffer technically (not nearly as much of an issue for RE3). I have always wished to see Raccoon city fleshed out more too; its destruction at the end of RE3 is probably the saddest computer game moment for me. As thousands have doubtless stated, if they are able to pull of a REmake-like feat, then I couldn't be more enthusiastic. Even the wonderful, subtle update to the soundtrack they did for that game generates passion for this idea. It depends on the right people doing the job. It is a risk I definitely want them to take.

If they were to fail, I don't think they would do so spectacularly, and in any case the original games would of course still be available to enjoy as we have done for many years. I simply do not see the harm. If they preserve the static camera, save system, controls, etc, then it will be hard to completely fuck up, and definitely possible, with the correct philosphy, to make a truly incredible game. It's a chance for Capcom to FOCUS; something they have not done in a long time. The scope has become far too wide. The RE universe is a complete fucking mess now. With this, Capcom can potentially zoom back in and create the sharpest game they have in a long while. Potentially. Rebooting is possibly media's greatest blight of recent years, and I can't think of a worse way forward for the series. RE has pulled in too many directions and the narrative has become a devalued bloated mess that I am unable to generate any intetest in whatsoever. No new characters or villains please Capcom (you haven't introduced a good new character since RER1's Parker). No new organizations. No new viruses. You could attend to your legacy, instead.

Developers such as Nintendo and Konami are taking onboard the untraditional gaming philosophy of mobile gaming. Modern gaming is largely is characterized by generic gameplay and a homogenous soul. I hope this developer, which of late has made slightly better decisions, can maybe do something wonderful; a return to tradition.

July 31, 2015 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBatMan

The problem is Capcom won't use ink ribbons, type writers and fixed camera angles because it doesn't fit to modern gameplay styles. Remember this remake will be as much to cater for new audiences as it is for old fans, and no doubt Capcom will lean much more to new fans because they already know all us old bastards who have been with the series for years will buy the game regardless.

The question of whether they can or cannot pull this off is already answered. This is not the original RE2 team and the current Capcom development team have NEVER created an RE game that has been a citicial success. That's NEVER. They've tried doing 'proper' survival horror with the revelations series and althrough there are one or two good moments, as 'horror' games they fail pretty spectacularly.

I'm sorry but you guys are blinded with nostalgia even daring to believe this will be a success. There's simply no way it can work. People are just thinking about the graphics update and being able to play it on current consoles without looking deeper.

I'm against reboots too but at least if they did that they can mess around and destroy the series as much as they want and the original series is still preserved. But if they make a new canon RE2 that is shit and messes continuity with RE3 and Outbreak then do RE7 and introduce Alice then the last 20 years would be wasted, my entire collection would be burned and I'd be quite depressed at wasting all this time on Resident Evil. A reboot would at least avoid that.

Aside from Remake, I can't even think of a gaming reboot that has been more successful (critically and financially) than the original game, and of course they never work in movies either.

Doing this is like remaking Terminator 2 or Aliens - it will never work. And if you take the time to really evaluate the series since the times of Umbrella Chronicles onwards and analyse the modern gaming market and gameplay styles, you will soon realise that. 

And if you read the facebook feedback, it's pretty clear even the fans don't have a consistent idea of what consitutes a good remake. So how the hell can you expect Capcom to know??

July 31, 2015 at 5:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

I, for one, simply said "maybe it'll work". I know that Capcom's current team hasn't pulled off survival horror yet, but I'm also not writing off their ability to do so in the future.

July 31, 2015 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3

Personally I would hope all they did with the RE2make is use the original game as THE template update the graphics, cutscenes, character models, and add extra game modes. Obviously this means they need to keep fixed camera angles and so called "tank controls" with pre rendered backgrounds. Also bring Alyson Court back as Claire Redfield. Having said all that I have little faith any of this will come to pass. So, while I had hope for Remakes of 2&3 from Mikami and co. I know that will never happen and I have little faith in the current staff's abilities to even come close too pulling off another great game like REmake was and RE2 is.

July 31, 2015 at 4:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

RE2make? Seriously? Can we not come up with a better pun than that?

July 31, 2015 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SkinniMini1

What about REmake 2? Makes more sense grammar wise to me. Tbh, I don't feel a RE2 remake is necessary bc I agree with those who say it won't be what most think it will. They will definitely be taking the modern audience into account thus leading to some significant changes. I won't be completely negative though. If this game is done, I do hope you all are satisfied with the end result no matter how it goes. I would hate to see a RE2 remake outright hated.

July 31, 2015 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3

I'm far from the first person to use the term RE2make rather than the more grammatically correct REmake 2. I believe GT used it (RE2make) in a post in another thread. As for a better pun? I'll leave the word play too those who are far better than I at it.

August 1, 2015 at 1:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Naveed

TheBatMan at July 31, 2015 at 5:43 AM

The problem is Capcom won't use ink ribbons, type writers and fixed camera angles because it doesn't fit to modern gameplay styles. Remember this remake will be as much to cater for new audiences as it is for old fans, and no doubt Capcom will lean much more to new fans because they already know all us old bastards who have been with the series for years will buy the game regardless.

The question of whether they can or cannot pull this off is already answered. This is not the original RE2 team and the current Capcom development team have NEVER created an RE game that has been a citicial success. That's NEVER. They've tried doing 'proper' survival horror with the revelations series and althrough there are one or two good moments, as 'horror' games they fail pretty spectacularly.

I'm sorry but you guys are blinded with nostalgia even daring to believe this will be a success. There's simply no way it can work. People are just thinking about the graphics update and being able to play it on current consoles without looking deeper.

I'm against reboots too but at least if they did that they can mess around and destroy the series as much as they want and the original series is still preserved. But if they make a new canon RE2 that is shit and messes continuity with RE3 and Outbreak then do RE7 and introduce Alice then the last 20 years would be wasted, my entire collection would be burned and I'd be quite depressed at wasting all this time on Resident Evil. A reboot would at least avoid that.

Aside from Remake, I can't even think of a gaming reboot that has been more successful (critically and financially) than the original game, and of course they never work in movies either.

Doing this is like remaking Terminator 2 or Aliens - it will never work. And if you take the time to really evaluate the series since the times of Umbrella Chronicles onwards and analyse the modern gaming market and gameplay styles, you will soon realise that. 

And if you read the facebook feedback, it's pretty clear even the fans don't have a consistent idea of what consitutes a good remake. So how the hell can you expect Capcom to know??

I totally agree with TheBatMan, capcom now is incapable of making a survival horror game....and i am still waiting for a Resident Evil with just One Character...Every RE after RE4 had 2 characters even Chronicles series....Imagine Remake of RE2 gets 3rd person camera and 2 characters all the time....I don't want to think about it...please capcom leave it alone...

August 1, 2015 at 5:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Naveed at August 1, 2015 at 5:49 AM

TheBatMan at July 31, 2015 at 5:43 AM

I totally agree with TheBatMan, capcom now is incapable of making a survival horror game....and i am still waiting for a Resident Evil with just One Character...Every RE after RE4 had 2 characters even Chronicles series....Imagine Remake of RE2 gets 3rd person camera and 2 characters all the time....I don't want to think about it...please capcom leave it alone...

In my opinion it is not that Capcom is incapable of making Survival Horror games anymore, while I don't like it I still view Revelations 2 as the first Survival Horror game they made since Outbreak file 2. I understand that everyone has their own way of interpreting what makes a Survival Horror game but for me it's just down to two key elements. The said game attempting to be Horrror based, and low/limited supplies which Rev2 has. When all is said and done though Capcom can't just throw limited supplies into this Remake and call it a day. A Remake of 2 of the same caliber of the original Remake requires a dedication, understanding, and love for the game that I just don't see that anyone has who works at Capcom right now. Everyone is treating it as some money printing machine and thats all they will be thinking about while making this remake. While yes this is how business is, and it's always been about making money for the higher-ups, but just take the  in-game letter Shinji Mikami wrote in Remake after clearing invisible enemy mode for example. It's that type of mentality which is missing from the game designers and scenario writers now.

August 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.